The Punisher: WarZone

The '04 movie only had a shooting budget of 30 million,travolta sucked up the budget, wasnt he payed something upwards of 12 million?

"This is a well-organized, comprehensive documentary that includes interviews with line producer John Stark and director Jonathan Hensleigh, in which he talks about the challenges of making an action film on a $30 million budge"

that was a point exactly, that so much of the budget was sucked up and lexi has used the money more wisely

Its not confirmed on either side (imdb says 22 gainer says 35) officially so we dont know

NRAMA: In terms of the larger view of the production, why was this movie shot in Tampa Florida as opposed to a city that looks more like New York like Toronto or Vancouver?

JH: With the budget we had we knew didn’t have the money to shoot it in Manhattan. We knew we were going to move it out of Manhattan. We just simply had no money. Look, this has never been reported but if you want hard statistics on the shooting of this film. It’s quoted widely that the picture was made for 30 or 32 million dollars. That’s not the case. The amount of money required over 50 days to actually shoot the images, our below the line costs, excluding the salaries we paid to the actors and all the other costs, was $13.5 million.

NRAMA: Wow…that’s pretty…cheap.

JH: The post production on it was about a million and a half. In other words, the shooting and all the post production, was probably about $15.5 million.

I stand corrected, it had two million more.

I dont think hensleigh tried hard enough, it was a great movie though and a major problem with the movie was the fact that castle just suddenly decides to keep hunting criminals

Though some poeple think the origin stayed similar its simply not the truth

castle became the punisher because his family was killed aot random, wrng place wrong time, and nothing was done about it........his resolve is what makes him so appealing, its not personal hes getting rid of them in a very cold and systematic way

but at the end he gets his revenge so what was the point of continuing?

And like I said he becomes the Punisher for a different reason then in the comic, it doesn't invalidate anything in my opinion, if you read his suicide note, that ends up becoming his first war journal entry gives a good reason for why, it's not in your face, ambiguity is nice every now and then. Also, Castle has killed the people responsible for his families death in the comic too, that didn't stop him one bit.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NRAMA: In terms of the larger view of the production, why was this movie shot in Tampa Florida as opposed to a city that looks more like New York like Toronto or Vancouver?

JH: With the budget we had we knew didn’t have the money to shoot it in Manhattan. We knew we were going to move it out of Manhattan. We just simply had no money. Look, this has never been reported but if you want hard statistics on the shooting of this film. It’s quoted widely that the picture was made for 30 or 32 million dollars. That’s not the case. The amount of money required over 50 days to actually shoot the images, our below the line costs, excluding the salaries we paid to the actors and all the other costs, was $13.5 million.

NRAMA: Wow…that’s pretty…cheap.

JH: The post production on it was about a million and a half. In other words, the shooting and all the post production, was probably about $15.5 million.

I stand corrected, it had two million more.

And like I said he becomes the Punisher for a different reason then in the comic, it doesn't invalidate anything in my opinion, if you read his suicide note, that ends up becoming his first war journal entry gives a good reason for why, it's not in your face, ambiguity is nice every now and then. Also, Castle has killed the people responsible for his families death in the comic too, that didn't stop him one bit.

Opps, well the budgets would have been much closer had it not been for travolta, the monumental failure

but at the end he gets his revenge so what was the point of continuing?

Cause he doesn't want people to go through what he did. He saw his innocent family die for no good reason and realized that there are more innocent people out there suffering. He's not trying to get revenge for everyone innocent, he just chooses to punish the guilty and try to rid as much scum as he can. What else does he have to do with his time now that he's lost everything? Like Jane said in the '04 film "They've got somethin to lose"

-Raffi

He sees first hand the failure of the justice system, as was shown in the animated prologue and having been in the FBI adds another level of loss to the character. Not only did he lose his family, but also lost one of his core beliefs, something he had dedicated his life to.

I'd say that Travolta was more the studio/Marvel's idea. I could be wrong though.

If i remember correctly, the studios wanted a more 'recognizable name', hence Travolta. As much as we love him, Thomas isn't widely known among the masses--unfortunately for them.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, Travolta has a home near Tampa in Clearwater. My understanding is he took a bit of a paycut to work so close to home. I think that factored into the location of the film being Tampa as well.

And hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure when they cast Travolta it was a damn happy day in the production offices. When he connects with the right role, the guy is amazing. Also, I wouldn't say he was a monumental failure in the role. He didn't hit a home run, but failure doesn't seem to fit either.

