Guy Ritchie's - Sherlock Holmes

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Watson is revealed, and he looks alot like Jude Law...

judelawgc1.png

I have a feeling this film is gonna be fuckin great.

And part of that feeling thinks it might be Downey's definitive role.

The guy hasn't been Nominated for an Oscar in almost 20 years, maybe this is his ticket back.

-TL

Looks like the first costume we saw Downey Jr in may have been a vagabond-type disguise.

Here he's sporting a much classier look which seems befitting of the titular detective.

Dig the hair too.

Law looks great with the mustache, Dr. Watson indeed!

Bring me my cravat, walking stick, and spectacles!

Forsooth, 'tis looking like murder most foul.

- TB

I quite agree Sir!

Anyone ever catch that old HBO telecast of Sherlock Holmes, aka Sherlock Holmes: The Strange Case of Alice Faulkner?

Frank Langella played Holmes. It was a filming of a stage production and it was awesome.

Langella made a great Holmes.

IMDB link - Sherlock Holmes

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Yup, I saw it, and I agree. It was awesome. They still run it every now and again.

Been seeing shots of these guys all over the web today too, and I have to admit I am officially looking forward to this now.

The Hound of The Baskervilles will always be one of my favorites as it is one of the first novels I ever read. Maybe THE first.

Njc-------------

I quite agree Sir!

Anyone ever catch that old HBO telecast of Sherlock Holmes, aka Sherlock Holmes: The Strange Case of Alice Faulkner?

Frank Langella played Holmes. It was a filming of a stage production and it was awesome.

Langella made a great Holmes.

IMDB link - Sherlock Holmes

- TB

Saw that a loooong time ago on A&E. Back when it acturlly was Arts & Entertainment. I think I even made a video copy of it. I'll have to dig around and look for that. After watching this, I thought Frank Langella was the perfect Sherlock. But then, he was the perfect Dracula, so I don't know. I guess he's just perfect.

k-skye

Personally, I think Law's acting is weak. I've only liked him in 2 films. Gattaca and Road To Predition. That's it. He's not that big of deal to me, especially if you compare him to Michael Caine, Law's not even in the same country as Caine, Hell it's not even the same planet. Farrell was my choice. That is all.

JO

Farrell is completely wrong for Watson.

-TL

No, Michael Dudikoff is completely wrong for Watson.

Farrell or Law, either one would be great.

I wasn't as hot for Law on this 'cause I had my mind fixated on Farrell who impressed me greatly with In Bruges.

But once I saw Law in character (as Mike would say, "rockin the 'stache") it got real good to me. I think TL may have had a similar experience (excluding the Farrell part).

Two words TL, In Bruges.

;)

Not sure that I can agree with Law's acting being weak either, but to each his own.

- TB

I feel Farrell's physicality is completely wrong for Watson.

And his personality is also way off base.

In Bruges was a great film, I enjoyed Gleason and Fiennes the most, but it doesn't provide any evidence that Farrell would be suitable for Watson.

Law seems a more refined choice.

"A sharper image" ;)

-TL

Personally, I think Law's acting is weak. I've only liked him in 2 films. Gattaca and Road To Predition. That's it. He's not that big of deal to me, especially if you compare him to Michael Caine, Law's not even in the same country as Caine, Hell it's not even the same planet. Farrell was my choice. That is all.

JO

Interesting that you should say that, because a couple of years ago I caught part of Alfie on the tube and I didn't even recognize Caine at first, he was so young then. But he kept reminding me of someone and then I realized, his eyes where exactly like Jude Law's. The resemblence in the eyes was amazing.

I won't try to judge if Law is as good of an actor, but he does have a similar look and can certainly play the mellow, measured, thoughtful Englishman that we have seen Caine portray.

Coling Farrell is too, how can I say this, feral for the part of Watson.

JMHO

-k-skye

I really don't know, this movie is suppose to be more action oriented. In that case I think Watson could have worked with Farrell and his scruffiness.

Law is good though, no complaints.

• 1 month later...
When Cinematical visited the set of Sherlock Holmes last month, we certainly wanted to learn a lot more about this much-anticipated film (which we did), but we also wanted to find out once and for all whether the classic Holmes villain Moriarty would make an appearance. Up until this point, Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong) was the only villain on record, and so far folks behind the scenes have managed to successfully dodge the big Moriarty question. That is, until now.

Continue reading (note: the article contains spoilers):

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/12/02/sher...ain-s-revealed/

Wow. I missed this one due to...an absence.

First, bastardizing Tarantino? Are you kidding me? I have loved EVERYTHING that Ritchie has done and did not find ANY of it very Tarantino at all. He has a lightness about his flicks that QT does not and everything about the visual elements is OFF. PLUS, Ritchie is better at sticking to linear storytelling. This is coming from a HUGE Tarantino fan too. Other than both doing films with crime in them...I really don't see the similarities.

Second, MARK STRONG was fantastic in "Sunshine". Loved him in "Revolver" as well.

And I'm also more in favor of Law than Farrell for most of the same reasons that TL chimed in.

And I think Downey's defining role will be the film he's doing with Jamie Fox.

Fred

• 2 months later...
USA Today has published this new photo of Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Rachel McAdams in Warner Bros. Pictures' Sherlock Holmes, hitting theaters on November 13. Guy Ritchie's mystery action adventure co-stars Mark Strong, Kelly Reilly and Eddie Marsan.

In a dynamic new portrayal of Arthur Conan Doyle's most famous characters, Sherlock Holmes sends Holmes (Downey Jr.) and his stalwart partner Watson (Law) on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52543

• 2 weeks later...
Warner Brothers issued a statement today to refute rumors that claimed the studio had asked Guy Ritchie to reshoot parts of its upcoming Sherlock Holmes project starring Iron Man's Robert Downey Jr.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio was forced to issue its statement after a flurry of U.K. media coverage spawned by an article in the tabloid newspaper The Sun that stated that Ritchie had to recall cast members for reshoots.

Per the statement, "It is not true that Warner Bros. has asked for any reshoots on Sherlock Holmes. The inserts and pickup shots being completed next week, which have long been part of the schedule, do not involve any cast, and are a standard part of filmmaking."

The movie, which recently completed shooting, stars Downey as the British sleuth and Jude Law as his trusted sidekick, Dr. Watson. The film is currenty slated for release on Nov. 20, 2009.

Source: http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/warner-bros-d...olmes-shoot.php

• 2 months later...