The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike V-

What I wanna know is who's idea was it to have the Punisher meditating naked in a sewer.

Thomas Logan-

Maybe Lexi added a scene where we see him taking a shit

Mike V again-

I think it's an abandoned subway platform, apples and oranges. An abandoned warehouse would have been preferable, but it's not really a gripe with me.

O.K. I haven't seen the trailer yet but I guess this will do. The Punisher is meditating while shitting out apples and oranges in an abandoned warehouse.

When is this flick coming out?

oh, and earlier I was just making a couple references to people killing their brothers in literature and I don't know- just to point out that man can go that far- to murder their own blood. But you know- honestly, I have people I would much rather call my brother than a bunch of assholes in my family. Just cause they're blood-related doesn't mean they are good. My brother doesn't need to have my DNA.

anyways, fuck brothers.

brothers are over-rated anyway.

and what the fuck are ham-fingers?

sveinx

Guest FADoss

Watched "Outpost" last night. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Ray was cool, but not nearly enough of him kicking ass and blowing things up for me to see Frank Castle in there. Overall, for a low budget horror flick, not too bad.

Oh, and I BOUGHT "Dirty Harry" last night as well. :P And added about 8 Nicholson movies to the netflix queue.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX
My brother doesn't need to have my DNA.

:o

brothers are over-rated anyway.

Sorry you don't like your family . . . I love my brothers dearly, and disagree with you about them being over-rated.

Don't be offended, but maybe they just don't understand you. You are . . . eccentric after all.

;)

added about 8 Nicholson movies to the netflix queue.

B) I think maybe we should start a Nicholson thread then, because you're going to want to discuss them after seeing each one!!

Glad you're giving him a shot Fred.

Dolph has Jim Lee's Punisher written all over him

Dolph's hair in particular is much like Whilce drew it, and also his phsyique is closer to Whilce's version IMHO. Jim Lee's Punisher was built more like Swartzapooper.

I'll scan in a few of the shots I'm thinking of.

Ray Stevenson has Bradstreet's

Yep, I agree.

I'm lookin forward to Master Splinter's cameo in Warzone.

I didn't care for having him in a sewer in the 88 version either. An abandoned subway platform seems . . . meh.

Should just be a warehouse, but I guess they thought it might be too Blade.

Couple things:

First off, I'm still perplexed as to why being muscular equals good acting or a good actor. Look at denzel Washington in Man on fire. Not ripped, but scary as hell. I think we're getting into overboard nitpicking here, but who am i to judge.

You know, the more I think about it, and having been a comic fan for so long, and a punisher fan for just as long, I think that in order for this movie to work, it can't be all about his origin. Not to beat a dead horse, but look at Man On Fire, great revenge movie, and you get just enough backstory about Denzel to know that something bad happened to him, and that he has all the skills you need to be a badass.

Hopefully Warzone doesn't dwell on the reason he punishers, and rather just him on a mission.

Also, I had no idea that Dolph Lundgren had a workout tape. IS this a bill blanks, tae bo style tape, or just him philosophizing on fitness. either way, I need to see this ;)

I think Man On Fire woulda been MUCH better had it not been directed by Scott.

Walter Hill woulda made that film ICONIC.

*Also, Rourke spoke of an alternate plot were his character was the man behind the kidnapping in the end and had a mano a mano gunfight with Washington during the climax. He said it was scrapped due to budget problems. That sounds much more impressive than what ended up being the film's culmination.

Dolph's video is awesome. He runs you through all kinds of exercises for both your lower and upper body. Its all over Youtube (spread out in parts) in case you wanna check it out.

-TL

Watched "Outpost" last night. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Ray was cool, but not nearly enough of him kicking ass and blowing things up for me to see Frank Castle in there. Overall, for a low budget horror flick, not too bad.

Oh, and I BOUGHT "Dirty Harry" last night as well. :P And added about 8 Nicholson movies to the netflix queue.

Fred

Way to go FRED!

What did you throw in the queue?

And dude, outside of any classics you may have in there, please keep an open mind concerning 60's or 70's (even early 80's) film making.

Remember these things are a product of their eras. Most of the films would probably not be your cup of tea, that is, the kind of film you might normally gravitate towards (I'm sure you know this already). But the lion's share of Nicholson's work in the 60's and 70's was directed by some pretty incredible talent, Mike Nichols, Roman Polanski, Bob Rafelson, Milos Forman, Kubrick, Arthur Penn, genuine icons of film making.

Wether some bore you or not, I don't think you will be able to deny the incredible talent of Jack Nicholson, who most certainly earned his reputation.

