What was Edward Norton's Best Performance?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite performance by Edward Norton in a Leading role

• American History X
    • Fight Club
    • Death to Smoochy
    • Red Dragon
    • 25th Hour
    • Down in The Valley
    • The Illusionist
    • The Painted Veil
    • The Incredible Hulk

Why do I not like the music they play in the commercials for this flick? It just doesn't seem to fit to me.

The trailer is good, the music is shit. If the talent was not there, I'd pass this up as another brainless flick geared towards teens. It never fails to amaze me that studios dump tons of money into marketing, but can not seem to hire folks who can do it right. The clever ones are few and far in-between.

I love this excerpt from the interview from Norton where he's referencing actor Jon Voight -

"Norton: Jon's a weird cat. I talked with Phil (Seymour) Hoffman about this. There's something about the guys from that era. There's something about the way we all work, I don't know why. I always feel more straight or more square. Somehow when I get around Voight or (Harvey) Keitel, they have a way they come at things that for a lot of us is somehow more unfamiliar. Like when I'm working with Colin or Noah, I feel on a footing where I'm like, "I know how to work with these guys." We kind of have a reference base that's the same. Then you get with those guys and you keep wondering where they're going to bring it from."

The proceeding generation of actors are indeed a formidable bunch of intimidating Tarters.

The good one's anyhow.

That's some welcome humility from a contemporary heavyweight.

- TB

The older guard definitely did some incredible work in their day.

Norton mentions Voight (whom he just worked with), and Kietel. Those guys each bring 40+ years of experience with them.

Voight (45 years a pro) has great films in his resumé like Midnight Cowboy, Catch-22, Deliverance, The Odessa File, Coming Home, and a real heavyweight turn in Runaway Train, to name just the obvious. Kietel brings major credibility since working in the Mean Streets of NY with Scorsese. Classics like, Taxi Driver, The Duellists, The Border, The Last Temptation of Christ, Reservoir Dogs, Bad Lieutenant, Pulp Fiction, and Cop Land.

Even for a contemporary heavyweight like Norton, you have to feel a certain awe. Naturally he feels like a rube, a square, a squeaker, when he's in the room with guys like that. And Voight is just the most recent. Norton has worked with many great actors of the proceeding generations, from Marlon Brando, to Donald Sutherland, Robert Deniro, Tony Hopkins, Anne Bancroft, Eli Wallach, and Stacy Keach.

I love that he's still awed and awkward considering he's now the power player.

It takes a while for true reverence to befall a worthy young actor. Norton is in a pack with guys like Brad Pitt, Colin Farrell, Robert Downey Jr, Johnny Depp, Jim Caviezel, Matt Damon, Ewan McGregor, and Christian Bale (among many more, shame I can't add Heath Ledger's name to this list), who are at the first leg of their careers. People call them great, and a case can be made for a few of them. But what I'm looking forward to is these actors becoming older. Becoming men, not boys. Downey, Pitt and Depp have begun to enter into that realm. And the longer they work and do good projects the more reverence the build. Many years from now when the new worthy talented kid on the block is leading a much anticipated film it will be these guys who will take the place of our Gene Hackman's and our Michael Caine's. That kind of credibility never happens overnight.

- TB