The Punisher: WarZone

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The full details:

-Lexi Alexander is not officially off the project, but she has been pulled away from it at this point.

-The problems began after Lexi turned in a cut for the first trailer that was not to the studio’s liking. When confronted about it, Lexi’s reaction was “childish” and unpredictably erratic.

-Apparently she has been making negative comments on her own personal blog about the production, even going as far as to compare working with the studio to an episode of Hell’s Kitchen.

-Now when you go to LexiAlexander.com there is just a picture of the “See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil monkeys” and her blog entries have been removed.

-Currently, producer Gale Ann Hurd is spearheading an effort to get the film re-cut and make it more presentable for its release on December 5.

-Reportedly Hurd has brought in the editing team of The Incredible Hulk (which includes Rick Shaine, Vincent Tabaillon and John Wright).

-While it is clear that Marvel is gung-ho about delivering a quality product to the big screen in December, if the production cannot be salvaged it could lead to a straight to DVD release.

"So Lexi, why do I have to wear this wig again?...Oh that's right! This is the scene we're shooting without cameras."

dom2xr6.jpg

-TL

Is it just me, or did that Comic Con footage just disgust you too?

I was excited for this movie to come out..... finally new Punisher, finally a comic villain..... but Jebus! What's with all the head explosions and the face break-ins? As my girlfriend pointed out, it just looked excessive. This is exactly the kind of stuff I can't deal with on the big screen. It was grotesque. I think I can easily say now, that I won't be seeing this movie. It's one thing to see art and comics of violence, but once it gets visualized onto the big screen like that, and all the blood squirting out, then I can't stomach that. Maybe I'm a weakling you say shouldn't be a Punisher fan, but..... it just looks bad. I certainly hope it gets recut. It would be the first Marvel Comics movie I won't see on the big screen if it doesn't.

Am I alone on this?

Guest FADoss

I loved the footage. It is going to be a REAL Punisher movie. Wiley Coyote meets SAW with dark vigilante underpinnings. I LOVE IT. :) And Golgotha, thanks for the article. PROFESSIONALISM gets tossed to the window when hiding behind the keyboard and it is a luxury one cannot afford in the film business...especially when critiquing one's BOSSES!!!!

And since when did directors start cutting their own trailers???

Fred

Sometimes I really do miss the good 'ol days before the internet.

Guys, ladies . . . One thing is for sure, you are not getting the whole story no matter what happens, not until the smoke clears anyway, and even then? Who's to say who's right and who's wrong?

Before the internet we were never privy to this kind of news, nor the ultra violent trailers, the comics panels being streamed straight away, or the other myriad bits of things we're fed - All examined under our "expectation microscopes".

Conjecture and rushing to conclusions is the rule of the day.

I recommend you sit back and wait for the movie to come out.

Then you can let your emotions do a rain dance.

That ain't gonna happen though.

Hell, half of the drama anymore is wrapped up in premature internet speculation these days.

This particular story has been steeped in drama since the initial delay in getting it off the ground. Then with Hensleigh getting cut loose, followed by Jane seeing his own signs of doom. There was drama in spades when all that happened. It seems like this film has been battling the odds since day one. Enter a new director and a new star, the deck is stacked against them from the beginning. Fickle feedback from the internet seems to make a rather deep impression, and sometimes I think it's taken way to seriously by the studios. It's one thing to make a conscience decision to create a film with the base audience in mind. But it's quite another thing to let internet opinion sway creative decisions after the fact, to the Nth degree, and when I say that, I'm talking about comic based films in general.

We know what we'd like to see but rarely do all of us agree on everything. So how much credence should our wants and desires warrant? There was a day when filmmakers simply did their jobs without the whole world looking over their shoulder, and it worked just fine ;)

All I'm saying is let's not jump to conclusions.

There could be a very good reason that the studios have allegedly stepped in and taken the film out of the artist's hands. And I honestly doubt it has anything to do with the violence in question. As someone else indicated, they would not have promoted those scenes at comicon were that the case. I also think it's safe to say that the level of violence was agreed on by all parties from the get-go.

