This movie excites me. It's in pre-production and principal photography is slated to start in March of '09 but I'm geeked for this film.

The Expendables is a film about a team of mercenaries who head to South America to overthrow a dictator. It's written and being directed by Sylvester Stallone and the cast so far is as follows:

Sylvester Stallone

Jason Stathom

Jet Li

Dolph Lundgren

Randy Couture

Forrest Whitaker (Rumored)

I don't know about you guys but this is a kick ass cast of action packed actors and it's gonna make me feel like a kid again watching an 80s action flick.

-Raffi

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I had put a mention under the future movie releases thread...I can't wait to see this! I heard Stallone let AICN in on a few things and it is sounding positive.

JoBlo.com is reporting that Sylvester Stallone is pursuing Sandra Bullock to co-star in his new action film, The Expendables. Sly so far has cast Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Forest Whitaker and Randy Couture in the film about a team of mercenaries on a mission to overthrow a South American dictator.

Stallone and Bullock starred together in Demolition Man. The site says that "Bullock would play a government agent (paired up with Whitaker) on the hunt for Stallone's crew of hired guns."

In related news, Moviehole has posted a breakdown of the characters still being cast.

Stallone is set to star and direct his own script.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51524

There are still about a dozen more juicy roles to fill in Sylvester Stallone’s “The Expendables” – so I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the big names - and I was lucky enough to check out the breakdowns earlier today.

I won't reveal all the characters, just a few. Among the roles still available : two female agents (Sly’s apparently aiming big for both), the ‘boss man’ that initially hires ‘The Expendables’ (the character reads like everything Alan Dale’s done in the past – but hopefully Sly’s got more smarts than to hire Mr.Been There, Done That) and quite a few villain-types.

Here’s a few of the roles still being cast :

Agent Diane Lickson – C.I.A agent, based out of Langley. She’s determined to find out the identities of the hired-contractors (Stallone, Statham, Lundgren etc) but the only video footage they have of the guys is grainy and unwatchable so the facial recognition software is useless. Her colleague, agent Will ‘Willy’ Sands (Forest Whitaker), whose been out of the field for about seven years, is called in to assist her. He’s convinced the team of mercenaries is lead by someone he’s had a previous run-in with.

Church – The man that hires the ‘Expendables’ (run by ‘Barney’ and ‘Christmas’, assumingly the characters played by Stallone and Statham, respectively) to go after General Garza (who essentially runs his own island – described as a human rights graveyard). He’s an older bloke, and has a connection to the young man who Garza has apparently assassinated. This is personal, in other words. He wants Garza killed and his island burnt down. Five million dollars does the trick. (The rumour is, the role was written with Arnold Schwarzenegger in mind).

B.W Monroe – The Female chief intelligence officer, also determined to find out the identities of the ‘Expendables’ – largely Barney and Christmas. Her main interest is keeping The Expendables away from classified company operations that are already underway in the [Garza’s] area. She’s not that fond of ‘Willy’ Sands – considering he once [Johnny Utah-esque] let one of the Mercenaries escape.

Karen – a beautiful Raven-haired waitress; one of Christmas’s many past conquests. He doesn’t remember her – but she remembers him (he even gave her a ring).

Emanuel – a seedy contact of The Expendables. He, 45, doesn’t like to say things twice. They meet him at a club to do business. Seems a little bit shady.

Dan Paine – the head of General Garza’s security detail. His orders are to take the Expendables out. He eventually snags one of the mercenaries and tries to siphon details out of him. (This could be the part Randy Couture recently snagged; unconfirmed).

So there you have it. Expect more announcements soon I guess. It’s actually going to make a great movie, I believe, this one. It kicks off like “The Dirty Dozen” with Sly and Statham jet setting around to grab their team members – one owns a restaurant and bar; lots of good moments in his intro sequence – and ramps up the action as it progresses. The whole scenario’s like, say, “Clear and Present Danger” on acid.

Source: http://www.moviehole.net/200817106-expendables-characters

This sounds AMAZING..but I keep hearing rumors about a PG13 rating..which would KILL this film.

That would kinda suck if that rumor were true. I want it to have the Rambo/War Zone level of gore!

Vern, over at AICN has read the screenplay and talks . . . SPOILERS - So beware!!!

Vern has read Stallone's THE EXPENDABLES!!!

- TB

You gonna see this Tim?

"Uh ohhhh V.E.R.N."

That would kinda suck if that rumor were true. I want it to have the Rambo/War Zone level of gore!

The PG-13 thing is the one thing that would really keep from achieving greatness, it needs the Rambo level of violence.

But you know I thought War Zone: Punisher strived for that over the top Rambo violence but kinda failed at it.

Over the holidays, it was reported that Sylvester Stallone was pursuing his Demolition Man co-star Sandra Bullock to join The Expendables, but that doesn't appear to be the case, says The Hollywood Reporter.

One name from that previous report that was confirmed, however, is Forest Whitaker. Whitaker is negotiating to join the cast and would play the CIA liaison for a group of mercenaries (played by Stallone, Jet Li, Randy Couture and Jason Statham) who are clandestinely sent to South America to overthrow a dictator.

Nu Image/Millennium Films is producing the film. Avi Lerner, John Thompson and Kevin King Templeton are producing along with executive producers Boaz Davidson, Trevor Short and Danny Dimbort.

Stallone, who will direct and who wrote the script, has been scouting locations for a February shoot.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51687

Mickey Rourke has joined the ranks of "The Expendables," joining the ensemble of the Sylvester Stallone-directed action adventure for Nu Image/Millennium Films.

