The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

Warzone is such a letdown.

Sometimes I honestly can't believe this is where the franchise went after Hensleigh's film.

If 4 years ago someone told me the next Punisher movie was gonna star a bunch of nobodies, was gonna be directed by another nobody and was gonna be made to look like something Joel Schumaker would concoct, I would think that someone was joking.

I was only 10 when Batman Forever came out so I guess I didn't bitch about it as much. I still hated it though.

This shoulda been a step up from the last one. Fuck that - 10 STEPS.

-TL

I was just watching Batman Forever... what a terrible... terrible film.

Thank God for Christopher Nolan and Aaron Eckhart.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that baffles me so much is Lions Gate turning away Walter Hill, which apparently was the last straw for Jane according to a Fangoria Radio interview.

I'm with fine with the cast, they're all good actors, big or not. It all really falls on the director, look at the prequels, they're filled with great actors doing bad performances.

This movie will be ultra violent, so in a sense it is a step up from the first in that respect, and most fans are gonna fine with that. Though I will say, that a scene like Ben Foster getting tortured in the last movie is more unsettling than any amount of gore.

God my writing is so disjointed.

Batman Forever had all the signs that indicated it was gonna BLOW:

-Burton left because Warner Bros. wanted him to go lighter.

-Keaton left since Burton left.

-Marlon Wayans was cast as Robin. WTF???

-Danny Elfman was not asked to do the score.

Unlike Warzone, the cast (not including Wayans' original casting) was lookin pretty good, except for Keaton's absence.

Joel Schumaker directed my favorite Michael Douglas movie Falling Down - which actually inspired GTA: San Andreas.

Val Kilmer was great in everything prior to that film.

Tommy Lee Jones was fresh off his Best Supporting Actor Oscar for The Fugitive.

Nicole Kidman was hot.

I really didn't care for the concept of Robin and wasn't thrilled about funnyman Jim Carrey being involved. That alone was a sign to suggest the film would not be dark like the previous two.

What's funny is, that when I went to see the movie with my Mom, I had NO IDEA that Keaton was gone or that all those things were wrong with the film.

It was a fuckin shocker, I recall.

-TL

Guest FADoss
Warzone is such a letdown.

Sometimes I honestly can't believe this is where the franchise went after Hensleigh's film.

If 4 years ago someone told me the next Punisher movie was gonna star a bunch of nobodies, was gonna be directed by another nobody and was gonna be made to look like something Joel Schumaker would concoct, I would think that someone was joking.

I was only 10 when Batman Forever came out so I guess I didn't bitch about it as much. I still hated it though.

This shoulda been a step up from the last one. Fuck that - 10 STEPS.

-TL

Yeah and that film was directed by a somebody and starred a bunch of major players...and Jane was a nobody in a little film called "Thursday" I've heard you rave about. And who the fuck was Jackman before Wolverine? Nobody starts out big TJ. Every director has their "Sixth Sense". Every actor has their "Star Wars: A New Hope".

And this looks NOTHING like Schumacher's shit from the Batman films. A VERY harsh accusation from what little we have seen.

I am amazed that you managed to post about War Zone though. Good on ya...you bloody thread pirate. :P

Fred

And this looks NOTHING like Schumacher's shit from the Batman films. A VERY harsh accusation from what little we have seen.

Fred

I actually think that Schumacher Batman mixed with the filters they use on the SAW movies, is a better comparison.

Guest FADoss
Fred, I don't remember Jackman doing THIS in X1...

raystevenson23rb8.jpg

-TL

I don't remember Batman doing this in any of Schumacher's films. What's your point?

Fred

Fred, I don't remember Jackman doing THIS in X1...

raystevenson23rb8.jpg

-TL

Ice T from 3000 Miles to Graceland?!!! That's the same move. Except Ice Mother Fuckin' T was spinning around and sliding down a zip line, machine guns blazin'. ;)

Amy-

Ice T from 3000 Miles to Graceland?!!! That's the same move. Except Ice Mother Fuckin' T was spinning around and sliding down a zip line, machine guns blazin'. ;)

Ice T!! now there's a nick name for Thomas.

I was also thinkin' T-Bone or T-Rex or...

Mr. T

But I don't think he'll be into those- maybe peeping Tom-

or Raw Tom.

sveinx

I'm just kidding Mr. Jane.

