Give 'em Hell Malone

And they don't think that would sell to an audience? Wow Tim. If I had not seen the clips or even heard of the film, just seeing that hanging in the theater lobby, I'd be ready to wait in line opening day. It's a hell of a lot more striking than your regular fair of posters you see today.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still on my Malone kick after watching a rough cut this week, which actually kind of sucks because I can's talk about it w/ anyone and its not like it's coming out in the upcoming weeks, so more on the origins of Malone. The inspiration for writing Malone wasn't another film, but the bridge of Rusty Cage as performed by Johnny Cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGBZf5oKspk

Specifically, the part Johnny slows it down at 1:25 -- late one night it inspired the hallway scene in the trailer -- the visuals that jumped out w/ the music were of some PI with a beatup hat blasting goons left and right on his way down the hall, killing his way to get "the meaning of love," a grizzled over-the-top VO, "Gettin' shot's never easy, the bullets tend to hurt." that sort of thing, and right afterward, the title "Give 'em Hell, Malone," jumped out, and so I sort of based the story and character around the title and "the meaning of love."

Malone as a character ended up coming out as a cross between Johnny Cash and Steve McQueen.

At any rate, if you haven't heard the song, check it out. It's a great cover.

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! How can the suits not think that poster is appropriate? It grabs me right away and tells me all I need to know about the film. Stark. Gritty. Dangerous. Take my money, I want to see this!

And when is this film not noir? Are they afraid the audience doesn't know what noir is? Please don't tell me they're trying to "soften it up" for the women-under-25 category.

Thanks so much for posting it Tim. Good luck on finding that compromise - whatever it is, it's sure to be fecking amazing.

I'm still on my Malone kick after watching a rough cut this week, which actually kind of sucks because I can's talk about it w/ anyone and its not like it's coming out in the upcoming weeks, so more on the origins of Malone. The inspiration for writing Malone wasn't another film, but the bridge of Rusty Cage as performed by Johnny Cash.

Specifically, the part Johnny slows it down at 1:25 -- late one night it inspired the hallway scene in the trailer -- the visuals that jumped out w/ the music were of some PI with a beatup hat blasting goons left and right on his way down the hall, killing his way to get "the meaning of love," a grizzled over-the-top VO, "Gettin' shot's never easy, the bullets tend to hurt." that sort of thing, and right afterward, the title "Give 'em Hell, Malone," jumped out, and so I sort of based the story and character around the title and "the meaning of love."

Malone as a character ended up coming out as a cross between Johnny Cash and Steve McQueen.

Now if I had never heard anything about this, and I had never even heard of Thomas Jane, that alone would make me want to see this movie. Johnny Cash was one of the baddest guys to ever walk in shoe leather, imo. He didn't just talk the talk, he walked the walk. He made his own rules and he lived by 'em and said "Screw you" (literally) to those who didn't agree with him. And one of the greatest things about him was that some of the best work of his career was done at the end of his career, as evidenced by that video. His American Man recordings were some of the best stuff ever laid down. I loved that when he wanted to make a new album late in his career, and all of the Nashville (or country) labels turned him down because they thought he was too old and wouldn't sell to today's audience, he went to a Detroit label, and ended up making some of the most seminal work of his career, and even won Grammys towards the end of his life. How many artists can say they did that? But the best part was that after he won the Grammy for the first American Man album, he took out a full page ad in all the papers, with a picture of him giving the finger, with the sarcastic tagline, Thanks for everything, Nashville. :lol:

Thanks so much for sharing that, Mark. I loved that, and that song suits the feel of the movie perfectly, imo. I can picture a scene with Malone sittin' in his overstuffed chair with a bottle and a glass, bruised and bloodied, with this song playing in the background.

Damn, the more I hear about this movie, the better it sounds.

Tim, if the studio didn't think that that poster would put butts in the seats, then that just shows what a bunch of braindead morons they are. I'm sure their version will be slick and polished, and PG-13, right?

Guest AdminGuyX

I just love the way you made the background out of contrasting Mateba's and bullets. That's pure fucking genius.

A stark/graphic ad campaign has worked wonders for the new Ocean's 11/12/13 franchise. The video game success of max payne is due in part to it's very graphic ad approach. The ads for Inglorious bastards don't even have the actors on them.

I understand your comments about having the utmost respect for your clients though Tim. But it's too bad they can't understand when they are making a mistake.

Mark, I love that this film was inspired by Cash's cover of a Soundgarden song. That whole damn CD is flat out amazing.

I've found a lot of inspiration in music over the years myself. It's always a wonder to me the places we find inspiration from.

Great story, thanks for sharing it.

It fills me with delight that the inspiration for this character, for the film itself, came from JC. Specifically Rusty Cage (which I'm listening to as we speak).

