The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

Wow, I just read that article and I am so glad I am not in that crazy business. From what little I've read, Lexi always said it would be a very violent and bloody movie. And Lionsgate says they want to market it hardcore? Apparently she wasn't hardcore enough? There must have been some interesting discussions in the editting room. This seems to be aimed at a niche market of 18-25 year old males who are into blood and metal. (Hey, isn't that most of you guys?)

I may end up watching it for the cinematography with the volume muted. On DVD.

k-skye

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The film may survive the manhandling, but will not be the film that lovers of Garth Ennis and Tim Bradstreet are hoping for."

Its pretty obvious Lexi wasn't making an IRON MAN (somewhat serious) or a Dark Knight (Oscar worthy).

This was a bold move by a relatively unknown film maker to bring back a genre that most probably inspired the notion of MAX comics.

LGF most probably influenced by the above titles, is gonna find a way to make this more appealing to the morons that badmouth 80s action.

-TL

Wow, I just read that article and I am so glad I am not in that crazy business. From what little I've read, Lexi always said it would be a very violent and bloody movie. And Lionsgate says they want to market it hardcore? Apparently she wasn't hardcore enough? There must have been some interesting discussions in the editting room. This seems to be aimed at a niche market of 18-25 year old males who are into blood and metal. (Hey, isn't that most of you guys?)

I may end up watching it for the cinematography with the volume muted. On DVD.

k-skye

I like my metal and I like my gore, but I prefer to hear actual scores for films. Not crappy metal bands.

There's like the first 12 seconds in that music video, that's just synth and it totally reminded me of those crappy '80s synth scores in a lot action movies. They probably should have scored the whole video like that.

I also thought there were pieces of that song that had very 80s tones.

Lexi even got Chris Franke (Universal Soldier) to do the score.

Hollywood is too fuckin predictable.

You try to do something different, something nostalgic, and they shit all over you.

Like what they did to Hensleigh by chopping his movie in half and putting a skull of fire in it.

MARVEL's PG-13 Civil War movie is Castle's next stop,

-TL

Guest FADoss

So we took out the score and put in HEAVY METAL. Doesn't indicate that they'll cut the gore. If I had to guess, I'd say Lexi made a hardcore badass flick and then wanted to score it like an art film.

Lionsgate has other plans and will probably make a better film.

Fred

Oh fuck me.

This is depressing. I can't believe it.

The Punisher has been handled by three shitty studios, first New World, then Artisan, and finally LGF.

The Punisher has been helmed by two shitty directors (yes, this is what I think of Hensleigh as a director) and than finally, Lexi Alexander - a glimmer of hpe, the first director to seemingly understand the charather and actually want to do the source material justice - and the final shitty studio gives her the boot. I cannot believe it.

How fucking stupid can they possibly be???

The character is jinxed.

1989 - Dolph gets hired to play Castle in a classic macho cheese fest, but Hollywood turns gay and decides guys like Dolph are shit and 80s action is stupid so the franchise gets axed.

2004 - Hensleigh and Jane (both big time haters of Dolph's movie) try to make Castle a serious character by shooting a 70s crime drama, but the purists complain about Tampa and the fire hydrant so LGF decides $35 Million isn't what an "R" rated movie should gross at the Box Office and that franchise gets axed.

2008 - Lexi is given a shit script to direct so she decides to make it into a genre piece by channeling 80s action and pushing the gore, but LGF feels the movie should be more serious regardless of the terrible script and completely shits all over her non-serious approach by firing her.

What happens next?

Paul Walker gets hired to play a PG-13 Castle that only has a few scenes in an AVENGERS movie sequel.

-TL

*Fred, what weed are you on man? You think the score is the only thing LGF is putting their hands on?

They're going to butcher this and turn into crap any way they can, as long as they think it will make a few dollars more. I hate those suit wearing bastards. I have to go to the gym now and get rid of some this negative energy before I snap and kill my neighbors for playing that damn teeny bop crap music next door.

Well...this fucking sucks!!! Now when this movie comes out...if it sucks, we will never know what Lexi would have done with it and if it would have been better. I really hope the only major change being made is with the music. I am still hoping for the best for this movie...the Punisher deserves a franchise.

Believe it or not, high hopes may be responsible for this turn of events with Lexi.

