Thank You Patrick Swayze

Tim Bradstreet

This probably belongs in the RAW bar but I don't care ;)

No, don't start to get freaked out, this isn't an obituary.

This is a thank you thread dedicated to a fine actor and fine man.

As many of you know, Swayze was diagnosed with stage IV Pancreatic Cancer last year.

Most people at that stage don't have 6 months to live but Swayze is bucking the odds.

A few days ago Swayze checked himself into a Los Angeles hospital to get treatment for pneumonia.

His immune system is taking a big hit courtesy of his cancer treatment.

It's anyone's guess as to whether Swayze will beat the odds, or for how long.

So while he's still walking and taking, and acting and performing, I think it's only right to celebrate.

For me, Swayze burst onto the scene in Francis Ford Coppola's 1983 adaptation of S.E. Hinton's famed novel, The Outsiders.

A small role as the elder Curtis brother. But small though it was, it left an impact on me. He was handsome, he was dynamic, he was a guy you didn't want to mess with.

But you could also see his heart, and that stuck with me. The next thing I remember seeing him in was Grandview USA (1984), mainly because it was filmed on location not 40 miles away from where I lived, in the small town of Pontiac Illinois. While they were filming there was a huge buzz for all us movie fans in rural Illinois. Me and some friends drove up and watched some filming one weekend and I gotta say it was very cool. I got to see Swayze (who was warm and approachable to the local crowd watching), Jamie Lee Curtis, C. Thomas Howell, Jennifer Grey, and of particular delight for me, character actor's M. Emmet Walsh, and William Windom. So there was great anticipation when the film was released in our area. Not a certified gem, but pretty damn cool for us. Also in 1984 I went to a small local theater and watched Red Dawn for the first time (It's amazing how Swayze and Jennifer Grey seemed destined to work together). That movie floored the 17 year old kid I was then. And now I was a true Swayze fan. Yet that wasn't quite enough to get the older, wiser, more discerning young me interested enough to go see Dirty Dancing in 1987, It was a chick movie right? ;)

It wasn't until DD came out on cable that I finally decided to watch it, by myself, far from the meddling eyes of my macho friends. And wow, was I ever wrong.

Dirty Dancing was not just a silly film about dancing. It was a film with great heart and a fun story. Swayze blew pretty much everyone away with that one.

I think it was the first video tape to sell a million copies.

From there on I stuck with Swayze through good and bad. He had a quality, you felt like you knew him, or wanted to. Steel Dawn (1987) is not a great movie, not by any stretch.

But it's still fun for me to watch, and it's got Brion James too! Roadhouse (1989), and Next Of Kin (1989), were seen in the theater. Not great films but Swayze kept us paying for tickets. Then there was Ghost (1990), Point Break (1991), Swayze was awesome, and a nice dose of one of my favorite directors, Kathryn Bigelow. In 1992 I paid to see City Of Joy, a pretty goddamn underrated film from Roland Joffe (The Mission, The Killing Fields). I loved it. In 1995 I also loved Swayze as Pecos Bill in Tale Tale.

Icing on the 90's cake was To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995). Swayze, as the incomparable Vida Boheme again stole our hearts, this time in drag.

Then Swayze went off my radar again until 2001's Donnie Darko, He is excellent in his extended cameo, a smartly observed satire of a self-help guru with a few skeletons in the closet. A nice, though small return to form.

Haven't seen any of his subsequent pictures but I am really looking forward to his new series, The Beast, premiering on A&E January 15th.

You can catch a 10 minute preview here --> The Beast preview

Anyway, just wanted to take this opportunity to thank Swayze for all the awesome memories.

We're all pulling for you Patrick!

You got any? Let's talk about them here.

- TB

Part of the magic of the Donnie Darko role was the fact that it was Patrick Swayze. I don't think that the role would have lent as much comedy to the film if it was another actor. Not only that, but in the film's final montage to Strange World, the look on his face expressed so much pain and guilt. I can't say that Patrick in one of my favorite actors, but in that final scene, there are a lot of actors out there who wished they could convey that much emotion in their career that he did in that few second shot.