Guest FADoss

Amy, something about you saying "Ice Mother Fuckin' T" just makes me feel all dirty. :P

Fred

I liked the '04 film with Jane. I throughly enjoyed it, Jane's performance was the best part of it in my opinion. I would have been more than satisfied with a sequel.

At the same time I have high hopes for this film. Stevenson looks almost dead on as a MAX-esque Frank Castle. Most of what I've seen, heard or read from the film I like. I thought the script was good (It's a different script from the one being used around the time of Jane's departure). I think the director is a fine choice, her first film had a lot of critical acclaim. True, the look they're going with is a bit different and the chandelier part was a bit goofy... but Frank has done some lots of goofy things in the past. I'm a fan of the '04 film, but first and foremost I'm a Punisher fan; I'm not going to condemn the films because of changes I didn't agree with. The changes that I once scoffed at I now understand and have come to accept.

Ok, so let me get this straight.

You have high hopes for a film with...

-Less than half the budget of the first film.

-A cast of virtual unknowns.

-A director who's only film is something you most definitely haven't watched.

-A script which is almost EXACTLY the same as the script that made Thomas Jane walk last May.

-A tone that more and more is letting us understand why Lexi Alexander said the film would not be as REALISTIC as The Shield or Narc.

-A shooting schedule so short that poor Ray Stevenson has smaller arms than Adrien Brody in the film.

-An assortment of MAX characters that will be most definitely wasted in the film.

I think its so sad when Punisher fans basically say "We'll take whatever you give us, whether its shit or not."

Almost as if being a Punisher fan is an excuse to one's self for putting up with bad material.

In this case sitting through a sloppy film.

I'm a Punisher fan. I own Everything Ennis and Bradstreet have done dating back to 1999.

That doesn't mean "I will now come to understand and accept the crap I see coming from this film."

-TL

I like the 04 one as well, and I think Jane is a very good actor. He was the only reason I watched the mist. And it seems you have incorrect information, Mr. Logan. The new script for War zone only has one scene from the script that Jane walked away from. That scene is how Jigsaw gets cut up. That's it. And as for the tone, it will be much darker then the 04 version, no goofy humor or neighbors dancing around and such.

-A script which is almost EXACTLY the same as the script that made Thomas Jane walk last May.

-A tone that more and more is letting us understand why Lexi Alexander said the film would not be as REALISTIC as The Shield or Narc.

-A shooting schedule so short that poor Ray Stevenson has smaller arms than Adrien Brody in the film.

-An assortment of MAX characters that will be most definitely wasted in the film.

I think its so sad when Punisher fans basically say "We'll take whatever you give us, whether its shit or not."

Almost as if being a Punisher fan is an excuse to one's self for putting up with bad material.

I'm a Punisher fan. I own Everything Ennis and Bradstreet have done dating back to 1999.

That doesn't mean "I will now come to understand and accept the crap I see coming from this film."

-TL

Yes.

From what I understand the budgets are very similar. The majority of the '04 films budget went the the completely and utterly fantastic John Travolta.

I have no problem with virtual unknowns, so long as they can turn out a decent performance.

I actually own "Green Street Hooligans", which is what it's called in the states.

The script is almost entirely different from the one that made Jane leave. Kurt Sutter himself has stated that.

I don't understand what makes the tone so unrealistic. Other than the color choices and the chandelier part I can't think of anything terribly unrealistic. I've read the script.

Have you seen any pictures of Stevenson? Did you not see the trailer at all? Saying he has "smaller arms than Adrien Brody" is laughable. You can exaggerate with the best of them.

I agree that there are lots of MAX characters integrated into the film for what seems like no good reason, but I can't do anything about that. I'm not going to dwell.

I'm a Punisher fan, I own almost everything the character has ever appeared in. Be it comics, trading cards, t-shirts or statues.

Guest AdminGuyX

We've all done that a time or two, or three . . . or 20.

:)

I'm still hoping to be surprized by the film.

I also liked Green Street Hooligans.

