The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

So yeah...in the 04 version, Frank Castle, presumed to be dead, WALKS RIGHT UP THE STEPS OF THE COURTHOUSE and TELLS them all he's going to be a VIGILANTE. And the cops don't arrest him? They aren't able to find him when he's hiding pretty much in plain sight. REAL believable...oh and how about a big RUSSIAN with a red and white striped shirt who doesn't use guns as a hitman to go after Frank...but only after a bardic guitar playing Nashville reject fails because Castle has an armor plated car he built out in the drive way of the building he's HIDING out in.

Why can't War Zone be as real as the LAST movie...

Fred

He says why no one has been arrested for his families murder and that he doesn't remember anything. That's not exactly declaring "I'm gonna kill these motherfuckers". And the Russian was really about the most comic booky thing in the movie.

As for having the weapons hidden in the loft and armor in the car, that's just being tactical, being prepared for anything and everything that can happen. Hanging upside down from a chandelier is not by any means tactical, it's stupid.

The reason War Zone can't be as real as the last movie, is because the last movie was grounded more in reality (The Russian notwithstanding). And I've posted that quote from Lexi Alexander that basically says that War Zone won't be set in a gritty or realistic.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, your post says everything I wanted to say.

Fred, you honesly did not pay attention to Jane's dialogue during the movie.

*During the filming of the Russian fight scene, Kevin Nash (which weighs a very REAL 350 lbs. and stands at a very REAL 6'10") was stabbed during the following shot.

kevinnashtherussianbrp1.jpg

He did not stop the shoot, Jane was the one that noticed and began to apologize for the accident. Nash was willing to keep going.

Then there's the scene where The Russian throws Castle through a wall by hitting him with a toilet. Nash used a REAL toilet to hit Jane's stunt double and when it came time for Nash to go around and continue the choreography, he chose to BREAK through the unweakened wall and virtually smash into the room instead.

So yeah Fred, The Russian is a fake character from a comic book that wears a striped shirt - but Kevin Nash and most of the stuff that went on in that scene were REAL.

You're in serious denial about Warzone's flaws man and you're resorting to using poor arguments in order to give it credibility.

-TL

P.S. Fred, don't underestimate Kevin Nash - the man is SUPERHUMAN.

Guest FADoss

Poor arguments...or arguments you refuse to listen to. I'm not saying it's going to be a great movie, but there are pages of posts on here of you name-calling folks for giving this film a chance and slamming this film at any turn...without very good or clever arguments.

And the chandelier thing is no more stupid than the flaming skull bit. But I'm sure that's just a stupid argument on my part...pointing out how comic book like the last film was...

And being able to be beaten up, have big muscles and brutalize stunt men with real toilets doesn't make someone a good actor.

Fred

Arsh I agree with everything you said (except the last part) and that's why I brought up DEATH WISH.

Bronson killed off 6 people at random - which made it very hard for the NYPD to track him down. When he went off to Chicago in Part II, the same thing happened.

Random killings cannot automatically point to a vigilante in the eyes of the law.

Now, most real-life vigilantes weren't Ex Special Ops. or Ex Feds - so we don't really know how a guy that has that much skill and knowledge of the REAL government would handle himself in the shoes of Frank Castle. We have no way of knowing how long he could last.

Petty thugs commit murder every day down here in Miami, and it takes years for them to get caught. Imagine a skilled killer for the government.

Finally, let me direct this question at you:

Do you agree (in the words of Fred) that in Warzone, Castle should be...

"A far-fetched spandex wearing idiot with a skull on his chest that wouldn't last a week in the real world and that can be compared to Japanimation."

???

-TL

Are you fucking kidding me? That's probably the best interpretation they could do!

:rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sure what that means...

Anyway,

There are differences between Castle and Brosnan, and you already know this, but...

Whereas Brosnan killed at random so the NYPD couldn't catch him, Castle is very systematic. He'll pick a target and keep hitting it over and over again till there's nothing left, like the assault at the funeral following the massacre at Cesare's house. But you are right, if someone did have the abilities of Castle, we have no idea how long he'd last (because no one has ever gone that far). So yeah, you're right, it's impossible to know if a man like Frank Castle could function in the logistical constraints of the real world. In the real world, casualties happen more often than not. Castle can avoid killing innocents in the comics and movies, but could a vigilante who goes on rampages killing twenty at a time maybe miss? Maybe a gangster fires and hits a bystander?