Hang in there!

Good luck to Swayze!

ROADHOUSE is the CHEESIEST film ever but he was awesome in it (not a guy to mess with!)

WESSSSSSSSSSLEY!!!!!!! F**K youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

And of course Point Break got me into Surfing.. I suck and am more akin to an early Jonny Utah on a board... but still I try.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, the Outsiders was my first film seeing Swayze too. Still one of my favorite books, will always be one, and it's also one of my favorite adaptations. I think the film captures the novel perfectly.

I saw Roadhouse with my best friend Brian in the only theater in Cheboygan Michigan. "The Kingston" right downtown. We had a private screening as no one else was in the theater to see it. (bad weather I think) It was pretty cool. I'll always like the film for nostalgic reasons, and because how cool was Sam Elliott? He added a lot of flavor to the movie.

The theater was also where my girlfriend worked. While she wasn't my girlfriend then, we were friends, and flirty even back then.

It was just one of the movies of my high school years I'd watch multiple times with friends. There was more than a few Swayze flicks we liked and would watch together. Red Dawn was a favorite. We started yelling "WOLVERINES!" during paintballs games to get laughs. In Michigan, The Wolverines is an actual football team.

I remember also liking Next of Kin quite a bit as well. This was my first time seeing Adam Baldwin after Full Metal Jacket, and I have been a fan of his work right up until today watching Chuck every monday night. Also one of the first film, maybe the first film where I saw the name Bill Paxton.

For better or worse, Dirty Dancing is always going to be the flick I remember for "She's like the Wind" and though I don't care for the song, I could not help but feel more respect for him because hey, the guy can sing pretty well. Can't deny it. I was sure we'd see a contemporary/pop album from him after that song was such a hit.

I did like the movie too. Not something I rewatched a bunch of times, but it's not something I won't watch if someone puts it on. I didn't see the sequel, but was told he had a cameo.

I also wanted to catch his turn as Allan Quartermain, in a new TV mini series adapting King Soloman's Mines, but never did see that.

I read about him going to the hospital on comcast, and all they had was "Patrick Swayze checked into Hospital" and my heart sank, and I was sure I was going to read a story about him on his deathbed. But, when I read he checked himself in to deal with pneumonia, I said "damn, that's the smart thing to do."

Which I have found myself saying about Patrick Swayze more than once. He seems like a stand up guy, a candid, honest man who lives his life with dignity and integrity, and truckloads of strength. To be taking on one of the lead roles in a TV show while you are battling cancer just seems unreal to me.

I've never had more respect for the man. It's impossible for me not to think of my older brother Tom, who fought cancer with same kind of weapons. He just brought his integrity, and honesty, and strength to bear on the fight.

God Speed Patrick.

I've been a fan of Patrick Swayze since I was a kid. I don't remember which movie I saw first, but I loved him in THE OUTSIDERS, UNCOMMON VALOR, RED DAWN, and NORTH AND SOUTH. I resisted DIRTY DANCING for a while. I think it played at the Pickwick Theater in Park Ridge for like a year and I finally went. Never been a huge fan of it, but it's hard to resist its charms and he's great in it. ROAD HOUSE sealed the deal, I was definitely a fan of Patrick Swayze. And I believe that was my introduction to Sam Elliott. Has there ever been a cooler mother fucker than Wade Garrett? The correct answer is no. I've loved him ever since.

I followed Swayze to NEXT OF KIN, then the smash GHOST, and a huge favorite of mine, POINT BREAK. Swayze seemed to peak for me there. The movies that followed were not nearly as good as the previous 10 years. But I was still fond of him and would go back to those early films quite often.

I had heard about his cancer diagnosis last year, but then I remember hearing that he beat it. I spoke with my father, who's currently fighting cancer, about Swayze last week and said that and my father said, No one beats pancreatic cancer.

