After Shattering Expectations, Shyamalan Wants to Make Unbreakable 2

From FilmSchoolRejects.com:

After letting down fans with Lady in the Water and The Happening, director M. Night Shyamalan is considering Unbreakable 2, which begs the question, if it isn’t broke then why fix it?

Story continues:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/afte...breakable-2.php

I still think he's a lot smarter than he gets credit for and I think "Lady in the Water" and "The Happening" may have been his smartest flicks yet...which explains why nobody got them.

Unbreakable was FANTASTIC and I have waited for a sequel ever since it came out. I can't wait!!!

Fred

I loved Unbreakable...I think it's so underrated...I actually thinnk it was even better than the sixth sense which i thought was a little overrated...David Dunn could be the ultimate superhero vigilante...Hope it happens.

I enjoyed Lady In The Water, but The Happening was the first film to leave me cold on Shyamalan.

It may have been smart?

But I'm not even sure if the actors "got it".

The premise is interesting, I'll grant you that. And it's shot beautifully.

But the performances are so vacuous I found myself wanting to strangle the most naive couple in existence (our stars).

I've never really witnessed an almost universally negative response to a film such as this.

Unless you count Bonfire Of The Vanities and Ishtar.

I've said it here before, I even love all of Night's films that most everyone else hates, Signs, Lady, The Village . . .

I'll even line up to see his next film. The Happening won't dampen my spirits.

But The Happening just didn't work for me - on MANY levels.

- TB

Heh, luckily I saw The Village while I was in Italy, strapped, and so longing for entertainment that wasn't fucking dubbed in Italia that even the worst film would have been like a breath of fresh air. But see, that's what I'm saying, I had no expectations,

the reveal/twist of the wolf creatures didn't fuck me up

. I just sat back and experienced the whole thing instead of trying to jump ahead and figure it out. Ultimately that twist is somewhat disappointing to many.

Maybe certain people saw the writing telegraphed on the wall. And certain people were certainly disappointed that the creatures didn't actually exist.

I try and do that with every Shyamalan film, including The Happening.

I wanted to embrace it with all my heart. I wanted to love it.

Three quarters of the way through the film I was still not feeling it, and by the end I was just dumbstruck.

- TB

I enjoyed Lady In The Water, but The Happening was the first film to leave me cold on Shyamalan.

It may have been smart?

But I'm not even sure if the actors "got it".

The premise is interesting, I'll grant you that. And it's shot beautifully.

But the performances are so vacuous I found myself wanting to strangle the most naive couple in existence (our stars).

I've never really witnessed an almost universally negative response to a film such as this.

Unless you count Bonfire Of The Vanities and Ishtar.

I've said it here before, I even love all of Night's films that most everyone else hates, Signs, Lady, The Village . . .

I'll even line up to see his next film. The Happening won't dampen my spirits.

But The Happening just didn't work for me - on MANY levels.

- TB

The Happening is the ONLY movie that I've ever come away from not knowing if I liked it. My wife, who HATED Lady in the Water, felt the same way. When "The Happening" ended I was just hanging there and unable to make a judgement call. It was the wierdest experience I have ever felt after a film.

I was also concerned about the performances, but I REALLY think all of it was done on purpose and I think it's one of the main reasons so many people fell of the boat for this film. The only people to survive NEEDED to be like Wahlberg and Deschanel. They needed to be naive and have that "innocence" that comes across as being an empty slate. If you miss that (if, in fact it WAS intentional) then you discount the whole film.

I was just left stunned.

Fred

It was done on purpose- the whole point was for The Happening to seem like a B-rated sci-fi/ horror film (bad acting, crappy digital effects, boom hanging into frame). But it was so forced, that it ended up just being hollow....for me, anyway. I felt like I was being treated like an idiot when I watched this movie.

By the way, I thoroughly enjoy all of Shyamalan's other films, especially Unbreakable. I think that a sequel has the potential to be really amazing!