J. Michael Straczynski (Clint Eastwood's The Changeling, Babylon 5) wrote the script for the upcoming 10th Marvel project by FOX.

The character which I feel had a fairly decent setup in a not so decent film, is in the end too interesting to look away from.

This CAN become a great franchise, and one actually capable of succeeding the way IRON MAN has with its already in development 2010 sequel.

dougjonesinriseofthesilxp5.jpg

Tim Story's franchise came to an end with the financial dissapointment that Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer was.

Chris Evans (The Human Torch/Johnny Storm) confirmed the franchise's doom in an interview with MTV:

"I'm pretty sure we won’t do [another] one. I'm assuming that one is a closed book. Regardless, I feel the franchise's potential was not reached. I think it could have been something great, and I think we got pretty close."

Aside from the rest of the cast, Doug Jones was kickass as The Surfer and I think a solo film can give the actor the break he's been seeking for 20 years.

I doubt FOX will recast since they won't wanna spend any extra cash with the announced $180 Million budget that will go primarily into CGI.

The story revolves around a personal war between The Surfer and a certain LARGE individual...

Let's face it - the greatest thing about the project is the BIG reveal of Galactus.

The character design which cost an estimated $5 Million for just 7-8 frames set to appear in Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer was taken out shortly before the film's release to give this spinoff an edge. Its also partially responsible for that film's Box Office failure.

Still, the future concept of paying $10 to see a live action Galactus (reportedly more realistic than the incarnation in Marvel Ultimate Alliance) is fuckin spot on.

I know I'm doing it and I'm sure every guy that's ever picked up a Marvel comic book will too.

He's the big cheese, and the thought of him is scary alone.

As of now FOX is concentrating on a 2010 release since X-Men Origins: Magneto will be getting a FALL release that year.

This is probably gonna be their 2010 Summer vehicle.

*Here's Straczynski's interview with AMC:

AMC: Did your work on the Silver Surfer: Requiem comic bring about the offer to write The Silver Surfer ?

JMS: "It was one of those weird synchronicities. FOX was disappointed in how Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer did. And given how this will be a subset of that film in terms of the marketing strategy, I think there is hesitation there about how this will do. The script is pretty good, I like it."

AMC: Does this pick up where Silver Surfer left off in Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer?

JMS: "I was writing it as Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer was about to come out, and it picks up literally the next frame after that movie, where you find out why The Surfer was there and what happened to him. We see Galactus, his home world, what happened and him trying to get back there, because now that he’s betrayed Galactus, he’s concerned his home world might be in jeopardy."

AMC: What do you mean when you say, "We see Galactus"?

JMS: "In the script I come up with some ways to visualize him that are true to the original, but take it one step further using the current CGI technology that we have. So we'll see him as a character on numerous occasions in this movie, not inconsistent with the first distant shot of him in the last movie that was just a way of concealing who and what he really is. Believe me, he won't be silly looking at all."

-TL

Guest FADoss

Will Jones get to do the voice work this time...as he did in Hellboy II...or will we see more Fishburne? If someone else voices over his performance for the entire film then it really doesn't give him a HUGE break.

Fred

I think they're probably gonna stick with Fishburne. But if there are flashbacks to Surfer when he was Norrin Radd, that'll be the only way to see and hear Jones, unless they fuck him over and get somebody else to play Radd.

They'll probably use him for the Silver Surfer, but for Norrin Radd they might want somebody with more name recognition. Which I hope doesn't happen, because Jones is a great actor. His episode of Fear Itself was pretty much the best episode out of all the ones that aired.