The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

Nomad avoid the facts all you want.

The movie is gonna BLOW and you're gonna remember me saying this.

You're gonna remember the signs you had in front of you and that you avoided for who knows what reason.

You are in COMPLETE denial.

*Just for you I'm gonna start posting pics that match exact descriptions made by those reviews of the SHOOTING script.

So it begins...

-TL

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filming was said to have started on October 22, the writers strike began November 5, that's about a week into production. Changes were made within that 3 month period, again like I said they seem to be small, and have no real disruption to the plot or character motivations.

I would write about all the scenes in the trailer that mirror what's in the script, I'm lazy and not that good writing.

*Just for you I'm gonna start posting pics that match exact descriptions made by those reviews of the SHOOTING script.

So it begins...

-TL

Amuse yourself however you like, Thomas. It won't prove anything other than there are some things from the first draft that were retained.

Nomad

Guest AdminGuyX
what the hell are you expecting from a Punisher movie?

Are you saying we shouldn't ask for a well written film? :blink:

You can't be! ;)

I'm just busting your chops. If all you need is some body count in your Punisher movies, more power to you. I really do need more than that.

It's a fair question, what are we expecting? I thnk each of us posting in this thread should outline what we'd LOVE to see Frank Castle doing on screen.

Anybody else interested?

Then make your next post a good one, and make it all about FRANK CASTLE.

B)

Frank Castle has the potential to please both the younger action fan, and the older action fan who's been there and done that and need a good story and solid performances with their gunfire and explosions.

What I "expect" and what I would like to see is the character and the material taken seriously. I'd hope for a tense thrill ride, and a film that doesn't insult my intelligence along the way by being "shoot 'em up 2".

;)

As long as he has guns and shoots a lot of baddies, I'll be just fine.

Guns and body count are expected, yes, and that's certainly part of the character, but it's not all of the character. Not for me.

I'm not interested in spending 90 to 120 minutes of my time just watching guns and shooting. (well, I am actually I routinely spend 2 hours at the gun range, but that's very different)

All violence all day, slim story, I'll play a video game for that fix when I have them (not often).

After the first 10 minute action scene/setup I want a complex and interesting storyline with something in the film that surprises me in good ways, and stays with me after seeing the film. Characters, scenes, moments of story that resonate beyond an over the top action flick, like the comics have so many times for me.

Frank Castle should be portrayed as a smart and capable man, someone who owns you as soon as he walks into a room because he already knows you, he's studied you, and you're about to die. You don't have a chance unless he gives you one.

Castle is someone who is hard to kill, hard to capture, and not because his foes are inept, they shouldn't be inept. He's just ready for them.

Make sense?

I've already heard that he kills an undercover agent by "accident" in this one, and like I stated on page 12 or 13 (hahahaha) I don't like starting off the character on a mistake I feel he'd be unlikely to make.

I still have hope for the film.

YES, I do too, despite all the negative feelings, even my own negative feelings, I'm still ready to walk into the theater and see PUNISHER WAR ZONE!! Call me crazy (TL)

:)

Anyway, lets all chat about what we'd love to see in a Punisher flick.

Guest FADoss

So when Harry over at aintitcoolnews.com billed the 04 Punisher as the worst piece of dogshit of all time, barring the performances from Jane and a few others...is THAT the kind of positive reception you're talking about?

Or how about the fact that it only took a 28% positive rating at rottentomatoes.com citing the SAME thing.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1131721-punisher/

Just to be fair, a more fair review from Ebert and Roper:

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavist...subsec=punisher

And I hesitate to say that most of us here would be MUCH more fair with that film.

Not exactly the raving reviews you keep attaching to the film.

And TL, until December you won't KNOW anything about the film...other than what we've already seen. And you cannot discern from a few couple minute segments released as trailers that the script DIDN'T CHANGE ENOUGH.

I think you're complete negativism of toward the film is tainting your judgment. For some reason you've taken up a crusade against this film...and I have to say that I'm a bit appalled that your criticism of the colors etc for the film, which I didn't agree with, stopped the second Steve came on here. That seems a bit more spineless than my apologizing to Kevin.

Or, how about when Jane made some very fair statements about Ray...I don't see too much more Ray slamming out of you...

Now it's all about script...

Can someone PLEASE find a writer, so TL can move on to the NEXT battle to make sure everyone knows he thinks this film is going to be "shit".

Fred

Review to Film comparison #2:

"Anything it doesn't nab from the Adam West BATMAN seems to be plucked from Mark Goldblatt's 1989 Dolph Lundgren Punisher - like the film's opening sequence, in which an acquitted mobster returns to his mansion to celebrate with his boys, and is attacked by our old friend Frank.

