My HorrorHound Weekend Experience

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

BEST CON EVER!!!! And that is saying a lot…..

Alright….Let’s get down to business. First off, we decided early on that we weren’t going to even bother with attempting to see Robert Englund. Yes. I get that he’s Freddy from our nightmares, but a virtual queue is a headache and a half.  People that did it unsuccessfully had a bad weekend; our decision of opting out of doing it might’ve saved our day. 

Saturday is usually the busiest day of a 3-day convention, but it seemed as though the crowd wasn’t as crazy as it was back at HHW in March…I don’t know if that’s because only 3 Walking Dead stars attended this one or maybe because the line was for Englund above all else…Or because the prices are high (and getting ridiculously higher)….$50 for England will only get you an autograph (no posed pic & no personalized signature (what!?) ) 

My family and I might have made the most wonderful memories at this convention. Let’s just say that timing surprisingly was on our side. I can’t share every single moment on here because I don’t feel like writing a whole novel (tempting….tempting….nah). But I will happily share my highlights of the event…..Okay….it’s pretty much a book.

HIGHLIGHTS

ROBERT RUSLER -- 3rd time meeting Robert felt like the other two times….He’s an honorary member of our family… :D We talked a lot about Black Asylum and just his directions of pursuing the entertainment biz from behind the camera.  Fascinating & intelligent fella…& so wild & crazy! I had already met Free Signer SEAN CLARK and got a signed pic of him. My mom got one, too. Well, Robert took our signed pictures and signed ’em on the house…..My brother got a DVD signed.  Robert took individual pics with my family……But before I even went over to chat with Robert….Not too long after, while I was trying to take a great picture with Sean, Robert ran to jump into my pic….*laughing* So, we said that we’d try, again, so I could have a pic with just Sean…..And Robert ran into our pic, again…..Man, he’s quick!…..Alright…One more time. We took another picture and Robert tried to get in that one, but didn’t make it in….It’s not that I didn’t want Robert in the picture….I just wanted a normal pic with Sean, since I’ve never taken one with the guy….We were all laughing…The crowd that was gathering around kept laughing at Robert for his successful “photo-bombing.”

We also got to attend a recently added A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 Q&A with ROBERT RUSLER & MARK PATTON….Mark is a great person….He had requested the people running HHW if he could go, then flew on a 15 hour plane ride just visit with his fans….Both guys had interesting, inappropriate stories about the horror flick….I won’t bore you with a word for word reenactment, but let’s just say those men can dance. ;)

DAN ROEBUCK -- Always fun to be around. He was hard to catch, actually. He just wasn’t at his table when we were near it…..We waved at him earlier in the day but didn’t see him until the very end.  He signed & chatted with us. We gave him compliments. He talked about his personal life; we discussed my mom’s health issues…..He was so concerned about her… :) Sweet, sweet man. 

DANA ASHBROOK -- This man is nice! & just happy to talk to fans….We mainly talked about Psych….Y’know, the episode I’m talking about, Psych-O’s..."Dual Spires." Plus, I learned things talking to him. He gave me encouraging advice.  I didn’t take a pic with him, because I didn’t want to ask for a pic without buying his autograph. I’m not made of money…But it’s not like Dana cared that I didn’t buy anything from him…We got to have a real, no-money exchange conversation. 

ZACK WARD -- Dave from Titus!!!! I expected him to be off-the-wall, but he’s actually such a kind gentleman. We talked a lot about his writing and directing Protocol X and got autographs from and pictures with him….Boy, he’s cute!… :)..He gave me a poster to scan the code to access his content. 

BARRY BOSTWICK -- If you had told me we were going to become best friends with Barry Bostwick, I would’ve said, “Yeah, right.”……But guess what?…..Yeah…That’s EXACTLY right! He wasn’t in the best location of the convention for people to find him, but it sorta out worked to our advantage.  When we first saw him, we just started talking….And talking….and talking…My mom, brother, and I each bought autographs & got pictures with him ($30 for each autograph & $10 extra for a personal pic….But he’s Barry Bostwick, so he’s well worth it). I had him sign my first season of Spin City, which sparked a conversation about that….Then, I even got him to sign the disc with him on it….He was happy to do it.  I just love Barry’s voice…..It’s so distinguished. 

He read my shirt, which I had made for a certain guest (to be revealed coming up soon). And then we started talking about this other guest, because Barry had worked with him on a TV show……..We shared a lot of laughs….I talked with him about a web series he’s a part of called Research. Then, I told him that my brother and I are aspiring filmmakers currently making web series…..Barry said something so grand that shocked us & made our day…. :wub: Indescribable. He is a pure inspiration.    

More about Barry soon….

And now I must discuss my personal fave & the very first person we met that day……JAMIE KENNEDY!!!!!!!!!!! We waited the longest for Jamie, because we were early….an hour before the show started, in fact…..I was the first person in line for Jamie on Saturday, and I wasn’t giving up my spot for anything.  When Jamie entered wearing his shades, I thought I was going to faint….I wasn’t nervous nervous, but my meeting Jamie is a big deal….Probably my biggest….So, I’d say I had some butterflies swirling around for sure. Way before I started admiring Thomas Jane (even before I started my fanship for Tim Roth & Charlie Sheen), I developed a huge crush on Jamie Kennedy….I was in Elementary school when The Jamie Kennedy Experiment first premiered. I fell in love with the show & let’s face it….I fell in love with Jamie…And I’ve never stopped lovin’ the guy behind so many disguise who made me realize that even a recognizable face can be hidden. 

Yes, my flirting level was at a record high….But Jamie is such a flirt…What am I gonna do? Be rude and not flirt back?….. And the fact that he’s single only makes it better….*daydreaming*…..But back to the convention details….

I decorated a shirt in honor of Jamie (this is the one Barry read). My shirt says, “Jamie Kennedy’s X Marks The Spot On My Heart.” I came up with this phrase in May when I found out about Jamie attending HHW. Everyone loved this shirt. One of Jamie’s handlers kept telling people to look at it while we were awaiting Jamie’s arrival….A guy in line thought it was an awesome shirt….Jamie’s rep took a picture of it on his phone and sent it to Jamie to make his morning.

When Jamie saw it, he had the biggest smile on his face. He read my shirt and touched my shirt…..He was so impressed that I made it……..I was in Heaven. I gave Jamie a gift I had made specially for him….It’s a wooden X, painted green with personal messages written all over it….I worked hard on this baby, and Jamie could tell. He read the messages and kept holding the X….Jamie’s rep turned the moment into a photo shoot. He said that he could hang it in his house…Awww…..Then, he stood up and asked me for a hug…..Hugging Jamie…I can’t think of a better embrace.  :wub:

He asked if I wanted to take a pic with him….Of course!….I sat down in the chair beside him and didn’t get up for the longest time. I just sat next to Jamie and enjoyed every second of it. And got my picture taken with Jamie by his rep. I had him sign my first season DVD box set of The Jamie Kennedy Experiment (what else?) and shared my thoughts about it. Still sitting next to him. 

