thieves among us

i know this area is for Mr. Jane but i believe what i have to say applies to people like him and Mr. Bradstreet. I have a hobby and thats collecting DVD's. When i go to the store and buy a new DVD with my hard earned money i do it not just because i like the movie but also because i know the people who made that movie are going to get their money, even if it's pennies. I believe if they don't then slowly but surely production companies won't be able to make these films anymore. Awhile back when i was waiting for the Punisher movie to come out, i saw guys at work with pirated copies. They said i could buy it for so much less then the real DVD, but i said i would wait. When i was walking out to my jeep to go home i saw a guy standing at the trunk of his car, in his trunk was a ton of pirated movies. I took his tag number down and i called the police and reported it. Now i know this was no major crime and the cops may never do anything about it, and i know people would call me a narc or stupid for doing it, but if they call me to be a witness, i will gladly walk through those courtroom doors and testify. Now this crap with everyone trying to steal Mutant Chronicles of it's due rights and rewards, pisses me off to no end. No matter what those people put up on this internet, i will continue to always buy my real DVD from the real distributors. I love this site because it's full of people who care about the industry, not want to rag on it or bring it down. Whether it's a drawn comic, or a movie, you will always have my support RAW, and the cool thing about this site is i know i'm not alone....thank you

In my case, I can download movies when I can not wait for the exit cinema or DVD release (but it's rare, I have only 4 movies downloaded, and some sixty purchased), but then, I ALWAYS buy the DVD. And it happens that if I love the movie, I going to see him several times at cinema (my best score was 6 times for a same film), and I can buy several DVD edition of the same film (collector, Director's cut, etc...).

In my case, I can download movies when I can not wait for the exit cinema or DVD release (but it's rare, I have only 4 movies downloaded, and some sixty purchased), but then, I ALWAYS buy the DVD. And it happens that if I love the movie, I going to see him several times at cinema (my best score was 6 times for a same film), and I can buy several DVD edition of the same film (collector, Director's cut, etc...).

Aurelia, i really do commend you for saying what you said. i guess i might seem way too strong for something like this. i really don't mean to come off as some kind of robo-movie cop about something like this, but it really does touch a nerve for me. even to see 65 people read this thread but only you reply to it even more shows the way we feel as consumers of this industry. basically i think when someone downloads a movie on their computer, they think, well i'm just one person and this is just one movie, what possible harm could that be doing.....a simple tap on the shoulder of all the people who made that movie, but when you think of all the thousands, if not millions, of people who think that same way, well, it becomes more like a baseball bat to their back. we, as fans of the actors, directors, crews of these films have a right to protect them, because on their own, they stand no chance against the legions of people out there who don't care, only to make a buck or worse, just to sabatage the industry that we love so much. i know it seems like such a lost cause, i really do, and that as one person it won't make a difference, but i feel if we continue to feel that way, then it really will be.......

I understand, but I don't think "to kill" the movie industry with at my active only 4 films downloaded to 6 years of internet, films that I went to see or that I will go see at cinema anyway, and that I buy anyway in dvd when they coming out in France.

For those who download 36 films in a week (or who sell them !!!!), ok, but I do not feel concerned. -_-

For certain films, it is of the impatience, for others it is a lack of choice ! "Stander" for example is NEVER released in France, nor at cinema, nor on DVD... So, in this case, what choice remains for me ????? Find abroad in zone 2, it's not easy... and in french, it's impossible.

Moreover, I think that for the Americans, they have fewer "problems" to find movies because they have the same nationality (and in the same language of course). For foreigners, it's another story, some films are very poorly distributed (or not at all) !

Anyway, one could still fight for a long time on this subject... It's a sensitive subject. ;)

But beware, I did not say that I support the downloading !

I've got a lot of sympathy for Aurelia. In the 7 MONTHS between when the Mist was released in the US and released in England (where I now live), I inevitably had the ending ruined for me when I read an interview with Frank Darabont when he was promoting the DVD for release in the US (over 2 months before it was even theatrically released in England... where we speak English and don't have to wait for dubbing/translations etc... WHY 'Dimension/MGM' WHY!!!).

I finally saw The Mist (and loved it) when it was finally released over here, but I've always felt robbed that I never got to experience the ending as I should have (imagine watching The Usual Suspects but knowing who 'Keyser Söze' was all along!). As you can imagine, I was pretty p****d off about that and 'pondering' should I just have just downloaded it before Darabont of all people ruined the ending. When I finally saw it (Saturday mid-night screening.. sweet) I was glad I had waited for the full theatrical experience (seeing the massive creatures on the big screen was so ominous).

Now, I have NEVER downloaded a movie and I don't plan to (not even from iTunes or whatever) as I'm a fillm nut and I want to experience films theatrically when possible, but the distributors do need to recognise the positions they put people in. Temptation can be awful hard when you aren't left with any real alternatives. Take 'Thursday' for example, I'd love to own a copy of that. At best I could order a copy from Denmark, but I'm not sure how legal that is (or if it's got Danish subtitles all over it). Now I appreciate the legal issues around Thursday with 'Polygram/USA' going bankrupt, but someone owns the rights to it so why are they not trying to make some money by selling it to us legitimately?

I find it ridiculous when distributors wont sell a product to an audience that wants to buy it (which would make more money for all involved!). It's just bad business and they can hardly be surprised when people go down alternate routes. Now, I'm not blaming them for all piracy (some people are just thieving scum), but Distributors do have to take responsibility for their part in driving some people like Aurelia to it and address those issues, rather than just playing the victim.

