The Punisher: WarZone

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://screenrant.com/punisher-war-zone-pg...ted-r-vic-3445/

Nick Santora said,

August 17th, 2008

Hi, just wanted to clear up a small thing about me getting “primary writing credit” as stated in your post. Though the general concept and storyline for PWZ was originally mine as was the creation of many characters and plot-lines, Art Marcum and Matt Holloway did a great deal of work on the script and it would be wrong for them to not to be properly acknowledged for their efforts. In fact, to be honest, I haven’t seen a final cut but I read the final shooting script and little of my dialogue was left in the script at all. Matt and Art did a lot of excellent work and I’m honored to share credit with them on this film. I’m looking forward to seeing it. Best, Nick Santora.

Nomad

Though the general concept and storyline for PWZ was originally mine as was the creation of many characters and plot-lines...

Well that guy's full of shit.

Jonathan Hensleigh came up with the general concept and storyline for the film.

I'm not surprised, because alotta people [Hurd] in the Warzone crew seem to be bullshitters.

-TL

Well that guy's full of shit.

Jonathan Hensleigh came up with the general concept and storyline for the film.

I'm not surprised, because alotta people [Hurd] in the Warzone crew seem to be bullshitters.

-TL

Nick Santora is full of shit, Thomas? Jonathan Helsleigh is the genius behind the screen, ala the Wizard of Oz? Okay, Sugar. Whatever you say. I know how it is to adore someone so much you can't see the truth. The good news is, you'll grow out of it.

Nomad

Nick Santora said,

August 17th, 2008

Hi, just wanted to clear up a small thing about me getting “primary writing credit” as stated in your post. Though the general concept and storyline for PWZ was originally mine as was the creation of many characters and plot-lines, Art Marcum and Matt Holloway did a great deal of work on the script and it would be wrong for them to not to be properly acknowledged for their efforts. In fact, to be honest, I haven’t seen a final cut but I read the final shooting script and little of my dialogue was left in the script at all. Matt and Art did a lot of excellent work and I’m honored to share credit with them on this film. I’m looking forward to seeing it. Best, Nick Santora.

Nomad

Great find Nomad :)B) Dec 5th Get em Frank.

JUST FOR YOU NOMAD:

Here's the June 13, 2005 script review of Jonathan Hensleigh's The Punisher: Warzone...

"Jonathan Hensleigh's sequel, called The Punisher: War Zone (which was a Punisher comic title), is all about kicking ass and carnage. And to the people annoyed that the first film took place in Tampa, Florida – almost every scene of The Punisher: War Zone is in New York City!

Almost every scene except the first one. The movie opens in Texas. Why? Just so we can see Frank kick some ass, setting up the more violent tone of this sequel. And it’s almost a Western scene. Frank Castle didn’t work when set in Tampa, but he definitely works in a Western setting!

But Frank ends up in New York City pretty quickly, and he immediately creates a vacuum in the mob power structure when he invades Don Cesare’s 100th birthday party. The new no-nonsense Castle is in fine form here:

Frank Castle emerges with a duffle bag and a 1911 Colt. He calmly puts a slug in Don Cesare’s head...

Swifty Lazar Capo: "You just shot an unarmed 100 year old man!!!"

Castle: "I don’t discriminate."

Castle shoots the Swifty Lazar Capo in the head and continues out the club’s rear door.

That’s the fourth killing, and it’s the ninth page. But if that body count isn’t enough, Frank ups the ante a few pages later, in a scene fans of Garth Ennis' run on the comic will remember:

The Capos pour into the courtyard. A Capo hears a "click" and looks down. His foot has triggered a CLAYMORE MINE.

An EXPLOSION rips through the first wave of Capos, cutting them to ribbons with 3000 steel ball bearings.

The surviving Capos squint into the smoke.

A fusillade of bullets sprays across the courtyard, mincing the Capos into hamburger.

Castle emerges firing a CHAIN GUN from the hip.

It’s a bloodbath. The Capos, riddled, go down like dominos.

Castle reloads and keeps firing. Just to be sure.

It’s relentless.

Yes it is! And it’s good! This is what Punisher fans were waiting for, a slightly psychopathic Frank Castle killing bad guy after bad guy.

With all the heads of the Mafia dead, a power struggle begins, but a young and handsome mafiosa steps up and fills the gap. Comic fans will know just who he is when later on in the film Frank Castle ruins his pretty boy looks – Jigsaw.

