The Punisher: WarZone

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The movie is great, I just wasn't pleased with Owen - as usual.

Its like Bale in The Dark Knight, he bothered the fuck outta me - but couldn't ruin the movie due to its great script and the amazing list of other actors in it that begins with Heath Ledger.

-TL

shoot em' up was like someone saw the last action hero, and then right after wrote a script on an etch-a-sketch and ran with that movie......

Anyone 5' tall or under cannot be held accountable for their taste in this equation.

Most people under that height requirement are under 16 years (generalization) of age.

At 16, I wasn't the most savvy filmgoer myself. Hell, I paid money to see Kill And Kill Again . . . ('course it was only $2.50 - $3.00 back then).

You can't really blame the young'uns. They like what they like and so be it.

Problem is those young'uns have a hell of a lot more $ these days then when I was a pup.

And it's those pre-SAT, video game addicted (not saying there is anything wrong with that) . . . kids that are the major guilty party shelling out dough for the newest, loudest Hollywood grunt-sculpture.

Considering this, I guess almost all hope is lost ;)

Oh well, the really good stuff has always been hardest to find, and that's one of the fun aspects to it.

I must now go and renew my cinematic serenity by watching Children Of Men again.

- TB

I totally agree with you on this, but hope is not all lost. One of the best parts of my job is working with teens. I get the low down on what "the kids" are watching and then the fun begins. I get to turn them on to great films, thus killing two birds with one stone (I get to educate the young and then in turn I get someone to talk about the film with). As of now, I have about 8 "kids" at work that I've got hooked on films of years past. Damn, now that I think about it, I should start charging. Not a weekend goes by that I don't have a handful of DVD out on loan. ;)

This is also one of the things I'm really looking forward to as a parent, making sure my kids are getting a healthy dose of great films.

I totally agree with you on this, but hope is not all lost. One of the best parts of my job is working with teens. I get the low down on what "the kids" are watching and then the fun begins. I get to turn them on to great films, thus killing two birds with one stone (I get to educate the young and then in turn I get someone to talk about the film with). As of now, I have about 8 "kids" at work that I've got hooked on films of years past. Damn, now that I think about it, I should start charging. Not a weekend goes by that I don't have a handful of DVD out on loan. ;)

This is also one of the things I'm really looking forward to as a parent, making sure my kids are getting a healthy dose of great films.

That's interesting, JW. Are the teens you work with utterly opposed to watching ANY film in black and white? That's a common attitude here, and I find it appalling.

Nomad

Guest FADoss

One of my favorite films of all time is a black and white...Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" is just fantastic.

As for a Punisher B&W...I think I'd have to see it in Frank Miller black, white and red. :) THAT would be awesome.

Fred

No, you'd actually be able to get away with more if it was fully in black and white. The MPAA hates the color red (see Kill Bill Vol. 1 "Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves" fight, there's a reason it's in black and white).

One of my favorite films of all time is a black and white...Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" is just fantastic.

As for a Punisher B&W...I think I'd have to see it in Frank Miller black, white and red. :) THAT would be awesome.

Fred

I love The Seven Samurai :) I also love Night of the liviing Dead a true classic thumbs up:)

Arsh - aren't you against the concept of making Frank an incarnation of an older era?

Isn't that the reason why you embraced Warzone so very much and bashed Henslegh's film a whole lot?

If you thought the 70s take on Castle was "Flawed", a Noirish take on Castle would be shit then.

-TL

Arsh - aren't you against the concept of making Frank an incarnation of an older era?

Isn't that the reason why you embraced Warzone so very much and bashed Henslegh's film a whole lot?

If you thought the 70s take on Castle was "Flawed", a Noirish take on Castle would be shit then.

-TL

No, I bashed Hensleigh's films cause of its severe flaws, not because it's the product of a bygone era.

Just because the '04 Punisher was done in a 70s style does not excuse its flaws.

You could make a good 70s style Punisher film, you can make a good Film Noir Punisher film, you can make a good Modern Day action Punisher film. Its dependant on all the other factors, director, writers, actors, and so on.

I embraced Warzone cause it looks good, and because I like The Punisher. I embraced the '04 version before I saw it as well... and look how that turned out.

I mean, do you even know what film noir is? If you did, you'd know that Castle in a film noir style could be done. It's not so much a genre as it is a distinctive style of film. Have you seen Bradstreet's covers? Have you seen the interiors of MAX comics? Notice all the shadows and the darkness within the stories? Frank Castle's story can translate easily into film noir as it can into 70s action and modern day action, and 80s bloodbaths, and so on. It's a universal story in the sense it can constantly be adapted to many different styles and still work.

Now Hensleigh's Punisher DID NOT work, not because of the fact that it was a 70s style film, but because it was too fucking uneven. He nailed the dark parts of the film, and fucked up the light parts, as well as making some other stuff that didn't work well (I hate that hydrant).

Had he just stuck with the darkness that he got right, he woulda had a gem on his hands.

Now, a film noir Frank Castle film would work. It's a very distinctive style/genre of film (depends on how you view it, I suppose).

Look, I can watch and enjoy 70s films, 40s film noir, 80s action, and modern thrillers. It just depends on how the story is done. If it's done like crap, then obviously I won't like it.

The Punisher MAX can easily be adapted to Film Noir.

Arsh, just from that post I know you haven't even seen an actual noir film.

You need to start renting movies man.

Just from your thoughts I know you haven't seen:

-Vertigo

-Bad Day At Black Rock

-The Gauntlet

-North By Northwest

-Death Rides A Horse

-Dark Victory

I know you've read EVERY issue of MAX, but this is film we're talkin about.

Rent some movies first and then talk to me about film noir in The Punisher and Hensleigh's "severely" flawed throwback.

I hate to say this, but like Fred (which is really hitting the books on this one) you are in the dark man.

-TL

Arsh, just from that post I know you haven't even seen an actual noir film.

You need to start renting movies man.

Just from your thoughts I know you haven't seen:

-Vertigo

-Bad Day At Black Rock

-The Gauntlet

-North By Northwest

-Death Rides A Horse

-Dark Victory

I know you've read EVERY issue of MAX, but this is film we're talkin about.

Rent some movies first and then talk to me about film noir in The Punisher and Hensleigh's "severely" flawed throwback.

I hate to say this, but like Fred (which is really hitting the books on this one) you are in the dark man.

-TL

North by Northwest is one of my favourite films. I've yet to see Vertigo though.

So, according to you, movies like Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, and Momento don't at all qualify as Noir films?