The Punisher: WarZone

Well ya know Hensleigh got so dragged through the coals for his work on Punisher that I believe he was unfairly thrown in director jail.

I guess now they see that it ain't so easy to do a Punisher film ;)

Anyway, Jungle may not have been much of a next film for JH but seriously, he was so messed up and drained after the response to Punisher, and the subsequent lack of interest from studios for his talent that he just tried to get proactive and shoot something, anything, for peanuts.

Whether it was good, bad, horrible, or useless is somewhat beside the point. I think JH just needed to get in the shit and focus on something else.

He went back to writing which he's very good at, and it was only a matter of time before he got a decent project off the ground.

Sucks that it took 5 years because I think the same as Noeland. Hensleigh is only going to get better. And I think he'll do a lot better away from a project like Punisher where there is mondo studio tampering in terms of script, and mucho mondo difficulty dealing with a massively fickle fan base.

Here he's cut loose to do what I think he can excel at, throw a well written action film in our faces.

And I'm supporting him whole heartedly ;)

- tB

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,

In my criticism of the 04 film I hope I haven't indicated that it was a bad film. I actually enjoyed it. I remember leaving the theater very happy. My main issues were in it's keeping true to the comics.

Being in director jail for the 04 film is pretty damned crappy.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

I was one of those folks who gave Hensleigh a lot of shit for the 04 Punisher after I saw it. I didn't like it. It grew on my over time, but I walked out of it unhappy, and like so many other folks saying "Jane was great but the rest of the film was just lacking." Over time and repeated viewings the film had grown on me. After warzone, well, my reaction to warzone gave me a whole new level of respect for what they tried to do in the 04 film. I think the extended cut is better, by the way. I wish that would have been released in theaters.

Hensleigh is a hell of a writer. I still want to read Simon Says and compare it to Die Hard 3.

I think projects like The Irishman are right up his alley. One day he's going to hook up with a DP where the visual chemistry will be magic and the resulting film is going to knock us all on our asses. I'd love to see him do another film with Tom.

I don't hold Jungle against him. I never watched it, but even still, I subscribe to the notion that every director, unless extremely gifted, is going to have a handful of crappy films on his resume. The process sort of demands it. Films are never a sure thing, and even visionaries have their occasional train wreck.

Anyway. :)

Except for some story issues and the film sort of too static, I thought Hensleigh did a really good job with The Punsiher, he had a good visual eye, some good action sequence and most important of all just all around good to great performances (hell, just for the fact he got Travolta reign in it is a feat).

But he did write the second best Die Hard movie and Michael Bays only really good movie, The Rock. So, it's good that he's getting some more work now, including a TV series for AMC (if that's still happening).

Best news to come out of this thread in the past year! Thanks Tim. Looks VERY cool.

On another note, Lexi appears to still be working! I'm happy for her. Getting her Uwe Boll on. Must be a German thing.

I believe you've just coined a new phrase, sir. Had a good laugh with that one, thanks.

I think Hensleigh is tremendous at what he does. I for one enjoyed the 04 Punisher very much so, and he did a hell of a job on Die Hard With A Vengeance and The Rock, to name a few. I'm looking forward to his future stuff, I've got a lot of respect for him and hope for nothing but the best.

• 1 month later...

So I recently sat down and watched all three of the Punisher movies (for the 1989 one I watched the uncut version and for the 2004 one I watched the extended cut), and well shit; the thing that surprised me the most was how PWZ manages to be more broad and hammy with the acting than a 1989 Dolph Lundgren action film.

NOTHING IS OVER.......NOTHING! YOU DON'T JUST TURN IT OFF.

Maybe we should start a First Blood thread haa?

the new film will not have Punisher in the title. and when it goes into production, NO ONE will know it's a Punisher film. it'll be totally under wraps, no script will go out, no fanfare. the only time people will figure it out is during a trailer in front of a big summer movie - it'll look like a down and dirty, gritty action film starring Thomas Jane, and people will think, 'oh, he's dyed his hair black for this one.' and 'hey, he's wearing lot of black.' and the last shot, his jacket will blow open just enough, and there it'll be. the SKULL. he'll look right at the camera, pile of dead around him, blood on the walls. and someone off camera will say. "Welcome back, Frank. I see you've been busy."

I guarantee this thing will do well for its budget if this shit is true. And please no fuckin Lionsgate. Gosh this would be the greatest thing to happen to me since meeting Street and O'Brien at the Con if this is true.

Guest AdminGuyX
the new film will not have Punisher in the title. and when it goes into production, NO ONE will know it's a Punisher film. it'll be totally under wraps, no script will go out, no fanfare. the only time people will figure it out is during a trailer in front of a big summer movie - it'll look like a down and dirty, gritty action film starring Thomas Jane, and people will think, 'oh, he's dyed his hair black for this one.' and 'hey, he's wearing lot of black.' and the last shot, his jacket will blow open just enough, and there it'll be. the SKULL. he'll look right at the camera, pile of dead around him, blood on the walls. and someone off camera will say. "Welcome back, Frank. I see you've been busy."

You're a bad man Thomas Jane. You are a bad man.

:lol:

You cold hearted bastard! Don't get everyone's hope up like that...unless it's true?!? ;)

This reminds me of a dream I had a while ago that the Jane punisher was going to be getting a direct sequel due to poor performance of War Zone. If only.

True or not, still one hell of an intro ... niiice! B)

Tom - You should present this to someone. After what happened at the box office with WarZone and all the fans talking about how they wanted you back, maybe, just maybeee somebody will give it a shot YOUR way.

Yes, pleeeeaaaase!!

God, I think I'm going to start dreaming about that now.... :P