20th Century Fox has officially announced that James Cameron’s Avatar will also be released in IMAX 3d (as if anyone didn’t already expect this) simultaneously on December 18th 2009.

Continue reading:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/06/james-...tar-in-imax-3d/

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdminGuyX

This has so much hype and buzz attached to it, it's going to have to be the second coming.

I just want to see a new James Cameron movie. I really wish he hadn't taken this long to make a new film.

I mean, 35mm isn't good enough for him anymore?

yes . . . I'm a bitter jaded old man.

:(

• 3 weeks later...

"Avatar" Sketches Sadly Shot Down

Sigourney Weaver, who reunited with her Alien director James Cameron for his secretive SF film Avatar, told a group or reporters that she has seen the footage Cameron screened, but she's not telling. Cameron showed some 3-D footage from the film at the 2008 3-D Entertainment Summit.

"My lips are sealed about the fabulous 3-D adventure of Avatar, but it does look great," Weaver said in a press conference on Dec. 4 in Santa Monica, Calif., where she was promoting The Tale of Despereaux.

Cameron shot Weaver and co-stars in a motion-capture studio and will use the footage to render their characters as 3-D animation in post-production. Weaver still felt that the human element came through the technology.

Continue reading:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=3&id=62575

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure it was well worth the wait for a behind-the-scenes photo like the one above, but I will admit it's very nice to see an actual image from James Cameron's Avatar that didn't leak online with a ton of "Is it real or is it fake?" baggage towing behind. The LA Times have debuted the first official image from the Titanic director's much-anticipated sci-fi epic, due in theaters on December 18, 2009, and it shows director James Cameron pointing at something while star Sam Worthington (wearing a backpack of some sorts, as well as something on his wrists) looks on. We're not entirely sure what set they're on, but it looks like the inside of a ship.

This digital 3-D flick (which is a mix of CGI and live action shot on special cameras developed by Cameron) tells of a paraplegic ex-marine war veteran (Worthington) who's sent to establish a human settlement on the distant planet of Pandora, but winds up in a battle against the planet's indigenous population, the Na'vi. Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez, Zoe Saldana and Giovanni Ribisi also star. No word on when the first trailer will arrive (possibly in front of X-Men Origins: Wolverine or during the Oscars??), but one imagines we'll see more of Avatar within the next couple months.

Source: http://www.cinematical.com/2008/12/23/firs...nally-revealed/

• 3 weeks later...
Two more behind-the-scenes photos for James Cameron's Avatar have been released, the first one showing one of the sets for the first time. The sci-fi action-adventure, starring Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Peter Mensah, Laz Alonso, Wes Studi, Stephen Lang and Matt Gerald, opens in conventional 3D theaters and IMAX 3D on December 18. Avatar tells the story of an ex-Marine, thrust unwillingly into an effort to settle and exploit an exotic planet rich in bio-diversity, who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival.

Click here: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/avatarnews.php?id=51875

• 1 month later...

Reuben Langdon (left, in motion capture suit) works with a virtual camera rig

Last week at Kudo Studios in Marina Del Rey, Calif., SCI FI Wire was on hand for a demo of the Resident Evil 5 video game, and we were given a tour by Reuben Langdon, the co-founder, producer and action director for Just Cause. Langdon does the motion capture for the Chris Redfield character, and in the course of our visit he also shared his thoughts on working with director James Cameron on his much-anticipated live-action/computer-generated sci-fi film Avatar.

In the movie, human beings are literally used as "avatars" by an alien race. Much of what we see will be in 3-D and CG to convey an immersive, virtual reality. So what better technology to use than a virtual camera?

"[in doing RE5,] one of the cooler perks of what we did was using the virtual camera," Langdon said. "Basically, for Resident Evil, Capcom had requested a 24 look, a handheld-camera look. It's more organic. And to get that, ... editing can do that, but they have to keep reining in, and it's really tedious and takes a great amount of time. At the time when we started discussing this, I was working on Avatar for James Cameron. I told him about the virtual camera. This here is one of only four in the world."

The unit, Langdon explained, is "basically like a live-action camera." He added: "Instead of having an animator do it, you can get in there—or a director with this camera can get in there—and actually physically get the shots that he wants to do. It doesn't look like a camera, because it doesn't need to. It's basically a screen with a bunch of buttons and controls on it."

Langdon added: "There are a couple different versions of the camera, and this is the latest version. This is actually the same camera technology version that James Cameron is using on Avatar. This has been developing over the past few years. Earlier we used a poor man's version. We've been upgrading our system at the same time Cameron has been upgrading his system. Having worked on these different productions, I've been lucky to kind of see what is going on out there."

Langdon admits he's not quite sure if audiences will ever accept 100 percent computer-generated human actors over the real ones. "I am very opinionated right now talking about all this," he said. "I'm thinking that the audience will ultimately decide what is going to work and what is not going to work in the future with this kind of technology."

Some of the directors Langdon's worked with (Robert Zemeckis is one) seem to be embracing the quicker, more efficient technology entirely and may never do another live-action film again. "Whereas Cameron is doing things more cinematic and taking his time," Langdon said. "He has a camera in there [and he] blocks it out. He wants things to be as interactive as possible. So we are actually wearing our costumes [not blue bodysuits] as much as we can. Avatar and Cameron: They are really great, and they are smart, because all the people are going to be people."

Source: http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/get-a-look-at...rons-avatar.php

This is THE MOVIE of 2009!!!!

The movie was shot in early 2008.

Although filmed 2008 the postproduktion is still not finished.

The effects will rock the house!