I told him that he had wished me a happy birthday last Sunday; he remembered doing so. He even recognized my name from Twitter & knows that my profile pic on there is a rose. :D  I couldn’t believe he remembered that. 

Ready for my somewhat embarrassing moment? I asked if Jamie could give me a kiss. I meant on the cheek. He said he couldn’t but that I could give him a kiss. Alright….I X’d Jamie. ;) But before that, he said loudly enough for everyone standing around to hear, “She wants us to make out!” Cue laughter….Strangely, I didn’t feel my face turn red. Maybe because I was thinking “Mind reader” and not “Did he just say that?” 

We talked some more. Yes, I held up the line. But in my defense, I was not about to rush the moment of my life I’ve been wanting to happen so badly and was finally experiencing. 

My mom also wanted an autograph of & picture with Jamie. Yay! More JK time! More laughs. More bliss. We eventually left, and I walked away, smiling reliving it over and over. 

BARRY BOSTWICK / JAMIE KENNEDY -- My mission was to reunite the two, which I never actually got to see happen or know if a reunion ever took place. By the time I saw Barry, I had already met Jamie….Barry didn’t know Jamie was there until I told him. Barry mentioned working on something with Jamie….I guessed right -- Ghost Whisperer. We chatted about that.  Barry told me to tell Jamie he said “Hi”…..and that he wants to have him stop by. Wait?…..Did Barry just give me an excuse to visit with Jamie, again? Jackpot! 

This interaction didn’t happen back-to-back, but I made sure the message would be received unless Jamie was super busy with other fans. Luckily, Jamie didn’t have a line when we just happened to be near his table.  I told you; time was on our side. So, I went over to Jamie to talk, again. He said, “My friends are back.” (girlish hehe) I opened with wanting to discuss Granny, a Kickstarter movie starring Jamie that was just launched a day before. We discussed his involvement and the rewards….Some people started forming a line behind me. I didn’t want to take up too much time, but I still had a message to deliver on behalf of Barry. 

I reminded Jamie of the show Ghost Whisper being the project they worked on together, but I couldn’t think of the specific episode. Neither could Jamie. So he looked it up on his phone. He even put the next paying fans on hold to solve this mystery. He figured it out. He remembered. Then, he told me how else he knew him. I’m learning a lot from these people. I said that Barry wanted to see him and that he should head over there if he got the chance…He told me to tell Barry that he said “Hi.”  Wait….So now I would get to see Barry Bostwick, again? How awesome! 

So, I relayed Jamie’s message to Barry. And brought up the other way Jamie knows him.  We had a chat about that. Barry kept saying that he’d have to definitely try to visit with Jamie to catch up…..And he actually did try; I learned this during our third visit with Barry……But Jamie was taking a break at the time.  I didn’t see Jamie at his table too often, so I guess he must’ve been busy elsewhere. But I can’t believe I got to have three conversations with Barry & two talks with Jamie. Now, you know why this con is the best ever….

But wait…….There’s more! 

I had actually made a gift for a guest who was only going to be there ONE DAY ONLY!! It’s still amazing that he showed up, but because he’s so popular and expensive, I didn’t think it would be fair to spend most of the day, waiting in his long line and miss out on practically everyone else just to give him a gift.  But we had reached the time where we had met the ones we wanted. So we went to see if he was still signing. 3 people confirmed he was. Great! Out to the car to retrieve the gift!  

It was a long walk to make it to the room with the cast of The Walking Dead. I decided that I’d be willing to spend the $50 to get an autograph from STEVEN YEUN….By the time when we get down there, there’s no line, which isn’t a good sign. The volunteer at the door told us that Steven was done signing….My heart sank…..But that he was still in there….My heart rose…..We asked if we could visit him really quickly….She said, “No.” I said I didn’t need to get an autograph; I just needed to give Steven a gift…..She….let…us…in.  She told us to let his people know we had permission…We headed all the way over there….And sure enough…..Steven is packing up, getting ready to leave. 

The volunteers took a picture with him, then turned their attentions to us…They said that Steven was done for the day….We explained we had permission…..After confirmation from the woman who let us in, we got to approach Steven…He looked pleased to see us….I told him that I made him a gift….He was touched….I had made him a special case for his eyeglasses. I found out that his father prefers him to wear suits, so I made a fabric "suit case."  ^_^  Steven LOVED it! He knew exactly what it was for and even placed his glasses inside it. Wow! Great moment! He hugged me; I kissed him. 

My mom asked if we could take a picture with him…..So, with the guy who had the rule of No Posed Photos, we got a posed photo…. We left very satisfied. Yes! I came with 2 gifts and left with none having to be taken back with me. As we’re walking down the hall, Steven follows after and heads out...Phew! That was cutting it close!…..So, I got to be Jamie’s first fan for Saturday and Steven’s last. 

If you made it this far in reading, THANK YOU!!! Consider this your last book of the summer….

If any of you have any convention stories you’d love to share….Even from many, many years ago….Post it; I’ll read it. 

And if you’d like to take a look at me and Jamie together & see the gift I made for him, click the link: https://www.facebook...&type=3

That’s right!….I’m pictured with Jamie on Jamie Kennedy's Facebook/Instagram accounts!!!  :wub:

#42 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Oh Rosella!

I love your heartfelt encounters and your enthusiastic write-ups here!!!

I love that you love Barry Bostwick and Jamie Kennedy - who does that, except you and me, seriously?! LOL

As close as I get is thus:

At our Greek Festival this year (which annually kiboshes my birthday), the venue was shared with an Anime festival.  For some reason, dudes were dressed in homemade Predator costumes - one of whom my niece photographed squeezing my head, in about to bite it off pose!

Made my day for sure!!!

And I was wearing Raw Studios swag - so free publicity, ya'll! ;) LOL

Anyway, thank you as always for sharing your experiences here - I love it!

#43 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Oh Rosella!

I love your heartfelt encounters and your enthusiastic write-ups here!!!

I love that you love Barry Bostwick and Jamie Kennedy - who does that, except you and me, seriously?! LOL

As close as I get is thus:

At our Greek Festival this year (which annually kiboshes my birthday), the venue was shared with an Anime festival.  For some reason, dudes were dressed in homemade Predator costumes - one of whom my niece photographed squeezing my head, in about to bite it off pose!

Made my day for sure!!!

And I was wearing Raw Studios swag - so free publicity, ya'll! ;) LOL

Anyway, thank you as always for sharing your experiences here - I love it!

Thank you so much for reading all of that, jayesse8!!!  :D I'm glad you enjoyed my convention tales. 

What's great about Jamie K & Barry B is that I loved each one of these men so much before I met them & even more afterwards.  If you ever get the opportunity to meet either one, I strongly encourage it.

Your meeting a Predator -- Very cool! I love when people get so into things & dress up. I can see how that'd make you happy; I know I'd go for that kind of picture perfect moment.   :)  And you promoted RAW too? Fantastic! I've only worn my RAW shirt at one convention....Strangely enough, it's the only con I haven't talked about in great detail on here. 

Thank you for always reading & commenting on my experiences.......Your responses turn my face into this -->  :ph34r: .....Oops...I mean this -->  :D  

#44 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Well, it's almost convention time for me. 

