Criminal Macabre - Cover Blunder

Tim Bradstreet

So Shawna Gore, editor of Criminal Macabre contacted me yesterday to inform me that my hastily created PHOTO ROUGH will be adorning this months issue of Criminal Macabre - Cellblock 666 Part II, NOT the actual artwork I created for this issue.

Shawna was beside herself and with good reason. It's a fucking shitty badly composited photo rough that I used as a base for my real artwork. I'm flabbergasted about how that got past editorial without someone spotting it. To me it's night and day. Regardless, I cannot but find it a little humorous at this stage. They didn't even realize the gaffe until they were looking at printed issues. so the damage is WAY done. All you can really do is laugh about it.

Shawna was mortified. She has still not stopped apologizing to me ;) I'm like Shawna, fuck it, life is way too short to get shitty about something like this. I'm still trying to let her off the hook but she feels terrible. I'm more like, this shit happens. If it was done to me on purpose I'd be out to collect some heads. But this was an honest oversight and it's really nobody's fault. In fact, blame me for uploading the high res rough to the ftp in the first place. because that's surely what happened. I remember uploading the cover and about a week later they asked me to upload it again because someone had dumped it and they still needed it. So apparently one of my uploads was the rough file. Had to be.

Still, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The photo rough, with trade dress!!!!

15674.jpg

The real deal

Macabre10f1L.jpg

- TB

Oh my...dayum. OK OK...she's made the apologies and you just got to go on with it. I don't know whether to say congrats or sorry or both TB. These things happen and at least it was not intentional.

Well the funny thing is a photo cover with Tom as Cal would have been cool, but Jeezus if I'd known it was going to be this one I'd have at least made it look worth a shit.

You'll spot the quick compositing if you see it up close. And the photo is faded and ick.

By the way, that's Michael Jeter's burned corpse from The Green Mile Tom's choking.

'Old Sparky' put a real fry job on him ;)

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I'm sure they were expecting you to flip the fuck out, and hey, I'm betting lots of artists probably would not have cared who's mistake it really was.

Your art is obviously a whole lot better and I agree, it's night and day. But don't discount the strength of the composition, even as a photo rough. It works.

Though it's not the same without those flies man. They make the piece for me in a great, funny way.

BUT, Mike is right. Can't wait to get my hands on this fucker now.

I'm sure they were expecting you to flip the fuck out, and hey, I'm betting lots of artists probably would not have cared who's mistake it really was.

Your art is obviously a whole lot better and I agree, it's night and day. But don't discount the strength of the composition, even as a photo rough. It works.

Though it's not the same without those flies man. They make the piece for me in a great, funny way.

BUT, Mike is right. Can't wait to get my hands on this fucker now.

Oh those are flies! I thought they were pieces of crispy burnt flesh flying off the guy as he was being throttled! :huh:

Nomad

I found a bigger version of it.

macbreom2.png

That's fucking hilarious!

So not only did DH print the fucking rough but they also released this image that is obviously NOT an illustration to the diamond catalogue and other internet based promotional corridors. Which means that the slip-up is two-fold. The release of the 'artwork' to the public happens MONTHS before the art is actually sitting at the printer. Ample time to have caught the snafu. Damn Blast Hell And Damn ;)

I'm really not all that embarrassed by the photo thingy at all, I'm just flat out bummed that it's not the painted illustration.

Thanks for all of the supportive thoughts!

- TB

Maybe they could use the illistrated cover for the trade. My wife, who cared nothing of comic books even noticed something was amiss when I picked up my copy.

Did you ever get word on weather you get to use Tom on the covers for the next arc?

No word on that yet JWeb but it looks promising.

My editor Shawna just sent me a link for Dark Horse's official web site post on the subject of the misprinted cover.

Take a looksee right here ------> Dark Horse Horror Zone - Shawna Gore on the Criminal Macabre: Cellblock 666 gaffe

Not sure when it goes to archive but the link should be good for 2-4 weeks.

- TB

Are you satisfied with the apology TB?

Oh yeah, I was never in that much of a twist over it because Shawna called me and apologized PROFUSELY before I ever even knew of the slip-up.

It was way past being water under the bridge by then so what's to really be that upset about? Like I said, this shit happens.

If I saw it first and no one had been in touch with me I might have been more upset. But no one in there right mind could really get pissy about an editor like Shawna.

She's the goods, I luv the chica, so she already had that going for her ;) Now if it was some impy, fresh out of school intern I'd have rode him/her a bit. Not like an primadonna jackwipe, but enough to teach them that this aint no homework assignment, this is about his/her reputation, and you have to earn respect. Shawna already had mine so this was easy to let go. Professionally speaking . . .

Personally speaking, of course I'm disappointed. It sucks. ;)

But there is no real use in crying over it.

- TB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

i was WONDERING what the hell happened there! i didn't actually want to say anything to you Tim, thinking oh, that's a choice. uhhuh. NOT!

i was kinda like, jeez i really look like shit, there. i gotta hit the gym harder!

Especially not if you got paid for it...............

Archived