Inglorious Bastards

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin hated Death Proof and still does to no end. He claims there is no action in it. I guess he didn't pay attention to the last half of the film, it's all car chase.

Like you said Mike, I think Kill Bill opened a lot of doors for QT getting into the mainstream, or more like getting the attention of high schoolers, and now all they think he's about is action and gore.

No action in Death Proof. I think that qualifies someone for being either oblivious...or special. And I don't think that Kill Bill should be relegated to a teeny bopper flick... I think he was already a hip cat with the younger generation with Reservoir Dogs (the same way that Scarface is still popular with young Latin gangstas) and Pulp Fiction. I think that Kill Bill was made for fans of seventies action more than anything else and is ANYTHING but mainstream. It's also my favorite Tarantino flick and I love all of his stuff.

Fred

And I don't think that Kill Bill should be relegated to a teeny bopper flick... I think he was already a hip cat with the younger generation with Reservoir Dogs (the same way that Scarface is still popular with young Latin gangstas) and Pulp Fiction. I think that Kill Bill was made for fans of seventies action more than anything else and is ANYTHING but mainstream. It's also my favorite Tarantino flick and I love all of his stuff.

Fred

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it should either, but it kind of worked out that way with Kill Bill. Pulp and Dogs were something I found in Jr. High, and that was due to Pulp being the hit that it was at the time. I work with a lot of teens, and it still surprises the hell out of me how many of them have not heard of either film. But Kill Bill they know. Kill Bill had great marketing and got a lot of exposer. Look at Jackie Brown. That was Quentin's film after Pulp, and hardly anyone knows of it. Too bad too. That's where I'm getting at with Kill Bill, not trying to drag it down. I love it because of all the 70's nods myself as well as it's just a cool as hell film.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this has been posted here already, but here's another trailer for this movie. This one's an overseas trailer which looks a lot different than the ones I've seen so far. But this one looks like a lot more fun than the others that I've seen.

I'm still not loving Brad Pitt's horrendous accent, but seeing this, the accent kinda fits and it's pretty funny. I'm still undecided, but I'll probably give this one a try, just because I like Tarantino so much.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/over...rious-basterds/

Guest AdminGuyX

Shit, I guess he's just being honest about his feelings. OUCH.

I have to admit, the more I watch trailers, the more I wonder if Pitt isn't doing his own little sling blade impression.

"That Natzee lives in his heart."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jun/26...asterds-prequel

Reading the last two paragraphs, I'm wondering if Harvey is trying to sabotage his films, or if it's some marketing ploy I'm not catching on to.

That's strange, because the Weinsteins are pretty much banking on this movie keeping them afloat.

What is he contradicting? You realize the last quote on the first article isn't his right?

The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw called it "achtung-achtung-ach-mein-Gott atrocious".

He continued: "It isn't funny; it isn't exciting; it isn't a realistic war movie, yet neither is it an entertaining genre spoof or a clever counterfactual wartime yarn. It isn't emotionally involving or deliciously ironic or a brilliant tissue of trash-pop references. Nothing like that.

"Brad Pitt gives the worst performance of his life, with a permanent smirk as if he's had the left side of his jaw injected with cement, and which he must uncomfortably maintain for long scenes on camera without dialogue."

Who the fuck cares what Bradshaw thinks?

What is he contradicting? You realize the last quote on the first article isn't his right?

Guess I misread that. The only reason I posted it was because I had seen other news sites that said the same thing, that is was a quote from Harvey. Danm, better do some fact checking.

EDIT: Here's a link to what Fred already figured out:

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/07/08/mixe...from-weinstein/

Also, has anyone seen the character posters from Italy? Those should have been the originals. Love the backgrounds, though they could cut the forground character image. Here's a poster gallery: http://tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Inglo...asterds_posters

• 1 month later...

Very cool posters indeed!

I'm looking forward to this one, even though I wasn't sure about it when it was first announced and stuff, because the last Tarantino movies... well, they weren't that great. But I like the trailer and the cast is great so I will check it out. I just realized recently that austrian actor Christoph Waltz has a major part in the film - very cool! I think I first saw him in the mid-90's where he played the antagonist in one episode of "Kommissar Rex", he is a pretty good actor.

I thought Death Proof was one of the most badass chick flicks ever. Tarantino has this amazing way of keeping women sexy while empowering the shit out of them in his films. The second half of Death Proof is just BAD ASS. And don't even get me started on Kill Bill. I think the man is a genius.

Guest AdminGuyX
I think the man is a genius.

And Quentin would be the first one to agree with you, only he'd be talking so fast all you'd understand is "okaaaaaayyyyy" at the end of it, then evil laughter.

I liked Kurt Russell in Death Proof, but the film didn't work for me otherwise.

I am looking forward to Basterds though.

And Quentin would be the first one to agree with you, only he'd be talking so fast all you'd understand is "okaaaaaayyyyy" at the end of it, then evil laughter.

Did Roger "If I was really the brains behind Pulp Fiction why have I done nothing but shit since" Avary put you up to this?

For those of you in L.A., the New Beverly Cinema is showing the original INGLORIOUS BASTARDS on a double bill with THE DIRTY DOZEN on 8/30, 8/31 & 9/1.

Oh, and KILL BILL 1 & 2 are showing there this week, 8/16 & 8/17.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing this. A LOT of fun. First off, if you don't like "talking" movies, you might be a bit put off by this, but that being said I really liked it. QT's got a knack for dark humor, and I found myself laughing quite a bit during this.

The opening was great. I loved the spaghetti western feel and music for it. Some found it too drawn out, but I thought it was paced the way it should have been.

Brad was funny, Eli wasn't too bad, and Christoph Waltz was great. He deffinatly is one of those villians that you hate one moment and are laughing with him the next, and he oozes charm. Just a pure fucking snake. One of the more surprising cast memebers for me though was Til Schweiger. I've seen him pop up here and there, but this is the role he's been waiting for. Think renegade nazi/Mr. Blonde.

I had to do some speed reading during the credits, because I was pretty sure that the General the Basterds call at the end was Harvey Keitel's voice. It's not listed, but I did see he was in the list of "special thanks". The voice is pretty hard to mistake. All in all, it was fun and entertaining without being dumb and too over the top. Equal mix of summer film and Oscar bait.

I liked it a lot too, it's still funny the man has made 5 (not including Inglourious Basterds) movies, you would think people would know to expect a lot dialogue in a Tarantino movie.

One thing I would have loved,

is when Landa was at the bar after the shoot out, if Stiglitz could have gotten one more kill in before dying, that would have been perfect. Just stabbing some random Nazi before being finally put down

I liked the Leone influence that this movie had, though its sort of reversed. Where Leone would use silence to build up the tension in a scene, Tarantino does the opposite and uses dialogue that really has nothing to do with anything, but is effective and just keeps building up.

Also, check out this unused poster design.

inglourious_basterds.jpg