HorrorHound Weekend March 21-23rd, 2014 - Cincinnati, Ohio

GUESTS Include SEAN PATRICK FLANERY, DAVID DELLA ROCCO, CLIFTON COLLINS JR., SCOTT WILSON, LAURIE HOLDEN, KIM COATES, ALAN TUDYK, CLINT HOWARD, DOUG BRADLEY, DAVE SHERIDAN, BRUCE CAMPBELL, TED RAIMI, AND MANY MANY MORE!!! 

More info if you need it: http://www.horrorhou...3/default.shtml

Be there & be scared. B)

#45 joyce ford

joyce ford

DeathSpider Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, gardening reading stephen king books. And am a supporter of breast cancer awareness and the alzheimer awareness funds.I also like to go to clubs to dance when I have the chance to.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Well, it's almost convention time for me. 

HorrorHound Weekend March 21-23rd, 2014 - Cincinnati, Ohio

GUESTS Include SEAN PATRICK FLANERY, DAVID DELLA ROCCO, CLIFTON COLLINS JR., SCOTT WILSON, LAURIE HOLDEN, KIM COATES, ALAN TUDYK, CLINT HOWARD, DOUG BRADLEY, DAVE SHERIDAN, BRUCE CAMPBELL, TED RAIMI, AND MANY MANY MORE!!! 

More info if you need it: http://www.horrorhou...3/default.shtml

Be there & be scared. B)

Hey when you go to this can you try to post some photos on here. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

#46 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Oh! Looking forward to the tales from the front lines! ;)

#47 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thank you for your interest joyce & Joanna!! 

Over the weekend, I conquered my fears…Actually, no…No, I did not. BUT I did meet some really nice people and bonded with some famous folks I can proudly call friends. :D

Should I begin with the low points of HHW Cincy 2014 just to get that part out of the way? There’s only one big downer, and it hurt even before I got there. Ted Raimi cancelled. :(  The poor guy had the flu. I hope he’s feeling better now. I just wanted to meet him so badly. This is the second time he’s cancelled at a con I was attending. I’m counting on a ‘next time’ some day. 

We avoided the drama. At a convention with Bruce Campbell, you have to ask yourself this question: “Do I have a Bruce Day OR do I meet many people, instead?”  You can’t do both. At least, I’ve never seen both mastered when you’re attending a convention for one day only.  So, we didn’t need to see Bruce. Met him once, already. That’s good enough for us.  Plus, when we saw him, he charged $30 for an autograph, and now he’s a whopping $50.  I know. I know. Complaining about the high cost of a signature is a repeated offense, but there is no reason that a price has to increase that much.  Especially, when you see people who have been in the Biz for even longer, and they’re still fine with charging $20-$25 -- This is the price of someone who truly shows up for the fans.  And I saw some of the photo op pics of fans with Bruce, and they are not worth it.  He wasn’t even smiling.      

A lot of fans are slamming Laurie Holden for being late, charging $40 without a pic at the table, & for seeming like she didn’t want to be there.  We almost went to meet her. Almost. But every time, I looked over at her area, she wasn’t there.  Plus, the high price autograph without a pic at the table is a huge turnoff.  I don’t get why stars refuse to take a pic.  And the “time saver” excuse isn’t working anymore. I’ve seen long lines move quickly with stars signing & taking pics with fans.  It can & has been done. Chandler Riggs was even charging $50 for his auto & no pic. What!? Did I fall asleep and wake up in a world where a kid’s signature is as good as someone like Bruce Campbell's? I’m not saying Riggs is a one-hit wonder, but other than The Walking Dead at this point, what is his value? They do say that he’s nice, so I guess he has that going for him.  But these Photo Op Only stars are ruining the meeting experience.   

I don’t know where to begin with my highlights. They’re all so great that I don‘t know how to rank ‘em. Hmmm…*thinking*

SCOTT WILSON - He’s a hoot, that’s what he is.  We even saw him arrive as we waited outside to get in. He waved to everyone, real friendly-like.  He was there to have a good time & to make sure you were having a good time, too. He loves hugging people, so I made sure to get myself a Hershel hug.  He had a long line that never seemed to shorten, but it moved pretty quickly. And yes, he took pics with fans. At his age (turning 72 tomorrow), he’s getting up and down, posing for pics & not complaining once.  For $40, you could get an auto & a pic, which is exactly what my mom & brother did. Plus, we got to chat with the kind soul for a moment -- asked some questions & complimented his work.  Then, while waiting for someone else, we learned that Scott drinks Dr. Pepper.  Where else can you find out interesting stuff like that? 

CLINT HOWARD - We didn’t have too long to meet him.  Because my mom was in a wheelchair due to her heart condition, we got to cut everyone all because of a fan in front of us made it happen. That’s right. Some guy we didn’t know went to talk to Clint & his handler to work it out so that we could head to the front without waiting. Horror fans look out for one another.    

Clint is a very, extremely nice man! Funny & genuine. My mom gave him a gift, a jar of peanut butter & jelly.  Kudos to you if you get that reference. ;) We chatted about his work.  My mom wanted a signed picture, so she was browsing through his photos. He had so many great ones with him. But he also had a DVD set of Gentle Ben that he was selling. We asked “How much?” He didn’t even have a price in mind for it. He just said $10.  Whoa! So a guy who was already signing at the low price of $20 per autograph just signed a DVD set for 10 bucks? THAT is the way to do it!   He posed for pics with my mom. He even squatted down beside her & squeezed in cheek to cheek. And he’s got a great memory. I mentioned a short film that he had made years & years ago, and he knew exactly what I was talking about.  

CLIFTON COLLINS JR. - Going into this convention, I had thought that my chance of meeting Clifton would mean I would have to wait in a long line just to say “Hey!” & give him a gift. You knew I’d bring a gift. He’s a Boondock Saint, baby! Of course, he’s gonna get something.   :D But it’s like the crowd didn’t even recognize him.  While we were waiting on Sean Patrick Flanery, who properly takes his time with his fans and had a long line waiting, I couldn’t take my eyes off of Clifton.  Probably because he was just sitting there.  

For some reason, Clifton never had a long line.  Every now & again, a couple of people would approach him and get an autograph/pic.  But there was never a line, when we were in the room.  I couldn’t understand it.  When I was ready to go meet him, I went straight over to him and shook his hand.  No wait whatsoever.  He’s a great guy.  Super polite.  I gave him a gift, a cross key-chain, which took him by surprise.  He was so excited to get his gift. He stood up & gave me a hug.  My mom & I both got autographs & pics with him. We got to have a conversation about some of his movies, including The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit & the possibility of a Vegan Police movie. What! ;) Just imagine. And as we was talking, he was standing right next to me, which just made it even more of a personal experience.  

DAVID DELLA ROCCO - If I had to rank my favorite moments of Rocco, I’d say this one would be my best one, in regards to conversation length.  We talked for awhile with him.  I gave him a gift, an Italy flag decorated eye glasses case.  He even told me how he needed one of those. Perfect! My brother & I got his autograph; it only costs $20.  Even though this is my 3rd time meeting him, it’s the first time I actually bought something from him. And it’s a good thing that I did, too, because David did something extra special with my signed pic; he wrote something on it that made my day. Heck, it made my life. :wub:  He took pics with us.  We laughed. We just enjoyed each other’s company like good ol’ pals.  

