The Kill Point

Guest FADoss

Guest FADoss

Love Donnie Walburg and John Leguizamo. So when I saw a TV series featuring both on sale at Walmart I added it to the queue. It's about a team of Iraq war veterans who rob a bank. They are led by their Sergeant, John Leguizamo, or Mr. Wolf, as he is called in the show. Donnie Walburg plays the hostage negotiator.

I didn't get through one episode. It COMPLETELY embodies cliche. They obviously know NOTHING about the military yet try to write it about military folks. It has it all in the overdone department. And Mr. Wolf's team starts doing stupid shit (for trained soldiers...which they make a big deal out of) within 30 minutes of the situation going down (like trying to fuck one of the hostages).

It's a show filled with bad choices that trained people would only make in a cliched TV drama.

Total waste of time. You've been warned.

Fred

To be fair, if you have not even watched an entire episode, it's a little harsh to just write off the whole series.

Maybe it's a grower? I remember I wasn't overly impressed with the first episode of Boomtown, but it turned out to be quite a good show... until they cancelled it.

And lets be honest, what movie was ever 100% accurate? If I can sit through countless Hollywood actors mangling the 'Oirish' accent for 90+ minutes, surely you can look past a few military inconsistencies.... besides, if they were such good soldiers, they probably wouldn't need to rob a bank in the first place :-P

Guest FADoss
To be fair, if you have not even watched an entire episode, it's a little harsh to just write off the whole series.

Maybe it's a grower? I remember I wasn't overly impressed with the first episode of Boomtown, but it turned out to be quite a good show... until they cancelled it.

And lets be honest, what movie was ever 100% accurate? If I can sit through countless Hollywood actors mangling the 'Oirish' accent for 90+ minutes, surely you can look past a few military inconsistencies.... besides, if they were such good soldiers, they probably wouldn't need to rob a bank in the first place :-P

I watched all but the last 10 minutes of the first episode. And BY ALL MEANS, watch it if you think I'm being overly harsh. There have only been THREE things in my life I have turned off without finishing and this is one of them. That's THREE things in my entire history of film watching. This was that pointless.

Let me take a bit more time to describe a few things:

1.) The whole lighting and tone for the story just seems OFF from the get go. It's high quality, but it's too crisp. Hard to describe.

2.) The FIRST thing which I was able to look past was that as the machine gun toting band of desperados is leaving the bank, an female FBI agent who happened to be a part of the receiving end of the hold up decides to run outside with her GLOCK and take on guys with automatic weapons in a crowded street. DUMB, but...I can move past this.

3.) A lot of the dialogue and actions just seemed forced.

4.) Donnie Walburg's asshole boss shows up and makes the call to send in SWAT in direct contradiction to Walburg's wishes. Guess what? It fails miserably. Good thing we haven't seen the asshole boss in almost every one of these cliche cop stories. How original.

5.) Guess why they thought they could get in! Because one of the hardened soldiers who has taken the bank invites a young girl hostage into the back room for a potential romp. He lays his automatic weapon on the table and turns his back on her. Need I remind you that they are in an intense hostage situation that none of them planned on, they have made a death pact and the story wants you to believe these are BAD HOMBRES. But somehow this guy shirks his responsibility to the team, ignores his own safety, acts completely counter to any training he received and chases skirt.

6.) There is a female in charge of the SWAT team and she has a military background. If you guessed LESBIAN, you win the cash on this weeks CLICHE OR DIE game show. They establish this in the first minute of meeting her character.

7.) Leguizamo makes a heart-warming speech to the crowd about how he's not leaving until every soldier in Iraq has a FLAK VEST?!!! We haven't used flak vests in years. It's Armor!!! Also, the only problem I recall having with armor was not having enough DESERT color. I EVEN HAD ARMOR OVER THERE AND I BARELY WENT OUTSIDE THE WIRE. There is no shortage of ARMOR. Sadly, a huge shortage on flak vests though... :(

8.) EVERYTHING just seemed predictable as fuck.

Again, please go and watch it if you so choose.

Fred

Fred

Donnie has a loooong list of bad career choices.

Mark, being the better looking, tougher Wahlberg, was able to get instant recognition and more respectable work despite his music background.

I think Mark is gonna redefine urban thrillers. Or better yet revive them.

If Scorsese takes another crack at him, its Oscar time.

-TL

Yeah well, best of luck to MW on that potential oscar nom.

He'll need all the luck he can get after "The Happening".

YIKES!

Trudell

I gotta agree with you there at Mark's expense.

The movie itself was one big sinking boat that drowned everyone in it.

I know it was more of a financial decision for Mark than it was a decision of choice, he just signed a big fat contract with FOX that continues this month with MAX PAYNE.

The way I see it, as long we get a movie like The Yards for every time Mark takes a money job - I'm happy.

MAX PAYNE looks very promising so hopefully it'll erase Shyamalan's horror from people's minds.

-TL

Well, he does have the one two punch of Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones and Aronofsky's The Fighter coming up. Both should wash away the bad taste of The Happening and possibly Max Payne (there's no real knowing with this one until it comes out).

And Dreamcatcher. I can't see Mark pulling that off.

Mark wouldn't take a role that small.

Its funny you bring up Dreamcatcher, cause it features two of Hollywood's "lesser brother actors".

Damian Lewis and Donnie Wahlberg.

All they needed was Frank Stallone and Jim Belushi for the movie to spontaneously combust.

-TL

Mark wouldn't take a role that small.

Its funny you bring up Dreamcatcher, cause it features two of Hollywood's "lesser brother actors".

Damian Lewis and Donnie Wahlberg.

All they needed was Frank Stallone and Jim Belushi for the movie to spontaneously combust.

-TL

Yeah, he wouldn't he'd rather get top billing in such cinematic masterpieces as Planet of the Apes, Shooter, The Truth About Charlie, We Own the Night, The Happening.

Also, Damian Lewis is a pretty great actor, but who's he related to?

Yeah, he wouldn't he'd rather get top billing in such cinematic masterpieces as Planet of the Apes, Shooter, The Truth About Charlie, We Own the Night.

Hey, at least those films got wide theatrical releases and weren't Spike TV specials or Straight to Video crapolas.

-TL

That's almost like saying "That's shit, but at least it's brown shit."

The theatrical release just makes the pile bigger.

I love Damien Lewis.

Trudell

I didn't mind Shooter so much. But PotA and TTAC were gastronomical ;) stink bombs.

I would love to name a few other MW vehicles which made my stomach lurch but there really isn't any point to it.

When Mark is good, he's pretty good. In my eyes those are few and far between. I still like Don better.

My dad convinced me to watch Band Of Brothers and I'm glad he did. Don was real good in that. I thought he was startlingly effective in Sixth Sense (albeit briefly).

He did very well in Dreamcatcher (another small role), and I thought he was major good in Boomtown.

Like to see more of him on the silver screen. Thomas says good things about him, maybe he'll show up in a Raw film someday.

Wasn't aware that Damian Lewis had an acting brother.

His younger brother Gareth is a director.

Trudell