Appaloosa

Guest AdminGuyX

And when the fuck did James Gammon become an old, old man?

Good God. He must have had some serious health issues since we've seen him last.

Or he's HAVING serious health issues.

Seems like he went from 55 to 85 overnight.

He's actually only 68 but he looks like a man in his 80's.

Spindly fingers too, he looked like a stick man.

He's been acting fairly non-stop and has 3 movies in post so whatever it is that has emaciated him hasn't kept him from working too much.

I really love that guy. Hope he stays with us for a long time.

Gammon as we've known him.

Gammon.jpg

- TB

I noticed, Tim, that you didn't mention Renee Zellweger. What did you think of her in the film? She was the weekest part to me. I don't think she "clicked" in this character. I felt the same way about her in Cinderella Man.

The friend I saw this with HATES Renee and would cringe each time she delivered a classic Renee moment.

I liked her in the opening scene she's in but she grew "off" me as the film progressed.

I don't think her character was explored enough for it to be as effective as it could have been in the film.

Her motivations seemed obvious as the film progressed but that was all through the lens of what male perceptions were.

I agree, I don't think she clicked, but I also think it wasn't entirely her fault (if fault there is).

I'd love to understand why Harris made some of the decisions he made.

Pollack is lock-stock tight. Appaloosa, not so much.

That's the main issue I have. Appaloosa wanders a bit and it threw me off the scent.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I forgot to mention Gammon looking like he's gotten sick. It certainly was jarring for me too, and when he was on screen, I found myself wincing.

He's one of my favorite parts of Silverado. That heavy gravelled voice. "Mister, you brought a posse to my BEST hideout, and you ask me if I mind? You're about to die."

Sorry it didn't jive for you Tim. I have to admit I don't even remember the score.

Diane Lane was supposed to play Ally French, and I'd of preffered Lane. It would have been harder to hate her as the film went along.

What grabbed me about the second and third acts was that Bragg ceased to be the villian.

Ally became the villian in every way that was important. When Everett was waiting for her in the hallway, I thought he was going to shoot her dead right there. Mind you, he knew better, he knew he had to kill Bragg. But I agree, Bragg's terrible murders at the beginning of the film have no real impact on the events of the third act

Not enough people making these kinds of westerns anymore.

Like I said, wasn't a perfect film, but I loved it.

;)

I'm right with you Noeland.

I think I got caught breaking my own rule.

Normally I try and walk into a film with no expectations.

This time there was nothing I could do. Expectations were set at peak level ;)

What I really appreciate is that someone DID make a western like this.

I'm overjoyed that Appaloosa is making some dough and throwing some heavyweight character/leading actors around.

We don't get these too often so I'm also trying to embrace the film for what it was.

You spoke in your spoiler tag about Hitch sitting in the hotel waiting for French.

That scene was confusing to me. I wasn't sure what the fuck was going on.

Now that you say what you said it confirms one of my theories, my favorite one.

If only he'd have gone through with it!

I agree that Diane Lane would have been much better casting for that particular character.

Acting aside, sometimes it comes down to other qualities, the intangibles, and Lane has those required intangibles in spades where this character is concerned.

My favorite James Gammon line from Silverado -

"I think there's only a coupla guys up there and THIS asshole is one of 'em!"

Remember Gammon in Revenge?

He looked like he was on death's doorstep back then but it was just the character and the wonderful acting.

Blood pressure shot, gastrointestinal system a rotting mess, years of bad livin', and he wore it all on his face, in his eyes, and with his broken down physical performance.

That kind of work is easy to completely overlook, yet it's one of the things Gammon has always brought to his roles.

It's why he's the A list character actor that he is.

My favorite Gammon film is Wild Bill, as California Joe. He's so awesome in that.

Can't find any shots of Gammon from the film but here's a cool one -

Walter Hill directs Jeff Bridges.

wildbill.jpg

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX
Remember Gammon in Revenge?

YES. I love that flick. Costner's heyday, Tony Scott on his first run as a big time director. When I saw it as a younger man, I didn't fully appreciate it because it didn't have enough action in it for me. I liked it though, just wasn't a favorite for me when I was 15.

I could still appreciate how well made it was, and I loved the Gammon role, that scene in the car stuck with me for years.

After I watched it again, then got it on VHS, I really fell in love with it. And incidentally I know a fellow who claims to be one of Anthony Quinn's illegitimate kids. :)

Also, incidentally, I used to do videography for the Improv in Tampa, and the fellow who ran the Improv at the time had worked on Nash Bridges as a reccuring character. He and I chatted about Gammon once, and Gary spoke very highly of him.

My favorite Gammon film is Wild Bill, as California Joe.

Wild Bill is a singular kind of stylistic western we don't get a whole lot of either. Again, a flick I really love. I'm just going to have to watch that again soon. Damn.

I agree that Diane Lane would have been much better casting for that particular character.

Acting aside, sometimes it comes down to other qualities, the intangibles, and Lane has those required intangibles in spades where this character is concerned.

Well, I fell pretty hard for lane after seeing Streets of Fire, and then once I saw Big Town, I was pretty much bought and paid for. I think she has aged well, and is maybe even sexier now days, and has only improved as an actress. I'll watch anything she does. I even saw Jumper.

You spoke in your spoiler tag about Hitch sitting in the hotel waiting for French.

Yeah, I really want to see the film again so I can zero in on the look on his face in the hallway.

But, as he was watching her playing the piano previous to that scene, obviously he knew what was happening. I'm not sure he wasn't intending to just kill them both and then leave. I really enjoyed the camera work in those scenes. Especially when he was watching her play piano, but the shot of him in the hallway, just sitting there, I actually stopped breathing. Having not read the book, for all I knew he was going to cut her half with his mighty 8 gauge, then go empty his revolver into Bragg.

The second act seemed bogged down, and the third act and resolution was anticlimactic for me.

I think it was intentionally anti-climactic. I have no idea how the book ended, but the scene hardly even feels like an ending. Maybe that's because they want to adapt the next book, and they felt like leaving folks wanting more, I don't know.

I wouldn't have minded a bit more of a confrontation, a bit more tension. But still:

When Viggo calls Bragg out, that was a pretty powerful scene for me. Watching a character go from being "backup" to Virgil, to coming into his own like he was, I loved it. And my understanding is, Viggo studied up on the proper way to stand, and fast draw in a fight, and he got to be very fast.

We don't get these too often so I'm also trying to embrace the film for what it was.

I know, but we can't love them all, and this is definately a flawed film. :)

Maybe you're right, maybe it will grow on you.

I HOPE HOPE HOPE that Ed Harris adapts the next novel, and gives us a sequel as co/writer and director. I have a feeling it won't happen though.

Yeah, this movie is going to struggle just to get back it's budget. Last I looked it was at 15 mill and had an original budget of 25mil. It was down to 14th on the box office so it will probably be gone in a week or two. So unless it does great dvd business the sequel won't happen. Too bad. I loved this flick, but I will agree that it may have stuck too close to the book and for somebody who has never read the book? Well it probably did have pacing issues.

The 1st 2 books both have open endings and it was always meant to be a trilogy.

In book 2 Allie leaves Virgil for some young stud who is supposed to be a rich rancher, turns out he is a fake. Virgil hunts him down and kills him but Allie has already been dumped somewhere in Texas. So Hitch's killing of Bragg was really in vain. Virgil does exactly what Hitch feared...breaks his own rule and kills somebody UNLAWFULLY...

I can't wait for book 3 to come out and tie this all up!!!