Rocco is one of the sweetest people you can meet. Seriously. Seriously, go meet him. He's just one of those handful of stars who you can tell genuinely appreciates his fans without expecting money in return, a rare breed in a convention setting.  

SEAN PATRICK FLANERY - 4th time meeting Sean, and it’s a top fave as usual. He never disappoints.  He’s actually the first person we went to see that day.  HorrorHound put the Boondock Saints in the same room as the tattoo artists.  The room was pretty small; it could barely contain Sean’s long, long line.  But, like I mentioned before, I didn’t mind the wait, cause it gave me more time to stare at Clifton. 

Sean is down-to-earth & real & awesome x 1 million! He remembered me from before. This time, I gave him a different kind of a gift, a painting of a sun with a heartfelt message on it and a heartwarming explanation behind it.  When I told him what it meant, he was near tears and grabbed me from across the table to hug me tightly. :wub:  I felt pretty proud to have that kind of impact on someone I admire so much. 

I got a signed pic ($30) and he took individual pics with me & my family.  He even stood there for safety shots. We had a nice conversation about what he’s working on.  Then, he started talking about something he couldn’t reveal, but I got him to reveal it to me. He whispered his secret in my ear. No, I cannot tell you what he said.  I haven’t told anyone.  It is never a dull moment with Sean around. 

ALAN TUDYK - When we went to go look for him, we were informed by a fan that he wouldn’t be back at his table until 4pm.  Alrighty! So, we just got in line for Scott Wilson.  And while we were waiting for Scott, I was in the right place at the right time.  Coming around from the corner, sure enough, was Alan.  He was walking by himself, so I ummm…I reached out to touch his arm.  Not squeeze, just barely tapped. He turned and looked directly at me and smiled and said, “Hello.” Awww…..So, in that moment, I was already impressed by him.  

We lined up for Alan. He didn’t have a banner up, just a movie poster, so I wanted to make sure we were in the correct line.  The staff guy confirmed we were & then told us they were working on clearing the exit aisle, so we could go up front.  Huh? Apparently, they didn’t want to make my mom wait any longer than she had to.  Or maybe they watched as I barely made it through Scott’s line with her wheelchair.  Usually, the conventions I attend have yellow tape to signify each line, but this time they put up rows of bars, so we would have to weave in and out of turns with sharp corners.  Not exactly wheelchair accessible, but we survived. 

We probably waited a total of ten minutes for Alan to return to his table.  When he approached us, he greeted us with a high “Helloooooo.” He’s too funny. Just thinking about him makes me smile.  He even apologized for keeping us waiting.  My mom brought him a bag full of gifts as a belated bday present.  Each item she gave him represented a movie of his.  She made him guess what each of the contents represented. We had to give some hints, but he had fun guessing, though. I was surprised how quickly he got some of them.

My mom bought his autograph. He’s not really known for posing for pics at his table.  In fact, for this con he was classified as Photo Op Only.  But I think if you asked, he’d take one with you.  I can’t picture him saying, “No.” My mom asked if he’d take a pic with her. Of course, he would! He asked if I wanted to be in the pic. Awwww…..Absolutely! But then for the “safety pic,” I stepped aside so the moment could be more personal between just them.  Before we left him, I asked for a hug.  And I got one.  He did say to not tell his girlfriend about it. See what I meant about funny? :P

DAVE SHERIDAN - Many years ago, I discovered a movie that made me laugh nonstop, and that was just the trailer alone. Then, we got the movie on V.H.S and watched Frank McKlusky, C.I., and my fandom for Dave Sheridan began.  He is a spoof movie legend, so I was really extra excited to meet him.  We had to wait for Dave to return from his photo op (he dressed up as Scary Movie’s Officer Doofy), but he was seriously worth the wait. 

Out of all of the guests we saw that day, we talked to Dave the longest.  We talked about his upcoming projects. He’s someone I want to work with someday, and I told him that, which led to my brother and I talking about our projects.  He wants to see what we’ve made.  *faints*  I’m always the one who’s the most interested in the star’s work; I’m not used to having a star interested in what I do.  I was so comfortable around him, which is odd, considering I was nervous to meet him.

I wanted to buy Dave’s autograph; he had various price options.  I had intended to just get an 8x10 signed, but the opportunity of getting something more unique was too great to pass up. I bought a Scary Movie Ghostface mask; he signed & personalized it. It cost $30 (leave it to me to choose the most expensive item).  He took a couple of pictures with me.  What? We had to get it just right, didn’t we? ;) He even called me “The director,” because I was calling the shots. 

Dave is a great listener. He’s so kind, too.  We told him where we were from; he made jokes. Man, he’s hilarious! I could’ve talked to him forever. :wub:  Okay, 1st Groundhog Day could be my meeting Jamie Kennedy.  But then, meeting Dave has to be my 2nd Groundhog Day.  So, if I could just have these days over & over, back-and-forth, I’d be at a supreme level of contentment.  And it only makes perfect sense to alternate between these two, since they are friends and frequently work together.  To meet these two in the same room, I don’t think my heart could handle it.

Well, there you have it, folks! I hope you enjoyed my detailed tales of my eventful day!  

Thank you for reading! As always, if you’ve ever attended a convention of any sort & want to talk about it, here’s the place. I will read every word you type. Promise!

Now, Joyce. I don’t usually post my pics on here, but since you asked nicely, I’m sure it’d be acceptable to share one. Though, I couldn't figure out how to post a pic, so you'll just have to click the link. 

Here you go.

A picture of me with Clifton Collins Jr., 1 of the 2 officers of the Vegan Police. 

#48 joyce ford

joyce ford

DeathSpider Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, gardening reading stephen king books. And am a supporter of breast cancer awareness and the alzheimer awareness funds.I also like to go to clubs to dance when I have the chance to.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Thank you for your interest joyce & Joanna!! 

Over the weekend, I conquered my fears…Actually, no…No, I did not. BUT I did meet some really nice people and bonded with some famous folks I can proudly call friends. :D

Should I begin with the low points of HHW Cincy 2014 just to get that part out of the way? There’s only one big downer, and it hurt even before I got there. Ted Raimi cancelled. :(  The poor guy had the flu. I hope he’s feeling better now. I just wanted to meet him so badly. This is the second time he’s cancelled at a con I was attending. I’m counting on a ‘next time’ some day. 

We avoided the drama. At a convention with Bruce Campbell, you have to ask yourself this question: “Do I have a Bruce Day OR do I meet many people, instead?”  You can’t do both. At least, I’ve never seen both mastered when you’re attending a convention for one day only.  So, we didn’t need to see Bruce. Met him once, already. That’s good enough for us.  Plus, when we saw him, he charged $30 for an autograph, and now he’s a whopping $50.  I know. I know. Complaining about the high cost of a signature is a repeated offense, but there is no reason that a price has to increase that much.  Especially, when you see people who have been in the Biz for even longer, and they’re still fine with charging $20-$25 -- This is the price of someone who truly shows up for the fans.  And I saw some of the photo op pics of fans with Bruce, and they are not worth it.  He wasn’t even smiling.      

