1. 1. Who played the best Batman?

• Lewis Wilson
    • Adam West
    • Michael Keaton
    • Val Kilmer
    • George Clooney
    • Christian Bale

jesus...i think i peed....

This one is not funny, but it is the perfect fit for that song.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a tough decision for me, but I chose Bale. I find his Batman to be more physically intimidating, as long as he doesn't talk. I still can't get past his voice. My 2nd would be Keaton, because his Batman was great, but I didn't care for the molded muscles, and he didn't seem very scary to me, but he had a great voice.

For me it definitely comes down to Bale and Keaton...It's hard to decide because I grew up on the Keaton versions but am now a huge fan of Christian Bale's performances, but if i were to choose one itd be Bale because his version gives you a cool balance between Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Bale.

Because every other Batman film was a comedy until now, so while one cannot blame the actors for the comedic bat-films of years past...Bale's been the only believable Batman yet in my opinion.

Tim Burton's first Batman is a lot of fun though. Everything in between I try to pretend never happened.

Oh and I was in high school when Keaton was Batman. Still like Bale better. ;)

-JD3

There was an intensity in Keaton's eyes that none of the others had.

keatonisbatmanor1.jpg

I honestly don't understand why people like Bale.

Specially after he played The Invisible Man in The Dark Knight.

Keaton was anything BUT invisible.

His Batman was psychotic.

A creature of the night that didn't need to sound like an ass to come across as a dangerous entity.

Not only was his take on Batman more subtle (something Bale's over the top grizzly bear fails miserably at) but he was deadlier.

A killer.

keatonisbatman6an4.jpg

I honestly don't care if Batman killing goes against the comic book.

If you're gonna be a vigilante, you gotta get your hands dirty.

keatonisbatman9vv8.jpg

Keaton played him like a man that goes nuts at night.

A man with no real plan and no real mission.

Its just something he's been doing for years and something he's just gotta keep doing.

Bale plays him like a cardboard cut out.

He has to try and look mean cause even in the suit he doesn't evoke fear.

Keaton WAS fear.

-TL

Guest FADoss

TL, I really think that's just your opinion...and I think this poll proves it. As for wanting Batman to be a killer...not everyone is The Punisher.

As much as you hate "purists" there is something to be said AGAINST people who would just toss out ALL the source material. And who did Keaton's Batman kill on purpose? Just asking.

Again, I don't think you give Bale enough credit and apparently about 60% of this board agrees with me. :)

Fred

Ledger played the most lethal Joker and Keaton played the most brutal Batman.

If those two were the same age and had done a Nolan Batman film together, the world would have exploded.

It woulda been TOO FUCKING good.

The Lethal Bat and The Killer Clown...

keatonisbatman7sz1.jpgVS heath11copybwk4.jpg

-TL

Guest FADoss

Bale is more animalistic in his approach AND retains the Batman morality. Plus, he nails Bruce Wayne.

Keaton was great, but Bale is better. I wouldn't say by a huge margin, but better, in my opinion.

Fred

Bale is more animalistic in his approach

Dude, do I have to send you a copy of Batman Returns?

The man is nuts in the movie and makes Bale's karate chopping/soar throat talking Batman look like a librarian.

Seriously, rent the movie.

-TL

Guest FADoss
Dude, do I have to send you a copy of Batman Returns?

The man is nuts in the movie and makes Bale's karate chopping/soar throat talking Batman look like a librarian.

Seriously, rent the movie.

-TL

I saw that one in theaters...a couple of times and owned it on VHS for years. It's good, but it's no Batman Begins...and the weaker of the two Burton films.

NO way you are going to tell me that ANY Batman has fought like Bale in Batman. That's like comparing the vicious Bond of Daniel Craig to any of the Judo chopping Bonds of the past.

Fred

Guest FADoss
Half of the people here saw Dark Knight last month and Batman Returns 10 years ago.

Trust me, if they refreshed their memory, that poll would be completely different.

-TL

Always an answer for everyone who disagrees with you...

When all else fails just call them stupid or ignorant.

Fred

• 1 month later...

When i was a kid, i was glued to the TV every day for reruns of Adam West.

When i was a teenager, Tim Burton gave us Michael Keaton, and he owned. Had no problem with him being a comedian in other stuff, his Batman was how i felt Batman should be (and you're right, TL, his eyes completely sold it).

Then came Val; i am a big fan, but obviously Joel Schumacher screwed the pooch. However, i started to compare the portrayals of the Dark Knight, and tended to prefer Keaton as Bruce Wayne (i loved how he tended to be kinda scattered when dealing with the trivial details of everyday life--'Open, what? Six? Yeah, six.' Then when he was in the Batcave, supreme focus). But i could imagine the potential of Val as Batman, given a director who had a feel for the character (i do tend to like Schumacher's movies, as hard as that is to admit by a fan of Batman, so i tend to ignore his cartoonish DC attempts).

George Clooney never played Batman.

When rumors started swirling about Christian Bale, and having been a fan of American Psycho, i felt they finally found our Batman. He was the right size physically, he was pretty enough to be the billionaire playboy, and fucking nuts enough to be The Batman. i have to agree with a lot of folks on here, his Bat-Voice was a bit much at times, but overall this is as close as we can get to a real life incarnation of Batman.

Advantage Bale.