That bridge is fucking LEGENDARY. I do so hope someone goes after that song for the film. Cash's son is a pretty cool guy and might see his way to make it affordable. Never hurts to check. That song is TOO COOL. The SGarden original never did much for me. It wasn't until Cash covered it with Rick Rubin at the helm that it REALLY resonated with me. Malone now has an extra, supercool later to it for me now.

By the way, that new extended sizzle is fucking SIZZLING. Great shit.

- TB

I never heard the Cash cover before. I love Soundgarden and Johnny Cash and knew that the cover was out there, but never went to seek it out. Now I'm glad I did. The bridge is amazing. Tim is right, someone needs to see if they can get the song for the film.

I do so hope someone goes after that song for the film. Cash's son is a pretty cool guy and might see his way to make it affordable. Never hurts to check. That song is TOO COOL.

Good to know -- I'll email the powers who be.

And believe it or not, contrary to these promos floating around, there is dialogue in this film... Sure, it's mostly grunts and groans but every once in a while you can catch a discernible word.

I have the upmost respect for my clients, and I'd rather it was me doing standard marketing concepts for this film than some service bureau with no real feel for the characters and material. Perhaps I can find the perfect compromise. That's my challenge.

xo - TB

My guess is they want some Elsa in there. They probably think cleavage will sell it better.

I like your poster. TJ's face looks cool in silhouette.

Mark - any chance that after the film is released the script will be available to read? I'm always courious how diffrent writers put together a script.

Absolutely. You can get it through me. I'd let you read it now, but I think there's something in my contract that says I'll be shot. I'll look into it though...

Mike, I'm going to have to officially bring you in on the next Shock Festival book.

With mad tag skilz like that you simply MUST be employed!!!

Hosack - love, Love, LOVE those titles. "Make 'Em Bleed, Malone" is my favorite.

Three great titles for sure. Gets me excited just thinking about the possibilities.

Kill 'Em All, Malone is genius too ;)

REALLY? You want me to show off a poster design that studio heads hate?

Heh, take that word with a grain of salt. I'm sure it's not the design they hate . . . It's the concept, the style.

They feel it's too retro which to them means it has limitations in a "selling" market. They don't want to sell this film as noir of any sort.

It's bold and graphic which means it's cool like a mutherfucker.

They want something that will sell to schmucks all over the globe, they need to play it SAFE.

Thus they want Shoot 'Em Up, not Make Em Bleed.

Alas -

Well . . . Here's a look - But I gotta keep it small for now.

Malonepopnoir.jpg

I have the upmost respect for my clients, and I'd rather it was me doing standard marketing concepts for this film than some service bureau with no real feel for the characters and material. Perhaps I can find the perfect compromise. That's my challenge.

xo - TB

It would be an honor.

And hells yeah to that poster, really cool.

Also, Russell should really cut a trailer for this using Cash's cover of "Rusty Cage", I played it over the new sizzle reel and that breakdown at 1:25 happened just as Malone stepped into profile on screen and it is bad-motherfucking-ass. The trailer just has to be done with that song now.

It would be an honor.

And hells yeah to that poster, really cool.

Also, Russell should really cut a trailer for this using Cash's cover of "Rusty Cage", I played it over the new sizzle reel and that breakdown at 1:25 happened just as Malone stepped into profile on screen and it is bad-motherfucking-ass. The trailer just has to be done with that song now.

Thanks, and I agree whole heartedly on the 'Cage' playing over the trailer.

- tb

I just love the way you made the background out of contrasting Mateba's and bullets. That's pure fucking genius.

I agree with Noeland and JWeber ...

Tim, you are so good at that subliminal, interlocking, Escher-like silhouette business - I can catch a different detail each time I look at the poster.

That's why the studio can't handle it - they think the audience can't handle it. B)

Absolutely. You can get it through me. I'd let you read it now, but I think there's something in my contract that says I'll be shot. I'll look into it though...

After all the legal stuff is out of the way, I'd deffinatly like to give it a read. Thanks Mark.

Dtto!!! That's an awesome poster, Tim!

And they don't think that would sell to an audience? Wow Tim. If I had not seen the clips or even heard of the film, just seeing that hanging in the theater lobby, I'd be ready to wait in line opening day. It's a hell of a lot more striking than your regular fair of posters you see today.

I just love that Malone is Cash and McQueen - what a perfect combo for TJ.

From the interviews I've seen, John Carter seems pretty accessbile and cool. I would so love to hear Steel Cage in the final soundtrack. I really hope that seed can grow.

Methinks TB needs to print some one sheets up for the boys. I'd buy one.

You beat me to it. Seriously, I'm very interested in a poster as well.... I would get myself one made at a printing press (I think that's what it's called...) if I had a higher quality pic. Though that could lead to someone taking it and selling themselves... :/

Hope it gets available after the movie is done at least.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.