I'm going to explain the film's utterly illogical opening sequence to you - then see if we can't fix it...which makes me a great big asshole.

The Punisher (Ray Stevenson) murders everyone in the house in the most ludicrous, implausible, and ill-conceived attack mission ever concocted for film - and that includes any of the set-pieces in Megaforce.

The Punisher kills the power to the house. The bodyguards stand around confused - until one tells another to flip the breakers back on lest the boss bust their balls. The dinner guests curse in Italian as Castle appears atop the table - resplendent in his GLOW IN THE DARK PUNISHER SKULL TACTICAL ARMOR...sticks a RED ROAD FLARE in a bowl of potatoes, and proceeds to close quarters-kill every man at the table, starting with Cesare. He slits the goombah geezer's throat, then proceeds to crawl the length of the table, snapping necks and stabbing guys along the way - and no doubt covering himself in food. Nothing is more bad-ass than a guy who just belly-crawled his way through fifteen yards of lobster bisque. Trust me. I speak from experience."

nomadbm2.gif

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT?

You tell me Nomad.

Fred, you are AMAZINGLY stubborn. Not a good quality.

-TL

To answer Paul, the Bradstreet hotel is in fact a tip of the hat to Tim Bradstreet. I remember reading it in an interview or something a long time ago, and it was mentioned in the earlier posts of this forum, but good luck finding it. This topic is HUGE :P.

What I want from a Punisher movie is a fair balance of action, story telling and character development. I also want to see what drives Frank, and I want to see how he plans his attacks. I really liked the Jane version alot, but I found it lacking as a Punisher movie. I know it was an origin story, but I would have liked a better villain, and a few more action scenes. I blame whoever hired Travolta. I find him to be way over rated, and they should have gotten someone else to play Joan. I wish Will Patton had played the bad guy. He was much more intimidating. I also wish that they stuck with the original origin. It really changed things for me. Still a great throw back to the old action movies, unlike a lot of the stylized, super fast kung fu type movies we get these days.

Just my opinion, and it is not there to offend anyone. Take it easy.

Filming was said to have started on October 22, the writers strike began November 5, that's about a week into production. Changes were made within that 3 month period, again like I said they seem to be small, and have no real disruption to the plot or character motivations.

I would write about all the scenes in the trailer that mirror what's in the script, I'm lazy and not that good writing.

I just checked my facts, and you're right about the date Mike. Filming began on OCTOBER 22, not September 22.

However, the first draft of 27 June was re-written in the interim between 27 June and 22 October....PLENTY of time, in spite of Thomas's assertion to the contrary.

Nomad

I just checked my facts, and you're right about the date Mike. Filming began on OCTOBER 22, not September 22.

However, the first draft of 27 June was re-weriiten in the interim between 27 June and 22 October....PLENTY of time, in spite of Thomas's assertion to the contrary.

Nomad

Yeah, and I've been constantly saying there have been changes, just no the massive kind you think. And like I've said before, Marcum & Holloway did a punch up to the script, changing and adding dialouge and fixing some action beats. The core of the story remains the same.

Some action beats were changed that's for sure, the opening mansion massacre doesn't appear to have Frank military crawling on the table and as Mr. Gainer confirmed to me in this thread the 'death by lobster' was cut out. And the chandelier spin, while still a bit groan educing, is a lot less fucking dumb than what was originally written (they had Castle spinning around on a chair that was pivoted on one leg, what the fuck was he in The Matrix).

Except it was better in Hensleigh's draft. But I guess they couldn't afford to do it like it was done in the comic.

AMEN.

I've said it many times, Hensleigh and Jane both wanted to make a GREAT and very DARK Punisher film.

It woulda been the closest The Punisher franchise would ever get to Dark Knight material.

Instead, we're getting Michael Dudikoff action.

-TL

The thing is Hensleigh first isn't up to snuff either. It has some good ideas in it, but there was plenty pointless and over the top stuff in it.

Though I liked the fact that at no point is Russo called Jigsaw in it, Alexander's draft just gives him that name in the most ham-fisted way, I really hope that that was one of the things that was changed in the rewrites.

Here's the June 13, 2005 script review of Jonathan Hensleigh's The Punisher: Warzone...

"Jonathan Hensleigh's sequel, called The Punisher: War Zone (which was a Punisher comic title), is all about kicking ass and carnage. And to the people annoyed that the first film took place in Tampa, Florida – almost every scene of The Punisher: War Zone is in New York City!

