The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, who knows if she's read them. Most likely she did. In her position I certainly would have.

Here's my take for anyone who is interested.

I think that the panel in question is likely one of many that were scanned and altered by someone on the production.

An altered tweak to illustrate the colors that they wanted to employ in the film.

Otherwise, where did Lexi get access to this seemingly one of a kind variant?

Mind you, this is complete speculation.

- TB

That's a good idea.

Flipping through the comics and maybe a panel here or there employs that sort of coloring in it, like I said the comic isn't completely like it though. So, I just don't get why they decided to base the lighting off of a few panels from the comic.

Mike opinions in the form of attacks.

They joined RAW specifically to come to this thread and start shit.

Around here, that behavior will not be tolerated.

-TL

Indeed they did. Specifically to jump all over your posts. It seems your quite the celebrity there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450314/board/flat/111866841?p=1

They had no intention of adding anything positive to these boards.

And I quote, "lets mob this mofo, he wont even respond haha"

Guest AdminGuyX

I would hate to see this start spreading from board to board guys. I say just ignore the IMDB crowd, I think we saw through it anyway as soon as they showed up.

Guest FADoss
Mike opinions in the form of attacks.

They joined RAW specifically to come to this thread and start shit.

Around here, that behavior will not be tolerated.

-TL

TL, you are the LAST fucking guy to be the attitude police. And I love ya, but you ARE and asshole. :P

You keep things interesting though.

And now your an imdb celebrity!!!

Fred

Looking at the IMDb thread, this does raise a question.

The '04 movie was filmed in Tampa not because it was vital to the story, but because they couldn't afford anything else. War Zone somehow managed to shoot in urban locations in Canada, not bad for "half the budget"...

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently there was more freedom shooting in Florida than in Canada.

There’s no possible way you could shoot the script that I wrote in Toronto for $13 million. There’s just no way. You couldn’t shoot it in an urban environment with city lockdown. I don’t know if you’re aware of what’s required to lock down an urban environment, but the costs are extraordinary. The reason why Tampa was chosen was because Tampa wanted to incite film production in its city. So they basically allowed us to do anything and allowed us to do it for free. So Tampa PD became kind of our second ADs. We said to the mayor’s office and the film commission, “Hey we want to shut down the entire downtown between the hours of seven am and six pm on the weekdays” with just 48 hours notice. They said “Sure. Go ahead.” It could be done in Toronto but it would be eight times the cost.

I would hate to see this start spreading from board to board guys. I say just ignore the IMDB crowd, I think we saw through it anyway as soon as they showed up.

Hey, just so you all know. Yes, I am part of the IMDB crowd...I didn't even know this board existed until today. The reason I came over and posted was to clear up some of the misconceptions about War Zone. It really doesn't matter to me if you are looking forward to seeing this movie or not...I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether I agree with it or not. On the other hand, I think people need to make sure that if they are presenting "facts" that they are fact. There are many places to find the info out there.

TL just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a moron....it just means they have a different opinion; and opinions are not a right or wrong issue. I know, as does everyone here, that you are not looking forward to War Zone...that's cool. You have to understand that there are many people who are looking forward to it. Is it possible that this movie will suck...yeah. I will wait until I see it though...until then I hope they make a kick ass new Punisher film that I will enjoy watching. Anyway, I will be seeing y'all around. I have been checking out some other threads...it's pretty cool. I'm sure I will be posting on some of them from time to time.

Guest FADoss

Hey MAT, there were plenty of us already on the board who have been arguing with TL for sometime about his "opinions". Not to be exclusive, but we really don't need people from over at IMDB firing from the hip and coming over here to RESCUE us from our ignorance.

I think if you go back and read the WHOLE thread you'll find a lot of positive hope for the film.

And also, as this is a forum for fans of Thomas Jane...in a way, expect to see some bias support toward him here (something the imdb thread seems to NOT realize). I don't think TL has eve bothered to go to the Ray Stevenson forum and call them all losers for being his fans.

So, please stay and look around at some of the other threads here. Lots of cool stuff! But if you came here to HELP in the opposition to TL's dislike of War Zone...we're doing fine without ya. You can always rag on him over at the imdb thread.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX
Hey, just so you all know. Yes, I am part of the IMDB crowd

Yes, and you know I appreciate you posting that. I really didn't mean to make that general and blanket of a statement a page after welcoming everyone.

I apologize.

I would just hate to see this erupt into some kind of odd message board war. Us vs. them and all that, and really I meant "Lets not gang up on them over there" when I posted "ignore them". I hope that makes sense.

Not ignore them here. :)

There are plenty of us here who just love this board to pieces, so I could see this going from touch football to full contact pretty easily.

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here so bear with me a bit as this may be a bit lengthy. I'm Steve Gainer, the cinematographer of PWZ, and I would like to address a few of the questions/comments that seem to constantly be coming up about our film.