A lot of fans are slamming Laurie Holden for being late, charging $40 without a pic at the table, & for seeming like she didn’t want to be there.  We almost went to meet her. Almost. But every time, I looked over at her area, she wasn’t there.  Plus, the high price autograph without a pic at the table is a huge turnoff.  I don’t get why stars refuse to take a pic.  And the “time saver” excuse isn’t working anymore. I’ve seen long lines move quickly with stars signing & taking pics with fans.  It can & has been done. Chandler Riggs was even charging $50 for his auto & no pic. What!? Did I fall asleep and wake up in a world where a kid’s signature is as good as someone like Bruce Campbell's? I’m not saying Riggs is a one-hit wonder, but other than The Walking Dead at this point, what is his value? They do say that he’s nice, so I guess he has that going for him.  But these Photo Op Only stars are ruining the meeting experience.   

I don’t know where to begin with my highlights. They’re all so great that I don‘t know how to rank ‘em. Hmmm…*thinking*

SCOTT WILSON - He’s a hoot, that’s what he is.  We even saw him arrive as we waited outside to get in. He waved to everyone, real friendly-like.  He was there to have a good time & to make sure you were having a good time, too. He loves hugging people, so I made sure to get myself a Hershel hug.  He had a long line that never seemed to shorten, but it moved pretty quickly. And yes, he took pics with fans. At his age (turning 72 tomorrow), he’s getting up and down, posing for pics & not complaining once.  For $40, you could get an auto & a pic, which is exactly what my mom & brother did. Plus, we got to chat with the kind soul for a moment -- asked some questions & complimented his work.  Then, while waiting for someone else, we learned that Scott drinks Dr. Pepper.  Where else can you find out interesting stuff like that? 

CLINT HOWARD - We didn’t have too long to meet him.  Because my mom was in a wheelchair due to her heart condition, we got to cut everyone all because of a fan in front of us made it happen. That’s right. Some guy we didn’t know went to talk to Clint & his handler to work it out so that we could head to the front without waiting. Horror fans look out for one another.    

Clint is a very, extremely nice man! Funny & genuine. My mom gave him a gift, a jar of peanut butter & jelly.  Kudos to you if you get that reference. ;) We chatted about his work.  My mom wanted a signed picture, so she was browsing through his photos. He had so many great ones with him. But he also had a DVD set of Gentle Ben that he was selling. We asked “How much?” He didn’t even have a price in mind for it. He just said $10.  Whoa! So a guy who was already signing at the low price of $20 per autograph just signed a DVD set for 10 bucks? THAT is the way to do it!   He posed for pics with my mom. He even squatted down beside her & squeezed in cheek to cheek. And he’s got a great memory. I mentioned a short film that he had made years & years ago, and he knew exactly what I was talking about.  

CLIFTON COLLINS JR. - Going into this convention, I had thought that my chance of meeting Clifton would mean I would have to wait in a long line just to say “Hey!” & give him a gift. You knew I’d bring a gift. He’s a Boondock Saint, baby! Of course, he’s gonna get something.   :D But it’s like the crowd didn’t even recognize him.  While we were waiting on Sean Patrick Flanery, who properly takes his time with his fans and had a long line waiting, I couldn’t take my eyes off of Clifton.  Probably because he was just sitting there.  

For some reason, Clifton never had a long line.  Every now & again, a couple of people would approach him and get an autograph/pic.  But there was never a line, when we were in the room.  I couldn’t understand it.  When I was ready to go meet him, I went straight over to him and shook his hand.  No wait whatsoever.  He’s a great guy.  Super polite.  I gave him a gift, a cross key-chain, which took him by surprise.  He was so excited to get his gift. He stood up & gave me a hug.  My mom & I both got autographs & pics with him. We got to have a conversation about some of his movies, including The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit & the possibility of a Vegan Police movie. What! ;) Just imagine. And as we was talking, he was standing right next to me, which just made it even more of a personal experience.  

DAVID DELLA ROCCO - If I had to rank my favorite moments of Rocco, I’d say this one would be my best one, in regards to conversation length.  We talked for awhile with him.  I gave him a gift, an Italy flag decorated eye glasses case.  He even told me how he needed one of those. Perfect! My brother & I got his autograph; it only costs $20.  Even though this is my 3rd time meeting him, it’s the first time I actually bought something from him. And it’s a good thing that I did, too, because David did something extra special with my signed pic; he wrote something on it that made my day. Heck, it made my life. :wub:  He took pics with us.  We laughed. We just enjoyed each other’s company like good ol’ pals.  

Rocco is one of the sweetest people you can meet. Seriously. Seriously, go meet him. He's just one of those handful of stars who you can tell genuinely appreciates his fans without expecting money in return, a rare breed in a convention setting.  

SEAN PATRICK FLANERY - 4th time meeting Sean, and it’s a top fave as usual. He never disappoints.  He’s actually the first person we went to see that day.  HorrorHound put the Boondock Saints in the same room as the tattoo artists.  The room was pretty small; it could barely contain Sean’s long, long line.  But, like I mentioned before, I didn’t mind the wait, cause it gave me more time to stare at Clifton. 

Sean is down-to-earth & real & awesome x 1 million! He remembered me from before. This time, I gave him a different kind of a gift, a painting of a sun with a heartfelt message on it and a heartwarming explanation behind it.  When I told him what it meant, he was near tears and grabbed me from across the table to hug me tightly. :wub:  I felt pretty proud to have that kind of impact on someone I admire so much. 

I got a signed pic ($30) and he took individual pics with me & my family.  He even stood there for safety shots. We had a nice conversation about what he’s working on.  Then, he started talking about something he couldn’t reveal, but I got him to reveal it to me. He whispered his secret in my ear. No, I cannot tell you what he said.  I haven’t told anyone.  It is never a dull moment with Sean around. 

ALAN TUDYK - When we went to go look for him, we were informed by a fan that he wouldn’t be back at his table until 4pm.  Alrighty! So, we just got in line for Scott Wilson.  And while we were waiting for Scott, I was in the right place at the right time.  Coming around from the corner, sure enough, was Alan.  He was walking by himself, so I ummm…I reached out to touch his arm.  Not squeeze, just barely tapped. He turned and looked directly at me and smiled and said, “Hello.” Awww…..So, in that moment, I was already impressed by him.  

We lined up for Alan. He didn’t have a banner up, just a movie poster, so I wanted to make sure we were in the correct line.  The staff guy confirmed we were & then told us they were working on clearing the exit aisle, so we could go up front.  Huh? Apparently, they didn’t want to make my mom wait any longer than she had to.  Or maybe they watched as I barely made it through Scott’s line with her wheelchair.  Usually, the conventions I attend have yellow tape to signify each line, but this time they put up rows of bars, so we would have to weave in and out of turns with sharp corners.  Not exactly wheelchair accessible, but we survived. 