We don't really know. Frank Castle is a very unique man. Nobody like him might not ever actually be able to exist.

As for that Lexi quote...

I'm not entirely sure what she means by that. Maybe she made a mistake cause she's German.

Mike, your post says everything I wanted to say.

Fred, you honesly did not pay attention to Jane's dialogue during the movie.

*During the filming of the Russian fight scene, Kevin Nash (which weighs a very REAL 350 lbs. and stands at a very REAL 6'10") was stabbed during the following shot.

kevinnashtherussianbrp1.jpg

He did not stop the shoot, Jane was the one that noticed and began to apologize for the accident. Nash was willing to keep going.

Then there's the scene where The Russian throws Castle through a wall by hitting him with a toilet. Nash used a REAL toilet to hit Jane's stunt double and when it came time for Nash to go around and continue the choreography, he chose to BREAK through the unweakened wall and virtually smash into the room instead.

So yeah Fred, The Russian is a fake character from a comic book that wears a striped shirt - but Kevin Nash and most of the stuff that went on in that scene were REAL.

You're in serious denial about Warzone's flaws man and you're resorting to using poor arguments in order to give it credibility.

-TL

P.S. Fred, don't underestimate Kevin Nash - the man is SUPERHUMAN.

I think Fred knows about possible flaws in PWZ, but he chooses to remain optimistic. You realize there's nothing wrong with that, right?

Fred, If my arguments aren't "good or clever" then why is it that after that Teaser Trailer, many people here (and everywhere else) began to question the quality of Warzone?

The truth is that Trailer coulda been the GREATEST preview of a Punisher movie ever.

It coulda blown Jane's film to hell.

Instead, it proved most of our fears were realized (shit I knew from the beginning) by revealing that this was gonna be an inferior film to the last one and to make things worse really fuckin cartoony.

Everybody wanted MAX (woulda been great despite the lack of Jane) and they're getting the Fantastic 4 of The Punisher instead.

You my friend are into that kinda shit, so as I said earlier - You will LOVE Lexi's movie.

-TL

P.S. Kevin Nash will be in Texas next week performing with TNA. Go see his acting in person (In front of thousands) and tell me the guy is shit. Tickets are cheap.

Fred, If my arguments aren't "good or clever" then why is it that after that Teaser Trailer, many people here (and everywhere else) began to question the quality of Warzone?

The truth is that Trailer coulda been the GREATEST preview of a Punisher movie ever.

It coulda blown Jane's film to hell.

Instead, it proved most of our fears were realized (shit I knew from the beginning) by revealing that this was gonna be an inferior film to the last one and to make things worse really fuckin cartoony.

Everybody wanted MAX (woulda been great despite the lack of Jane) and they're getting the Fantastic 4 of The Punisher instead.

You my friend are into that kinda shit, so as I said earlier - You will LOVE Lexi's movie.

-TL

P.S. Kevin Nash will be in Texas next week performing with TNA. Go see his acting in person (In front of thousands) and tell me the guy is shit. Tickets are cheap.

I thought the trailer rocked. Sure the chandelier was... weird, but I didn't care. I just loved it, man. I loved the fast paced action scenes. The gun fights, the promise of some brutal fist fights, it just looked awesome.

I wouldn't say that Fantastic Four is a good comparison. Maybe in terms of style, I'd say JUST based on the teaser, it's closer to Shoot 'Em Up rather than Death Wish. Hey, I loved Shoot 'Em Up, so I really don't give a damn.

Arsh you're right. There's nothing wrong with that.

But optimism is one thing and DENIAL is another.

-TL

I don't think he's in denial. It's more like Batman and the Joker between you two.

Guest FADoss
I think Frank Castle (being ex FBI, ex Special Forces) could get away with it for decades.

And maybe you should read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punisher

It talks about the Punisher from the comic books...who had NO TIES TO THE FBI. Another fabrication of the 2004 film.

I'm all for staying true to the comics. If you want to do a film about a vigilante that isn't true to the comics don't call it the Punisher.

That's what was wrong with Lundgren's version and it was what was wrong with the 2004 version. VOLUMES of possibilities for great stories from the comics...and yet they chose to slap Frank Castle's name on some bullshit script that without the skull (not even present except for the knives in Lundgren's version) could have been any film.