People kept making Warzone out to be something it wasn't (a serious film) and when Lexi challenged that with some cool gory "B" action, those people started complaining.

Some of those people (if not all of them) run LGF.

-TL

Guest FADoss

Well I guess I could jump to a bunch of fucking conclusions like everyone else. I find it funny that not long ago you lambasted Lexi as a "nobody" and now you see it as a travesty that LGF has let her go. Make up your mind!

As for the soundtrack...I think the metal fits with the kill spree nature of this film...the sheer violent nature of it. Again, sounds like the SCORE didn't fit the film. I seriously doubt LGF is going to tone it down after SHOWING ALL THIS FOOTAGE AT COMICON...APPARENTLY ALREADY AFTER LEXI WAS BOMBED OUT. I mean NOTICE THE MUSIC ON THE FOOTAGE.

Jumping to the conclusion that they are toning down the violence is ABSURD at this point given the EVIDENCE of comicon.

OH, and when did I compare this fucking thing to DARK KNIGHT? I notice you dropped MY name in there. I may have only compared it saying that it would be a film that captured the COMIC BOOK aspects of the character. That was TRUE to the character...and successful. I never said I expected it to be...or WANTED IT TO BE...a serious film. As a matter of fact I think a few pages back you were accusing me of wanting a "kiddy movie with no violence". I mean WTF TL. I LOVE YA!

Fred

Posted by Frederic Doss:

"I'd like to see a Last Man Standing Punisher film. THAT would be something. Hopefully we get more of that with Warzone."

Fred, obviously Lexi didn't meet your expectations.

But after seeing the SDCC footage - she completely won me over.

She made an 80s movie. Something Dolph would do.

That song used in the music video has a great deal of 80s lure in it, so I'm pretty convinced Lexi had a great deal to do with it.

Now, read this for a minute...

"The film may survive the manhandling, but will not be the film that lovers of Garth Ennis and Tim Bradstreet are hoping for."

Tell me what it is about that statement from AICN that seems to be an "Absurd conclusion" to you.

Lexi found the ONLY way to make Warzone's crapola script watchable and entertaining - she went the cheese route and alotta movies done that way these days have been very fun to watch (SLITHER).

If LGF tries to make this thing "serious" they're ruining a great attempt to revive a fallen genre.

The score getting axed is the least of our problems now.

-TL

I wonder if this movie will become an Alan Smithee film.

I said the same thing over at IMDb. This new bit of information has me pissed and worried at the same time. I love metal music... good metal music. Not this new shit that gave me a headache in the War Zone music video. I hope Lions Gate hears our cries and decides they're a group of idiots.

Everyone probably should have figured something was up when she didn't even know that a teaser trailer was released. I dson't know much about the industry, but aren't most directors told about or even get to cut their own trailers?

Not all directors can do that.

The studio responsible for distribution usually has the authority on Trailers.

Nolan actually became pretty involved with the Dark Knight Trailers AFTER the SDCC footage spoiled Two Face.

He focused his Trailers purely on Ledger's Joker.

I'm pretty sure Lexi and Steve Gainer had something to do with the SDCC music video.

She did mention the first Teaser was surprisingly made by working around the gore - something she had trouble doing.

The Teaser Trailer is all LGF and Marvel. The "R" Trailer smells like Lexi.

-TL

The more shit I read, the angrier I get. 2 main reasons for this:

1. Score. The Punisher is a character that a movie score belongs to. You don't add metal to his killing spree. You put a kick ass score with it. Christopher Franke had a sweet Universal Soldier score and I was pretty satisfied after I found out who he was when I read he was hired in for the film's music. Why fuck with that? It pisses me off. You play metal music for "American badass" types of characters I think. Castle is nowhere near an American badass. He's an Italian American from New York. He doesn't belong in that genre of music. This is my opinion. Feel free to digress because if you side with the metal music I would like to hear why. No hard feelings, just interested in why you think it belongs with this character. In fact put it this way...... I don't think ANY Marvel character should have a metal soundtrack or any type of lyric oriented soundtrack throughout the films. Making a soundtrack on the side is cool like they did for Punisher. I think that throughout Marvel movies, there should only be a SCORE.

2. Gore. Leave it the fuck alone. Don't scale back anything.

-Raffi