Saw the film last night and thought I'd share a few observations. As this film is based/inspired by a historical truth it should come as no surprise to anyone that these people did not succeed in killing Hitler; however, one of the aspects of the film I was curious about was how they would develop the film when the "payoff" is common knowledge? Would this be a Titanic type experience or...

*SPOILERS (sort of)*

One of the primary flaws in the strategy of these conspirators is that no one is willing to sacrifice themselves for the sake of the assassination.

Everyone wants a role/position in the post-Hitler Germany and their ambition forces a relatively simple matter (considering that everyone has such close proximity to Der Fuhrer throughout the film) into an inordinately complex one. The film puts a great deal of energy into the discussion of the plan as to how this operation will be carried out and it becomes a bit laughable when it has already been established that—A:they will fail and B: at any one of several instances throughout the film someone could put a bullet in Adolf's head.

But no one wants to risk confronting the matter directly due to an aggrandized sense of self-preservation. Ironically, they all lose their lives anyway.

The brightest point of the film (in my opinion) was this idea that although the war has gone badly and many Germans feel betrayed by the Nazi party and the SS, these men wanted to show the world that Hitlers Germany was not the only Germany— that the people and spirit of Germany was not wholly reflected in the Nazi party. That idea was worth exploring a bit more and I think that if they'd played up this idea (that good men must stand in confrontation to evil), the characters would have been able to garner greater sympathy from the viewing audience. Effectively making the impotence of their plan secondary to the admirable spirit of confronting evil.

But because there was so much focus on the conspiracy itself, which failed primarily due to incompetence on the part of Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise) and his fellow conspirators as well as a general cowardice to do what must be done (self-sacrifice) on the part of all these Generals and officers who regularly send other men to their deaths. I was a bit frustrated at the end.

Everyone actions were self-serving (as they had all wanted to play an integral role in a post-Hitler treaty with the allies and ideally have leadership roles after the fact). Everyone wanted to be a 'hero' that saves Germany but no one wants to get their hands too dirty in achieving that goal. So because their behavior isn't consistent with the ideals they claim to be fighting for and the conspiracy itself suffers for that lack of real integrity, I found myself feeling nothing for these men when the SS puts bullets in them.

The visuals of Nazi Germany are always breathtaking from an artistic perspective, the design motifs and aesthetics of Hitlers Germany have always been so beautiful in their power and presentation. I've always felt that Nazi had the most visually arresting uniforms and iconography.

I saw this film as well and was impressed with Cruise's performance. I realized that there were good people who did not follow Hitler's way and took action.

I liked the film a lot. I've heard a lot of Tom Cruise bashing with regard to this film and it's really annoying. He's good in the film. It's not his best work. But it's not meant to be. It's not a showcase like that. It's a tense, suspenseful story that is really fascinating. I was shocked at how far the plan went. I knew nothing about that event in history.

It's not Bryan Singer's best work either, but it's a solid, watchable movie that works even though we know going in that the plan doesn't work.

Yes. I agree with those sentiments. I had no problem with Cruise's performance (although a bit curious that he chose not to speak with a German accent) or anyone's in this film. The pace of the film was even and I thought the editing was tight.

But you know, now that I'm thinking of it— this movie really didn't call for a Tom Cruise level actor. Stauffenberg's role could have been played by a Viggo Mortensen and been just as good. I have no problem with Cruise, but I think a lot of folks get the impression that they're going to get a Mission: Impossible or Jerry McGuire type delivery (something that is personality driven).

Again, no problem, just an observation...

I liked the film a lot. I've heard a lot of Tom Cruise bashing with regard to this film and it's really annoying. He's good in the film. It's not his best work. But it's not meant to be. It's not a showcase like that. It's a tense, suspenseful story that is really fascinating. I was shocked at how far the plan went. I knew nothing about that event in history.

It's not Bryan Singer's best work either, but it's a solid, watchable movie that works even though we know going in that the plan doesn't work.

We had our own nazi war movie last year... Max Manus, who was part of the Oslo gang. Even though you know how it ends, it's still suspensful as hell.

One of the guys who played one of the commanding nazi's, he's German and he had to learn how to speak Norwegian... Something he mastered quite nicely! (He's got a role in Inglourious Basterds, if the info on IMDb is correct)