We probably waited a total of ten minutes for Alan to return to his table.  When he approached us, he greeted us with a high “Helloooooo.” He’s too funny. Just thinking about him makes me smile.  He even apologized for keeping us waiting.  My mom brought him a bag full of gifts as a belated bday present.  Each item she gave him represented a movie of his.  She made him guess what each of the contents represented. We had to give some hints, but he had fun guessing, though. I was surprised how quickly he got some of them.

My mom bought his autograph. He’s not really known for posing for pics at his table.  In fact, for this con he was classified as Photo Op Only.  But I think if you asked, he’d take one with you.  I can’t picture him saying, “No.” My mom asked if he’d take a pic with her. Of course, he would! He asked if I wanted to be in the pic. Awwww…..Absolutely! But then for the “safety pic,” I stepped aside so the moment could be more personal between just them.  Before we left him, I asked for a hug.  And I got one.  He did say to not tell his girlfriend about it. See what I meant about funny? :P

DAVE SHERIDAN - Many years ago, I discovered a movie that made me laugh nonstop, and that was just the trailer alone. Then, we got the movie on V.H.S and watched Frank McKlusky, C.I., and my fandom for Dave Sheridan began.  He is a spoof movie legend, so I was really extra excited to meet him.  We had to wait for Dave to return from his photo op (he dressed up as Scary Movie’s Officer Doofy), but he was seriously worth the wait. 

Out of all of the guests we saw that day, we talked to Dave the longest.  We talked about his upcoming projects. He’s someone I want to work with someday, and I told him that, which led to my brother and I talking about our projects.  He wants to see what we’ve made.  *faints*  I’m always the one who’s the most interested in the star’s work; I’m not used to having a star interested in what I do.  I was so comfortable around him, which is odd, considering I was nervous to meet him.

I wanted to buy Dave’s autograph; he had various price options.  I had intended to just get an 8x10 signed, but the opportunity of getting something more unique was too great to pass up. I bought a Scary Movie Ghostface mask; he signed & personalized it. It cost $30 (leave it to me to choose the most expensive item).  He took a couple of pictures with me.  What? We had to get it just right, didn’t we? ;) He even called me “The director,” because I was calling the shots. 

Dave is a great listener. He’s so kind, too.  We told him where we were from; he made jokes. Man, he’s hilarious! I could’ve talked to him forever. :wub:  Okay, 1st Groundhog Day could be my meeting Jamie Kennedy.  But then, meeting Dave has to be my 2nd Groundhog Day.  So, if I could just have these days over & over, back-and-forth, I’d be at a supreme level of contentment.  And it only makes perfect sense to alternate between these two, since they are friends and frequently work together.  To meet these two in the same room, I don’t think my heart could handle it.

Well, there you have it, folks! I hope you enjoyed my detailed tales of my eventful day!  

Thank you for reading! As always, if you’ve ever attended a convention of any sort & want to talk about it, here’s the place. I will read every word you type. Promise!

Now, Joyce. I don’t usually post my pics on here, but since you asked nicely, I’m sure it’d be acceptable to share one. Though, I couldn't figure out how to post a pic, so you'll just have to click the link. 

Here you go.

A picture of me with Clifton Collins Jr., 1 of the 2 officers of the Vegan Police. 

Sounds like you had a really good time. Thank you for posting this  I really do appreciate it. And Clifton Collins is a real cutie.

#49 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like you had a really good time. Thank you for posting this  I really do appreciate it. And Clifton Collins is a real cutie.

Yes, I did, indeed. You're welcome, Joyce! Thank you for reading it! I know the post is book-length. ;) 

Clifton is so wonderful, a real treasure.   

#50 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 655 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

Thank you for telling us your experiences!!! Mostly good, some not so much (Bruce!?). I love me some vicarious celebrity encounters! ;)

You highlighted some cool folks. Alan Tudyk is an interesting cat and Clifton Collins (who I want to call Gonzalez-Gonzalez) has really, really grown on me :) (Sunshine Cleaning, anyone?) Good stuff all around!!!

#51 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Thank you for telling us your experiences!!! Mostly good, some not so much (Bruce!?). I love me some vicarious celebrity encounters! ;)

You highlighted some cool folks. Alan Tudyk is an interesting cat and Clifton Collins (who I want to call Gonzalez-Gonzalez) has really, really grown on me :) (Sunshine Cleaning, anyone?) Good stuff all around!!!

My pleasure! :) Thank you for reading my post! 

Oh, it's not that we had a bad time with Bruce.  We didn't even see the man & didn't even make plans to see him.  I just know that other people have been complaining about their experiences.  And most of their complaints aren't even directed at Bruce; they're about his manager/rep guy.  He's pretty strict.  He's the guy who doesn't even want to see a camera in your hand. Also, the photo ops with Bruce didn't turn out too great, either. In one guy's photo, the way the pic was taken, it makes it look like Bruce is a cardboard cut-out. Plus, Bruce not only doesn't smile but also looks kind of mad in the pictures.

Alan Tudyk really is amazing; he went above my expectations for sure.  

Gonzalez Gonzalez....Ah, man! I should've had Clifton sign his name that way. *snap*  :P  Sunshine Cleaning - Yes! That's a great movie.  Amy Adams is definitely on my list of top fave actresses.  

#52 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Well.....It's happening, again.  

HorrorHound Weekend Indianapolis Sept. 5th - 7th, 2014 

I'll be there!....Will you? Why not? Give me one good reason.......Alright.....That's a pretty good one. 

The following guests are attending (as of now): 

Jon Bernthal - Scott Wilson - James Remar - Lochlyn Munro - Alex Vincent - Scott Grimes - William Sadler - Mads Mikkelsen - and MANY MORE! 

Now don't you feel silly for not going? ;) 

For more info: http://www.horrorhoundweekend.com/shows/201409/default.shtml 

#53 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

We had so much fun at HHW this time around.  In fact, I can’t really think of anything to complain a lot about.  Although, Scott Grimes cancelling was kind of a bummer.  But when they marked him as “tentative” on the site, I pretty much figured he wouldn’t attend, anyways.  No worries.  Because whenever one guest cancels, another guest gets my money. ;) At least, that’s the system that keeps working out for the best thus far.  

Let’s see…..Where shall I begin?

BILL MOSELEY -  This is our 4th time meeting Bill.  I know the guy has respectable credits to his name, but for some reason, when I meet him, I still never get the “I’m a star!” vibe from the guy, which is, indeed, a compliment.  He is super down-to-earth.  So much so that when we talk to him, it’s like we’re talking to another fan in line at the con.   Actually, he’s more like a vendor, because he sells a variety of goods (8x10s, posters, CDs, magazines, etc). 

Last time we saw him, I bought a CD of his band called Spider Mountain, which is the most bizarre music I’ve ever heard.  I talked to him about it.  But my main reason for this “reunion,” was to give him a pair of sunglasses to make up for almost blinding him with our camera during our previous visit (long story (no wait….that’s pretty much it)). He thought that was nice of me to do.  If you’ve never met Bill, make sure you meet him one day.   

