The Punisher: WarZone

Parker, its kind of strange that your spending THIS much time in a thread about warzone, yet you refuse to see it

Im disappointed that logan was "banned", I was looking forward to debating warzone with him

Im actually surprised he did not have a heart attack when he found out he couldnt post here anymore :-P

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parker, its kind of strange that your spending THIS much time in a thread about warzone, yet you refuse to see it

Im disappointed that logan was "banned", I was looking forward to debating warzone with him

Im actually surprised he did not have a heart attack when he found out he couldnt post here anymore :-P

I'm not planning to see the flick either. But after reading this thread for a year, it seems to have become addictive. I have viewed the trailers. Those are all I'll bother to watch. They give me no inclination to watch the finished product. That's just me.

As for TL, I do believe Tim posted that he is only out for a time and will be allowed back in a month or so. Sometimes it's good to take a break from these things, whether voluntary or not.

I'm not planning to see the flick either. But after reading this thread for a year, it seems to have become addictive. I have viewed the trailers. Those are all I'll bother to watch. They give me no inclination to watch the finished product. That's just me.

As for TL, I do believe Tim posted that he is only out for a time and will be allowed back in a month or so. Sometimes it's good to take a break from these things, whether voluntary or not.

I know it wasnt a perm ban, but still

and having devoted so much time here I think its appropriate that your respect the movie enough to form an opinion after seeing it, regardless of what you think your going into...........seems odd to spend hours upon hours here for absolutely no reason........

Well, I wouldn't say for no reason.

And, pardon my oddness.

Nothing to pardon Skye.

I wouldn't say for no reason either. Some folks here have already decided that Warzone is not the film for them but it shouldn't stop anyone from engaging in conversation or debate over the merits of the concept or promotion, regardless of having seen the film yet or not. We are a community after all ;)

And I value Skye's opinion whether I agree with it 100% of the time or not. Not trying to jump anyone's case here, I just thought this worthy of clarification.

- TB

For the record, I'm one of those 10 people who watched HOUSTON KNIGHTS. Use to love Michael Pare. I still watch STREETS OF FIRE about every year or so and turn people onto it whenever I can. A Walter Hill film with Michael Pare, Diane Lane, Amy Madigan, Willem Dafoe, and Rick Moranis. And let's not forget Bill Paxton, Deborah Van Valkenburgh, Elizabeth Daily, Rick Rossovich, Robert Townsend, Grand Bush, and Mykelti Williamson. I don't know if Pare was suited for THE PUNISHER. He always seemed very laid back. But as Tom Cody, boy could he fight. One of the coolest and most fun movies ever!

Nothing to pardon Skye.

I wouldn't say for no reason either. Some folks here have already decided that Warzone is not the film for them but it shouldn't stop anyone from engaging in conversation or debate over the merits of the concept or promotion, regardless of having seen the film yet or not. We are a community after all ;)

And I value Skye's opinion whether I agree with it 100% of the time or not. Not trying to jump anyone's case here, I just thought this worthy of clarification.

- TB

I would have to agree with Tim in that the supporting marketing and promotion is core to the end product. In brief neither is mutually exclusive - especially in this internet savy age.

Some may remember the advertising campaign for Big Trouble in Little China which caused the film to bomb - Who is Jack Burton? It was like huh?

Same goes for the marketing on Punisher War Zone - has it inticed me to go to the film - no. I'd much rather watch Gary Busey in Eye of the Tiger. Then again as discussed previously I don't see myself being in that target demograph that are just looking for cheap thrills and violence. It is the same mistake people make with Peckinpah. I enjoyed the 04 film because it became about character. I also enjoyed the 89 version because of the period it was produced in - and I find it funny seeing Sydney double as New York.

Oh and for clarification I'm not actually going to watch Eye of the Tiger - that is only once in a five year viewing cycle.

The question becomes can the film live up to expectation. Preconceptions and adaptations cause a mixture of responses.

thoughts.

