The Punisher: WarZone

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still haven't seen a good argument as to why this movie is not kick ass. i'm not buying anything i've seen so far. tom's version is awesome but this is not even trying to follow after jane's punisher. the comics are as violent as you can get, if you see it or not, and that's the punisher.

i still haven't seen a good argument as to why this movie is not kick ass. i'm not buying anything i've seen so far. tom's version is awesome but this is not even trying to follow after jane's punisher. the comics are as violent as you can get, if you see it or not, and that's the punisher.

Sorry you haven't been convinced... :unsure:

Seriously dude, I don't think ANYONE'S opinions are really changed by these types of threads. It's mostly a bunch of swinging dicks arguing or agreeing or choosing to ignore each other. Very rarely are their any deep revelations of film criticism that can make someone go from liking a film to hating it.

I will admit that I have been forced to go back and look at films a second or third time by folks on here (mainly Tim and Noeland) and have become enamored with folks like Sergio Leone in spite of myself, BUT I think that's a rarity.

I don't think this thread has changed anyone's mind about anything.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

My review of the film is like 133 pages back . . . ;)

Frank Castle puts a pencil up his nose.

He has no plan of action, no greater vision than mass murder. He's not waging a war on crime, he's just walking into rooms and opening fire.

Jigsaw high steps down the street. The portrayal of the character overall is terrible, and played for comedy. It could have been a truly frightening villain in other hands.

He and his brother call each other brother WAY too many times. It's like a drinking game.

BAD Jamaican accents, terrible makeup, and even worse free running, with just awful acting as the icing on the throwaway villain cake.

Soap.

Neon filled churches.

Dull headed cops who can't find a guy that walks down the street in full costume for the whole world to see, and then walks through an open, public subway station to get to his "lair" where he brings families in danger and leaves them with morons, and crooks can come and go but never wait for him.

The final assault was . . . well . . . he jumped through a boarded up window to get into the building. No idea what he was doing, no plan, no recon, and he even goes so far as to explain he has no plan.

These are some of MY reasons for thinking the movie is a long way from kicking ass. A LONG way. But, I'm not trying to change your mind, poop, I'm just sharing my feelings. You probably haven't seen an argument that changed your mind because no one is trying to do that.

I know some people really get off on Ray's performance, and that's more than enough for them to love the movie. I think that's great. From all I've heard about Ray now, I'm happy that he's getting the chance to shine in new roles, and I think he tried his best to elevate the film above the comedic enterprise it ended up being.

I wanted to like the movie. Hell, I still do. The Punisher was my favorite comic book for years and years. I will always love the character and his place in the marvel universe.

Seriously dude, I don't think ANYONE'S opinions are really changed by these types of threads. It's mostly a bunch of swinging dicks arguing or agreeing or choosing to ignore each other. Very rarely are their any deep revelations of film criticism that can make someone go from liking a film to hating it.

Well, I try and think about it more like a conversation among geeks in the know.

:P

I don't think this thread has changed anyone's mind about anything.

It's not the intention really. Is it? is anyone trying to change hearts and minds? I think, like you mentioned, points of views are shared and can lead to revisiting certain material for certain reasons, but this thread is about a specific film that has been divisive in the opinions it generates. For lack of a better way to say it, this movie just isn't good enough to be one of those movies that people revisit and rediscover, and fall in love with.

Frank Castle puts a pencil up his nose.

BAD Jamaican accents, terrible makeup, and even worse free running, with just awful acting as the icing on the throwaway villain cake.

Neon filled churches.

I thought the pencil up the nose was kinda cool.

That Jamaican accent is Irish, so yeah..... As shitty as the effect looked, I thought the rocket launcher gag was pretty funny.

The church scene I thought looked really nice.

In regards to the Jamaican accent on Maginty..... He's actually an Irish character. Jamaican look, Irish character.

I rented Punisher War Zone for my friend and his wife to see, and what do I see? The skull emblem from the 2004 Punisher used in the animated menu graphics of the DVD?!?!?! Anyone else catch this? I'll see if I can take some screen shots and post them, but I wonder if this was a goof of some sort? My friend actually said, and I quote "If you took out Frank Castle and put in some other action star, it wouldn't ruin the flow of the movie. It seems like a shoot 'em up action movie with Punisher characters."

Maginty's accent didn't really bother me that much. I think it's mentioned in Kitchen Irish that he fakes the accent, but I don't know if Lexi made him speak this way on purpose, or it was just another fuck up. I got the dvd, but I haven't listened to the commentary yet, although I would like to hear Steve's take on all the stuff in the movie.

I've wondering recently what was Sutter's script like for the movie? A question for Tim if you so happen to pop in here, did you get a chance to look at his draft at all or no anything about it?

I've wondering recently what was Sutter's script like for the movie? A question for Tim if you so happen to pop in here, did you get a chance to look at his draft at all or no anything about it?

I'd like to know how that one was too. It would be an interesting read, just to see how different it is. I heard the only scene they kept from his draft was the glass crusher one.

Finally saw it tonight...after all this ARGH and fuckalls...and I was left...well...

The main thought as I kept thinking was that Jayne Juanita Chance was lurking somewhere in the background and Joe Marcus should have played Loony Bin Jim.

If you watch it with that in mind, it's fucking fantastic.

Lot's of plot holes...horribly over-budgeted for what we got, but definite Shock Fest material...and for that, I give it a nod.

Fred

Finally saw it tonight...after all this ARGH and fuckalls...and I was left...well...

The main thought as I kept thinking was that Jayne Juanita Chance was lurking somewhere in the background and Joe Marcus should have played Loony Bin Jim.

If you watch it with that in mind, it's fucking fantastic.

Lot's of plot holes...horribly over-budgeted for what we got, but definite Shock Fest material...and for that, I give it a nod.

Fred

Who's Jayne Juanita Marcus and who's Joe Marcus?

Glad you liked it though Doss.

Who's Jayne Juanita Marcus and who's Joe Marcus?

Sacrilege...though I myself just became a disciple. And liked is a strong assessment. I was able to place it in a compartment where I could enjoy it.

Crank: High Voltage is coming out soon, and that was made fast and cheap (the same way I likes me my womens ;) ). And it's probably going to be as over-the-top if not more than Punisher: War Zone, but I can't help but think I will like a lot more.
Crank: High Voltage is coming out soon, and that was made fast and cheap (the same way I likes me my womens ;) ). And it's probably going to be as over-the-top if not more than Punisher: War Zone, but I can't help but think I will like a lot more.

Amen! Another "Shock Festival" caliber of flick. Very Elliot Swann in it's resurrections. :)

• 2 weeks later...