Oldboy- by Steven Spielberg

mediumfan

Variety is reporting that Steven Spielberg is in negotiations to remake the Korean thriller, Oldboy, and is negotiating with Will Smith to star. This sounds like a terrible idea to me. This isn't a movie that either of these guys are suited for. It's a bit dark, and not well-suited for mainstream audiences, which is primarily what Smith and Spielberg play to.

Anyone else think this is a disaster waiting to happen? Or is it a genius move? Thoughts?

There's no way they are going to keep the ending. If Speilberg is actually up for keeping the ending, something tells me Smith won't be. And if Smith in some form of miracle does go for it, I will have a whole new respect for him as an actor.

Horrible idea still.

There's no way they are going to keep the ending. If Speilberg is actually up for keeping the ending, something tells me Smith won't be. And if Smith in some form of miracle does go for it, I will have a whole new respect for him as an actor.

Horrible idea still.

I'm in total agreement. This is one movie that is on my list of "Leave it be, you can't make it better." It is a pretty disturbing movie as it snakes head long to it's ending. I just can't see them making it and staying true to it's original ending. And if you don't stay true to the original ending for this story...then you can't make it better...so leave it be.

I just can't see them making it and staying true to it's original ending. And if you don't stay true to the original ending for this story...then you can't make it better...so leave it be.

That says it all. Maybe Speilburg should front the money for release in America and just have it as "Steven Speilburg presents" like Quentin did with Hero.

Absolutly right i cannot belive he made Ghost Rider What a terrible film, cheese all over on that one.

But as for a remake of Oldboy what do they think they are doing? They are never going to get that darkness that the film gets, whats the point in them even trying!!!

Adrian

So was Tom Jane attachde to this with Justin Lin directing at some point or was that just some crazy internet rumour I heard?

Tom is the one who turned me on to Oldboy a couple years ago. We watched it in his movie room.

I know he loves the movie but he has never said a word to me about being offered a part or being connected in any way.

Don't believe there is any truth to that rumor. I'll double check though.

- TB

We thought we might have been dreaming when we wrote last week that Steven Spielberg and Will Smith were teaming up for a remake of the ultra-violent, deeply twisted and utterly fantastic South Korean thriller Oldboy.

It seems that we were wide awake, though, with today’s news that Mark Protosevich has entered early negotiations to adapt Park Chan-wook’s masterpiece, about a man who’s inexplicably imprisoned for fifteen years and seeks vengeance once he’s released, for an American audience.

Continue reading:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23705

Brian Gibson over at Film School Rejects gets the straight dope from Will Smith regarding the Oldboy adaptation.

Looks like it won't be based on the film itself, but from the original source material.

Check out the scoop

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

SO, someone suggests that Spielberg get the rights to this much talked about film he'd never seen, so he does. Then he watches the film and is terrified, horrified, and mortified. "Will smith can't do . . . THAT!"

Then, he sweats, and worries, and freaks out for about 2 minutes, then says "wait, wasn't this a book first? A comic book or something? We'll just say we're adapting THAT instead of this film, yeah that's it. YEAH! Now, where is Indy I need to bend him over a pinball game. Call George!" and HEY, the loophole for watering it down and turning it into an "Awwww, hell no" crapfest is FOUND!!!

Good for them.

^_^

Anybody besides me ever read the original source material? :wacko::blink::huh:

I think Will should just stick to HandCock II...

SO, someone suggests that Spielberg get the rights to this much talked about film he'd never seen, so he does. Then he watches the film and is terrified, horrified, and mortified. "Will smith can't do . . . THAT!"

Then, he sweats, and worries, and freaks out for about 2 minutes, then says "wait, wasn't this a book first? A comic book or something? We'll just say we're adapting THAT instead of this film, yeah that's it. YEAH! Now, where is Indy I need to bend him over a pinball game. Call George!" and HEY, the loophole for watering it down and turning it into an "Awwww, hell no" crapfest is FOUND!!!

Good for them.

^_^

LMAO, noeland!!! :lol: You hit the nail on the head!

This is one of the worst ideas I've heard yet out of Hollywood. What surprises me about this though, is that Will Smith said once that he was afraid to venture away from the big-budget, blockbuster type of movies that he is known for because he was afraid of alienating his fans. So I was surprised to hear that he was even considering doing something like this. But from what I'm hearing, it sounds like they're planning to water it down and make another mainstream big-budget film out of it.

Tom is the one who turned me on to Oldboy a couple years ago. We watched it in his movie room.

I know he loves the movie but he has never said a word to me about being offered a part or being connected in any way.

Don't believe there is any truth to that rumor. I'll double check though.

So any update on whether Tom was ever up for a role in an Oldboy remake, or do I have to come to terms that t'internet lies to me :-0

• 3 months later...

Finally watched "Oldboy" the other night. Holy fuck Batman...no way is this Spielberg material! Great little flick. One of those I'll never watch again, but a good flick. Disturbing as shit. I have never seen such an amazing sex scene ruined so utterly in all of film history. :)