Photo

My Interview With The Metal God - Illustrated!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Heya Metal fans -
Crossed another one off my fantasy list last month when I sat down with Judas Priest frontman, ROB HALFORD, here in San Diego.
To say that I've been a massive fan of Judas Priest, FIGHT, and Halford music for the better part of the last 30 years would be an understatement.
That music has fueled a shit-ton of illustrations during my career, most recently my illustration, Hell Patrol.

I can't tell you how cool it was for me, personally, to sit down and have a pro-to-pro yak with him.
It was rather like meeting Lennon, or Hendrix, or some other iconic music legend (take your pick) for me.
Halford's lyrics, his writing, is truly inspiring to me in the same way that things like Blade Runner inspires me.
It's great creative grist.

Halford himself is a very down to earth, sensitive (in the best meaning of the word), extremely creative individual.
He's got this nobility, and intangible quality, the same stuff that comes through in his music and in his performance is 100% real.
The thing I really loved about him was how very humble and self-efacing he is.
He'd fit right in here, he's a HUGE fan of movies and loves comics.

I was offered a chance to illustrate an article featuring Halford by my pal, Josh Bernstein, editor, art director, publisher of ROYAL FLUSH MAGAZINE.
If you have not heard of or seen a copy of the mag I suggest you check out the two most recent issues, it's illustrated pop culture BLISS.
I'm a huge fan of the magazine anyway so it was a real treat to be asked to contribute.
But illustrations didn't seem enough. When I learned the illos in question would accompany an interview I sent off an impassioned plea to Bernstein . . .
I HAD to be the guy to interview Halford. I'm a Priest-file after all. I knew he had a home here in SD so there was no travel to complicate it.
And I thought it a unique opportunity to have an established creator like mesself go mano-a-mano with an iconic creator from another field.
Josh loved the idea and completely recognized the value of it.
I didn't want it to be the same 'ol banal interview thing. I wanted to know what inspires him. I had to find out what was behind those lyrics that have driven so much of my work and listening pleasure.
I wanted to do something you don't see too much of these days and was also inspired by the old 90's INTERVIEW MAGAZINE where you'd have Gary Oldman interviewing Tim Roth.
Always thought that was a great a hook.

So first I got on the horn with Halford's manager John and we ended up rapping for a little over 3 hours! He was already enlisting me to get onboard and possibly do some art for Halford (more on that later).
It ended up taking some time to get Rob and I together. We both experienced some tragedy in and around our lives during the few months it took to hook us up.
But finally, about 4 weeks ago we met and sat down at a great little hotel down near Balboa Park.

The fruit of that meeting will be on display in Royal Flush Magazine - Book 7 - On newsstands everywhere, October 12 - 2010
The interview is accompanied by 2wo Halford illustrations by mine own hands - Below is a cropped sneak peek of the the kick-off full pager.
As we get closer to date I'll be previewing goodies and promoting the issue through here (more personally) and through my Facebook profile.

More to come.

- TB

New HALFORD Album/CD, HALFORD IV - Made Of Metal, in stores September 28th 2010
Royal Flush Magazine on Facebook - Become a fan today, baby!

#2 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Reading/Writing, Music, Film, Art of any kind. The Truth. Alan Watts. John Trudell.

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

Awesome. I've been a Priest fan forever. I've seen them a bunch of times, Rob solo as well. I agree with you Tim, he is a trully unique and person and artist. Grossly undervalued in the music business, like most metal artists it seems, but revered by the Metal community, as he should be. I think his output, while a critical rollercoaster, is testament to the artistry of the man. He commits to it, releases it, tours it, falls back into the process. He also stays with the one that brought him, I don't think we'll see a Rob Halford country album (will we?) but when he does stretch out it's done tastefully and 100%. You can't really compare Nostradamus to British Steel. They were going for something different and it needs, imo, to be judged, or more precisly enjoyed, on it's own.
I loved the Two album he put out in 90's. Love to see him do more of that.
Can't wait for the article.