First of all, I wish to say I think Tim is a wonderful artist, his images have captured the attention of many who would never have known about Frank Castle, and for that we can be very grateful, I am, and thanks Tim for allowing me to post here.

The yellow light everyone keeps mentioning, which is seen a lot in the teaser, is just an interpretation of the sodium vapour lights that currently are being used in a majority of cities in the US, NYC included. Is it a bit more intense than what occurs in reality? Well I tend to think of it as being a heightened reality, much like the Max comic is.

Please remember, what most people seem to be forming their opinions on are a minute snippet of images, that someone I've never met, chose from hours of footage, to help create a buzz for the film. It seems that strategy might be working, for like it or hate it, it has gotten everyone talking, hasn't it?

In actuality, there are scenes that are blue, red, green, orange, even purple, because as I have mentioned elsewhere, Lexi and I wanted to emulate the style of the Max series. If you are a fan of that series (and I know most of you are) watching the movie should make you feel as if you've been transported into the pages of any of those issues. That is what I hope for anyway. I know that some of you have said that a comic book movie doesn't have to look exactly like the page in order to convey the character, true enough. It is however, the direction we chose. We worked very hard for six months to try and give a broad audience a great theatre experience. While there are those of you who wish that we had stripped the image down and simply shown Frank as he is, a vet in a grimy dirty environment, I hope you will go to the theatre with an open mind and see what we have accomplished. It is in fact quite a striking film, and Frank Castle is a mean mo-fo. My hope is that Frank will become a more popular character because of this film, and hopefully, we will get more Punisher movies made.

The fact that you see lots of the sodium color in the teaser, is due to the decision to show a few of the action sequences. (and I do mean a small amount of the total) Many of those happen to have occured in the locations where the sodium look was prevalent, ie: exterior, inside factories, etc. The fact is only a portion of the entire film is in this color.

Neither Lexi or I have any control over what they use in trailers, we certainly have favorite scenes that are not in this teaser, (and at least one that we wish hadn't been) so in this instance, it it not very easy to judge the entire movie, or especially the incredible acting from a bunch of dis-jointed action scenes.

The colored frames from Lexi's blog were sent to us directly from Marvel. They very kindly sent us hundreds, so we didn't have to damage our copies in order to create reference books for everyone. Did we double check every frame with the actual comic? No. We relied on the source to provide accurate representations. Why are they diferent? We will probably never know.

The budget I saw for our film was $35 million US.

We shot 3 days and 38 nights in Montreal Canada, and Vancouver due to the heavy snow in Montreal.

I really hope you enjoy the film as much as we did making it.

Thanks for letting me comment.

Steve Gainer, ASC

You know what really pisses me off is that those dumb mother fuckers at IMDB are raggin on Tom about this Warzone shit. I've become really close friends with TL through this forum. The thing they don't fuckin realize is that the ONLY fuckin thread that Tommy butts heads with people on is the Warzone thread. Yes we know everyone has their own opinion and not to be soo fuckin harsh with your opinions and avoid attacking, but can anybody find another thread in this forum that TL goes crazy on? It's a rare fuckin occasion elsewhere. I say let him have his opinion and if need be, let him be an asshole. He can support himself.

If you got an opinion that you believe in soo much and that your support can't be proven wrong then YOU are not wrong. It gets fuckin political at this point and I fuckin hate politics. For those of you who enjoy politics, I mean no disrespect. Bottom line though. This is a RAW forum, not a Warzone forum. Those dickheads at IMDB are too fuckin ignorant and lack an open mind to understand otherwise. Fuck them. I myself am a member of the boards at IMDB but I spend a minimal amount of time there. I thought about going over there and tuning their asses up but I decided to be the better man and let it go as I suggest this to everyone else on this board. Let them be the lesser person. The one who walks away from the scuffle wins in my opinion. Thomas is a fighter though and I don't gotta problem with that. He always get's on my ass when I try to be the passive fighter. It is what it is though. Fuck em, let them do them and let us do us. Bada boom, bada bing

Peace and love bitches ;) ,

Raffi

The fact that you see lots of the sodium color in the teaser, is due to the decision to show a few of the action sequences. (and I do mean a small amount of the total) Many of those happen to have occured in the locations where the sodium look was prevalent, ie: exterior, inside factories, etc. The fact is only a portion of the entire film is in this color.

Neither Lexi or I have any control over what they use in trailers, we certainly have favorite scenes that are not in this teaser, (and at least one that we wish hadn't been) so in this instance, it it not very easy to judge the entire movie, or especially the incredible acting from a bunch of dis-jointed action scenes.

The colored frames from Lexi's blog were sent to us directly from Marvel. They very kindly sent us hundreds, so we didn't have to damage our copies in order to create reference books for everyone. Did we double check every frame with the actual comic? No. We relied on the source to provide accurate representations. Why are they diferent? We will probably never know.