All I'm saying is that from what I've seen, the upcoming film looks to be closer to target than anything we've seen so far. Thomas calls it childish that it may be more comic book like, but then talks about how great Burton's Batman was. And then worships Wolverine and gives praise to the Iron Man and Hulk movies. Just for the record, I love Wolverine too and thought all those movies were great (haven't seen Hulk yet). BUT, if the Punisher film follows the comic it's a kids movie.

You know, my arguments may be bad...but yours are inconsistent as hell man. I wish you'd pick an opinion and stick with it across multiple spectrums.

Fred

Guest FADoss
Arsh you're right. There's nothing wrong with that.

But optimism is one thing and DENIAL is another.

-TL

How about living in DENIAL that the 04 version was "the BEST possible Punisher film ever" and that there is NO way that Ray Stevenson could be good in the role.

Or the severely uninformed belief that anyone who was special forces must be built like Dolph Lundgren or Tom Jane.

Fred

Guest FADoss

Or...maybe the Wolverine: Origins?

The best Punisher storyline ever IMHO was the War Journal Punisher Vs. Wolverine story arc. FANTASTIC. It's what introduced me to the Punisher.

And I like the Batman Joker comparison...and I'll even be the lame ass Bale Batman to your Ledger Joker TL. :)

I still love ya BTW. Maybe we should do a Punisher vs. Wolverine movie. Though I'm nowhere near cool enough to play The Punisher. That and I'd need to be about 58 to pull it off realistically to keep in line with the Vietnam Vet storyarc.

Fred

You know, my arguments may be bad...but yours are inconsistent as hell man. I wish you'd pick an opinion and stick with it across multiple spectrums.

Fred

"Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

the-dark-knight-20080404002554558.jpg

Arsh, Fred wants this movie to work. I don't blame him for that.

I actually think its gonna work well for him and for other people who enjoy those cartoony takes on characters that had more adult incarnations earlier.

You liked Shoot 'Em Up. I think you will also like Warzone.

The prob with Fred is that he wants this film to be considered superior to the last and that is simply not possible.

Not because I say so [lol] but because now, after the Trailer and Lexi's very ENGLISH comment, we know what's coming.

In 5 months the reviews will be out and Warzone will be deemed a kids movie instead of anything serious.

Its funny you bring up Batman and The Joker, cause Heath's possible Oscar Nomination shows that even THAT storyline could be grounded. THAT world could be made REAL and fuckin MAX had to be done wacky.

Geez.

-TL

P.S. Fred, you seek a film true to the comics despite how terrible it may be. I seek a film with heart that can make people forget its a comic book movie.

My thoughts in red:

Arsh, Fred wants this movie to work. I don't blame him for that.

I actually think its gonna work well for him and for other people who enjoy those cartoony takes on characters that had more adult incarnations earlier.

You liked Shoot 'Em Up. I think you will also like Warzone.

I don't think the take on Frank Castle himself will be cartoony. They can't make Frank into a looney tunes like Matt Fraction is doing in the Punisher War Journal series right now. I think the character of Frank played by Ray will be done justice, dark and grim. I loved Shoot 'Em Up because of it's style, but the main character wasn't a cartoony caricature or anything. He was a cool guy.

The prob with Fred is that he wants this film to be considered superior to the last and that is simply not possible.

Not because I say so [lol] but because now, after the Trailer and Lexi's very ENGLISH comment, we know what's coming.

In 5 months the reviews will be out and Warzone will be deemed a kids movie instead of anything serious.

I don't think blood, gore, language, death and destruction would cause it to be deemed a kids movie.

Its funny you bring up Batman and The Joker, cause Heath's possible Oscar Nomination shows that even THAT storyline could be grounded. THAT world could be made REAL and fuckin MAX had to be done wacky.

Truth is, they made that storyline from scratch, in their own unique universe. That precise take of the Joker hasn't been done often in the comics. He's a new Joker brought to life by Ledger and Nolan.

Geez.

-TL

P.S. Fred, you seek a film true to the comics despite how terrible it may be. I seek a film with heart that can make people forget its a comic book movie.

I don't think that is quite what's going on here. You and Fred both want the same thing. He's just optimistic regarding it and is more positive, whereas you are more cynical and pessimistic. You guys ARE BALANCING THE UNIVERSE.

Also, I think I am very clever with my Batman/Joker comparison above.

Guest FADoss

And "Batman Begins" did that...while being very close to the comic world TL. It was a film with heart that can make people forget its a comic book movie.