I watched the Barbara Walters interview the other night and it made me very sad. He looks and sounds very ill. As someone who works long hours on films all the time, I can't believe that he was able to shoot 13 episodes of TV while going through chemo. It's astonishing. And it's hard to believe that A & E took a gamble on him and went forward with the show. I can't imagine that they could insure him. He must have had to insure himself in order to do the show.

He's left a legacy of entertaining movies that we will always have and enjoy and perhaps we will be able to add this new series, THE BEAST to that.

I admire how valiantly he's fighting and I hope that he has more quality time left.

I was a youngster when I first saw Patrick on television. He was in "The Outsiders" and that movie was such a moment for me, because I was in love with Patrick, Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise and Emilio Estevez...LOL

I always loved the way Patrick walked, because it was this bop to his walk and I thought he was so cool. The next time for me was "North and South". It was such an epic type of movie and I thought this was ABC's version of "Gone with the Wind". He was so gorgeous and the way he talked I was mad crazy in love with him. Then they did the Book 2 version and again, still in love. Then "Dirty Dancing" came out and I snuck into the movies to see that. That was my first movie I ever saw in a theater. The dance scenes were unbelievable and I wanted to be a dancer and I wanted to dance with Patrick!

Patrick Swayze is one of those actors that I consider like a family member. I always look forward to seeing him in the movie, whether it is good or bad. He may not have had the best lines, but I always remembered him. I cried when I saw "Ghost" and I cheered when he was in "Road House". Whatever he does I will watch him in it. Had a chance to meet him while walking around in NYC and he was breathtaking in person and he was so kind and appreciative to know how much his fans love him.

It is breaking my heart to see him going through this pain, and yet I am inspired by him. I saw that special on TV with him and Barbara Walters and while watching I kept saying this is probably the last time I am going to see him. I hate to say that, but when BW asked him how much time does he think he has and he looked away, I felt that he knows the time is near.

I wrote to Patrick Swayze when he was first diagnosed and let him know how much I appreciated him, his work and his love for his wife Lisa. Access Hollywood had set up an email address and I posted it here a while back; I don't know if it is still live or not. I am glad I got the opportunity to write to him and I will never forget that.

Bottom line is this: I will always love Patrick Swayze.

Excellent stuff people. I love hearing everyone's perspectives.

Anyone who grew up or was around in the mid 80's and 90's witnessed Swayze's rise.

By no means is he the best actor on the planet, but his physicality, dedication and heart, his presence . . . that's inspiring.

I'm glad you brought up Swayze's wife Lisa (co-star of Steel Dawn), Tiara. That's a Hollywood romance that has stood the test of time.

Yet another reason to admire Patrick. When that guy is in for a penny, he's in for all 1000 pounds.

Some fun trivia about Patrick on his bio page at IMDB. -----> Swayze bio/trivia

I thought it was pretty cool that he's a distant cousin to William Holden.

xo - tb

Beautiful thoughts by everyone. And a great idea to start this thread now, Tim. Like a lot of people here, I grew up in the eighties, and saw Patrick Swayze rise up from a cocky young thing in films like Red Dawn, The Outsiders and Grandview U.S.A., to a handsome actor with depth and range in North and South. And as if I weren't already in love with him after that movie (But let's be honest, who wasn't in love with him after he played the dashing Orry Main?), then his performances in Dirty Dancing and Ghost cemented it for me. After that, I didn't care what it was, if he was in it, I would watch it. He's done some cheesy movies along the way (Point Break, I'm lookin' at you.). But most of his movies are imminently watchable, simply because he is in them, and has a presence on screen that commands attention. (At least he does for me. :P )

I'm praying with all my might that he will continue to fight this terrible disease and that he will ultimately triumph. In the meantime, I can't wait to see him in The Beast. I haven't seen the previews yet, but everything I've heard is making me anxious to see it. Good luck to you, Patrick, and God Bless. And thank you for many wonderful memories.

• 1 month later...
Guest AdminGuyX

There are some new photos of him online and he's just skin and bones. I can't even post them.

An article I read today says he's flying to his secluded ranch to live out his last days in privacy.

