Bad Planet #5 Exclusive preview!

Alright faithful Bad Planet bretheren -

Hold tight to the arms of your computer desk chair, bed railings, or whatever will help you from falling over from shock and delight.

We're unveiling here, for the first time anywhere . . . One of Dave Kendall's super bitching pages from Bad Planet #5

Dave PAINTS a 14 page flashback sequence revealing key information reguarding The Convict's origins.

All I can say is YOWZA!

Don't worry, Jim Daly and I provide the bookends to this issue with 8 new pages of lunacy from your regular artists.

We had to scale down our page count so we could put everything we have into issue #6.

Andlemmetellya. Daly totally outdid himself on the pencils. He BLOWS THE DOORS OFF his previous work on the title.

But geez, forget about issue #6 for now (somebody stop me).

Check out Dave Kendall and weep with joy.

- TB

bp_5_pg04altcapsm.jpg

Hey genius-

How does it feel to be a genius? You stupid genius.

When you say 'PAINTS' what do you mean exactly? Like oil or acrylic? I'm curious as to what the medium is. i saw this totally sick jungle military scene piece you did and I literally had to rub my eyes till they nearly fell out of my sockets to be convinced it wasn't a photograph run through some filters in Photoshop. It was brilliant and then someone told me you drew it. I was completely floored. Even Thomas Jane's icon- I saw that in full effect as well. But anyways, what do these comics use? color pencils, pastels, oils what?

ld2f4f7edc8e9f0a1377341bd9.jpg

And did you see the silk screen prints I posted that Patricia Aqruette did? She had to carve out the image in reverse into blocks and then load it with ink and piece it together!

Do comics nowdays use lithographic methods like that- say carving out of metals, tweaking the colors with chemical reactions to design a print? Or any digital processing or are you all purists and stick with the good ol' fashioned pencil?

I'm not tryin' to hassle you man- I'm just curious. And please if you can- lead me the way to more dope 3-D material!! I'm thirsty for anything 3-D. So you guys say it was Zone or something that did Bad Planet #3. Tell me about more well produced 3-D material out there please.

And lastly, tell me where I can tell my friends to order it- those who don't live near a shop.

Take care-

sveinx

And lastly, tell me where I can tell my friends to order it- those who don't live near a shop.

Take care-

sveinx

I just placed an order for #1 - #3 at

http://www.badgercomics.com/index.php/cPat...ohen2gkff88q3b6

I hope that link works.

Anyway, I'm going off to Gatlinburg for a few days and am hoping they'll be waiting for me when we get back. I'll let you know if they get here in one piece.

BTW, I would highly prefer to purchase #4 - #6 directly from RAW, even if it costs a little more, if you sell them through your website store eventually. I'm thinking it's more money to the person(s) who actually created the product and fewer folks taking a cut. It's that way in independent music anyway.

But that's just me.

BTW, I would highly prefer to purchase #4 - #6 directly from RAW, even if it costs a little more, if you sell them through your website store eventually. I'm thinking it's more money to the person(s) who actually created the product and fewer folks taking a cut. It's that way in independent music anyway.

But that's just me.

I completely agree with ya on that one.

-JO

Thanks kwiat_skye! That's really helpful. And yeah- ordering direct is the best way to support. I even know of some musicians that have released records under numerous labels and now are opting to have their own website and emailing .mp3 format of the album for a donation via paypal. Any amount the listener feels they deserve! Which is really profitable and fair cause I heard a $16 CD only gives like $1 to the artist or soemthing ridiculous like that.

sveinx

I'm 100% in favor of ordering directly from the guys at RAW. They deserve every cent for all the hard work they put into this.

So how about it, guys? Any idea when the RAW store will be online?

I got Bad Planet #2 & 3, but I'm still looking for # 1. I tried the link above but they're out of #1. But I did find a copy of the original issue of Bad Planet on Amazon. If I can't find one of the newer ones, I'm gonna get that, but I'd rather get that. Does anyone know of any other online stores to order from?

Thanx

Mediumfan

Thanks so much for that, kwiat skye ( I love you screen name, by the way, it's so cool).

I was able to find both of the Criminal Macabre books and Bad Planet #1.

That was great. Thanks for the tip.

mediumfan

I have to transfer credit for the info on midtown over to JWeber who posted it on another thread.

(Thanks.)

I'm glad it worked out for you.

kwiat_skye-

I have to transfer credit for the info on midtown over to JWeber who posted it on another thread.

I'll be takin' that credit now thank you very much. Cause it was me who transfered that to someone who then transfered it to someone else and somehow got transfered all over the place and probably ended up in JWeber's hands.

So, I appreciate it. Don't mention it.

sveinx

We have nothing set up currently for buying the issues directly from us.

We totally appreciate the idea of that big time.

Right now we just don't have a way to store back issues and the like.

It's something we're pursuing.