Back to war zone though . . . Wests line delivery reminds me a bit of Rocky from Loony Tunes. The squat little ganster with the big dumb friend, Mugsy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ss0v1uokEM

His delivery of that line "He ain't da only one can start a war" or whatever it is, well that's just terrible. Cringe inducing.

The difference this time is a more inexperienced director who truly wants to do it right and is extremely passionate about her work over an experienced higher profile guy who didn't try hard enough.

The Punisher was Hensliegh's first time directing a film. He'd only written films previously. More experience with the "hollywood machine" absolutely, but Lexi has directed a lot more than Hensliegh.

As for trying hard enough, I've maintained that he could have done better as a director several times in this thread, but for a FIRST FILM he could have done a hell of a lot worse too. I think he's got the toolbox, and the skills to make a great film, and truly hope one day he gets to show us all.

Thomas isn't widely known among the masses--unfortunately for them.

Lets hope some of that changes after HUNG hits HBO and Thomas is in your home once a week.

I really think that's going to be a big hit for everyone involved. But, you'd know more about that then we would. ;) Mister stand in.

Cause he doesn't want people to go through what he did.

Exactly, and the final vision of his wife, when he's intent on committing suicide, and he looks at his gun. You can take that scene a bunch of ways. Is she telling him to use his guns for some greater good? Is it just sinking in that he could do some good for people if he chooses life?

Under all of Frank's demons and shadows, and piles of bodies, his intent is to HELP.

The Punisher was Hensliegh's first time directing a film. He'd only written films previously. More experience with the "hollywood machine" absolutely, but Lexi has directed a lot more than Hensliegh.

As for trying hard enough, I've maintained that he could have done better as a director several times in this thread, but for a FIRST FILM he could have done a hell of a lot worse too. I think he's got the toolbox, and the skills to make a great film, and truly hope one day he gets to show us all.

Yeah, and despite what little clout he may have, it was his first movie and he was given $35 million for it, so the studio is going to want to have its say regarding. Had the film's budget only been like $13 million flat out he may have probably had more freedom to cast who he wanted.

Yeah, Travolta has a home near Tampa in Clearwater. My understanding is he took a bit of a paycut to work so close to home. I think that factored into the location of the film being Tampa as well.

And hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure when they cast Travolta it was a damn happy day in the production offices. When he connects with the right role, the guy is amazing. Also, I wouldn't say he was a monumental failure in the role. He didn't hit a home run, but failure doesn't seem to fit either.

Back to war zone though . . . Wests line delivery reminds me a bit of Rocky from Loony Tunes. The squat little ganster with the big dumb friend, Mugsy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ss0v1uokEM

His delivery of that line "He ain't da only one can start a war" or whatever it is, well that's just terrible. Cringe inducing.

Lets hope some of that changes after HUNG hits HBO and Thomas is in your home once a week.

I really think that's going to be a big hit for everyone involved. But, you'd know more about that then we would. ;) Mister stand in.

Thanks for the nod, pal!

Exactly, and the final vision of his wife, when he's intent on committing suicide, and he looks at his gun. You can take that scene a bunch of ways. Is she telling him to use his guns for some greater good? Is it just sinking in that he could do some good for people if he chooses life?

Under all of Frank's demons and shadows, and piles of bodies, his intent is to HELP.

Just found this on youtube. Is that the same kevin that was here one time, or was his name something else? Anyway, kind of interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzPQKKjgH5I

Yeah, it's the same guy and just kinda more of the same BS, for some reason he still has a raging hate boner for Gale Anne Hurd.

Regarding the length thing, my understanding (and I may be wrong), regarding scripts is it's 1 page = 1 minute. And the Lexi script is at about 102 pages, and the current time is at 108 minutes, so that seems about right. The 2004 film script was at something 134, I don't have pdf of it anymore so I can't really be sure.

For most people they seem to only really care about three things regarding this movie being a good Punisher movie, Central Park origin, gore and New York. I kind of envy that simple mindedness, but ultimately I want more from a Punisher film....ah well.

Yeah, it's the same guy and just kinda more of the same BS, for some reason he still has a raging hate boner for Gale Anne Hurd.