There’s also a subplot with a female FBI agent who is trying to take Frank down. It’s sort of boring, but necessary, since you need to have someone with humanity to keep the film from just turning into Faces Of Death. There’s another subplot with a priest who calls himself "The Holy" who has flipped his lid and starts killing people who come to confession. That’s also from a Garth Ennis comic, but it’s really useless here.

I won’t give away some of the cool kills, although I will say my favorite had two guys locked in a cage and dropped into the bay. The battle at the end of the first Punisher movie was the strongest part, and the same is here in The Punisher: War Zone, as Frank takes on Jigsaw and his seemingly unkillable bodyguard in a closed Wal-Mart. It’s a fight that takes advantage of everything you could find in a super-store, from bows and arrows to barbeque utensils!

The Punisher: War Zone is the intense and violent story of a crazy man looking to bring some justice to the scum of the Earth. Hensleigh's draft for The Punisher: War Zone is a hard-R crowd pleaser."

Written by Latino Review's El Chavo.

Now, tell me the general concept and storyline in the review is not the one in the film.

Please tell me.

-TL

You could always put yourself in a chemically-induced coma and wake up in December... or freeze yourself... or time travel.

I'm just saying, there are options.

No thanks lol.I rather watch some good classic martial arts,action,sci-fi,revenge movies until PWZ come out :)

JUST FOR YOU NOMAD:

Here's the June 13, 2005 script review of Jonathan Hensleigh's The Punisher: Warzone...

"Jonathan Hensleigh's sequel, called The Punisher: War Zone (which was a Punisher comic title), is all about kicking ass and carnage. And to the people annoyed that the first film took place in Tampa, Florida – almost every scene of The Punisher: War Zone is in New York City!

Almost every scene except the first one. The movie opens in Texas. Why? Just so we can see Frank kick some ass, setting up the more violent tone of this sequel. And it’s almost a Western scene. Frank Castle didn’t work when set in Tampa, but he definitely works in a Western setting!

But Frank ends up in New York City pretty quickly, and he immediately creates a vacuum in the mob power structure when he invades Don Cesare’s 100th birthday party. The new no-nonsense Castle is in fine form here:

Frank Castle emerges with a duffle bag and a 1911 Colt. He calmly puts a slug in Don Cesare’s head...

Swifty Lazar Capo: "You just shot an unarmed 100 year old man!!!"

Castle: "I don’t discriminate."

Castle shoots the Swifty Lazar Capo in the head and continues out the club’s rear door.

That’s the fourth killing, and it’s the ninth page. But if that body count isn’t enough, Frank ups the ante a few pages later, in a scene fans of Garth Ennis' run on the comic will remember:

The Capos pour into the courtyard. A Capo hears a "click" and looks down. His foot has triggered a CLAYMORE MINE.

An EXPLOSION rips through the first wave of Capos, cutting them to ribbons with 3000 steel ball bearings.

The surviving Capos squint into the smoke.

A fusillade of bullets sprays across the courtyard, mincing the Capos into hamburger.

Castle emerges firing a CHAIN GUN from the hip.

It’s a bloodbath. The Capos, riddled, go down like dominos.

Castle reloads and keeps firing. Just to be sure.

It’s relentless.

Yes it is! And it’s good! This is what Punisher fans were waiting for, a slightly psychopathic Frank Castle killing bad guy after bad guy.

With all the heads of the Mafia dead, a power struggle begins, but a young and handsome mafiosa steps up and fills the gap. Comic fans will know just who he is when later on in the film Frank Castle ruins his pretty boy looks – Jigsaw.

There’s also a subplot with a female FBI agent who is trying to take Frank down. It’s sort of boring, but necessary, since you need to have someone with humanity to keep the film from just turning into Faces Of Death. There’s another subplot with a priest who calls himself "The Holy" who has flipped his lid and starts killing people who come to confession. That’s also from a Garth Ennis comic, but it’s really useless here.

I won’t give away some of the cool kills, although I will say my favorite had two guys locked in a cage and dropped into the bay. The battle at the end of the first Punisher movie was the strongest part, and the same is here in The Punisher: War Zone, as Frank takes on Jigsaw and his seemingly unkillable bodyguard in a closed Wal-Mart. It’s a fight that takes advantage of everything you could find in a super-store, from bows and arrows to barbeque utensils!