Cheers - TB

Fred is gonna hate Five Easy Pieces.

Hopefully it wasn't one of the 8.

-TL

Yeah, it might bore him into oblivion, that would be a shame.

That film is probably a very good example of the kind of film Fred just ain't into.

Rafelson is such a great film maker but he's not for everyone.

Still, I hope he DID add it. It's also possible that he could be sucked into the grand character study.

Transformers it ain't ;)

- TB

PS - Apologies 1000 times over for the continuing Warzone derail.

Any further discussion on the Nicholson subject can be picked up here - > Jack Nicholson - An American Film Icon

Guest FADoss

Crossing Guard

The Pledge

About Schmidt

The Last Detail

Five Easy Pieces

Easy Rider

The Postman Always Rings Twice

The Missouri Breaks

AND

I snuck in The Bad Lieutenant for shits and grins.

Fred

I just finished watching Outpost and I have to say that I am impressed. The Nazi bunker that most of the movie takes place in looks nothing short of amazing. The direction was very well done as well as the costumes, makeup, and just production values over-all. I was expecting a crappy straight to dvd horror movie that the shelves seem to be littered with these days but I have to say that I was wrong. I thought the movie looked great and was well made. It also had what I thought was a great line. "See, the bright light... it ain't heaven, son. It's just a muzzle flare."

I digress. Ray's performance did not impress me all that much. He wasn't bad by any means but I didn't really find him to be that great either. He looks pretty badass firing a weapon but I just don't think he really emotes that well. Let's hope that the Punisher is something he can delve into, otherwise we may be in for a disappointing interpretation of Frank Castle, or at least a shallow one.

For some fucking reason, this comment is still getting to me.

Yes …don’t expect this Punisher to be set in an ultra-realistic world. Every director has to make a call on the vision

and style of a film and putting The Punisher in a realistic and gritty setting would be like having Det. Vic Mackey of

THE SHIELD run around with a big ass skull on his chest, or Ray Liotta’s character in NARC suddenly go: “Hey, I think

I just saw a guy whose face looks like a Jigsaw puzzle.” Ha, ha.

It's like how the fuck can you say that? The Punisher wouldn't work in a realistic world because he's a comic book character? I mean look what Nolan has done with fucking Batman, he took a ridiculous concept of a man dressing up like a bat and successfully put that character in a 'real world' setting. I mean really what the fuck?

Guest FADoss

Andrew, I was very surprised. The bunker was cool as shit and the villains were just straight creepy. Ray was good, but despite being a "hardcore" mercenary, he brought a realism to the character that said..."I'm a bad ass, but I don't need to act tough to get the point across." He reminded me very much of real spec ops guys I've met. Because when you actually ARE a badass...well...

The Marine that took that line was my favorite character. His other great line was "Fucking love culture". I believe...looking at imdb that he also played the guy that killed Batman's parents in Batman Begins.

Mike and Legacy,

Yes, the most realistic super-vigilante that for years sported spandex, has a big white skull on his chest and hangs out with Spiderman and Daredevil.

In real life, if a guy tried this shit he wouldn't last a week. No matter how bad he was, he would NOT get away with what Frank does. It's all far-fetched. Does he have superpowers? No.

It IS still a comic book. And that doesn't necessarily be a kids movie. If you watch japanimation at all you'll see CARTOONS with 10 times the adult content as most American hard R films.

Fred

Fred - you are gonna LOVE Lexi's movie.

"It's a movie about a far-fetched spandex wearing idiot with a skull on his chest that wouldn't last a week in the real world and that can be compared to Japanimation."

I'm one of the people that wants a REAL Frank Castle - because vigilantes HAVE existed. Serial Killers HAVE existed. People have been murdering people in sequence for centuries. Some of these murderers have been caught in a week. Others it took 20 years to catch.

I think Frank Castle (being ex FBI, ex Special Forces) could get away with it for decades.

Watch DEATH WISH, and tell me that couldn't happen these days. That movie is 200% REAL and technically (sans the skull) its a PUNISHER movie.

People actually started looking at Charles Bronson differently after it came out.

-TL

P.S. Sounds like you LOVED OUTPOST. Oh God.

Guest FADoss

Yes TL, you nailed exactly what I was trying to say and are the GOD of cinema and the ultimate in film critics. I am not even worthy to share the same board space.

:(

Fred - you are gonna LOVE Lexi's movie.

"It's a movie about a far-fetched spandex wearing idiot with a skull on his chest that wouldn't last a week in the real world and that can be compared to Japanimation."