For the time being the best way to help us is to spread the word about the books and get people to order them from their retailers.

We're attempting to set up adeal with one of these online suppliers hoping to boost numbers of our initial print runs and sell direct to them at low cost.

It's something we're fiddling with.

We have some other ideas in the works too.

And even though Tom and I will be shooting a film while in New Mexico, we're also going to have time to sit down together and hash out this type of stuff.

Whatever ends up happening you can be sure we'll keep everyone here in the loop.

- TB

Hey kwiat_skye- you know I was kiddin' right? I didn't transfer shit- I was just really digging the idea of transferring. And I really love the idea of networking and helping one another out- that's what its about right? 'Transferring information'

Speakin' of 'spreading the word' I did my best the other day without trying to sound preachy' There was some lady handing out Niles 30 Day movie screening flyers in Union Square in Manhattan. I was sitting down on the steps on this beautiful breezy afternoon when this lady made the mistake of coming up to me. That's when I got started and remember I've never heard of Steve Niles before last month and I get in her face spitting all this data on Steve Niles and Bradstreet and Jane and Raw and start flippin' out over Bad Planet's 3-D technology. And after I was done, she's like ' yeah...but I'm not really into this , I'm just helpin' out a friend, thanks anyway- i'll keep it in mind' and then walked away.

At least I got it into her mind and somehow managed to convince her to keep it there.

But earlier that afternoon I went back to Forbidden Planet hoping to scope out some more 3-D work and guess what? It doesn't exist! I was talkin' to a couple of the guys who work there and the only think they could come up with as far as the '3-D comic scene' was an issue of Gumby. It took me while before I wanted to admit I heard them right. I was really hoping he said, 'Gumpy or Gunky the psycho bio-mechanoid federal agent serial killer' but no...it was Gumby as in walking green rectangular piece of shit that talks and bends.

Anyways so I unleashed my bit on how rad Bad Planet is and not cause I'm trying to boost your business or anything, I just get like that with anything I'm totally blown away by and just have to share and want people to experience it. One of the guys knew exactly what I was talking about when I said,'and then on page something this giant blue cadillac flies out of the parking lot and smashes into your face'

The other guy never heard of it but I made sure that he knew that he would be missin out if he didn't pick this bad ass issue up. Well, I purchased Dave McKean's Dust Cover and left wishing that everything in the world was 3-D.

sveinx

p.s. again-

Tim says-

We're attempting to set up adeal with one of these online suppliers hoping to boost numbers of our initial print runs and sell direct to them at low cost.

$3.99 is 'low-cost' as it is don't you think? i say hike up the price cause I don't know but 'price' and 'value' may be a factor in the public psychology. Like when somebody sees something is 4 bucks they think another regular issue but if you packaged that shit with a heavy price tag like $149.99 people might think 'whoah, I have to get that! But I can't afford but its so state of the art! I HAVE to have it.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong. And its very cool in the indie-spirit sense to sell as a regular comic but it'll bother me if more people didn't know about it. Plus like I've said before- I think the production here should be noticed by the world and not just the comic realm.

I know what you mean, sveinx. I've been really digging this 3-D lately. And ever since BP #3 came out, suddenly it's like everyone's talking about 3-D. I've found a couple of articles online in the last couple of days about it. One of 'em was about Glenn Caron and Medium (check out my 3-D Biz thread, I put the links in there). But other than that, up til now, it's like it was a lost art form. It's a shame really, because it's so incredible, and I can't even imagine the skill that it takes to do it. I was reading BP#3 again last night, and I was once again blown away by the artwork in it. All of it is great, but particularly the 3-D parts. The parts with the spaceship and the car that look like they're going to fly right into your face. Another one that struck me was the soldier tossing the grenade, and it looks like you could reach right out and catch it. But it's also the little things too. Like the scene in the cockpit of the spaceship when the two pilots are talking. If you look through the window of the cockpit, it almost feels like you're actually in space. Also the scene when the ship is flying through the galaxy (looks kinda like the Milky Way) feels that way too. And the scene in the brig of the spaceship when one of the aliens is standing outside the cell door and you look through the bars, and it looks so real it's amazing.

That's what blows me away about what these guys are doing. It's not only ground-breaking and cutting-edge, and an almost lost art-form, but the skill level of the artists that they have brought to the table is mind-boggling, they're so good. Not only Bradstreet, and Niles, but Ray Zone and all of the others that I can't begin to name who have brought this thing to a whole 'nother dimension, literally.

On that note, I can't wait to see the next couple of issues. Just peeking at the previews is enough to make my mouth water for more. And guys, ya gotta do some more 3-D somewhere down the line. That stuff in #3 is just too good to let stand alone. It needs a companion piece, maybe one in the next series to sort of bookend the whole story.

