PRIDE AND GLORY

origin1950

What was Edward Norton's Best Performance?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite performance by Edward Norton in a Leading role

• American History X
    • Fight Club
    • Death to Smoochy
    • Red Dragon
    • 25th Hour
    • Down in The Valley
    • The Illusionist
    • The Painted Veil
    • The Incredible Hulk

I've been a fan of Norton's since his AMAZING performance in American History X, which is one of my top 10 favorite films.

He's not your average actor, and has one of the most honest faces in cinema today.

Whether he's playing a hero or a rogue, its always a complex character study that never fails to capture your attention.

This next here film written by Joe Carnahan looks dramatically epic...

prideva4.jpg

Its packin a really good supporting cast including Noah Emmerich, Jon Voight and Colin Farrell as the cop gone bad.

I have alot of respect for Carnahan's works.

NARC speaks for itself.

Norton I can talk about all day.

Let me begin by saying there's a framed 27X40 American History X poster hanging in my living room.

"We are not enemies, but friends..."

Death to Smoochy was wonderfully insane, I can remember the day I watched it in the theatre, there was no one there except me.

I must have sounded like a raving idiot from all the laughing in an empty movie theatre.

I think Fight Club was one movie I KNEW was going to electrify me.

I had already read the book, and found it to be intoxicating.

The movie pretty much lived up to my expectations and surpassed the fuck outta them.

Fantastic film.

I'm really lookin forward to Pride and Glory.

We're reaching the time of year when all the serious films are gonna stampede into theatres and this is a good way to start it off.

PRIDE AND GLORY

OCTOBER 24

-TL

I've been waiting for this film for a while now. Ed is always great. Even some of his lesser parts, he knocks it out of the park. I had to vote for Fight Club though for my favorite role, equal parts of Ed, the film over all, and the fact that Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite authors, and just a great guy in general.

Joe Carnahan is amazing. Even Smokin' Aces I loved. It just pure overkill and fun. As for Collin, I've always liked him. Sometimes I feel like he phones it in, but when he wants to, he can be great. This will be one to catch.

The thing I loved the most about Norton's role in Fight Club was that it was a 180 to Vinyard.

A completely different character both physically and emotionally.

I love the idea of comparing the black and white Derek to the very colorfully disturbing sckitzophrenic in Fight Club.

I think that level of versatility is what makes Norton stand out as an actor.

-TL

Despite the fact that this has been 'on the shelf' for ages, I a little more than cautiously optimistic about Pride and Glory. Anyone know when it gets released in the UK?

Norton is on my short list for actors who's movies are must see...but Farell has done some real stinkers lately...and it don't matter, if it's got Norton, I'm there.

hated Norton simply because (back when...) the tele used to whore his performance with Rchard Gear...don't know the name of the flick and don't care...

BUT when I saw Fight Club...whoa baby

and yeah, I voted once.

as for this film, yes, looking forward to it. too bad Carnahan not directing, but I dig this dude's body of work nontheless.

Guest AdminGuyX

I was surprised to see Norton in this movie. Just doesn't seem like his thing. That makes me wonder if there isn't somehting special about it that isn't outwardly apparent from the trailers.

The trailers looks OK, but it looks like many other flicks about betrayal and dirty cops. Most recently, We own The Night (even the posters are simliar in terms of how it's leads are composed in the image http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4078277376/tt0498399). But it also reminded me of Striking Distance, The Departed, Internal Affairs, Street Kings, just a few off the top of my head.

The director is the real wildcard here, as he's done mostly family oriented TV stuff. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out here.

I wonder why Carnahan didn't direct it?

Note, I've seen all of those films mentioned, so I'm sure I'll see this one too.

Njc------

I had to vote for "American History X" but I really enjoyed "The Illusionist" as well.

Totally different films of course. History X will always be tops, especially with time doing it's thing. The film has aged like fine wine, which is the true mark of excellence.

"Primal Fear" was an average film but for the huge blindsiding red herring of Norton's character, and one of the real reasons it worked so well is because we hadn't really seen him in anything before. He was a fresh face so we as an audience took that at face value and it worked like a charm. Pretty incredible performance.

I am also a fan of Norton's directorial debut, "Keeping the Faith". Critics and others came down on the film for being overly long and self indulgent. I thought it was charming.

Trudell

I am also a fan of Norton's directorial debut, "Keeping the Faith". Critics and others came down on the film for being overly long and self indulgent. I thought it was charming.

I love that movie.

I didn't put it on the poll cause its a bit of an ensemble cast piece, not an all around Norton ride.

*I coulda sworn Brett Ratner directed that film.

