The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

@Raffi, Angela Donatelli was not in WIDOW MAKER, Annabella Gorrini was though. Donatelli is an original character.

The new PUNISHER: WAR ZONE featurette, linked by FearEmbodied, looks amazing.

Its getting harder and harder for me to beleive this movie will be anything short of awesome......

Ray looks like a god damn animal, scary scary man

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@Raffi, Angela Donatelli was not in WIDOW MAKER, Annabella Gorrini was though. Donatelli is an original character.

The new PUNISHER: WAR ZONE featurette, linked by FearEmbodied, looks amazing.

Yes that's who it was! Good catch Rampage. Thanks..... I only read the series once. It hasn't been out long enough for me to read it again.

-Raf

Guest AdminGuyX
216 pages of content...with probably only about 5 really worth reading.

Then add something worthwhile Fred.

:P

We don't need commentary on our commentray around here!!

:)

The new clip doesn't sell me on the movie yet. I've resolved myself to seeing it in the theater, and I hope my mind is changed by the film itself.

The new clip shows a few things we haven't seen, which I appreciate. The sniper rifle thing looks a bit silly to me in this clip. I'm happy to see that the HK rifle from some of the posters will be in the film though.

The more I see of him the more I'm loving Ray Stevenson as Frank...Some of those lines just flat out killed me...Priest:"So what's the plan?"...Frank: "An eye for an eye...and the cold, emotionless way he said "This is just the beginning..." was killer, I even loved the "get my hands on God line" a whole lot more this time around...I dont know why but it just felt different than it did in earlier trailers.

HAHAHAHA! Instant fucking classic Doss

I aim to please!

Hey Noeland...any way I can get a title? I don't care if it's "Resident Jackass". Mudwhistle just seems somewhat inappropriate. :(

OH, and not sure if this has been mentioned, but the death dates on the official Punisher War Zone site for the Castle family are listed as 2002! That would indicate that the origin will be a FLASHBACK as suggested before.

So it looks like Jigsaw

gets burned alive at the end, you would think they would have gone with something different rather than a riff on Saints death in the '04 movie

. That said it's better than how his death was originally written, a fucking cut to the leg.

So it looks like Jigsaw

gets burned alive at the end, you would think they would have gone with something different rather than a riff on Saints death in the '04 movie

. That said it's better than how his death was originally written, a fucking cut to the leg.

I hated the way Jigsaw died in the first draft. I also hated Frank's little line while he's bleeding out, too.

Yeah, they pretty just played it as a gag in the script. Shit, Howard Saint went out in a blaze of glory getting literally dragged to hell in the last movie, and out of all the retarded action that was in the early draft, that was the best that they could come for Jigsaw's demise?

I mean Hensleigh's The Punisher: War Zone draft's ending seemed like it fit in the Alexander draft.

Yeah, they pretty just played it as a gag in the script. Shit, Howard Saint went out in a blaze of glory getting literally dragged to hell in the last movie, and out of all the retarded action that was in the early draft, that was the best that they could come for Jigsaw's demise?

I mean Hensleigh's The Punisher: War Zone draft's ending seemed like it fit in the Alexander draft.

ever read the old script when this was still a sequel?

makes lexis script look oscar worthy

ever read the old script when this was still a sequel?

makes lexis script look oscar worthy

Yeah, I have and outside of a few problems; The priest stuff and the FBI agent stuff needed some more refining, and the ending went into kitchen sink mode for some reason. But I thought it was pretty solid for a first draft. I liked how Castle was written, I loved the opening, I liked the fact that Frank was mobile.

And the description of a character dying like a dog is not a horrible thing either.

Yeah, I have and outside of a few problems; The priest stuff and the FBI agent stuff needed some more refining, and the ending went into kitchen sink mode for some reason. But I thought it was pretty solid for a first draft. I liked how Castle was written, I loved the opening, I liked the fact that Frank was mobile.

Please tell me you're joking. Hensleigh's draft might be the single, worst script I've ever read. The only remotely "solid" moments (in my view) were the assault and escape at Ceaser's mansion and the very first scene of interaction between Stevie West and her father. Almost made me forget the incredibly lame Dirty Harry rip off in the beginning.

After that, everything went downhill. The script had almost no story, the "plot twists" that did exist were only the oldest and most predictable in the book, and Jonathan Hensleigh has absolutely no clue on how to write interesting supporting characters that don't distract from the main character and storyline.

The pacing did at least feel better than the first movie, which isn't saying a whole lot, though still an improvement. Hensleigh literally took captions almost verbatim from Nicky Cavella and just typed them under the name Jigsaw. Lazyiest from of "screen writing" I've ever seen. Stevie West is boring, B-movie material (I'm a female cop, but I'm also a TOUGH broad who knows how to take care of herself! :unsure: ) . Jigsaw only existed in what felt like the last few minutes of the script.

Castle gives the worst line in the script in the standoff scene between him and Russo, "Go ahead, just give me a(n) reason/excuse." The line is absurd not only because just seconds ago Castle mindlessly murdered one or two guards standing post outside the night club, whom he didn't even know, but now needs a reason to kill the very person HE KNOWS has been manipulating him for evil ends. And since when does the Punisher (you know, that guy whose sole purpose is to kill violent criminals?) suddenly need a(n) reason/excuse to kill violent criminals? Even ignoring the blatantly obvious and uninspired baiting technique Russo was using against Frank, it was simply some of THE poorest writing I've ever had the misfortune of reading in any form of Punisher fiction, fan fiction included.

In the same scene, Castle and Russo pointlessly stand around doing nothing, just waiting for a supporting character to take his cue and interrupt the scene, so you think. Low and behold, it plays out EXACTLY as you knew it would.

Wasn't Magenty also included in the Hensleigh draft? Haven't read it in a while and I can't find my old copy at the moment. I was sure he was the guy who got dropped off a forklift and into the ocean or lake inside a cage. Lexi's draft made much better use of that character and a more thrilling scene to watch IMO. Lexi also knows how to write interesting supporting characters whose interactions with one another feel organic and evolving. While Hensleigh's writing just feels like he was doing simplistic emotions by numbers.

By the end of what felt like the shortest script I'd read in a while, I couldn't have been more ecstatic that Heinous Hensleigh had exited the project long ago. Though neither one of these early drafts were in shooting shape, how anyone could read both of them and NOT come to the conclusion that Lexi Alexander is clearly the superior storyteller is beyond me.

PWZ having Frank burning Jigsaw alive has as much to do with the 2004 film as Ennis depicting Frank burning Tiberiu Bulat alive at the end of SLAVERS. Which is nothing. I'll take a Lexi Alexander filmed bloodfest in the Brad Street Hotel over Heinous Hensleigh's Wal-Mart extravaganza ANYDAY of the week!

Anyways, just my opinion.

Raffi, stop smoking crack ;)

- TB

Who me? :blink:

I'm not on crack, I'm just kinda wired...... I started Jane's diet and workout plan from his vigilante days. It was from his trainer John MacLaren. So far so good. I am gonna tweak the diet and have a cheat day on Sundays because I don't have to get ready for a movie role and I'm not getting paid the big bucks to do this lol. I just wanna lean and bulk.

Does this particular thread ever stay on topic?

-Raf

Archived