I'm one of the people that wants a REAL Frank Castle - because vigilantes HAVE existed. Serial Killers HAVE existed. People have been murdering people in sequence for centuries. Some of these murderers have been caught in a week. Others it took 20 years to catch.

I think Frank Castle (being ex FBI, ex Special Forces) could get away with it for decades.

Watch DEATH WISH, and tell me that couldn't happen these days. That movie is 200% REAL and technically (sans the skull) its a PUNISHER movie.

People actually started looking at Charles Bronson differently after it came out.

-TL

P.S. Sounds like you LOVED OUTPOST. Oh God.

TL, truth is, no one, not even Frank Castle, could get away with that level of killing and violence for decades. Some serial killers aren't caught because they're clever and take a lot of time between kills to cool off. Others are stupid and caught quickly. Vigilantes have existed, yes. But they're often parts of groups and organizations, not a lone man orchestrating a one-man war on crime.

Even if Castle is ex Special Forces, he wouldn't survive that long on the streets. The police would constantly be out in full force trying to catch him because he kills like twenty people a week. In the real world, people don't stand for that shit. In the real world, there's too high a risk for collateral damage.

That's what makes reading the comics fun. A lot of that stuff that would happen in the real world doesn't happen in comics.

TL, name me one vigilante in the entire history of mankind that caused the level of violence that Frank Castle did, and who survived for more than a month on the streets without incarceration or getting killed.

Most people would think that a vigilante killing twenty people a week is fucking insane and needs to get captured.

Vigilante organizations DO exist in the world. Looking in wiki turns up the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigilante#20th_century

The vigilantes of the 20th and 21st century are either lone individuals who killed just a few people in isolated incidents or are organized groups/death squads.

The Punisher is by no means "REAL"

Arsh I agree with everything you said (except the last part) and that's why I brought up DEATH WISH.

Bronson killed off 6 people at random - which made it very hard for the NYPD to track him down. When he went off to Chicago in Part II, the same thing happened.

Random killings cannot automatically point to a vigilante in the eyes of the law.

Now, most real-life vigilantes weren't Ex Special Ops. or Ex Feds - so we don't really know how a guy that has that much skill and knowledge of the REAL government would handle himself in the shoes of Frank Castle. We have no way of knowing how long he could last.

Petty thugs commit murder every day down here in Miami, and it takes years for them to get caught. Imagine a skilled killer for the government.

Finally, let me direct this question at you:

Do you agree (in the words of Fred) that in Warzone, Castle should be...

"A far-fetched spandex wearing idiot with a skull on his chest that wouldn't last a week in the real world and that can be compared to Japanimation."

???

-TL

Mike and Legacy,

Yes, the most realistic super-vigilante that for years sported spandex, has a big white skull on his chest and hangs out with Spiderman and Daredevil.

Fred

Everyone on the production has been explicitly stating that this going to be based on the MAX run, which is grounded in reality. No spandex onesey, or other superheroes running around. But I forget, it's based on a comic book, so it's got to be a bit silly.

A bit off because this has to do with a group of people and not one individual.... but if you want a real life story, I have some for you.

In Detroit, there's a biker gang called the Vigilantes. They are the most dangerous biker gang in Michigan. They even got a hide out in Detroit. They been around for years. I recently found out about this from my head of security last night at the club when about 50 of them came in to hang out for a concert. My head of security came up to me and said "if there are any fights tonight, we're not stopping it." I said "why?" he said "Cuz the Vigilantes are here and they will jump anyone for even trying to break apart a fight." These guys have actually killed many people before and gotten away with it. They are very feared over here. They're known for beating you till you pass out and then going to work on you. They're sick assholes who the law is afraid to bust because they're such a large group. They been around for a lonnnnng time. So in this sense, I guess fear on behalf of the justice department allows them to be around as long as they do. It's quite freaky actually. I even talked to one of them last night. He was a cool guy lol.

1812534359_bbd21db445.jpg

So in conclusion, these guys exist more or less.

-Raffi

Guest FADoss

So yeah...in the 04 version, Frank Castle, presumed to be dead, WALKS RIGHT UP THE STEPS OF THE COURTHOUSE and TELLS them all he's going to be a VIGILANTE. And the cops don't arrest him? They aren't able to find him when he's hiding pretty much in plain sight. REAL believable...oh and how about a big RUSSIAN with a red and white striped shirt who doesn't use guns as a hitman to go after Frank...but only after a bardic guitar playing Nashville reject fails because Castle has an armor plated car he built out in the drive way of the building he's HIDING out in.

Why can't War Zone be as real as the LAST movie...

Fred