Emmerich's 2012

Tim Bradstreet

Apolgogies for stealing a line from 28 Days Later ;)

I'm warm and cold on Roland Emmerich. Always liked Stargate.

Hated Godzilla.

Enjoyed The Patriot.

Lukewarm on The Day After Tomorrow.

Have thus far steered clear of 10,000 BC.

Independence Day was not the film for me.

Not too much a fan of much prior to those.

Don't bother to sing about Universal Soldier either, it's way too late for me now ;)

Moon 44? May give that a nostalgia watch soon, especially with all the recent talk of Michael Paré ;)

Don't know much about this yet but I hope it goes where The Day After Tomorrow never got to.

Check out the teaser here --------> 2112 teaser 1 - HD

One thing's for sure, the effects here are breathtaking.

- TB

Luv the effects.

I also get off on the exuberance that comes from "doomsday" scenario films that are tied into world events/lore/mythos.

But what bugs me about this particular date (Mayan calendar and all that...) is that many of the cultures from which this lore is drawn are no longer viable/existent.

Thus, we may conclude that if the developmental logic of these societies was insufficient to sustain even themselves—then why should we invest any credence in the prophetic or cultural extractions of these failed societies?

Anyway, I hope the earth does "come to an end" in 2012... it'd be the perfect opportunity to steal a flatscreen HDTV with BluRay capability. ;)

Looks like it could be good and with John Cusack, Amanda Peet and Danny Glover its gonna at least be well acted.

And let's not forget Chiwetel Ejiofor.

After Red Belt, Ejiofor is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.

- TB

And let's not forget Chiwetel Ejiofor.

After Red Belt, Ejiofor is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.

- TB

I have loved that guy for quite a while now. His star is definitely on the rise.

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=42194

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/12/mus...emmerichs-2012/

Why do they still let Roland Emmerich direct movies? Oh, because people still get suckered into going. That worked on me for INDEPENDENCE DAY and GODZILLA, but I'll never sit through either of those disasters again. And in my defense, when I went to see GODZILLA, I was working in a town in Iowa with 5,000 population. GODZILLA is the only flick that played there for 4 weeks! I really like THE PATRIOT, but the rest is garbage.

It's really sad to me that so many event movies are made by "safe" directors who will make something relatively competent and bring it in on budget. While some of the visionary directors out there struggle to get any of their projects financed and are often not even considered for the event movies. And it really bugs me when these directors brag about their cumulative grosses. Like Brett Ratner. His movies may have grossed a ton of dough but has anyone ever gone to see any of those movies because they were directed by Brett Ratner? I don't believe so. Never saw the RUSH HOUR movies, but people went to see Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. That audience couldn't care less who directed them. And X-MEN fans went to THE LAST STAND despite the fact that Ratner was handed the reigns, not because of it. Any of his other flicks did modestly well because of the actors involved - RED DRAGON, THE FAMILY MAN, AFTER THE SUNSET. Here endeth the rant.

Sorry to go off topic.

But what bugs me about this particular date (Mayan calendar and all that...) is that many of the cultures from which this lore is drawn are no longer viable/existent.

Thus, we may conclude that if the developmental logic of these societies was insufficient to sustain even themselves—then why should we invest any credence in the prophetic or cultural extractions of these failed societies?

The Mayans had several calendars. The whole 2012 thing is from a long-count calendar but there are other inscriptions that predict dates beyond 2012 so even the Mayan's "knew" there were cycles beyond 2012. And gunplanet is right - they couldn't prophesy their own demise so why should we believe them on this?

What's sad is that movies like this and the DaVinci Code/Angels Demons sensationalize instead of educate about the real beauty and importance of bygone cultures, their art and their history. The real thing is WAY more exciting, bloody & horrific. But then again, I'm a nerd who almost wrote a masters on the depiction of beheadings in Flemish art during the 15th century so of course I'd think that!

Regardless of my academic rants, I'll see the movie just for the effects alone!

P.S. Check out any of the following codicies, either the Mayan Dresden Codex, or the Mixtec Codex Nuttal or the Aztec Codex Borbonicus and you'll realize that 'comics' have been around for a hell of a long time.

Have thus far steered clear of 10,000 BC.

- TB

Good call, I personally hate that movie with a passion. I went in hoping it would be something like the excellent "Quest for fire", but boy was I wrong on that one. The horror that is 10.000 BC even gave implicit support of Graham Hancock, the greatest hack and liar the field of archeology has ever known.

But anyways, 2012 looks set to have breathtaking effects at least. I'll be checking it out for sure.

But I can't help but thinking it looks awfully similar to the iminent "The Day The Earth Stood Still" remake effectswise.

One thing Emmerich's films almost always have is good teaser trailers ;)

We'll know a helluvalot more when we see an actual trailer.

Initilly I was repulsed by the idea of a remake of the CLASSIC, The Day The Earth Stood Still, but I have to say I've grown rather curious. As a sic-fi fan there just isn't enough out there so normally I go see anything which ultimately makes me one of the rubes responsible for Hollywood handing us shit more often than not. Still, I am intrigued by the latest stuff I've seen and like an addict in search of a fix I'm going to go see it. Might be my traditional Christmas movie. A tradition that's seen some decline over the past years.

Between the ages of 16 and 30, my brother and I (and sometimes my sister) would do the christmas thing in the morning with family and then take off for the theater in the late afternoon Christmas day. I remember seeing Enemy Mine with my brother way back when, those memories are magical. Wife and Daughter are going home for Christmas without me as I have to work , so I'll be stag and ready to carry on the tradition. Instead of my brother I'll have to go by myself or maybe Jim Daly will go. Can't remember if he's in town or not. Regardless, this is the one thing I'm looking forward to this Christmas besides watching my daughter open gifts via webcam ;)

- TB