Andrew

- TB

Oh, well, in that vein, you may as well publish Thomas's "review" of Punisher: War Zone now. :P Is there anybody here who honestly thinks it's NOT already been written?

I LOVED Streets of Fire. Willem Defoe was insanely wonderful and Lee Ving was in that! :lol: I wonder what happened to all those 80s LA punk rockers? I think I'll run and Google him. Who was that female punker....Exine or something like that?

Nomad

For the record, I'm one of those 10 people who watched HOUSTON KNIGHTS. Use to love Michael Pare. I still watch STREETS OF FIRE about every year or so and turn people onto it whenever I can. A Walter Hill film with Michael Pare, Diane Lane, Amy Madigan, Willem Dafoe, and Rick Moranis. And let's not forget Bill Paxton, Deborah Van Valkenburgh, Elizabeth Daily, Rick Rossovich, Robert Townsend, Grand Bush, and Mykelti Williamson. I don't know if Pare was suited for THE PUNISHER. He always seemed very laid back. But as Tom Cody, boy could he fight. One of the coolest and most fun movies ever!

Raises hand, me too! I loved that show! - although I was and am more of a Michael Beck fan (The Warriors). I agree that I found Michael Paré to be a bit of a laid back and sweet cat in real life (i.e., interviews), probably why he managed not to parlay those other films into greater success, as TB mentioned - and maybe not so great as The Punisher (although the pic that Raffi posted was good enough for an 80s Frank ;), most definitely). Thanks for the flashback, guys!

I LOVED Streets of Fire. Willem Defoe was insanely wonderful and Lee Ving was in that! :lol: I wonder what happened to all those 80s LA punk rockers? I think I'll run and Google him. Who was that female punker....Exine or something like that?

Nomad

Ran into Lee Ving at a Hollywood Collectibles show in Burbank last year. Guy hasn't changed a bit ;)

Speaking of which, Michael Beck was there too. Really nice guy. He looks pretty much the same too 'cept his hair has gone silver.

I still think he's a badass. Same goes for Ving. Remember that little film Black Moon Rising? Ving was a fun heavy in that.

And who could forget Ving as "Missoula" in Penelope Spheeris' AWESOME and long forgotten Dudes!

You mean Exine Cervenca? X Mrs. John Doe, X Mrs. Viggo Mortenson?

She rocks, I LOVE X.

Don't remember her from Streets Of Fire.

She's not listed in the cast unless she appeared without credit.

Someone do some homework for us ;)

Apologies for the 32nd time for going off topic ;)

- TB

Ran into Lee Ving at a Hollywood Collectibles show in Burbank last year. Guy hasn't changed a bit ;)

Speaking of which, Michael Beck was there too. Really nice guy. He looks pretty much the same too 'cept his hair has gone silver.

I still think he's a badass. Same goes for Ving. Remember that little film Black Moon Rising? Ving was a fun heavy in that.

And who could forget Ving as "Missoula" in Penelope Spheeris' AWESOME and long forgotten Dudes!

She rocks, I LOVE X.

- TB

STREETS OF FIRE is one of my absolute all time favourites. I cannot get enough of it. It's so odd, and thats what i love. totally unique comic book rock 'n' roll action noir (20 years before sin city!) of course the 80's stuff really glares now though. I like ry cooder's score - particularly the punchy stuff for the opening credits and that fight in the diner when we first meet pare. speaking of michael pare...so, so underrated and should have done bigger and better things. absolutely nailed the laconic, deadpan hero. It had a great cast...amy madigan was a hell of a lot of fun in it, she's a dynamite actress. anybody see gone baby gone? and rick moranis! what the hell has happened to the little fella?! I miss rick. and of course the great walter hill directing.

this 'X' girl isn't the one who does the crazy dancing in the blasters/'one bad stud' scene is it?

rock on

She rocks, I LOVE X.

