ROBIN HOOD - RUSSELL CROWE

Yep, May 14.

I didn't like Robin and Marion, but I need to clarify that. My mom and Uncle took me to see it, when I was about 5, and told me it was a Robin Hood movie to get me to go. At that Time, I thought Robin Hood was a Fox. I remember being unruly enough that they let me go hang out and play just outside the theater doors. I need to see it again to give it a fair shake.

Yep, May 14.

I didn't like Robin and Marion, but I need to clarify that. My mom and Uncle took me to see it, when I was about 5, and told me it was a Robin Hood movie to get me to go. At that Time, I thought Robin Hood was a Fox. I remember being unruly enough that they let me go hang out and play just outside the theater doors. I need to see it again to give it a fair shake.

Uh . . . Yeah. You do ;)

- TB

PS - The 14th, CHECK. Thank ye kindly. Next Sunday night late show. I am in line ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I saw it yesterday. I think I was well prepared. No classic Robin Hood, but an origin story, more gritty and realistic etc. and I wasn't disappointed...

Overall, great direction by Ridley Scott. The sets, the costumes, the props etc. are pretty much spot on. Good cinematography and nice music also create a successful atmosphere of medieval England.

The cast fits and all actors do a good job. Max von Sydow is great. William Hurt is a bit underused here like a couple of other figures, but that might change with the Extended Cut on DVD (17 more minutes according to the Joblo interview!).

The first act is very well done. You can dive into that world right away, the characters and conflicts are properly introduced. The plot is pretty complex, on the other hand a bit predictable in terms of the

impendig french invasion

. I don't have one huge problem with the story, but there are a couple of small things, especially in the second and third act, that prevent a top rating.

The scenes with Little John, Will Scarlet, Allan A'Dayle and Friar Tuck are entertaining and I like the relationship between Robin and Marian. Other elements of the plot and certain characters feel a bit isolated and underdeveloped though, at least in this theatrical version. The final battle is too short and undramatic for me. In some of the action scenes, the editing could be better, it's too fast in places, probably inhibited by the PG-13 rating. So I'm hoping for improvements there too for the DVD.

7.5 out of 10 lambs, who become lions :)

• 3 weeks later...
My favorite is Robin and Marion with Connery, Audrey Hepburn, and Nicol Williamson as Little John ;)

- TB

I revisited ROBIN AND MARIAN while I was visiting my folks recently. Hadn't seen it in years. Really enjoyed it. Amazing cast. In addition to who Tim mentioned, you have Robert Shaw, Denholm Elliott and Ian Holm. Wow.

I've really been enjoying some ROBIN HOOD for the past month or so. The Disney animated version is up next.

Very disappointed in the new Robin Hood and "realistic" is definitely not something I would use to describe it. So many plot conveniences and it seemed more like Braveheart than Robin Hood. I kind of liked the film, but wish it would have been called something else. Would have enjoyed it a bit more.