-TL

OK. Thomas Logan...I have read a lot of your posts, and I understand you think this movie is going to be crap. That's fine. Here's what I have an issue with...you post your opinions (and that's all they are YOUR OPINIONS) and start making statements of "fact" that are not true at all: From what we know the budget is basically the same as the '04 film, the script is 95% different than the one that was in place when Tom Jane left and this movie is being directed by an Ocsar nominated director, not to mention that she has won a few awards too. Please do some research before posting stuff like that. As far as unknown actors go...WHO CARES...Tom Jane was pretty much an unknown until Punisher; and the few "known names" that they brought in for the '04 did a whole lot of nothing for the movie, except waste the budget. You need to remember that A LOT of the recent comic book movies had "unknown" actors starring in them.

If you are such a fan of the work of the Garth Ennis/Bradstreet run of Punisher comic; you should be able to see why a lot of Punisher fans did not like the '04 movie. Hensliegh changed so many things about the character, the setting and how the Punisher does what he does...really it was not true to the comics...pretty much not at all. I have gathered that you really like the 70's style revenge movie (Death Wish, Dirty Harry, etc.) Hensliegh did a good job at making a movie reminiscent to those movies and just happened to throw the Punisher in it. Now, I'm not saying that this movie is going to be the best movie...I'm really hoping it will be good though.

Remember...opinions are like @$$holes...everyone has one; and just because it's not the same as yours does not mean you have to act like one.

Ok, so let me start with "FearEmbodied".

If you've read the script, why is it that you say its 95% different from the MAY 2007 script that made Jane walk?

The ENTIRE storyline is the same. Jigsaw, his moron brother, etc...

What are you saying has changed? Dialogue? Explain.

Other members in this Board have read it - and they feel its the same shit.

As for Kurt Sutter - the man himself called the current script shit and requested his name not be associated with the film.

Here's the part that really makes me wonder whether or not your post is pure bullshit:

raystevenson9copycopy2hy1.jpg

My little sister has bigger arms than that.

What a disgrace.

As for the the budget comparison - Jane himself publicly revealed LGF's decision to chop the budget by less than half after he left. The Travolta excuse is not a valid argument. It doesn't make $12 Million a decent budget. Not at all. Specially since a big chunk of that money is going to distribution.

Hensleigh stated that at least $14 Million went into the movie after paying Travolta and covering distribution ($4 Million). Now do the math.

Midnightlies27,

Have you seen the absurd Trailer that ONLY Punisher fans under 21 seem to enjoy? Are you under 21?

MAT_BEE,

"Remember...opinions are like @$$holes...everyone has one; and just because it's not the same as yours does not mean you have to act like one."

This is my first and final warning ---> Don't walk into a Board you've never posted in before and suggest I'm an asshole.

You wanna talk to me, watch what you write.

-TL

If you are such a fan of the work of the Garth Ennis/Bradstreet run of Punisher comic; you should be able to see why a lot of Punisher fans did not like the '04 movie. Hensliegh changed so many things about the character, the setting and how the Punisher does what he does...really it was not true to the comics...pretty much not at all. I have gathered that you really like the 70's style revenge movie (Death Wish, Dirty Harry, etc.) Hensliegh did a good job at making a movie reminiscent to those movies and just happened to throw the Punisher in it. Now, I'm not saying that this movie is going to be the best movie...I'm really hoping it will be good though.

That basically is the Punisher, you take away the skull and he's basically Paul Kersey only with a shit load more military training.

As for the script, my understanding is they went back to the Nick Santora script and reworked that one. I think it's still basically crap, though.

Tim Bradstreet.

A year ago I was browsing my local comic shop, just browsing, I never read anything on a regular basis. Punisher was a character I knew little about, I always thought the skull and his spandex black costume with white gloves was kinda cool tough. There was a hardcover of Punisher MAX volume 1, which featured issue #2 as the cover. I couldn't open it, was sealed in plastic and selling for nearly $40.00. No lie, the fucking cover sold me. I have all the hardcovers and few of the trades now, Tim Bradstreet's cover had pulled me in, Garth Ennis kept me reading. My favorite cover is the upcoming issue #60, I'm really sad it's the last issue for him and Ennis.

Anyway about Punisher Warzone, I'm glad they went with the high color tones instead of going all out Bradstreet. My favorite Punisher memories are in the panels, mostly "nightclub" colored moments, they're the images that stick in my head from each arc. I can't wait to see Bradstreet's posters though. I think T Logan needs to open his mind, rent Rome seasons 1&2 and you'll see that Ray Stevenson is a somebody. Watch Green Street Hooligans too!