-TL

I agree if Norton is in it im watching it hands down..he's one of those actors who I trust to put out something really good...As for favorite performances I'm having a real hard time deciding between Fight Club and American History X...I'll have to go with American History X because that character is so outside of who Edward Norton is in real life, at least from what i've seen.

Had to be American History X for me.

That movie, that performance, blew my mind.

Fight Club is cool and all, but it created more young, dumb, and full of c*m Brad Pitt worshippers than anything (also a few enlightened Pitt fans).

Don't get me wrong, I loved it. Fincher, Norton, Pitt, fucking Meat Loaf, the Dust Bros . . . Testosterone, art, and psychological mind-fuck combine for a real original film.

But I still can't place it above AHX.

Primal Fear - Norton owned it.

Death to Smoochy - Funny shit.

Red Dragon - Ultimately disappointing for me, probably because my hopes were so incredibly high.

Fiennes = Awesome.

25th Hour - Pretty solid.

Down in The Valley - Haven't seen it.

The Illusionist - I agree with Trudell, I loved this film. Love the way it was shot, love the lighting, Norton sells it thoroughly.

Haven't seen the other two.

I also loved Keeping the Faith. Need to watch that again.

One film I also loved which ain't on the list - Rounders.

Looking forward to Pride And Glory. I've been on the Farrell hate bandwagon for a while, then I saw In Bruges (also liked him in The New World).

Farrell in In Bruges has salvaged this actor in my eyes in a huge way. And by the way . . . Brendan Gleason ROCKS!

- TB

It's gonna be interesting to see how he and Collin Farrel interact in this movie...Farrel's been in some bad films lately but he's definitely a good actor, I think it's gonna be pretty cool to see these two go toe to toe.

Fight Club is cool and all, but it created more young, dumb, and full of c*m Brad Pitt worshippers than anything (also a few enlightened Pitt fans).

My sentiments ENTIRELY.

The direction Pitt's career went in after Fight Club REALLY turned me off.

*Still no word from you on Norton's Hulk movie.

What's up?

-TL

Looking forward to Pride And Glory. I've been on the Farrell hate bandwagon for a while, then I saw In Bruges (also liked him in The New World).

Tigerland? Intermission? Home at the end of the World? Farrell has been great in some really good films that most people have never seen. He also makes some Hollywood trash from time to time.

And by the way . . . Brendan Gleason ROCKS!

We've always known Gleeson rocks... it just took the rest of the world longer to find out! Who else could have turned Lake Placid into a remotely entertaining movie!!! And it's a sin he didn't get at least an Oscar nomination for Boorman's The General. Who else could have turned an evil bastard like Martin Cahill into a charismatic anti hero, while still portraying him as a completely evil bastard!

But to be fair, I'm just a biased Irishman :P

Tigerland? Intermission? Home at the end of the World? Farrell has been great in some really good films that most people have never seen. He also makes some Hollywood trash from time to time.

We've always known Gleeson rocks... it just took the rest of the world longer to find out! Who else could have turned Lake Placid into a remotely entertaining movie!!! And it's a sin he didn't get at least an Oscar nomination for Boorman's The General. Who else could have turned an evil bastard like Martin Cahill into a charismatic anti hero, while still portraying him as a completely evil bastard!

But to be fair, I'm just a biased Irishman :P

I watched Tigerland out of the gates as it came to me on a good recommendation. I thought Farrell was very good and deserving of the praise he was receiving.

He did some good work soon after but it's when he became the "hot actor" and the hype machine promoted needlessly and endlessly that I fell screaming from the bandwagon. Films like Alexander didn't help the cause. This kind of thing happens when young actors get the opportunity to make some hay early in their career.

I got way tired of the badboy stories and roles where he looked like he was just going through the motions. Since The New World he seems like he's got a handle on himself and lately his potential has been shining through. Guys like Terry Malick have a way of bringing out the best. I'm glad I've been able to come back around on him since I did really enjoy his earlier work. After In Bruges I'm sold on him again. I don't profess to know the guy or have any magic knowledge or forethought where his life is concerned. All I know is how an actor effects me as a viewer, and I'm happy to say he's fallen back into the "exciting to watch" category with me ;)

Lake Placid was Awesome Silliness and Gleason was a sheer delight.

Boorman's The General was a masterpiece in my eyes and I agree with you completely on the Academy snubbing.

Ask anyone who knows me, I have been talking up Gleason to the point of ridiculousness since he leapt into our lives in Braveheart ;)

What did you think of The Tiger's Tail?

I haven't seen it yet but as both Boorman and Gleason are treasured talents in my book so I'm very curious to see.

Only recently found out about it.

- TB

• 2 weeks later...