WILLIAM BUTLER -  Whoa! This guy is AWESOME!! My brother relayed a message from one of William’s close acting buddies to him, so that gave us our introduction.  From there, we just kept talking. And talking. And talking.  He’s super hilarious!! He made my stomach hurt from laughing so much.  It was like having our own private show of a stand-up comedian.  Plus, he’s just really sweet & kind.  

Going in, my brother already knew how random and crazy the guy is, so he bought him the perfect gift -- a pair of booger glasses (yes, you read that correctly). William LOVED ’em! Seeing him wear them.... :lol:  He even posted a pic of them on his fb page.  That’s how much he was proud to have them.  

My brother wanted to buy an autograph, but William didn’t want to accept his money. BOOM! Free signature just for giving the gift of booger joy. William took a picture with my brother, then a group photo with all of us.  William is a real treat -- charming and wildly inappropriate -- just a guy worth meeting.

LOCHLYN MUNRO - Our fandom for Lochlyn goes all the way back to A Night at the Roxbury days, which is still a classic.  So, needless to say but I’m gonna anyways, meeting Lochlyn was a BIG moment for us.  He’s just the sweetest; he is wholeheartedly polite and genuine.  He came out from behind his table to greet us, which was nice.  Suddenly, we were just a group of people talking, instead of just fans looking down, gazing at a star.  

He is remarkably humble.  We talked about some of his TV work.  I thought he would simply appreciate the compliments, but he also gave a little backstory on each role. Of course, we covered Roxbury and his work with the Wayans Brothers.  At one point, he & I were standing side by side talking; he put his hand on my shoulder.  I couldn’t stop smiling. The only reason why I didn’t get starstruck was because he created such a calm, relaxing atmosphere for all of us.  

My mom bought a signed 8x10 (which came with a pic) for $25.  First, she took a couple of pics with him, and then they asked if we all wanted to be in a picture with him.  It took a while to take a group photo.  For some reason (poor lighting in the room?), the handler had to keep taking pics of us.  It kind of became like a photoshoot.  Not surprisingly, Lochlyn was a great sport about the whole thing.  Someone else might’ve lost his patience but not Lochlyn.

And then after all of that, I bought his autograph, as well (which was my plan even before he impressed me). Lochlyn asked if I wanted to take a pic with him. Absolutely! I couldn’t believe that after all that picture taking, he was still willing to pose for pics with me.  Awwwww…..

Before we left, I reminded him that he had wished me “Happy Birthday” on Twitter, and he remembered doing that.  He was moved by that, and he grabbed me and gave me a hug.   :wub: What a sweetheart! 

WILLIAM SADLER - Predicting the amount of time one will wait in line at a convention is impossible, and I’m always wrong.  Always.  So when William got added, I thought I’d be lucky to get a chance to praise some of his work and take a picture with him, then move it along.  I had no idea I’d actually get the chance to have a full-length fascinating conversation with him, but that is exactly what fortunately happened.   He was the second person we saw that day, and we only had to wait behind one person in line, which gave me little to no time to get a grip and quickly remember all of the things I wanted to discuss.  Miraculously, I pulled it off.  And what surprised me most was how much I kept surprising him by how much I knew about his work.  

To begin, it took me awhile to decide which picture I wanted off his table to have signed, but he told me to take my time.  I did.  I stalled with question after question. And the thing I wanted to know first were his thoughts on The Mist ending.  I love his answer! It was quite an honest response.  To sum up, he didn’t like it.  He thought it was too dark, especially having SPOILER ALERT David Drayton killing his own son.  Yeah, that was bad.  But I told him I loved the ending, because it left an impact and had such an important message behind it.  He respected my opinions, as well.  It’s always refreshing to hear an actor express his true feelings about his work.  He even said that he prefers Stephen King’s original ending.  And in case you didn’t know, William read the audio-book version of the novel as David Drayton.  He was shocked that I knew that.  (he, he)

Now, as much as I enjoy William in Frank Darabont’s films, personally, I relate to him more as Bill & Ted’s Grim Reaper.  We got to talk about that character quite a bit with him.  So after hearing how passionate he was about that role, I picked out a gorgeous b&w 8x10 of the Grim Reaper for William to sign.  He did have cool pics from The Mist, including one with our captain TJ, but talking about the Grim Reaper made me feel nostalgic, and in the end, I just had to go with the photo that brought back childhood movie memories for me.  

To avoid getting overly emotional while watching as he signed the photo, I switched the topic to The Blacklist.  He liked my suggestion of having his character return in flashbacks.  Then, we discussed his other TV guest spots.  $40 got an autograph and a pic.  His handler asked if we wanted a group shot, so we all got to be in the picture with him.  Group photos were the trend of the day, which I'm starting to like them better, because they can  captures a shared experience.  If you ever get a chance to meet William Sadler, you really should.  He makes great expressions and is super kind.  He’s a classy gentleman. 

ALEX VINCENT - Alex is a treasure.  He is a generous individual who makes others feel appreciated.  I only hope he knows how much people like him.  I love the guy! This being the second time meeting Alex, it’s remarkable how much he’s able to continue to exceed my expectations.  And somehow, just like our previous encounter, he managed to go above and beyond for me.

Alex is getting back into acting, which is great, because now I can revive my dream of working with him one day.  But, in addition to his acting, he’s also taking his writing even further.  He recently wrote and starred in a killer thriller movie called House Guest.  I’ve been wanting to see this movie ever since I first found out about it.  But while I thought it would be cool to buy it online, so I could have something to talk about to him the next time our paths would cross (not knowing there’d be a next time), I didn’t buy it.  Mainly because I thought it’d be even cooler to buy the movie in person from him.  Duh! 

I didn’t know if that would be possible.  I had my brother message him on facebook the Thursday before the convention (little last minute, ya think) to see if he would be selling DVDs.  He responded right away! Yes, he was actually going to be bringing House Guest to sell.  He sounded surprised that someone was asking about that movie.  He told my brother the price and agreed to set one aside to make sure we’d get one.  Yeah, baby! 

When we first went up to him, I asked him if he remembered me.  He did! From somewhere but couldn’t place me exactly.  I know.  That’s something people say to be polite, even if it’s not true.  But I read his expression; he was telling the truth.  I reminded him about Fright Night and the notebook I made for him.  And get this: He. Still. Has. The. Notebook!!! :D  Wowza!!! All of these gifts I’ve made & given to my admirations, I rarely find out if a person actually holds onto them or not.  But Alex actually kept his.  And…….He writes in it! Excuse me while I pick myself off the floor from passing out due to overexcitement.  A writer.  Alex.  Writing in a notebook that I made.  Using a gift that I gave him from the heart.  It doesn’t get any better than that, people! Though, with Alex…….it does. 

You know me.  I can’t give a great gift one time, then show up empty-handed the next.  That’s right.  I made Alex another gift.  I almost didn’t make anything, but that would’ve been a mistake.  My problem was coming up with something to top the last one. I’m pretty certain I did.  I made Alex not one but two guitar pick necklaces -- one with Nine Inch Nails’ logo and one with Alex’s very own A/V Productions’ logo.  I wish you could’ve seen his face when he opened his gift.  He was genuinely moved, to say the least.  It was like they stirred something up inside him and touched his heart to its very core.  Best reaction ever!  