Rourke will play an unscrupulous arms dealer who becomes the go-to guy for a group of mercenaries planning to topple a South American dictator.

Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Randy Couture and Dolph Lungdren play the title characters. Forest Whitaker and Ben Kingsley are also circling the project.

The Stallone-scripted film begins shooting in March in Brazil. Avi Lerner, John Tompson and Kevin King Templeton are producing, with Boaz Davidson, Trevor Short and Danny Dimbort exec producers.

In recounting his rise to Oscar contention with "The Wrestler," Rourke has credited Stallone for helping him get back in the business at a low ebb, when Stallone met him at a restaurant and gave him a role in "Get Carter."

Rourke is starring in "13," the Gela Babluani-directed remake of the French thriller "13 Tzameti," which also stars Statham, Ray Winstone, Sam Riley, 50 Cent and Ray Liotta.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799806...yid=13&cs=1

• 1 month later...
We already know who's starring in Sylvester Stallone's The Expendables - Sly himself, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, and Mickey Rourke. It's essentially a who's who of cinematic badasses, give or take a few people, like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Jean Claude Van Damme (or even Chuck Norris). Arnold is no longer shooting films because he's the Governator, but we know that JCVD has been making a comeback, this year in particular. So why isn't he in this, too? Well guess what, JCVD was actually offered a role from Stallone, but he declined. Why, you ask? Thanks to Total Film, we know the real answer.

Van Damme claims that Stallone was just interested in pitching money and action, not story. We've heard that The Expendables will have a lot of action, but as for story, at this point, who cares if it doesn't have an Oscar worthy story? "Stallone gave me a part in his next movie," JCVD told Total Film. "But I ask him about the subject, about the story. He said, 'You're gonna make lots of money.' I don't want to hear that, I want to hear what was my character. He was unable to tell what it's going to be. [stallone said:] 'You know, uh, well, the fighting will be good.' [so I said:] 'Sly, what is my character?' So I didn’t do the movie."

I gained a lot of respect for Van Damme after watching JCVD last year. It's not a great movie, but I respect him for telling his life story and expressing it in that way. But now I've lost some respect with this. Of course story is very important, but it seems like it was good enough to get all of those other names attached. However, I think JCVD has moved on from doing action movies and now wants something more. It would've been great to see him return for something like this, and I would've gained even more respect to see him do it, but oh well, it's got one hell of a cast anyway even without him. Was JCVD right in his claim?

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/09/why...he-expendables/

It looks like this will be the year Arnold Schwarzenegger makes his Hollywood comeback! Well, not exactly, but besides his rumored CGI appearance in Terminator Salvation, AICN has just learned that Arnold will be appearing in Sylvester Stallone's The Expendables. They have a pretty trustworthy source - Stallone himself - so I don't we have to be worried that this is a rumor. Their source let them know that they've convinced Arnold to show up as himself, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, because Sly's character Barney Ross and Arnold "have some history back when the Gov was shooting Conan the Barbarian."

This casting news is almost ironic because every time I've written about The Expendables previously, I've joked that the cast would be perfect if Arnold or Jean Claude Van Damme joined. It was a joke because, as we know, Arnold retired from acting when he became the Governor. And JCVD, well, we heard about him. So now when it turns out that Stallone has convinced Arnold to appear, not only is that pretty damn impressive, but it's almost like a dream come true. Though we sadly won't see him doing any fighting. Word is Arnold will only be shooting for one day. Ben Kingsley has also been replaced by Eric Roberts.

They were also told that Stallone is tweaking the script in order to "nail the right tonal balance of humor, action and emotional reality." Which is good news considering the backlash from Van Damme's quotes last week. I've still got high hopes that this is going to be a frickin' badass action movie in the end!

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/17/arn...he-expendables/

I wish he didn't appear as himself. I wish he had some sort of role in the film. A cameo. Nothing large, but not as himself, as some other character. Military general or something?

I am willing to wager that Bruce Willis will be making an appearance as well; seems Sly is pulling in his business partners from Planet Hollywood... ;)

Now all we need is Chuck Norris and Harrison Ford and we have all the 80s action stars in one film minus Van Damme for his own reasons. ^_^

This movie has the potential to be a franchise, probably in equal terms with something like the OCEAN'S, 11,12,13,14,15,16 movies ;) ...They'll keep making them as long as we keep watching them. That's not a knock, I've enjoyed all the Oceans movies, starting waaaaay back with the original Sinatra flick. I expect these to be like them...good but not great. And I'm sure I'll see as many as they make!

...now if somebody could just do Tony Rome some Justice.... :P

• 3 weeks later...
WWE alum "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and Charisma Carpenter have been added to the cast of The Expendables, starring, written by and directed by Sylvester Stallone, reports Variety.

The duo joins a cast that includes Forest Whitaker, Eric Roberts, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Randy Couture, Dolph Lungdren and Mickey Rourke.

The action-adventure follows a team of mercenaries on a mission to overthrow a South American dictator.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53639

This movie has the potential to be a franchise, probably in equal terms with something like the OCEAN'S, 11,12,13,14,15,16 movies ;) ...They'll keep making them as long as we keep watching them. That's not a knock, I've enjoyed all the Oceans movies, starting waaaaay back with the original Sinatra flick. I expect these to be like them...good but not great. And I'm sure I'll see as many as they make!

...now if somebody could just do Tony Rome some Justice.... :P

That's funny! It's like the white trash Ocean's 11. :)