Almost every scene except the first one. The movie opens in Texas. Why? Just so we can see Frank kick some ass, setting up the more violent tone of this sequel. And it’s almost a Western scene. Frank Castle didn’t work when set in Tampa, but he definitely works in a Western setting!

But Frank ends up in New York City pretty quickly, and he immediately creates a vacuum in the mob power structure when he invades Don Cesare’s 100th birthday party. The new no-nonsense Castle is in fine form here:

Frank Castle emerges with a duffle bag and a 1911 Colt. He calmly puts a slug in Don Cesare’s head...

Swifty Lazar Capo: "You just shot an unarmed 100 year old man!!!"

Castle: "I don’t discriminate."

Castle shoots the Swifty Lazar Capo in the head and continues out the club’s rear door.

That’s the fourth killing, and it’s the ninth page. But if that body count isn’t enough, Frank ups the ante a few pages later, in a scene fans of Garth Ennis' run on the comic will remember:

The Capos pour into the courtyard. A Capo hears a "click" and looks down. His foot has triggered a CLAYMORE MINE.

An EXPLOSION rips through the first wave of Capos, cutting them to ribbons with 3000 steel ball bearings.

The surviving Capos squint into the smoke.

A fusillade of bullets sprays across the courtyard, mincing the Capos into hamburger.

Castle emerges firing a CHAIN GUN from the hip.

It’s a bloodbath. The Capos, riddled, go down like dominos.

Castle reloads and keeps firing. Just to be sure.

It’s relentless.

Yes it is! And it’s good! This is what Punisher fans were waiting for, a slightly psychopathic Frank Castle killing bad guy after bad guy.

With all the heads of the Mafia dead, a power struggle begins, but a young and handsome mafiosa steps up and fills the gap. Comic fans will know just who he is when later on in the film Frank Castle ruins his pretty boy looks – Jigsaw.

There’s also a subplot with a female FBI agent who is trying to take Frank down. It’s sort of boring, but necessary, since you need to have someone with humanity to keep the film from just turning into Faces Of Death. There’s another subplot with a priest who calls himself "The Holy" who has flipped his lid and starts killing people who come to confession. That’s also from a Garth Ennis comic, but it’s really useless here.

I won’t give away some of the cool kills, although I will say my favorite had two guys locked in a cage and dropped into the bay. The battle at the end of the first Punisher movie was the strongest part, and the same is here in The Punisher: War Zone, as Frank takes on Jigsaw and his seemingly unkillable bodyguard in a closed Wal-Mart. It’s a fight that takes advantage of everything you could find in a super-store, from bows and arrows to barbeque utensils!

The Punisher: War Zone is the intense and violent story of a crazy man looking to bring some justice to the scum of the Earth. Hensleigh's draft for The Punisher: War Zone is a hard-R crowd pleaser."

Written by Latino Review's El Chavo.

-TL

Anyway...this thread is REALLY starting to get old. Anyway we can bring December a bit early and just get this damed thing over with?

Fred

I agree, Fred. I'm even boring myself, so I'll finish on this, coz Thomas asked me a direct question, which was something like "what, exactly, has changed from the rough draft of 27 June?"

A rough draft is the same thing as an outline, Thomas. So I don't expect the broad outline of the story to change much. I DO expect that MANY changes were made because, for one thing, there are characters listed on IMDB that don't even exist in the first draft.

IF I were to tell you EXACTLY what changes were made, then I would have to do myself, Thomas, what I've asked YOU to do. I would have to reveal my sources. Not wanting to go there, I will simply say what I have been saying to you all along: post your OPINION all you like, but STOP reporting that opinion as FACT unless you are able to back it up by citing your source.

Otherwise, you're just like the rest of us (except Steve Gainer) and you don't KNOW anything.

Nomad

I agree, Fred. I'm even boring myself, so I'll finish on this, coz Thomas asked me a direct question, which was something like "what, exactly, has changed from the rough draft of 27 June?"

A rough draft is the same thing as an outline, Thomas. So I don't expect the broad outline of the story to change much. I DO expect that MANY changes were made because, for one thing, there are characters listed on IMDB that don't even exist in the first draft.

I would really take anything you see on IMDb as reliable, I mean you could go on the War Zone page and add some actor to it playing character X and chances are it'll pop up on it. Besides the only character I see on there that isn't in the script is Nicky Cavella, and like I said it's not reliable.

I would really take anything you see on IMDb as reliable, I mean you could go on the War Zone page and add some actor to it playing character X and chances are it'll pop up on it. Besides the only character I see on there that isn't in the script is Nicky Cavella, and like I said it's not reliable.

Budiensky is not in that script.

Nomad