Just read this to know why i think that this movie is something very SPECIAL

If Avatar is successful, Cameron hopes to make two sequels to the film.

Directed by James Cameron

Produced by James Cameron

Jon Landau

Written by James Cameron

Starring Sam Worthington (Also seen in Terminator Salvation)

Zoë Saldaña (Pirates of Carrebian )

Sigourney Weaver (Aliens Quadrologie)

Michelle Rodriguez (Fast & the furious)

Stephen Lang (?)

Music by James Horner (very good one)

Cinematography Mauro Fiore

Editing by John Refoua

Stephen Rivkin

Distributed by 20th Century Fox

Release date(s) December 18, 2009

Language English

Budget $250–300 million[1]

Guest AdminGuyX

300 million dollars? Is this guy ever going to make a film without an enormous budget again?

Would anybody else REALLY like to see James Cameron make a down and dirty action film for about 30 million bucks? I don't really care if he pushes the boundaries of science and technology, or reinvents how deep sea divers explore the ocean floor.

I just want to see the guys story telling skills put to work again.

• 3 weeks later...
Lately a lot of speculation has arisen regarding James Cameron’s AVATAR, that imminent, shadowy monolith of 3D cinematic game-changers due Fall 2009. There were rumors that a precedent-setting chase scene in the first-person was facing problems, and an even more random and recent rumor that Cameron had rejected at least eight different variations of a debut trailer. C’mon, we expect no less than double digits. For myriad reasons—most involving technology and theatrical presentation—this $200 million film is the Area 51 of the blogosphere. It’s strange that so many of the rumors have a twist of negativity to them akin to “Johnny’s volcano science experiment is going to fail.” Fear of the unknown? Cameron took the time to chime in today at AICN to reiterate that his film is next levs so STFU…

“As usual the rumor mill is grinding out mostly spurious stuff. …I have no idea where that [rumor] came from but I haven’t rejected any trailers (yet) since I haven’t seen any yet. They’re still working on them for presentation, which presumably will be soon. …Every once in a while, as we are absorbed in some intensely detailed discussion about sub-surface scattering or the way a tail is moving in the animation, I’ll just stop and have this moment of clarity, as if seeing it for the first time. And I realize that’s what the lunar astronauts must have felt like.”

Does that analogy to walking on the moon sound like damage control? Not at all, right? Rastafarian babe Thundercats or not, AVATAR is the event movie to beat in 2009. Michael Bay and McG’s “my robot is bigger and more realistic” debate is not on Cameron’s radar screen.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/11/james-...m-an-astronaut/

• 2 months later...
Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I tried watching this whole video, and got about 5 minutes in and skipped through the rest of it. I get the sense that Cameron has just been working on this film for too long. It's going to feel like a new record from your favorite band that was entirely over produced and took way too long to make.

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/06/james-...ks-avatar-a-lot

And maybe it's just me, but, you could hear a pin drop and Cameron didn't seem to get ANY reaction from the crowd while discussing the project.

• 2 months later...
The trailer is up. I don't like it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42113

You have to watch the french version, the apple site isn't loading the video. Fox does it again! It's OK since there is only one word of dialogue spoken.

http://specials.divertissements.fr.msn.com...ar/default.aspx

Looks like a cartoon to me. I dunno. I'm with you Noel... this trailer isn't doing much for me.

Guest AdminGuyX

I posted on another board that I want to like it. Hell, I want to LOVE IT.

I feel like I should like it just because it's Cameron and he's entertained me so often in my life and created some of my favorite movies ever.

I've watched it a few times now. It looks like cut scenes from killzone and halo.

I'm not impressed. It seems like cinematic cut scenes from a video game. The blue aliens (Navi or something?) look weird.

Oh oh. Looks like someone focused too much about that 3D motion capture thing and it doesn't even look spectacular at all. Let's hope that they didn't forget about story and character...

I can see where they (the studio) would want to hype all the action. This has been in the making for what. over 5 years now? Plus, what is the budget running at now? I'm not too worried about it mostly because of Cameron. The guy is not one to dissapoint (Other than the dissapearing act after Titantic) I think the first cut of the film was over 4 hours long, so it can't all be action, and when it comes to character development vs. special effects, Jim is good to balance them both without sacrificing.

Not the best teaser for film fans, but it's pretty good for high schoolers with loose cash. I'm sure the next trailer will win more folks over.

I saw 25 minutes of this at Comic-Con and it looks absolutely amazing. They showed a great live action Stephen Lang scene. And a few other live action things. And a whole bunch of stuff on the alien planet. And I'm going to wait in line tomorrow for the AVATAR DAY IMAX 3-D preview.

I just worked with a DP who was a cameraman on THE TERMINATOR and has stayed friends with Cameron. He's scene a bunch of the movie at the post house and he thinks it's going to change cinema.

This is James Cameron, ladies and gentlemen. He's always delivered pictures with solid story and character, even though they keep getting bigger in scope. Do you really think after 12 years he's going to disappoint?

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, I don't disagree with you Brian. It's Cameron. I know. I know. I still don't care for the trailer. I'm just bouncing my feelings around as honestly as I can. I'm sure every man woman and child on earth will see this movie, and I'm not going to skip it because of one bad trailer.

And I have kept in mind that we're not seeing this in it's intended format either, which is 3D. I might have to be committed after seeing this in 3D because it will just blow my mind.

None of the obvious arguments change my feelings on the aliens being too human looking, and too cartoony. In general I'm not liking the animation and overall style of the movie as it's presented in this trailer.

no discussion is needed furhermore...

it is a movie from James Cameron!!!