Give 'em Hell Malone

Does anyone know the release date of "Give 'em Hell Malone"?

Will it be this year?!

Hope it won't be the same story like one with Mutant Chronicles ^^

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no release date for Malone yet.

It's still in post.

Hannibal are looking to sell the film and or distribution rights (Mark would have better insight) at Cannes in May.

Until then I seriously doubt there would be any official word about release dates.

I think Hosack mentioned about the earliest we might see it would be this fall.

- TB

And our poster? :-)

It's still in post.

Hannibal are looking to sell the film and or distribution rights (Mark would have better insight) at Cannes in May.

Until then I seriously doubt there would be any official word about release dates.

- TB

I just love that Malone is Cash and McQueen - what a perfect combo for TJ.

From the interviews I've seen, John Carter seems pretty accessbile and cool. I would so love to hear Steel Cage in the final soundtrack. I really hope that seed can grow.

And you know they did let "The Man Comes Around" play during the open credits of Dawn of the Dead, so you know content isn't gonna be an issue.

It's still in post.

- TB

That's my understanding of the situation too. I know that they haven't technically made it "available" yet -- they used that promo floating around to pique people's curiosity at AFM -- I believe Cannes is when they'll do the selling, they usually try to get a bidding war on at the first screening (as I understand it). Hopefully they'll get someone big interested.

Hope things go well, and this gets a big distributor. Would love to see a film like this in theaters. There just aren't enough movies like this being made any more. Everything is too slick and polished and glamorous.

Every time I watch that sizzle reel, something new jumps out at me, and a couple of things caught my eye the last time. One was the shot of the guy on the hood of the car just before he crashes through the plate glass window. It looked like the car stopped and he was thrown through it. That was very cool! Another was that big black car. Is it just me or did anyone else feel like that was a giant land shark about to leap off the screen and eat them? :P

The extended reel is cool as well! I really hope that this will get a theatrical release...

Thanks for the insight on Malone's origin, Mark. That's an interesting inspiration. Johnny Cash rocks (if Malone has a brother, get Joaquin Phoenix for the sequel ^^) and I hope that they will get one of his songs for the soundtrack. Great sequel titles. It would be great if this becomes a franchise, maybe with comics and/or novelizations as well :)

That poster is just awesome, Tim!

Hmm they don't want to market it as noir on any level... even though it is? Strange, but maybe you can keep the final poster at least a bit similar.

Had a great face to face Wednesday with Russell and editor Robert A. Ferretti.

Also got a chance to meet the composer, David Williams.

David was awesome and we got to chat a little about film scores.

Grilled him and Russell about what their plan is for Malone, and let me tell ya, it sounds fantastic.

David has all the groundwork laid and now just has to strap in for the heavy lifting.

I'm listening to a score David did for The Invited (which he graciously handed me) and it's Sa-Weet.

You are in good hands Hosack.

Also came home with the current edit of the film, no color timing, temp music, unfinished FX, missing essential ADR work . . .

BUT . . . It's all I'd hoped it would be and more - A diamond in the rough.

Side note - I did not broadcast the casting of Gregory Harrison as Whitmore months ago because it was personally a little disappointing to me.

I was working with Tom and suggesting cool actor after cool actor for the part, guys like Clancy Brown, Mark Rolston, Jonathan Banks, even Tom Skerritt. Anyway, when Gregory Harrison of all people was cast I was like "HUH?" I just didn't see it. I'm being vague intentionally ;) My only thought was, "you just cast fucking Trapper John as this tough as nails organized crime boss?"

But you see I was working without a complete picture of what the character really was. In effect, all of those suggestions were not quite right for the character. As it turns out, Greg Harrison was inspired casting (Thanks to Russell). I think it's been mentioned here already that Russell and Greg teamed for Russell's breakthrough film, 1984's Australian horror classic RAZORBACK (of which I've long been a fan). So there was a nice thing going on between the two for sure. After watching the film I was very impressed with what Greg brought to the production. Any reservations I held for that dynamic have vanished entirely.

The real reason I'm posting is just to say that I'm working on designing the opening title sequence and am having a ball.

Russell and Robert are great guys to work with, very receptive to ideas and wonderful collaborators. Here's hoping we pull it off.