- TB

No, Exene wasn't in Streets of Fire. I just thought of her when I thought of Lee Ving and Fear...same era. And I LOVED John Doe, but I had NO fooking clue that Exene had also married Viggo Mortenson! Wow! I never knew Viggo was that cool. :lol: And The Blasters...those two guys from Downey? Phil and Dave Alvin. I still have one of their albums.

And it's really great to hear that Lee Ving is still the same. Nice guy.

Edited to say, YES about Amy Madigan. She was great in that film. I think I need to buy it. And play it slow to see if Exene WAS the chick dancing when The Blasters were playing.

Oh, yeah, about Punisher War Zone...it's looking really good. :P Better than good!

People write to me about it all the time. I mean total strangers. And cast members and crew, too! I dunno where they find me-some on IMDb, some on the GPA, and some out of the blue! So far, other than the US, they come from Argentina, Russia, Italy, Australia and the Philippines. It's wild! The Punisher kingdom is EXCITED!!!

Nomad

Ooh! Edited again. this is from 2008. AGAIN, I had no clue she and John were still rocking!

Exene_John_Doe.jpg

This pic is the best I could do. But this is a great website. Go look.

Wow! I never knew Viggo was that cool.

You know he's in a band yeah? With Buckethead of all people! Kinda cool in itself, tho i've never heard any of his stuff I know Buckethead is one mean noodler and completely off his trolley!

Oh and thanks for the info on those guns Noeland (Blade 3 Beefeaters), pretty interesting but I wonder why they've taken a set of heavily customized guns from one Marvel film and placed them in The Punisher. Are these guns used for the promotional material only, or has anyone seen any clips of them in use elswhere?

Guest AdminGuyX

Ah . . . STREETS OF FIRE. I always loved how prominently The Blasters were featured in the movie. Big fan of their music. And they can still rock the song too, even if they are a bit long in the tooth, and wide in the waist.

And I had no idea Michael Pare was offered the role of Frank Castle. He'd of done well with it. Hell, he could probably still play the role. :)

I used to watch Houston Knights with my Mom, and my oldest brother Harry. We all loved the show, and were big fans of Pare as well. I watched Streets of Fire, and Eddie and The Cruisers with them too. Even watched the "Eddie" sequel, EDDIE LIVES!! Which was done for very little money and looks like a TV movie of the week.

Always told myself when I finally do a flick with a decent budget, I'm getting Michael Pare just so my Mom can freak out a little. :)

and rick moranis! what the hell has happened to the little fella?! I miss rick.

I don't remember where I heard this, so I can't reference it, but I heard that Moranis made such a huge chunk of dough on those two Honey I Shrunk the Kids movies, that he retired and headed back to Canada with the loot.

(I miss him, too.)

I don't remember where I heard this, so I can't reference it, but I heard that Moranis made such a huge chunk of dough on those two Honey I Shrunk the Kids movies, that he retired and headed back to Canada with the loot.

(I miss him, too.)

thats fair enough. good on him. suppose he just wanted to relax and spend time with the family (you know..shrinking them and enlarging them with his inventions...he he, couldn't resist :D )

i just looked him up on imdb and seems he's still doing bits and pieces of voiceover work for animation.

I hope he comes back for the third Ghostbusters. They never mentioned anything about him in regards to that.

I too miss Dark Helmet

-Raffi

Guest AdminGuyX

Road to Hell, as I understand it, is a train wreck of a greenscreen film that is best left unmentioned, forgotten, and dismissed as having anything to do with Streets of Fire.

It's really too bad that Hill never got to make his Streets trilogy.

:(

And, I can't say I really care if this thread goes off topic any longer.

Hahaha.

Tim?

Road to Hell, as I understand it, is a train wreck of a greenscreen film that is best left unmentioned, forgotten, and dismissed as having anything to do with Streets of Fire.

It's really too bad that Hill never got to make his Streets trilogy.

:(

And, I can't say I really care if this thread goes off topic any longer.

Hahaha.

Tim?

anyone here about that movie called punisher warzone coming out?