Steve Gainer, ASC

Well, I am glad to hear the whole movie won't look yellow, no offense I just don't feel it.

As for the colors, I guess unless someone from Marvel wants explain it, it'll just remain a mystery.

Also, welcome to the RAW boards.

Well, TL...

You were wrong about the budget.

Ha!

I've said this before, but I actually like the lighting. It gives it a more unique look then most action films.

What I AM angry about though is... I live in Vancouver, and I wanted to see them filming, AND I NEVER KNEW THEY WERE FILMING IN VANCOUVER.

I thought it was all in Montreal.

Also, to the new guys attempting to argue with TL... just don't bother. You have no idea how many hours we've wasted attempting (and continuing) to debate with the guy.

He's very passionate about his beliefs. So much so that he will pretty much eviscerate you if you look at him wrong... I am pretty sure he actually does have some sort of built-in weaponry ala Wolverine claws.

Me, I am looking forward to Warzone. It's one of my most anticipated films. I am an optimistic guy. I'm not a cold, disillusioned bastard like TL ^_^

Tom sometimes gets his facts wrong, and sometimes he gets them right, just like everybody else.

I think what he's looking for is more worthy opponents like Fred and so on. You guys should provide that, though you're more likely to just become cannon fodder.

Not saying it to scare you off. This is a great place where people really know their shit. And most of the guys here are actually nice. Even TL (when it's not about PWZ and if you can back up your argument).

Also, page 63 is hilarious because of all the mod edits.

Also, Mr. Gainer, welcome to the RAW boards. I'm not trying to kiss your ass or anything, but I really do think the lighting looks cool.

Ha, I didn't know about those mod edits. Apparently the one was calling TL and asshole. So, I'm an ass.

Also, I thought War Zone had more shooting days then The Punisher, if 50 days on the last movie was tight, 41 on this one must've kinda sucked.

Ok, so according to Mr. Gainer:

-The film is still very colorful.

-The movie took less days to shoot than the last film but cost more.

-The source material used was inaccurate.

Its safe to say that no matter how it is put, LGF had to squeeze this one out quick. Apparently it cost them a little more to get it done though.

Now I fully understand why Hensleigh was getting $70 Million (Twice the budget of Warzone) to shoot in ACTUAL NYC for 3-4 months.

What a great film THAT woulda been.

Instead we're getting "Yellow, blue, red, green, orange, and even purple" scenes in a movie that isn't as real as The Shield or Narc.

-TL

Ok, so according to Mr. Gainer:

-The film is still very colorful.

Nothing wrong with that for me, because even if it has sodium lighting, it still has a dark feel.

-The movie took less days to shoot than the last film but cost more.

You can still have good films done in 40 days. Maybe they used time efficiently. And by cost more... it had a bigger budget then the last one, one that hadn't had a huge amount wasted by Travolta's salary... that actually went towards production of the film.

-The source material used was inaccurate.

I wouldn't say it's inaccurate. Same situations, characters, dialogue, just some weirdly saturated frames that came from MARVEL ITSELF.

Its safe to say that no matter how it is put, LGF had to squeeze this one out quick. Apparently it cost them a little more to get it done though.

How do you know? Do you work at LGF or Marvel? LGF gets movies out quick anyway. The Saw films are... well, ok (first one was good, second was ok, third was... well, retarded), and they're done for a low budget and are done quick and make a good profit. Besides, 35 million is a better budget then the last one, and the budget is from the beginning. 35 million is not the cost that overran the initial budget.

Now I fully understand why Hensleigh was getting $70 Million (Twice the budget of Warzone) to shoot in ACTUAL NYC for 3-4 months.

How do you know he was getting 70 million? Where did you get this fact from? NYC's an expensive city. Could he even make it on that budget for 3-4 months in NYC? Come on.

What a great film THAT woulda been.

Instead we're getting "Yellow, blue, red, green, orange, and even purple" scenes in a movie that isn't as real as The Shield or Narc.

Venom. What's wrong with just maybe having some optimism that it COULD come out well done. You are so prejudiced about it man. Dude, I thought prejudice went out of style in the 70s. :angry::P

-TL

What a day I've had. A tooth cracks straight up into my jaw, so I have to go to the dentist who has to pull it out because there's no way to save it. Then I come home with gauze in my mouth and read this thread today! It had actually gotten sort of quiet around here lately. So glad the IMDb clones came in to posts basically identical posts repeatedly with the express purpose of annoying you-know-who. Well done! (I'm being facetious.)

You guys should provide that, though you're more likely to just become cannon fodder.

I had the very same thought.

Hopefully, they will find other things of greater interest to post about in other threads.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to all the pretty colors. :P

kwiat_skye