Speaking about things that I want to buy, but can't - The soundtrack to Danny Boyle's "Sunshine".

Fox Searchlight, why wont you sell me a copy? Sort out a deal with 'Underworld' (who want to release it).

Release it! Have Money, Will Pay! Make profit, everybody happy!!!

Guest FADoss

Personally, my six year old keeps me from seeing a lot of things like "The Mist" until they are released on DVD. I don't go online and pirate them. I just wait until they come out on DVD and then go through Netflix or buy them.

If I can wait, anyone can wait. Pirating is pretty shitty.

Fred

I've got a lot of sympathy for Aurelia. In the 7 MONTHS between when the Mist was released in the US and released in England (where I now live), I inevitably had the ending ruined for me when I read an interview with Frank Darabont when he was promoting the DVD for release in the US (over 2 months before it was even theatrically released in England... where we speak English and don't have to wait for dubbing/translations etc... WHY 'Dimension/MGM' WHY!!!).

I finally saw The Mist (and loved it) when it was finally released over here, but I've always felt robbed that I never got to experience the ending as I should have (imagine watching The Usual Suspects but knowing who 'Keyser Söze' was all along!). As you can imagine, I was pretty p****d off about that and 'pondering' should I just have just downloaded it before Darabont of all people ruined the ending. When I finally saw it (Saturday mid-night screening.. sweet) I was glad I had waited for the full theatrical experience (seeing the massive creatures on the big screen was so ominous).

Now, I have NEVER downloaded a movie and I don't plan to (not even from iTunes or whatever) as I'm a fillm nut and I want to experience films theatrically when possible, but the distributors do need to recognise the positions they put people in. Temptation can be awful hard when you aren't left with any real alternatives. Take 'Thursday' for example, I'd love to own a copy of that. At best I could order a copy from Denmark, but I'm not sure how legal that is (or if it's got Danish subtitles all over it). Now I appreciate the legal issues around Thursday with 'Polygram/USA' going bankrupt, but someone owns the rights to it so why are they not trying to make some money by selling it to us legitimately?

I find it ridiculous when distributors wont sell a product to an audience that wants to buy it (which would make more money for all involved!). It's just bad business and they can hardly be surprised when people go down alternate routes. Now, I'm not blaming them for all piracy (some people are just thieving scum), but Distributors do have to take responsibility for their part in driving some people like Aurelia to it and address those issues, rather than just playing the victim.

Speaking about things that I want to buy, but can't - The soundtrack to Danny Boyle's "Sunshine".

Fox Searchlight, why wont you sell me a copy? Sort out a deal with 'Underworld' (who want to release it).

Release it! Have Money, Will Pay! Make profit, everybody happy!!!

Murphy, you have perfectly summed up the situation, therefore I have nothing more to add. 369669yr9.gif

;)

If I can wait, anyone can wait. Pirating is pretty shitty.

So it's alright for you to buy 'bootleg films while stationed in Afghanistan' but downloading from the internet is 'shitty'?

Care to clarify your position, because it seems to me that you are of the same opinion as Aurelia. When you have no legitimate options available to you, you can do things you wouldn't otherwise do, due to the lack of options.

On a side note, I think bootlegging is worse than P2P. Generally no one profits from P2P (unless they then rip and bootleg) while the proceeds of bootlegging goes to criminal organisations. I appreicate that neither are victimless crimes, but please bear in mind that the proceeds of bootlegging by criminal gangs are often used to fund terrorist organisations... as was the case in Ireland and England with organisations like the U.V.F (Loyalists) and the IRA (Republicans) in the 80's and 90's. Growing up in Ireland in the 80's & 90's, the concept of bombs going off all over the place was not a particularly nice one and I'm not particularly happy with the people who funded it intentionally or otherwise.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything here, I just think it's important that people try see arguements from all sides and conisder the consequences of their actions. As I've said, I've never pirated a movie and I'm not in favour of it, but I do understand why some poeple do and I just hope they consider the consequences of their actions before making the decision to do so, whether it's f**king over the artists/investors by not paying them their dues (P2P & Bootlegging) or whether it's funding crime/terrorism (Bootlegging).

There was a store here a few months ago that got busted for selling bootleg CDs and DVDs. When I used to paint tees at a flea market you'd see an occasional bust here and there- especially rock shirts, fake designer bags, and all. Being in the shirt business back then (even sold some of Tim's vampire tees- legitimately of course!) I could spot a fake a mile away, and apparently the cops could occasionally.

Heck- we've found bootlegs of our comic online. It could be downloaded from us for like a buck or two, but someone downloaded it and started sharing it online.

I don't buy bootlegs. I'll pony up some bucks for the real thing. If I don't want to pay out the butt for a copy when it first hits I'll just wait until it goes on sale or put it on the Christmas/birthday wish list.

I stay so busy I'm lucky to catch movies in the theater or watch them at home. And if I'm going to watch someone's head go across the screen I might as well be sitting in stadium seating with some good sound. ;)

Lin

i know alot of other people might feel different, and it really is a touchy subject because of the places of the world we live in, because some of us can get DVD's easier then others, but i feel it comes down to this......if you want to cheer on an actor and praise that production crew for a movie, or even tell them they could have done it better, or you did'nt like it for what ever reason, then at least have the fortitude to wait to buy it or watch it legally.....reguardless of how hard it might be for you to get it.....at least then, not only do you have the right to speak your words but then you helped them in even the smallest of ways get that money to maybe make their next film that much better......it's that plane and simple......because we are the ones who make these movies happen.........

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.