The Punisher: War Zone is the intense and violent story of a crazy man looking to bring some justice to the scum of the Earth. Hensleigh's draft for The Punisher: War Zone is a hard-R crowd pleaser."

Written by Latino Review's El Chavo.

Now, tell me the general concept and storyline in the review is not the one in the film.

Please tell me.

-TL

I have the Hensleigh script, Thomas, but to tell you the truth, I've never read it. I WILL, Sugar, just for you. ;)

Nomad

I've read the Hensleigh script.

It was an equal mix of good and bad. The priest sub-plot blew. Castle was almost relegated to a background character at times. The fight scenes with Pittsy was... just weird.

There were a few decent scenes, and Castle was written well, but he coulda been utilized so much better.

The Holy and the other two morons were some of my favorite parts of Welcome Back Frank.

-TL

Well, the other two weren't in the script. It was just the Holy, and it wasn't done particularly well. It just seemed shoe horned in there. Another scene was a copy of the Daredevil/Sniper scene, but it's just done weird here.

There are scenes that are decent, like when Frank allows himself to get arrested and he uses the opportunity to murder a pedophile in the police station, and the part where he's making his way West. But there were just some odd things Hensleigh did that I didn't care for. Nothing dumb like the fire hydrant, but it was a bunch of little things. The fight at the very end just reached levels of retardedness that I've never seen. Just excessive.

Please, don't mention the daredevil movie again, or Ghost rider. God those movies were almost as bad as Uwe Boll movies. I just hope this movie isn't complete crap, and we can at least get one sequel from it.

I liked Dardevil and Ghost Rider, but I admit that these films could have been much better, it was fun :P, but a little disappointing ... (Mark Steven Jonhson... :unsure:). I heard about a Ghost Rider 2 ! :blink: .

Against by the director's cut version of Dardevil is better than the cinema version (with an additional intrigue, and a additional of 30 minutes). About Ghost Rider, I appreciated the special effects.

Guest FADoss
Hensleigh clearly enjoyed going into the comics for source material.

-TL

Except for that whole Tampa thing...

And I read your description of Hensleigh's plot. The Punisher kills a bunch of mob people and is hunted by the law and meets Jigsaw. Ummm...that could be any number of stories. I don't think THAT proves the man is lying...at least not so neatly as you might have us believe.

Oh and the "punish the audience" line was the ridiculous banter I was referring to...you know...just aggravating stuff with no real contribution to your overall argument.

And no...I haven't read the Hensleigh script...and NO I don't plan on wasting my time reading something that isn't going to see the light of day.

But hey, if they copied Hensleigh's work like you say...then what's the problem with the script? Should be good then eh?

:)

More importantly though, I hope Steve doesn't get his hand slapped for commenting on the film here now that it is all over the net!!!

Fred

Nick Santora said,

August 17th, 2008

Nomad

Hey that means no stupid Hannibal Lecter reference that makes no sense at all.

The only thing that could be considered taken from Hensleigh's draft was the mansion massacre, but that was from the comics, and just made made it retarded.

i remember from the comics when frank when to rykers island and ran into jigsaw there, beat the crap out of him and teamed up with a mafia boss in order to break out of prison, which he did in the end....i always thought spun correctly thought would have made a cool punisher flick...

oh yeah....and the other thing i always thought that would be cool is if they asked people from a forum to give a brief idea of a plot and they went through and weeded through them all and had a screenwriter polish it up to a real script. that would be the ultimate fan based movie....of course there is probably so much red tape involved with something like that....but it still would be awesome...

Guest FADoss

You see THAT is one of the problems...

How many Punisher fans are there tha went and saw the 04 film?

Now how many OTHER folks?

I bet the second outweighs the first.

Now that ain't saying that you can't make a good film that appeals to both fans AND the public, but that when in doubt, please the public.

And I think it's funny that people say stuff like Gale underestimates the intelligence of film goers by things like cutting out the plot elements of the Hulk film or butchering backstory for War Zone.

Have you SEEN some of the movies the general public raves about? "Armaggedon" made BANK. And then movies that win the academy awards usually went to limited release or made not so impressive runs at the box office. The general film going public IS STUPID. Count yourselves in the elite folks.

Fred