And I never said that this film will be superior to the 04 version. I hope it will be. I'm simply pointing out that the 04 version had a LOT of flaws with it. Tom was GREAT. The Nash scene was AWESOME. I even liked the guitar picking assassin.

And again, the level of blood guts and violence in this film and the R-Rating will make it pretty damned impossible to be considered a "kids movie". It might FAIL. It may fall flat on it's face. There is a lot of reason to believe it could be crap.

I've mainly been playing devils advocate to your inflexible HATE for this film.

I get that you liked the 04 version. I liked it. I own it.

And BTW, SHOOT EM UP was a shit movie. If Warzone is ANYTHING like it, I'll be jumping over to the TL side of the fence in a heartbeat.

However, I for one, out of love for the character am still hoping for a good film.

Fred

And "Batman Begins" did that...while being very close to the comic world TL. It was a film with heart that can make people forget its a comic book movie.

And I never said that this film will be superior to the 04 version. I hope it will be. I'm simply pointing out that the 04 version had a LOT of flaws with it. Tom was GREAT. The Nash scene was AWESOME. I even liked the guitar picking assassin.

And again, the level of blood guts and violence in this film and the R-Rating will make it pretty damned impossible to be considered a "kids movie". It might FAIL. It may fall flat on it's face. There is a lot of reason to believe it could be crap.

I've mainly been playing devils advocate to your inflexible HATE for this film.

I get that you liked the 04 version. I liked it. I own it.

And BTW, SHOOT EM UP was a shit movie. If Warzone is ANYTHING like it, I'll be jumping over to the TL side of the fence in a heartbeat.

However, I for one, out of love for the character am still hoping for a good film.

Fred

SHOOT 'EM UP ROCKED.

But what I should have added is I doubt it'll be like Shoot 'Em Up so much as having some of it's style (what with the jumping and sliding and stylistic gunfights).

Story-wise, the characterization and story better be great though.

Guest FADoss

TL, we'll talk about it on set brotha! Maybe we can go see the premier together. :)

Arsh, your love for "Shoot em Up" disturbs me greatly.

Fred

TL, we'll talk about it on set brotha! Maybe we can go see the premier together. :)

Arsh, your love for "Shoot em Up" disturbs me greatly.

Fred

Why?

Clive Owen's cool. Monica Belluci's hot. Paul Giamatti's hilarious. The gunfights are pretty creative and funny. I like how they get more and more crazy throughout the film. It's like a high-octane violent Bugs Bunny.

HOW CAN ANYONE NOT LIKE IT?

No, it isn't the greatest film in the world by far, but it's just a fun film to watch. Kind of like Crank.

PWZ won't be like that at all. PWZ looks to be tonally more dark and grim, with a lot more conventional violence. When I made the comparison, I just meant in terms of the way the gunfights seemed played out, BUT I guess it wasn't a good comparison.

I liked Shoot Em' Up too. Thought it was hillarious and the gun fights were very well done. I didn't take it seriously because you wern't supposed to, at all. Back to the Punisher though. I hope they can release a red-band trailer so I can see some of this "awsome gore".

PWZ won't be like that at all. PWZ looks to be tonally more dark and grim, with a lot more conventional violence. When I made the comparison, I just meant in terms of the way the gunfights seemed played out, BUT I guess it wasn't a good comparison.

I don't know if it still has the death by lobster in the opening, it would seem to that they're gonna play up the violence more for gags than anything else.

Guest AdminGuyX

I saw the PWZ trailer on the big screen today in front of WANTED . . . I liked it a lot more than I did watching it on the computer.

The colors and the feel of the trailer work a whole lot better on the big screen for me. Still not in love, but, the trailer looks better projected.

The sound was excellent too. Frank's voice actually rattled the seats.

I just hope despite the wackyness, that the film has some adult material.

The last film had topless girls, the use of the word fuck and brutal violence.

I'm sure this film will have brutal violence [in a very unrealistic way] but I doubt it'll have the other two.

It feels too much like a PG-13.

I think Jigsaw may be the most interesting character in the film even though the makeup looks crappy.

-TL

I'm a glutton for reading this shit for some reason.

Check out this inside info from the IMDb message boards.

they rejected the first Hensliegh script, and he was subsequently fired from his director role.

Jane kept wanting to put a lot of his own creative spin on what he thought the Punisher should be, but Marvel and Lionsgate both repeatedly said no way.. Jane through a hissy fit and left the project.

once he left, the planned sequel was dropped.