#3 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

You know it sometimes takes a deeper listen, and a lot of fans did not take the time to access Nostradamus properly.
Hell, it took me several attempts and finally I got hooked on a line delivery on the 14th track, Persecution - It goes -

"They will not eradicate me
Break my will or suffocate me
I will subjugate the hate
That they breed"

And the words are wonderful, it's all part of the poetry of the story, but it's the way Halford delivers THAT line - Different from anything else - It took me back to Defenders Of The Faith, to Freewheel Burning.
Halford doesn't copy it outright in any way, but what he does is speed up the delivery in a way that heightens the emotion of the material. In a sense he's making a statement not unlike Howard Beale (Peter Finch) delivers his famous words in NETWORK - "I'm as mad as HELL . . . ."

That bit got me listening, and what I found is that from Persecution, on down to the ending track #23 there are many such instances of Priest stylings from many eras, even back to Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings.
It's there in the instrumentation, in the arrangements, some of that is layered underneath the newer sound which envelopes all, but it's there and it's delicious.

From my perspective, the second half of Nostradamus is more accessible then the first half, but the more I listen to the whole thing, the more the album as a whole is surfacing as a complete work of concept album genius. I hope everyone can give it that kind of chance. Too many fans are giving up on it too soon. The fact that it takes a deeper listen, to me, makes the concept record that much more interesting than almost anything they've done previously. Tracks like Exiled, Alone, Shadows In The Flame, Visions, and Hope, are CLASSIC Priest in many ways. And Halford has never sounded better.

Interesting that you bring up 2wo, cause that's something Rob and I get into a bit. You'll find that interesting.

I should also say that we did not have the space to offer the whole interview in the confines of the article in Magazine format. We had to truncate it for publication. But rest easy, we'll be publishing the entire conversation (well, all that I wrote down) on the Royal Flush website after the mag ships.

- TB

#4 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

Can't wait to read the interview. Tim, you still doing an album cover for Halford down the line?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#5 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

Only time will tell, Mike.
Things were already 90% worked out on Halford's newest long player, Halford IV, which as you can see comes out very soon.
We've made the connection and I'll reach out to Halford's camp again once the article is out.
Rob has promised to get back together with me at some point in the near future to discuss some cool shit you'll read about in the article.

We're also going to get Rob down to San Diego Comicon next year. We'll do a signing (likely at the Royal Flush booth) and hopefully be making an announcement of things to come.
We tried to do it this year, it's even in the program book that Halford and I were signing at the RAW booth, but it fell through when management realized Rob had to be in Montreal for a big festival show.
SDCC is lining me up as an official guest next year and I'm hoping to get Rob added as well. SDCC is a hard Con to break into that guest status with. It's only taken me 20 years wink.gif

- TB

#6 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

I am so psyched about reading this interview!

Would you call this the interview of your wildest dreams, Tim?

#7 Father Doom

Father Doom

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

although my allegiance will always remain with Maiden as metal's greatest act, i dig a lot of Priest's work, esp. PAINKILLER. *GREAT* f**king album!

#8 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

Here's a sneak peek at the opening spread to the interview -

Here's some intel on what Royal Flush Book 7 contains -
ROYAL FLUSH BOOK SEVEN - street date 10/12/10 and a special lenticular hologram edition will be available exclusively at Barnes & Noble 10/26/10 (limited to 1,000 copies)
Rob Zombie cover by heavy metal album art master, Ed Repka!
Always Sunny in Philadelphia cover by Royal Flush's own, Patrick McQuade!
This issue also features a very special custom Royal Flush Fold-In by Mad legend Al Jaffee!

Plus we jam packed this sucker with interviews with Danny McBride, Lisa Lampanelli, John Waters, Roddy Piper, Tim Bradstreet interviewing Rob Halford, Roger Corman, Inside the Mind of Danny Bonaduce, Devo, Tenacious D salute Dio, Cheech & Chong, Frank Miller, Paul Pope, Chip Kidd and other comic legends interviewing Jim Steranko, Lewis Black, Corey Taylor, Mike Birbiglia, Scott Ian, King Diamond, Volbeat, Slash, Lee Ving and many more. Not enough? We also take the piss out of Sarah Palin, David Hasselhoff, Justin Bieber, Tiger Woods, Lindsay Lohan Mark Zuckerberg, Lady Gaga, Mel Gibson, LeBron James, James Hetfield, Marilyn Manson, Mickey Mouse, Gene Simmons and Patrick Swayze in another 112 page, full color, pop-culture-skewering bible of insanity.