He's no longer accepting treatment, they are just going to keep him comfortable now.

The photos really made me sad. It just brings me back to my family members who've had to go through this, and my heart just breaks all over again.

I saw some photos of him chain smoking while waiting for Lisa and I guess this is the way he will go out on his terms. Saw the photos on the Daily Mail UK site.

awesome thread my Friend! As a kid of the 80s. Mr. Swayze is the coolest. Outsiders is such a damn fine film. I loved Road House! My favorite of all time was RED DAWN!!!!!!!!!!!! I still to this day love this movie. He such a badd ass to still be working and I wish him only the best. Oh and if you havent catched it the Best is a great show!

Again Great thread! I well keep Mr Swayze in my prayers.

Very sorry to hear that Swayze looks like he is finally succumbing to the ravages of this mutherfucker.

It will be a very sad day when we hear the news officially that Patrick Swayze is not longer going to be around.

Indeed, it's pretty heartbreaking.

But before he goes down that road I'm glad we are able to talk about the man while he is still living and breathing, and to honor him.

I can think of no better way to do that then to very happily report that I am enjoying his newest series, The Beast with great gusto.

I'm not a Kevin J. O'Conner fan at all, but he is really growing on me as Swayze's FBI handler.

My jury is still out on Travis Fimmel as the young FBI agent Swayze's character (FBI Agent Charles Barker) is grooming, the actual main co-star of the show. He's weird, sometimes I think he's dynamic and great and other times he feels to quirky. He reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on who.

Also of note is Larry Gilliard Jr. as a sort of FBI version of Internal Affairs. Love his voice and he has a nice presence onscreen.

And last episode I was treated to one of my all time favorite character actors, Gregg Henry (Body Double, Payback). Awesome.

The show has excellent production values, filmed in Chicago and it looks fantastic. It looks better than a lot of movies do.

If only the latest Night Stalker could have looked this good.

The overall story is pretty intriguing, Swayze is the veteran agent that works deep cover like an avenging angel.

He's the best agent at what he does, he's the best of the best, but he has a dark past, and Internal affairs is hawking his young partner to do some UNDER, undercover work. The kid fairly worships his partner but he's also a bit of a hothead, something that drew the kid to Swayze in the first place when he hand picked his new partner to groom pretty much straight out of Quantico. The kid reminds him of himself, and he's hard on him, very hard at times, but that's only because you know that Swayze/Barker is attempting to strip his dumb sap and give him the edge he will need to survive his job. He's tough on the kid cause he gives a shit about him.

So far I've really been enjoying it and I hope they can keep it up.

I'm sure that the production knew that Swayze would not be back for a second season so I'm hoping the first season concludes with that in mind, leaving Fimmell to carry the series future on his own, or with another veteran partner.

The point to this whole post is to say Swayze is nothing short of brilliant in this role. He's magnetic, and he has this character down pat. This was no sympathy gig. Swayze has it dialed in and plays it to the hilt. Definitely some of the finest acting of his career, and thankfully it's being showcased on a well conceived, well executed show. Better late than never to utilize Swayze's gifts in such a way. Definitely a show I don't miss.

- TB

How could you not like Kevin J. O'Conner? Not even after There Will Be Blood?

HA! Mikey V loves him some KJO'C!

All due respect Mike, I loathed him in a couple of movies, F/X2, No Escape, Lord of Illusions, and The Mummy.

A lot of that is in part due to the characters he played, and they were all kind of the same shiftless idiot.

It was never a personal thing, just was tired of his act. Thankfully with projects like There Will Be Blood and The Beast I'm finally seeing a different side of him and it's a side I like. That's cool. So I can't dog on him anymore ;)

Just for you I'll give a cheer, Viva KJO'C!

I'm switching teams ;)

- TB

The Outsiders was one of those pivotal films in my youth. And...I also LOVED Dirty Dancing. LOVED it. Watched it over and over...and still remained straight. Partially because I was in love with Baby...and partially because I wanted to BE Swayze! RED DAWN! HOLY SHIT MAN!