Regarding the length thing, my understanding (and I may be wrong), regarding scripts is it's 1 page = 1 minute. And the Lexi script is at about 102 pages, and the current time is at 108 minutes, so that seems about right. The 2004 film script was at something 134, I don't have pdf of it anymore so I can't really be sure.

For most people they seem to only really care about three things regarding this movie being a good Punisher movie, Central Park origin, gore and New York. I kind of envy that simple mindedness, but ultimately I want more from a Punisher film....ah well.

you think thats all punisher fans want?

dead wrong

I hope that they don't show a Marine Force Recon tattoo on Castle in the movie like Kevin's blurry pic showed on his youtube video. I think it would be stupid to see a tattoo on Frank. He's never had one in the comics in over 30 years. Why would he have one now?

you think thats all punisher fans want?

dead wrong

I didn't say all, I said most. I do think most will just care that it takes place in New York and is gory, and not really give a shit about anything else.

I would like for this movie to succeed and be wrong, I really would. I may be a fan of Jane, but I'm a Punisher fan first.

But I still wonder if Dec. 5th was the best decision to release it on. At least Lions Gate didn't decide to release it up against Quantum of Solace, and have another Kill Bill thing happen. But I can't help but think of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, that movie was released in December, was a bit of re-jiggering of a previous film, it was ultra violent. Just a thought.

Also, take a look at this other hiiii-larious video that Kevin made. He is such a comedic fucking genius.

Tim has been really cool about cutting gpa kevin some slack, over and above what that guy deserves. To join this community means you support it. This forum is not open to individuals who's only purpose is to come here to insult its founders. He did not have to post a link for that video here in order to get his point across. His last communications on this thread were more than enough for me. So with a smile on my face and a green light agreement from the boys, I'm happy to report that gpa kevin is no longer welcome here.

Thank you Mike V and justaguy for bringing this to our attention.

Trudell

Tim has been really cool about cutting gpa kevin some slack, over and above what that guy deserves. To join this community means you support it. This forum is not open to individuals who's only purpose is to come here to insult its founders. He did not have to post a link for that video here in order to get his point across. His last communications on this thread were more than enough for me. So with a smile on my face and a green light agreement from the boys, I'm happy to report that gpa kevin is no longer welcome here.

Thank you Mike V and justaguy for bringing this to our attention.

Trudell

I laughed, but its kind of rude

Well it's good riddance. The guys is obviously in his own little world where he believes he actually changed even one bit of the post-production work on War Zone: Punisher. So, I doubt he gives a shit about being banned here.

Guest AdminGuyX
Hmm, only 21 more days until War Zone. I'm only looking forward to this and 007 for the rest of the year, but I heard the new Bond is a huge step down from the last one. I really hope that's not true

Well, the new bond looks a hulluva' lot better then the new Punisher.

But, I'm sure that's because it had 10 times the budget.

;)

And, I really didn't think Kevin's little video was funny at all. Rude, cheap, petty, and pointless.

And, yeah, I only watched about 1 of the 8 minutes of that other thing he posted. Delusioins of grandure I suppose. But I had a feeling something like that was coming when he started asking Tim "what have you done?". That was just wierd.

Anyway, I look forward to discussing this further in 22 days.

:)

Tim has been really cool about cutting that dill weed some slack, over and above what that guy deserves. To join this community means you support it. This forum is not open to individuals who's only purpose is to come here to insult its founders. He did not have to post a link for that video here in order to get his point across. His last communications on this thread were more than enough for me. So with a smile on my face and a green light agreement from the boys, I'm happy to report that gpa kevin is no longer welcome here.

Thank you Mike V and justaguy for bringing the offensive stupidity to our attention.

Trudell

This sounds like quite the saga, sorry i missed it

So i finally broke down and watched this fucking thing--does he really think he's that fucking clever? We have all been involved in the discussions on Thomas' incident behind the wheel--how about a little human compassion? And what about those of us who have lost people due to drunk driving? To trivialize it as saying it was in any way related to The Punisher was reprehensible. The man lost someone, as many, many of us have. This guy is fuckin--

Okay, now my list of people i'd like to get my hands on is up to two--"god", and this fucking guy. Good luck, bubba.

Hmm, only 21 more days until War Zone. I'm only looking forward to this and 007 for the rest of the year, but I heard the new Bond is a huge step down from the last one. I really hope that's not true :(

looks like lionsgate really ramped up the advertising

almost a million hits on youtube

thats always good, I hope this movie does well I would love a franchise