Check out more here - > Royal Flush - Book 7

Going to be a classic.

- TB

#9 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (Tim Bradstreet @ Oct 8 2010, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a sneak peek at the opening spread to the interview -

Here's some intel on what Royal Flush Book 7 contains -
ROYAL FLUSH BOOK SEVEN - street date 10/12/10 and a special lenticular hologram edition will be available exclusively at Barnes & Noble 10/26/10 (limited to 1,000 copies)
Rob Zombie cover by heavy metal album art master, Ed Repka!
Always Sunny in Philadelphia cover by Royal Flush's own, Patrick McQuade!
This issue also features a very special custom Royal Flush Fold-In by Mad legend Al Jaffee!

Plus we jam packed this sucker with interviews with Danny McBride, Lisa Lampanelli, John Waters, Roddy Piper, Tim Bradstreet interviewing Rob Halford, Roger Corman, Inside the Mind of Danny Bonaduce, Devo, Tenacious D salute Dio, Cheech & Chong, Frank Miller, Paul Pope, Chip Kidd and other comic legends interviewing Jim Steranko, Lewis Black, Corey Taylor, Mike Birbiglia, Scott Ian, King Diamond, Volbeat, Slash, Lee Ving and many more. Not enough? We also take the piss out of Sarah Palin, David Hasselhoff, Justin Bieber, Tiger Woods, Lindsay Lohan Mark Zuckerberg, Lady Gaga, Mel Gibson, LeBron James, James Hetfield, Marilyn Manson, Mickey Mouse, Gene Simmons and Patrick Swayze in another 112 page, full color, pop-culture-skewering bible of insanity.

Check out more here - > Royal Flush - Book 7

Going to be a classic.

- TB

Thanks for sharing that, Tim! Sounds like an exciting issue. I'll make sure to keep an eye for out for this bad boy. wink.gif

#10 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Reading/Writing, Music, Film, Art of any kind. The Truth. Alan Watts. John Trudell.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

The last major Priest tour just announced. This is the last big rodeo for the metal masters. Are you ready Bradstreet?! Are you heading out to check them in your neck of the woods?
No KK Downing though. Thats a bit strange.

I will definitly be catching the Priest.

#11 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

This might help.

http://judaspriest.c...our/default.asp

#12 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

Yep!
I'm catching them backstage in SD!!!
Gonna be legendary wink.gif

- TB

#13 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

That will definitly be better than me fighting my way through Rochester! I may try to see them in Jersey as well. Twice in one week. And it wouldnt be the first time I did that. I did it back on the Turbo tour. New Haven, then two nights later in Springfield.

#14 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

I am seeing Priest in Lowell Mass Nov.20th. I am this close to backstage pass. A friend of mine is friends with the guitar player in Thin Lizzy. So my fingers are crossed.
The night before I will be seeing Guns n roses in Hartford! A lost weekend! Its been a while for me! Looking forward to it.

#15 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

Awesome!
Hope you get back stage and if you do, pass along my regards to Rob!

Sounds like yer in for one helluva good time wink.gif

- TB

#16 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

It's kinda adorable that you think you'll actually see Guns 'N' Roses play a live show.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#17 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Even unplugged, very metal.

It's kinda adorable that you think you'll actually see Guns 'N' Roses play a live show.

Axl Rose isn't looking very good these days either, and rumor has it he's sick.

#18 irish46

irish46

pencil butcher

• Old Guard
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:horror, zombies, westerns, action, adventure, zombies, comics, zombies, movies, tv, zombies, reading, hanging out with my brother Noeland...did I say zombies?

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (noelandlovesguns @ Oct 14 2011, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even unplugged, very metal.

Axl Rose isn't looking very good these days either, and rumor has it he's sick.

Yeah, Rose is the only thing original left in G&R.
Diamonds and Rust! from the Unleashed in the East album is just one of my all time favorite Priest tunes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users