Conversely, it is completely possible that Alexander has allegedly been forced aside for what we might consider to be unfair circumstances, that the studios in question are taking the creative direction out of the very hands of the people who were hired to breathe life into this film. And people, this has happened thousands of times, THOUSANDS.

We actually know very little. The rest is grey area, and we're left to fill in the blanks. As such, it's easy to let emotion rule your opinion.

The one fact that is clear is that we do not know the circumstances, nor the motivation behind these recent events.

Until someone steps forward to offer an official explanation we can only speculate.

Time will tell.

- TB

PS - To interested parties - I'll post my thoughts on Comicon, Marvel Signing, RAW booth shenanigans, the force of nature that is Tom Jane, the coolness of Todd Farmer, meeting Ray, the Mutant Chronicles screening, and other craziness in the "San Diego Comicon Appearance" thread sometime tonight.

I still want a movie score throughout the whole film dammit! No METAL.

The internet really fucked shit up for fans without us even knowing it. I remember being a kid without a computer and then I saw trailers on TV for movies and used to think "that's awesome, I can't wait to see it." I used to tell people after seeing the trailer on tv "did you know that they're coming out with a Street Fighter movie?" These days before a film is hitting principal photography I'm already like "did you know that they're gonna start filming Transformers 2 in June?"

Then the plot gets released, and the cast gets released and then we all get judgmental wayyyyy to soon. I myself am like this. Why? Because of the internet. I miss the old days. But then again, I like knowing things ahead of time too.

-Raffi

Mike if you're lookin for a serious Punisher film - you are gonna hate this.

If you like 80s action - you are gonna love this.

You're kinda young to embrace macho cheese, so I won't blame you if you fuckin hate this thing.

I haven't seen you post up love for the Kings Of The 80s in the thread, so yeah.

If Lexi had just done an interview a year ago and said "I'm making a Chuck Norris/Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie" I woulda been the film's biggest supporter and not the monster antagonist most people know me as.

-TL

when did you go crazy?

I'm lookin forward to that western you're doing about going in circles.

-TL

that's what you be doin now, goin in circles. they scratched up the film and toned down the print, which does make it better lookin an the violence is over the top and clown, and it's got vibe. but if you box a rat's ears and rattle him around in a coffee can for a while that rat will have vibe too - for about 90 secs. but you still got damaged rat. the LG has tight tricks but terminal.

For me, this sequel is not interesting.

Frank Castle was Thomas Jane, a point that's all, it's my opinion.

Ray Stevenson is probably a good actor (I've never seen "Rome"), but for me it has no interest.

I wanted a new duet "Thomas Jane - Jonathan Hensleigh".

So that's for sure, I will not go see this movie ! -_-

Guest FADoss

I think everyone here wanted more Tom Jane. I think anyone who spends their time posting on the man's board and DOESN'T want more TOM should really get their priorities aligned.

However, I am hoping that this will be a good film in spite of everything that the studio has seemingly done to flush it down the toilet.

Fred

I think everyone here wanted more Tom Jane.

Probably, but I wanted to say that.

Guest FADoss

In a perfect world, War Zone would fall on it's face AND the studio would realize it's errors and bring Jane back...preferably(and in my opinion only) without Hensleigh. Unfortunately, if this film fails...I don't see Castle making any appearances on the big screen...

Maybe some direct to DVD sequels...

MAYBE a cable network TV series...like Blade...

Or maybe just death for the franchise until some Nolanesque bad motherfucker comes along to reboot 10 years from now.

Oh and TL, this film IS going to be like "Last Man Standing". Guy...shoots a bunch of people while on a vengeance spree. Nothing worthy of an academy award. Nothing where you praise performances to your friends. Just something fun...which is all I ever thought War Zone could be.

As for a potential perfect world director...I'd have to recommend David Cronenberg. Though he would probably have Viggo Mortensen for FC over Tom Jane. I could see Viggo pulling it off.

Fred

Fred