He's the fucking man.

ROADHOUSE is playing Saturday night at midnight at the New Beverly for those of you in L.A.!

Now this is some cool news. That's long been one of my favorite Swayze movies (behind, of course, Dirty Dancing and North and South). Another one of my favorites that really got trashed by the critics was Next of Kin. Yeah, I know it's kind of cheesy, but it's a fun movie, with some great character performances in it. Liam Neeson as his brother Briar almost stole the movie. :P And who can forget a young Bill Paxton as the ill-fated younger brother? Or Helen Hunt as the wife trying to understand the ways of his people? Like I said, it's cheesy, but it's one of my guilty pleasures. I just love that final showdown in the cemetery. :lol:

I haven't seen The Beast yet, but I'll have to check it out. Here's hoping that Swayze is able to rally and beat that terrible disease. So sad. Best wishes, and my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Thanks for the tip about the movie. Now I know what I'll be doing Saturday night. :P

Loved "Next of Kin" back in the day...not so good nowadays. I'm afraid to watch Roadhouse again because I remember it being good...much like "Flash Gordon" and Rutger Hauer's "Blind Fury"...may be better left to fond memories.

Just got home from a packed house at the New Beverly Cinema for a midnight screening of ROAD HOUSE!

And they followed the flick with a string of Swayze trailers including SKATETOWN, USA, RED DAWN, GRANDVIEW, USA, DIRTY DANCING, NEXT OF KIN, GHOST and BLACK DOG.

So much fun and so much love for Swayze! We had an amazing time!

Sam Elliott is the fucking man!

• 3 weeks later...

I think Swayze is a good actor and he seems to be a very sympathetic person. He did some fine work in the 80's and early 90's. He didn't really have good roles from that point on, until the small but nice parts in Donnie Darko and 11:14. It's a shame that he didn't do more great stuff between `95 (after Three Wishes) and 2000, but I'm looking forward to The Beast and the movie Powder Blue as well...

I think I first saw him in Ghost and then watched Dirty Dancing, Point Break, Steel Dawn (a bit trashy, but entertaining... liked the fights ^^), Road House and Youngblood, which is a fun hockey movie. It's been a long time since I saw The Outsiders, I gotta watch that again soon :)

Hope that he can beat the damn cancer as long as possible and that he doesn't have to suffer a lot!

• 5 months later...

As many of you already know, Patrick Swayze unfortunately lost his battle with Pancreatic cancer earlier this week.

All pretty goddamn heartbreaking.

He was a true star in every sense of the word. Kind, hard working, driven, honest, and an incomparable presence on any film set he was a part of.

I urge you all to check out his last work, A&E's The Beast, season one should be out on DVD. He is amazing in this series.

I've had my eye on Swayze for a very long time and the work he did on this show is maybe his finest, most believable acting.

Knowing that he was losing a battle to cancer every day he showed up for work (and he only missed one day of filming) is a testament to his massive strength and heart.

Our sincere condolences to the Swayze family on-masse, and especially to Lisa, his wife of 27 years, his true love, his partner, his muse.

- tb

As many of you already know, Patrick Swayze unfortunately lost his battle with Pancreatic cancer earlier this week.

All pretty goddamn heartbreaking.

He was a true star in every sense of the word. Kind, hard working, driven, honest, and an incomparable presence on any film set he was a part of.

I urge you all to check out his last work, A&E's The Beast, season one should be out on DVD. He is amazing in this series.

I've had my eye on Swayze for a very long time and the work he did on this show is maybe his finest, most believable acting.

Knowing that he was losing a battle to cancer every day he showed up for work (and he only missed one day of filming) is a testament to his massive strength and heart.

Our sincere condolences to the Swayze family on-masse, and especially to Lisa, his wife of 27 years, his true love, his partner, his muse.

- tb

Good stuff, Tim. I'm looking forward to picking that one up, even though it will be sad as hell to watch now. Kind of how it was sad to watch the Dark Knight last year. R.I.P. Patrick!

Archived