He thanked me and stood up to give me a hug.  It was the best hug I’ve ever gotten.  It was like a hug within a hug.  When I thought we’d release from the embrace, he would just keep squeezing me tighter and tighter.   :wub: Neither one of us wanted to let go, so we didn’t.  Ah……So nice.

All of this had happened, and I still hadn’t got anything signed by him.  Do I know how to make a meeting last or what? I saw that he had House Guest DVDs on his table, which meant he hadn’t sold out and didn’t have to set one aside.  I told him that I was glad that he brought those, so then he knew that it was my brother who had requested him to save one for me.  And you know what? He had actually set aside one! He kept his promise, again.  That really made me feel special.

Then, we had a discussion about House Guest and his other upcoming projects.  We talked about me not being on facebook and his not liking Twitter, again.  He still wants me to join fb.  He even said that I have to join in order to get a hold of him to discuss any future projects of mine.  He was kidding (I hope).  No, he was just playfully teasing me.  It’s our fun little game that we play. ;)

For $20, I got House Guest signed (cover & disc), an 8x10 from the movie signed, and a picture on my camera with him.  That’s a bargain! Alex is one of my favorite guests for many obvious reasons.  And I’m probably the only fan of his who doesn’t bring up Child’s Play to him.  

MADS MIKKELSEN - Meeting Hannibal himself was a absolute pleasure.  He was the first one we went to see.  It was strange, but when we first arrived to the convention, we couldn’t find the line to hand in our tickets and get our bracelets.  Usually, at this hotel, we go in to go outside to stand in line, but there wasn’t a line. We asked a volunteer, and they showed us the line with no one standing in it.  And instead of making us wait, they just let us through.  We didn’t have Early entry, so we couldn’t actually go in to see anybody, yet.  But we used our brains and just went straight over to go wait in Mads’ line.  

As we were waiting in the hallway, Mads walked by us.  Seeing Hannibal in street clothes is an interesting sight. I know that's just a character, but Mads himself is quite a character. We didn’t have to wait too long to see him, once the line started moving.  Maybe an hour tops (but that includes the extra time of showing up early). The line was ridiculously long later in the day, so we were smart to visit him first.  

When we walked in the room, I couldn’t take my eyes off of Mads.  It was a little surreal to be in his presence.   My mom made him a special gift, so we asked one of his handlers if we could take a picture of him opening it.  It sounds like a weird question to ask, but we just assumed they would be very protective of Mads and wouldn’t want someone just snapping pictures of him.  She said we could.  Yippee!! 

My mom had cleverly put together a serving tray of body organs (a heart, kidney, brain).  Mads LOVED it! He even started reading the descriptions on the packages of each one.  And I was just casually taking pics.  A lot of pics.  He didn’t mind at all.  Another handler suggested that Mads pose for the camera holding the tray, so I took a picture of that.  Photographing Mads……I had to convince my hands to not shake.  I was nervous, but Mads put me at ease.  He has that effect on people.

My mom bought a signed picture from him, which cost $50 (including a pic at the table).  These con prices are ridiculously high, but Mads was worth it.   He made some jokes.  We laughed.  It was so fun.  We got to have a conversation with him without feeling rushed.  We talked about Hannibal & Casino Royale.  I was trying to not freak out over the fact that we were meeting a Bond villain.  And when Mads would talk to you, he would look into your eyes and give you his undivided attention.  Okay, maybe I was a wee bit nervous.   :blink:

When it came time to take a picture, the handler asked if we wanted to all be in it.  Now, that just seemed unheard of to have a headlining guest take a group photo at the table.  Rarely happens (never happens).  Mads put his arm around me; I thought I’d melt.   :wub: So, there I was with my arm around Hannibal’s waist taking a picture, then another. No biggie. ;)

Mads’ accent will make a stable gal swoon.  We couldn’t get enough of him.  So later in the day, when it came time for his Q&A, we jumped at the chance to go.  And if they had properly let out the audience from the previous panel, we would’ve had great seats, but they didn’t, so we didn’t.  But we were in the room & could hear him & see him a little bit, so that was all that mattered to us.  He sure enjoys talking and sharing stories.  It was interesting to hear so much backstory behind so many of movies & Hannibal.  I felt like a part of TV history, sitting in that room. Fascinating man all around! 

Okay…Well, there you have it, folks.  Sorry it took me so long to write & took you so long to read.  Surprisingly, this is the short version of a long, incredible day.  And this forum can never handle my overuse of emoticons, so if there's a place where it feels like there should've been a *wink* or a *smile*, know that one is there, but you just can't see it. *wink* 

If you read every single word of this, *standing ovation* for you! 

If you read every other sentence, skipped a few paragraphs, and only skimmed the middle, I will still applaud you but question your reading abilities.  

And if you read nothing, then you missed out on everything (included this sentence where I mentioned you behind your back). 

Have a convention experience you want to talk about? I’m all ears and eyes and a nose and a mouth -- I’ll be a whole face for you!  B)

#54 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

Sounds like fun, Indie!  I have loved Mads Millelsen ever since I've seen Flame and Citron. If you have not seen this film, you need to.  It's one of my favorite performances by him.  This and Valhalla Rising.

I think it's great that William Sadler said that he did not like the ending in The Mist. As an actor who not only worked on the film, but many with Darabont, it's nice to see that he does to just tow the line with saying it was amazing.  Personally, I liked the ending, but everyone has their prefrence.  Too often you hear actors say, "yeah, it's great" and you can tell they don't like it.  That's what I enjoy about Mickey Rourke. He's not afraid to say what he thinks. 

#55 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

Sounds like fun, Indie!  I have loved Mads Millelsen ever since I've seen Flame and Citron. If you have not seen this film, you need to.  It's one of my favorite performances by him.  This and Valhalla Rising.

I think it's great that William Sadler said that he did not like the ending in The Mist. As an actor who not only worked on the film, but many with Darabont, it's nice to see that he does to just tow the line with saying it was amazing.  Personally, I liked the ending, but everyone has their prefrence.  Too often you hear actors say, "yeah, it's great" and you can tell they don't like it.  That's what I enjoy about Mickey Rourke. He's not afraid to say what he thinks. 

Thank you for reading my adventures, John! What an amazing time! 

I've never seen nor heard of Flame and Citron, but I definitely will see it now.  

William Sadler was nothing like I thought he'd be.  He was quiet and soft-spoken, yet engaging & open about things.  You're right.   He could've raved about it or just half-heartedly supported it.  He didn't have to be honest, but I guess that's just the kind of man he is.  

I want actors to like & enjoy their work, but I also like when actors speak up against something they don't agree with.  He also mentioned that he didn't like the fact that his character struggles to survive & then David Drayton takes matters into his own hands in the end.  William really took that shocking ending personal. And I can't blame him, even if I loved the ending. 

Rourke & Sadler have both been playing the acting game for awhile; they're well-entitled to their own opinions about projects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users