Guy Ritchie's - Sherlock Holmes

Looks like Guy Ritchie, the hip director behind such hits as Snatch, and Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels is about to step into a different arena. Currently Ritchie is in preproduction on an adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, with Robert Downey Jr in the titular role. The rumor mill has it that the production is currently in talks with Russell Crowe to portray Holmes' arch-nemesis, Professor Moriarty, and Colin Farrell to portray Holmes' friend, sidekick, and biographer, Dr. John H. Watson.

However, Professor Moriarty is said not to be the main villain of this new adaptation. That honor it seems will go to actor Mark Strong (Sunshine, Rocknrolla) as a character named Lord Blackwood

Sherlock Holmes, the famous fictional detective is the creation of Scottish-born author and physician Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

By all accounts this is to be an updating of the classic material. I've come across nothing yet to suggest that this film will be based on any specific Holmes tale.

And that's fine with me. I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes but must admit that the material has been played out countless times (and done very well). It will be interesting to see what Ritchie does with this. So far the rumored cast has me completely intrigued.

Not only that but our own artist compatriot of the first order, David Allcock is hard at work on the storyboards for this new film.

Congratulations Dave!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdminGuyX
Glad to see Guy is venturing into something other than bastarding Tarantino.

OH, I think you might find some argument to this point. Tarantino has yet to do anything but bastardize other films himself. I think it's more a matter of common influences.

Not only that but our own artist compatriot of the first order, David Allcock is hard at work on the storyboards for this new film.

Congratulations Dave!

Holy shit! That's awesome news, and here is to hoping that these storyboards can be shared with us someday after the movie's release.

:) I'd love that.

Glad to see Guy is venturing into something other than bastarding Tarantino.

I see some similarities but Ritchie is really his own creature. Not to jump you Mike, but "Bastardizing Tarantino" is a pretty weak assessment.

I'm sure you believe that and that's fine mate. I have to respectfully disagree.

And yeah, Dave . . I've heard a lot about you. Tim and Tom say you're a gas.

Great to hear you're working with Guy.

We should gather for a drink sometime. I'm in London frequently.

Trudell

I thought Crowe is not even in the running and they are finalizing Jude Law to play Dr. Watson.

Hold up; found the story:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00018443.html

Yep, a lot of the reports were premature.

Jude Law looks like he's in as Watson.

I do like Jude Law but I'm a little disappointed that Colin Farrell is out. After In Bruges I am finally beginning to like Farrell mas mucho.

I was already seeing him as Watson . . . Dammit. Oh Well, can't go wrong with the LAW.

- TB

I see some similarities but Ritchie is really his own creature. Not to jump you Mike, but "Bastardizing Tarantino" is a pretty weak assessment.

I'm sure you believe that and that's fine mate. I have to respectfully disagree.

And yeah, Dave . . I've heard a lot about you. Tim and Tom say you're a gas.

Great to hear you're working with Guy.

We should gather for a drink sometime. I'm in London frequently.

Trudell

yeah its shaping up very well. Obviously i can't really talk about it too much but it's a tougher holmes and theres a lot of action in the script. they're going to be shooting at some amazing london locations and the art department are doing a wonderful job recreating victorian london.

heard a lot about me eh? all good i hope! yeah, i've had some fun times with TJ and Tim...my raw brothers.

I'm up for a drinks gathering, let me know when you're in town.

Dave!!!

What's up? GREAT to hear you're working on this! I met your mate Chris Weston in Aviles, Spain a couple of weeks ago. Seven days of drunken bacchanalia! LOL

Yep, a lot of the reports were premature.

Jude Law looks like he's in as Watson.

I do like Jude Law but I'm a little disappointed that Colin Farrell is out. After In Bruges I am finally beginning to like Farrell mas mucho.

I was already seeing him as Watson . . . Dammit. Oh Well, can't go wrong with the LAW.

- TB

Dave!!!

What's up? GREAT to hear you're working on this! I met your mate Chris Weston in Aviles, Spain a couple of weeks ago. Seven days of drunken bacchanalia! LOL

JJ!

yeah, its a cool gig, really great opportunity. I spoke to chris and he told me all about aviles - sounds like you boys had a whale of a time. I told him we hung out at SDCC 2007 and had an equally debauched time. chris has some photos on his blog including a very funny one of you two. I should try and get over to aviles for next years one, it sounds fantastic.

Oh, trust me I'm THERE provided those wonderful Spaniards invite me!

Victorian look to the streets of London, very cool.

I had read that this was an updating of the material.

Glad to know it may not be an updating of the period, maybe just an updating in terms of kicking the old world stuffiness out of it?

No updating at all? Either way, I like old world stuffiness, and the vernacular is prodigious joy.

And for Downey Jr wrapping his talent around the character, should be as easy as kiss my hand.

I await this film with the upmost anticipation.

Good to see your presence Cristobal Weston!!!!

Thankfully Jusko doesn't wear lip gloss ;)

- TB

[Thankfully Jusko doesn't wear lip gloss ;) ]

You were always complaining....:-)

Oh, trust me I'm THERE provided those wonderful Spaniards invite me!

Victorian look to the streets of London, very cool.

I had read that this was an updating of the material.

Glad to know it may not be an updating of the period, maybe just an updating in terms of kicking the old world stuffiness out of it?

No updating at all? Either way, I like old world stuffiness, and the vernacular is prodigious joy.

And for Downey Jr wrapping his talent around the character, should be as easy as kiss my hand.

I await this film with the upmost anticipation.

Good to see your presence Cristobal Weston!!!! Thankfully Jusko doesn't wear lip gloss ;)

- TB

Rachel McAdams added as the love interest and Mark Strong as the villain:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/09/25/rac...herlock-holmes/

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere he was suppose to have British accent in Tropic Thunder, but he asked if he could have his character be Australian because he can improve better in that accent than the British. But I doubt there will be a lot improvisation on this film.

Did you see Tropic Thunder?

The guy can pretty much do any accent.

-TL

Haven't seen Tropic Thunder yet. And I can't remember seeing him in anything where he had to use an English accent, but I haven't seen all of his work. That's why I asked. But it doesn't surprise me that he can pull it off.