Scott Charles Stewart to Direct Priest

TheSuperbeast

Source: The Hollywood Reporter December 16, 2008

Scott Charles Stewart has signed to direct Priest, a horror Western that Michael De Luca and Stars Road Entertainment's Josh Donen are producing for Screen Gems. Mitchell Peck will also produce.

An adaptation of a TokyoPop comic book, the story is set in a world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampire and follows a warrior priest who turns against the church to track down a murderous band of vampires who have kidnapped his niece.

Cory Goodman (The Brood) wrote the screenplay.

The project almost came together a couple of years ago with Gerard Butler and Steven Strait under the direction of Andrew Douglas but fell apart.

Priest sees Stewart back under Screen Gems' wings, as he is making his directorial debut with the company's biblical apocalyptic thriller Legion. Stewart also wrote the film.

I've been reading about this one for a while, hope it finally comes together long enough to make it into a film! I acutally wrote a short story similar to "Priest" back in high school.

Finally I will get to see this on screen!

Guest AdminGuyX

Legion sounds an awful lot like The Stand. It even has characters named "raggedy man" and "ice cream man" that just sound like something from that novel. It has a good cast though, so here is to hoping Stewart proves to be a director to watch.

My brother "loaned" these to me like 2 years ago, and I really love the artwork, but the story is kind of fucked up. It reads a lot like it's written by someone who misunderstood western religions and is trying to tell this edgy story with misunderstandings and tommy guns in the old west.

:) I mean that in a good way.

I think Noelands discription is spot on when it comes to the story. It really is kinda screwy. But then how often do you get a South Korean, writing and drawing Japanese Manga about American old west christian culture. I love to check out Japanese Manga and movies to see just wonderfully they can butcher christianity...none of them seem to ever have a clue about christian religion and it can be amazingly baffeling what the hell they can conjure from their imaginations.

For anybody else who has read the stories you already know that the little bit of a blurb there from the Hollywood reporter doesn't even come close to what the story is really about. It'll be fun to see how badly this whole thing gets buggered up.

• 2 months later...
Screen Gems is loading another picture into its 2010 arsenal. Priest, the horror-actioner, set in a world ravaged by a war between man and vampires, is slated for release August 13, 2010.

The film will be directed by Scott Stewart; this will be his second film to debut next year after January's Legion. In the film, a warrior priest turns against the church to track down a murderous band of vampires who have kidnapped his niece. Gerard Butler was once attached when Andrew Douglas was at the helm.

Priest is currently the first horror film to stake out space that August. However, there are rumors that if Platinum Dunes decides to move ahead on Friday the 13th Part 2, they'll be seeking that same August 13th spot because it is, after all, a Friday the 13th.

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9790

• 4 weeks later...
Screen Gems. They love to keep it in the family. Look at the last few years and you'll see similar talent in front of and behind the camera carry through their horror productions. There are numerous examples I could cite, but the most recent is Priest, the horror Western by director Scott Stewart.

Stewart director another upcoming horror film, Legion, and now he's calling upon that film's star, Paul Bettany, to take on Priest.

Michael De Luca and Stars Road Entertainment's Josh Donen are producing for Screen Gems. Mitchell Peck also will produce.

An adaptation of a TokyoPop comic book, Priest is set in a world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampire and follows a warrior priest (Bettany) who turns against the church to track down a murderous band of vampires who have kidnapped his niece. Cory Goodman wrote the screenplay.

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=10076

Who kidnapped his niece? man Vs. vampires? That doesn't sound like the comic to me.

Yeah, what the hell? We've both read like the 1st 14 issues of the book and there is nothing about a niece? There is a story arc about a child that Betheal, a priest who is the embodiment of a fallen angel, takes under his protection. The child is manipulated to murder someone and is eventually killed by Betheal himself...and who is Bettany? There is no Bettany that I remember in the books? Ivan Isaacs is the main character in the "old west" time period of the story. Hmmm have to wait and see.

The original MANWHA, (it's korean, not japanese, but pretty much a MANGA anyway) is set in 3 time periods as I remember, Crusade, current and old west. and as is usual with this type of story has a very complex and extremely violent story line...sounds like they are taking very little from the original work.

Yeah, what the hell? We've both read like the 1st 14 issues of the book and there is nothing about a niece? There is a story arc about a child that Betheal, a priest who is the embodiment of a fallen angel, takes under his protection. The child is manipulated to murder someone and is eventually killed by Betheal himself...and who is Bettany? There is no Bettany that I remember in the books? Ivan Isaacs is the main character in the "old west" time period of the story. Hmmm have to wait and see.

The original MANWHA, (it's korean, not japanese, but pretty much a MANGA anyway) is set in 3 time periods as I remember, Crusade, current and old west. and as is usual with this type of story has a very complex and extremely violent story line...sounds like they are taking very little from the original work.

"Bettany" is actually in referrence to actor Paul Bettany, who is set to portray the main character, correct me if I'm wrong.

"Bettany" is actually in referrence to actor Paul Bettany, who is set to portray the main character, correct me if I'm wrong.

ok. :blink: