Chow to Direct and Star in Green Hornet

Stephen Chow will no longer be directing Columbia Pictures’ big screen adaptation of The Green Hornet after all. Apparently he has stepped down due to “creative differences”. It’s likely that Chow butted heads with the studio or producers/screenwriters Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Chow is still attached to play the Hornet’s sidekick Kato.

The studio is on the search for a new director and still plans to begin production by Spring for the announced June 25th 2010 release date. Variety says that a new director could be attached by year’s end (which is just a couple weeks away).

I actually think this is a bit of good news for the project. While I’ve certainly enjoyed Chow’s films, I am not interested in his take on this superhero franchise. I have never believed that Chow’s over-the-top style comedy would be a good fit for this project. What do you guys think?

The crime-fighting character was created by Fran Striker and George Trendle, who also created The Lone Ranger, for a radio serial that launched in 1936 on WXYZ Detriot. The series detailed the adventures of millionaire publisher Britt Reid, a debonair newspaper publisher by day, crime-fighting masked hero at night, along with his sidekick, Kato. The series has had several incarnations, including a film series, comic books, and a live-action 1960’s TV series that starred Van Williams and introduced Bruce Lee to U.S. audiences.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/18/stephe...e-green-hornet/

Late last week, it was announced that Stephen Chow had dropped out as director of Columbia Pictures' The Green Hornet but that he would still play Kato in the comic book adaptation.

Now, however, that is still up in the air as well as Chow tells The Associated Press that he may not have time to star as Kato, the character made famous by Bruce Lee.

Chow, whose credits include Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, said over the weekend that he wants to free up time to work with Jack Black on a comedy about a superhero.

"If I direct 'The Green Hornet,' the superhero comedy will have to be delayed for two years," Chow said. "The timing might not be right for a superhero comedy in two years. And I want to make a movie based on an original idea."

Chow said whether he stays on to play Kato in The Green Hornet depends on his schedule.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51504

• 2 months later...
According to a single sentence that immediately made several film fans wet their seat, Production Weekly’s Twitter feed upped the news ante with this:

"Michel Gondry to direct Seth Rogen in “Green Hornet.”

And that’s it. A single sentence. And yet, Production Weekly is almost never wrong about things, and Variety now has a story up about it.

It doesn’t appear to simply be a rumor, but it’s certainly an interesting development. Gondry is a genius, and taking on a movie like this could be a fantastic career move for him - bringing him more into the mainstream, but it feels like he’d have to tone down that genius just a bit in order to bring something like this to life while bringing in the kind of box office numbers the studio would hope for.

I don’t know - part of me doesn’t think there’s enough room to run in a story like this for Gondry. Part of me really wishes that he was directing The Green Lantern instead. If he, you know, absolutely has to go green. There’s a lot more to that story that lives in the fantastical realm.

Source: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/holy...reen-hornet.php

Michel Gondry is in negotiations to direct "The Green Hornet," Columbia's big-screen treatment of the classic crime-fighting hero being portrayed by Seth Rogen.

Stephen Chow had been tapped to direct but dropped out over creative differences. He is still expected to co-star as Kato, the Hornet's trusty sidekick and chauffeur.

Since Chow's departure, the project has been the subject of speculation that it was sliding into development hell, but the studio is intent on making the feature one of its 2010 tentpoles.

The choice of Gondry, the helmer behind off-the-beaten-path films such as "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "The Science of Sleep" and "Be Kind Rewind," signals that the creative direction the studio and the film's producer, Neal Moritz, are trying to take the project is one not usually associated with the usual crime-fighter movie.

"Hornet" follows the adventures of Britt Reid, a bored playboy who inherits his father's crusading newspaper, the Daily Sentinel. By night he is a masked hero, fighting crime with his sidekick Kato, who has incredible martial arts skills.

Rogen and his writer partner Evan Goldberg joined the project in July 20, 2007, as writers and co-exec producers.

Gondry is repped by CAA.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...ad355ddbf4e7515