300: PART II

origin1950

Its only natural that 300 would get a follow up.

I personally would have preferred a prequel, so Leonidas could once more be the star.

There are many battles referenced in the film that took place before his stand against Xerxes.

Anyway, this one takes place between The Battle of Thermopylae and The Battle of Plataea - the battle that Dillios [the narrator] (David Wenham) is at the end of 300.

There's a year in between the two battles, so alot can go down.

I like Wenham and I really wanna see Rodrigo Santoro reprise his "God King" role.

Hopefully we'll get more mythical creatures, I would love to see The Head Cutter get some blood in this one.

headcutter2bo7.jpg

-TL

I hated 300, I'll for sure skip this.

Well it wasn't OSCAR worthy, but it sure as hell revived the Mythological Epic.

Ulysses, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Clash of The Titans...

This movie took all those elements and perfected them through CGI and Gerard Butler's abs.

I was stoked to hear Louis Leterrier reference 300 as "The reason" he accepted the Clash of The Titans remake.

*I think you gotta be a fan of the genre to really enjoy 300.

Spartacus and The Vikings were some of my favorite films as a kid, so I've always been drawn to these kinds of films.

TROY was a big failure in my eyes. Petersen fucked up Benioff's script by casting that film like a fashion show.

Maybe its cause I'm Greek.

-TL

I'm not saying it was shit, just Snyder did the best with the material he was basing it off of. And it turned out good, and I'm glad Snyder did it too, because it's probably a big reason why he was able to Watchmen and word is he nailed it.

How come?

Was it the film or you just don't like the genre?

Cause I KNOW you loved our guy Russell's GLADIATOR...

-TL

Spot on with Gladiator. Cept I didn't like it the 1st time I saw it, as with Braveheart it took a second viewing for me to really enjoy them. Now I love them both.

Some of it was that I like movies to look like movies and comic books to look like comic books. Mostly it was all the slow mo and pausing in the fighting scenes, it drove me absolutely daft. Visually there was some fun stuff to the movie but overall it just didn't work for me. I did like Miller's 300 book, but I just felt that the fighting and battle scenes would have worked better at a break neck speed.

And I hate to admit it but I'm an old bastard and I'm very fond of 1962's "The 300 Spartans" with Richard Egan as Leonidas. I new exactly what to expect with Miller's 300, that it was a comic book retelling of the event...To much knowledge I guess, it would be like if Miller did a movie about Gettysburg, I'd scratch my head and say WTF?...but mostly it was that god damned slo mo...yeesh.

Well it wasn't OSCAR worthy, but it sure as hell revived the Mythological Epic.

Ulysses, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Clash of The Titans...

This movie took all those elements and perfected them through CGI and Gerard Butler's abs.

I was stoked to hear Louis Leterrier reference 300 as "The reason" he accepted the Clash of The Titans remake.

*I think you gotta be a fan of the genre to really enjoy 300.

Spartacus and The Vikings were some of my favorite films as a kid, so I've always been drawn to these kinds of films.

TROY was a big failure in my eyes. Petersen fucked up Benioff's script by casting that film like a fashion show.

Maybe its cause I'm Greek.

-TL

You are right TL, the success of 300 did give a giant boost to the genre, and for that I am grateful. I to loved Spatacus, The Vikings ( even with, and maybe because? Tony Curtis couldn't lose that Boston accent.) and it'll be great to see more mythological movies because of it.

God, TROY was bad, really bad, thankfully it didn't sink the sword and sandal genre...

The Kirk Douglas/Tony Curtis "I kill you, you kill me" dynamic was fuckin great.

Those actors weren't actors to me when I was a kid, they were like Gods.

Honestly, I didn't love The 300 Spartans as much as I did Quo Vadis?, The Robe and Demetrius and The Gladiators.

I felt it was missin something (carnage) and I know that something was money.

Richard Burton cost a pretty penny back in those days, and I don't think The Great Victor Mature worked for cheap.

The best of that genre to me will always be Chuck Heston's BEN-HUR.

THAT was fuckin EPIC.

I think Snyder's got the skill to pull off a BEN-HUR if he's willing to sacrifice extreme action and slow motion shots.

*My favorite scene in 300 wasn't one of the ultra slow ones ---> Leonidas' isolated battle with the Immortal giant.

It coulda been a bit faster, but I enjoyed it because I honestly saw great fear in Butler's eyes during the fight.

That was what made Barabbas another good epic.

Anthony Quinn was VERY realistic during the emotional shit.

I think Crowe was able to revive the genre by being both subtle and vicious at the same time.

Butler was all around vicious. Even with his wife.

GLADIATOR was the first film I saw in a theatre where both old and young folks CHEERED during the film.

"Strength and honor."

That movie transported you to a time that was simply Mythical.

Every movie done ever since, has tried to match it but failed miserably.

-TL

Archived