Give 'em Hell Malone

Well I gotta say it wasn't for TBs feedback, my own storytelling cred would be shot! What was I thinking with the Machine Guns??? That flying candle stick??? Shhheeeesssshhh!!!

Russell just left and we locked the edit. It's looking pretty "Malone."

I don't like the other trailer floating around, and it's more than just the "Bad To The Bone." It doesn't reflect the movie at all. Sure, guns shooting and people dying are cool, but ... I suppose it was a good teaser -- this trailer will set the record straight ... and hopefully the Raw Boards won't be disappointed.

Mark

You were thinking the machine guns and a flying candle stick worked for the spot and they did.

But looking deeper there was a better solution. That's why a fella asks for notes right?

'Cause when you are knee deep in a tight deadline you don't have the time to break down EVERYTHING ;)

Glad I could share a tiny bit of the load, though I really did nothing. Hosack IS the one who did everything, ALL the heavy lifting, all the structure . . .

It's easy for a third party to sit back and pick something apart.

And I think what Mark really meant to say is . . . It's looking pretty FUCKING Malone!*

This trailer has balls as big as church bells.

- TB

* Or as Matchstick would say, It's looking pretty fucking "Malonesy!"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This trailer has balls as big as church bells.

Awwww yea. That's Malone for ya. Can't wait to be called to mass!

Been catching up on the posters. They're amazing. The new James Dean poster is quite good, but I was distracted by the shirt as well. I found myself looking at his shirt, not his face, and wondering why it wasn't matching the rest of the space. I also didn't want to spend too much time 'disecting' the poster 'cause that's not what Joe/Jane would do in line at the theatre, debating what they'll see. Of course, there's no debating if I'll see it!

That said, however, I think the White Noir works better for me on a quick read - the iconography is clearer, there's more of it and therefore the 'read' is denser. In a way, White Noir reminds me of the White Stripes DeStijl cover - simple shapes and high contrast. Plus I'm a sucker for that car. For some it's the Mateba, for me it's the car.

Okay everyone, this is about to hit the airwaves ... err ... cyberwaves?

BUT BEFORE YOU VIEW, THIS IS IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ:

We've been working with aintitcoolnews and we've given them the scoop, so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not post this on Youtube, or send out a bunch of emails saying it's here, until you see it hit aintitcoolnews, then please post to your heart's content.

THIS IS FOR RAW MEMBERS' EYES ONLY.

We're good friends with aintitcool and we don't want to ruin their scoop or jeopardize the impact of the release of the trailer, but we also know that you are the real hardcore fans and as RAW members, we wanted to make sure you got the first look in the world at Malone in action.

All of that being said...

MEET MALONE

Mark

OMG, that is bloody awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Aaaaargh, can't wait to see the film!

Thanks so much for sharing it here, very appreciated! B)

Hosack, you fucking OWN this edit.

I'm in love with this.

I've been watching it for 5 days in various permutations and I just can't stop!

This cut is the shit.

- tb

Well that made my day!!!

...have no idea how I am going to get any work done now.

Great lead in to the film and I am confident it's going to draw an audience. I certainly appreciate the first look given to the RAW members.

BEST OF LUCK WITH THE FILM!!!

Mike

Rusty Cage, the song we almost lost . . .

Hopefully at some point Mark will share the whole behind the scenes of cutting this trailer story with us.

Compelling to say the least.

- tb

Rusty Cage, the song we almost lost . . .

Hopefully at some point Mark will share the whole behind the scenes of cutting this trailer story with us.

Compelling to say the least.

- tb

It's a sordid tale. But yes, Cash was in and then out and then in.

I'll give you the story when my brain cloud has lifted.

Tid bit of trivia: The intro speech is one of the few bits that's been completely UNCHANGED since I first wrote the script 6 years ago.

It's a sordid tale. But yes, Cash was in and then out and then in.

I'll give you the story when my brain cloud has lifted.

Tid bit of trivia: The intro speech is one of the few bits that's been completely UNCHANGED since I first wrote the script 6 years ago.

I am just absolutely in LOVE with that Animals song at the end, Boom Boom.

I think the editor Bob Ferretti was the one who pulled that as part of the temp track for the film.

It's so ideal for this world. It's raucous, playful, but has the perfect edge. It's older (like blues inspired), but done in a fresh 60's way that totally fits the bizarre mix of eras represented by the film's overall vibe. I had to buy it on iTunes!

Perfect exit track for the trailer.

Russell wants to get it in the film for true. Smart man.

- TB

Pure cult stuff, everything about it. B)

I'm glad that films like that are still made.

AAAAAaaaa! I'm having KITTENS over this new trailer. The titles, the dialoge, the pacing, Rusty Cage,the meaning of love amidst the violence...and is that the Animals at the end? Im a dummy for early Eric Burdon.

Fabulous job Mark!!

Yeah, awesome line. The new insult for the older generation ;)

It magically showed up in one of the edits the other night after Russell stopped in to hang out over Hosack's shoulder.

When I saw it I thought, THAT'S genius!!!

French!!!

- TB

Yeah, awesome line. The new insult for the older generation ;)

It magically showed up in one of the edits the other night after Russell stopped in to hang out over Hosack's shoulder.

When I saw it I thought, THAT'S genius!!!

French!!!

- TB

French is really great in this film. Russell shot that scene over and over again in a series. On set, it played out like this:

TJ: "Where's Whitmore, Frankie?"

FS: "Suck my Sinatra."

TJ: "WHERE'S WHITMORE, FRANKIE???"

FS: "SUCK MY SINATRA!"

TJ: "Where's Whitmore, Frankie?"

FS: "Suck my Sinatra..."

etc. etc.

BTW- I also like the window on Elsa's character, she's clearly not a pawn but she could be a rook.

So many characters are thrown out that you're compelled to put the pieces together by seeing the movie. Good hook = good trailer.

The server crashed and was down for about 20 minutes after AICN traffic kicked it in the nuts. Mark has it solved now so link should work!

Give 'Em Hell Malone - Cannes Trailer

- TB

PS - It's OK to share the link now, please help us spread the word!!!!

Guest AdminGuyX

WELL, just got home from driving all corners of Akron, shaking hands, smiling at someone when I'd rather punch them, and screaming inside my car because people who work at municipal offices are fucking brain dead half human talking assholes with eyes. Then I got home and promptly hurt my ankle, which, as I type this, is throbbing with white hot pain. I'm waiting for some vicodin to kick in though, so there is happiness on the way.

Tim emailed me about this, and I have to admit, I forgot all about my pain while watching it. It was just one of those moments when I'm frowning and pissed off, and wanting to throw something expensive across the room and rejoice in the destruction of it, and instead I get a big smile on my face like the grinch when his heart grew two sizes once Tom Jane starts killing people. ;)

I absolutely LOVE Malone's opening monologue.

Mark, well done. Just a masterful use of words buddy. "The Higher you stack 'em, the safer you feel."

Fuckin' poetry.

Thanks guys. This really took my shitty day and turned it around.

And really, Ving Rhames last line in the trailer is magic. Like icing on on a big bloody cake.

French Stewart . . . who knew? I really think "suck my Sinatra" is going to catch on.

Now, lets talk about the editing. The use of the muzzle flash closeup was great, especially with the mirror. REALLY NICE. Very clever and effective. I love editing too, and trailer editing is an art form all it's own, with it's own interesting challenges.

OK, the wife brought home some junkfood for me. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.