Recopying the link for the extended sizzle reel for quick reference - Malone - Extended footage

- TB

This keeps sounding better and better. I'm glad that everyone is getting their fingerprints on this is some way or another. Anyone on this forum long enough knows that Tim knows his stuff inside and out, so if he approves this has got to be one hell of a film. I keep thinking I don't know how it can get any better, but every week you guys surprise me. Can't wait!

Keep it all in perspective, this is a film with an under 10 million $ shooting budget and it's susceptible to the limitations common to that budget corridor.

I see a helluva little film there but it still needs a lot of work. What I watched I really liked, but I was also projecting how it might be in my mind as a finished product. Is it the be-all, end-all of crime noir cinema? That's for you to decide. What it does have is an unexpected charm, heart, brutality, and excellent performances throughout, and I think it will carve out a niche for itself.

I wouldn't want my own thoughts or feelings about the film to mislead anyone into thinking this is the next Chinatown, but if you enjoy the kinds of things I just described then you'll get a tremendous kick out of Malone. Mulcahy brings a real sense of style to the action and it moves like a Thompson Submachine Gun on full auto. I really do love this world you created Mark. The dialogue alone is worth the price of admission.

I'd love to share a lot more with everyone but my feeling is that it's too early to go on and on, or to single out any performances (which I really want to do). I feel privileged to have been given a look at this stage but it's probably best to reign it in. We should be seeing lots more in the coming months, plenty enough to keep everyone interested, and then you can all judge for yourselves!

- TB

Thought you all might enjoy this -

Con Schell (who stunt doubled for Tom on Malone and Dark Country), and Tom Jane taking a break during filming of Give 'Em Hell Malone.

ConTomMalone.jpg

Also, Tim did you grill them about using "Rusty Cage" for the trailer?

Of Course! ;)

Funnily enough, both Russell and Robert were cringing over that little sizzle trailer. Which should give some indication of how much better the actual film is.

And I was RAVING about it! They looked at me like I was nuts. Then I saw the actual edit. Good shit comin'.

- TB

That is funny, because that sizzle reel is seems to selling quite a bunch of people from websites like joblo.com and filmschoolrejects.com on the movie. It is definitely understandable though.

I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way Tim. I just think that the film looks like it's going to kick some ass and finally be that hard boiled film people talk about but no one does. Guns, gals, and hard hits. The thing I like about what I'm seeing is that it looks like it is grounded in reality, but at the same time takes advantage of "being a movie", kind of like Cal McDonald only without the supernatural characters.

I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way Tim.

Never in life ;) More clarifying what I'd said.

I just think that the film looks like it's going to kick some ass and finally be that hard boiled film people talk about but no one does. Guns, gals, and hard hits. The thing I like about what I'm seeing is that it looks like it is grounded in reality, but at the same time takes advantage of "being a movie".

Right on the head with that JWeb.

- TB

Facebook Group page is live for Give 'Em Hell Malone.

Mulcahy, Hosack, and cinematographer Jonathan Hall are all in the house.

Please come join us in support of Tom's newest film.

Give 'Em Hell Malone - Facebook Group

- TB

PS - Mark just tipped me to this shot which was posted in Russell Mulcahy's FB gallery. Genius!

maloneMJ.jpg

Cool pic, love it!! :lol:

Too bad, I always tried to stay away from Facebook and Myspace, not a fan of these sites - but I guess that's a reason to change my mind?? :blink:

Great pic, TB! And great news about the Facebook group. I'm there. But is the condition of Thomas' shirt a possible spoiler for the movie? ;):P

Spoiler? Goodness . . . I'll be taking the fifth on that one ;)

All I can really say is . . . Who knows? You'll have to see the film to find out.

My complete and utter apologies if that is evil thing to do to you fine people.

An old girlfriend of mine used to say, "Excitement is enhanced by the wonder." That always got me excited . . . And wondering.

Great shot though right?

Mike V you crack me up ;)

As for Facebook . . . One word. Network.

A little film like this DEPENDS on the grassroots promotion to heighten awareness in a project that might otherwise get no additional marketing train.

It's up to us to bring the heat and spread the word about something we are passionate about.

That's how we bowl.

- tb

As for Facebook . . . One word. Network.

A little film like this DEPENDS on the grassroots promotion to heighten awareness in a project that might otherwise get no additional marketing train.

It's up to us to bring the heat and spread the word about something we are passionate about.

That's how we bowl.

- tb

I'm convinced, I'll check it out! ;)

This film looks so awesome, it certainly deserves all the attention and promotion it can get.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.