And I agree with sveinx as well in that it's a shame that this work is really only appreciated by comic book aficianados, and not exposed to the general public. Have there ever been any public showings of comic art, other than at comic-cons, such as at a gallery where people who don't normally see this kind of stuff might see it?

Speaking of 'spreading the word', I was out last weekend trolling comic stores looking for back issues of BP and APF3K, and of the three that I visited, only one hadn't heard of you guys, so I did like sveinx. I started raving about how great the work is and how RAW has got such great artists involved with them. And I told them about the 3-D issue and about your website and suggested they check it out. Don't know if it helped, but I was so stoked after reading BP#3 that I was wired on the subject. But the other stores that I visited said that they couldn't keep the RAW books on the shelf. One was almost completely sold out ( I bought the last APF #4) and the other one only had one or two issues of BP#3.

Mediumfan

• 2 months later...

Hey folks, we showed ya a nice preview page of the cool as shit Dave Kendall 16 page contribution, now here's an advanced peak of what Jim and I have in store for ya's in the other part of the issue -

BP5pg1.jpg

And remember, it's all wrapped up inside this MAGNIFICENT Michael Wm. Kaluta cover!

BP5Kalutaaltered4TDL.jpg

Going to the printer soon and I expect a release date towards the end of February.

- TB

Wow, breath-taking artwork!! :D

Just a quick thing, to add my opinion to the others here, it would be AWESOME if you had your own online store!!

Maybe it's not the place to ask/posit this here, but has anyone contacted any big bookstore chains to see what they think about carrying Bad Planet?

In the past Borders bookstore, at least the one I went to in NJ, used to be great about stocking the magazine sections with varied materials, included some music fanzines and other types of zines. I see that's it's tapered away lately, and I don't know if an individual store in a chain can order their own stuff (or if they follow a national list of what to stock) - but, being lazy in certain respects, I'm all for the convenience of walking into a bookstore and finding Bad Planet there... :lol:

Jen

Unfortunately we'll all have to hold out for the trade as Bad Planet pertains to retail bookstore outlets.

Don't worry though, we have an oversized hardcover black and white collected edition we'll be unveiling at Comicon this year, followed very closely by the full color TPB edition.

Cover by the immortal, the legendary Basil Gogos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All ya gotta do is get in line ;)

- TB

Unfortunately we'll all have to hold out for the trade as Bad Planet pertains to retail bookstore outlets.

Don't worry though, we have an oversized hardcover black and white collected edition we'll be unveiling at Comicon this year, followed very closely by the full color TPB edition.

Cover by the immortal, the legendary Basil Gogos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All ya gotta do is get in line ;)

- TB

oh, sure. that's all well and good for those people who are lucky enough to live in cali!

those of us out here in the central plains just get to WAIT!

;)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey though, worry not. If all goes well (as I assume it will), the oversized hardcover Black and white edition should hit shops the same week as comicon.

Cheers!

- TB

thanks for the note, tim.

i need to remember to check back here more often.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would say hello. Got to say thanks to Tim for the kind words it's really appreciated. I can't believe I produced these pages a year ago. It was such a fun project to do and pretty scary considering the artistic talent already involved. Tim and Jim take a bow. Awesome work guys. I'm honored to have been involved in this super cool book with a script like no other. Talking of scripts there's another guy who was my main point of contact, Mr Tom Jane. A more down to earth guy I couldn't wish to meet, or for that matter, sink more than a few drinks with in London. An evening I won't forget in a while.:)

I hope you enjoy my offering to the convicts tale. I had a blast. It's not every day you get to draw alien worlds and spiders that are pure death on 12 legs.

Here's another taster for you guys. A pin-up that I used to warm myself up for the main event.

BPwarrior.jpg

Guest FADoss

Bought 1-4 on my first trip through Austin...and now that I'm here I'm very happy to have somewhere to snag up the other two books!!! I had to read the first several twice before I got hooked. I missed so much the first read through.

Great story and totally up my alley!!! And the art is amazing and seems to just be getting better.

Frederic

I thought I would say hello. Got to say thanks to Tim for the kind words it's really appreciated. I can't believe I produced these pages a year ago. It was such a fun project to do and pretty scary considering the artistic talent already involved. Tim and Jim take a bow. Awesome work guys. I'm honored to have been involved in this super cool book with a script like no other. Talking of scripts there's another guy who was my main point of contact, Mr Tom Jane. A more down to earth guy I couldn't wish to meet, or for that matter, sink more than a few drinks with in London. An evening I won't forget in a while.:)

I hope you enjoy my offering to the convicts tale. I had a blast. It's not every day you get to draw alien worlds and spiders that are pure death on 12 legs.

Here's another taster for you guys. A pin-up that I used to warm myself up for the main event.

BPwarrior.jpg

DAVE!...Limey Dave's unite! Good to see you on the boards fella and love the pin up...brutal. I too will not forget our evening of fun and frolics in London, it certainly was eventful and entertaining.

D.