The Punisher: WarZone

I just checked the Lexi Alexander video with the short gunfight clip and I have to say the editing is terrible. When it switched to the scenes with Frank shooting in random directions and people dying one after the other it felt like I was watching some sort of action movie parody.

The slow motion grenade scene was really unneeded too.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna guess right now, that there will be plenty of cheesy slow-mo shots in the movie.

Also to add to this line “He’s the Punisher! Of course he could do that!” Just because something may work in a comic book, doesn't mean it's a good idea to see live action. Instead of trying to elevate the material, they just apparently went fuck it, it's a comic book.

ray-rollins.jpg

He don't look bigger to me! Rollins is 5'9, not so big

Rollins is an awsome performer, I think Blag Flag were a good band, but I really got into Rollins much later. And yeah he's one intense guy, and he's certainly no unknown! He's gotta lot of films under his belt, I really enjoyed his appearance in Feast, I think we should get Coach from Feast and Buzz from The Tripper to do a movie together!

But Rollins for a Punisher movie? Maybe 10 years ago, and even then, although I agree he has the intensity of character in real life, i don't think he would make a better Punisher than Ray or Tom, although I think he probably would of given Dolph a run for his money.

And why do these actions stars always have to be uber buff? Seriously!?! I get kinda sick of Hollywood representing even the average guy as a gym nerd. Every movie when the guy strips down its like "Oh look, another "average guy" with a six pack!"

Military guys are usually lean anyway, since most of the training they do is aimed at stamina, not strength.

And did I read that right Thomas? You weren't impressed with Ray in Rome?

I think Rome ranks right up there with Deadwood (by the same team I think) Dexter, and The Wire as some of the best TV i've seen in a long time. And for me (and an awful lot of other fans) Ray really helped to make that series.

Still looking forward to PWZ!

By the way, did you notice that of the 4 TV series I Mentioned, 3 of them have actors in PWZ?

And why do these actions stars always have to be uber buff? Seriously!?! I get kinda sick of Hollywood representing even the average guy as a gym nerd. Every movie when the guy strips down its like "Oh look, another "average guy" with a six pack!"

Now you know how we girls feel! Don't you know we're all supposed to look like Cameron Diaz? ;)

Not everyone is saying this film is going to be rubbish!

From the Los Angeles Times:

Now comes a third try with the Lionsgate film "Punisher: War Zone," which stars Ray Stevenson and hits theaters Dec. 5. Thankfully, this time it actually looks pretty good

And ScreenRant:

Having said all that, although I’m not a big Punisher fan, while only a couple of days ago I said I wasn’t optimistic about this movie, the more I see of this film the more it looks like it’s much more true to the comic book than the previous film.

From ComicBookMovie.com:

The new video clip that appeared on the official site is bloody good

Well it looks like i'm not the only one thinking this might turn out alright!

Now you know how we girls feel! Don't you know we're all supposed to look like Cameron Diaz?

What... you don't?? aarghh! :P

Saying that, I much prefer Cameron in The mask, same with Angelina, liked her in Gone in 60 seconds, but seriously scrawny thereafter! But thats just a looks thing, as actors I think Cameron has been superb, Jolie.... not so much!

But yeah, I get your point. It seems you have to be some kind of Super Actor to get away with playing a normal human being these days. They're all starting to look kinda generic gym dudes or Playboy centerfolds!

Anyway, you look quite sweet Amy ;) Though I think you're possibly lying about your age....

you're not alone swebb51, im so looking forward to this flick.

the chandelier scene reminds me of Boondock Saints. as a matter a fact, WARZONE reeks of BoondockSaints, and thats a good thing.

the chandelier scene reminds me of Boondock Saints. as a matter a fact, WARZONE reeks of BoondockSaints, and thats a good thing.

I fisrt heard mention of Boondock Saints on this forum. I checked it out and yeah, I really liked it. Mind you, they had a real good way of getting them hanging from the ceiling!

Guest AdminGuyX
But yeah, I get your point. It seems you have to be some kind of Super Actor to get away with playing a normal human being these days. They're all starting to look kinda generic gym dudes or Playboy centerfolds!

Ray's build is not "the" problem for anyone but TL. And he has every right to feel the way he feels, and for that to be his own reasons.

I'm sure you have films you love and hate for your own reasons, we all do.

With respect to folks who bulk up at the gym, that's what they're into. It's what they want to see. And really, I think Frank Castle should be muscular, not lean. It's just the way the character has always looked. He's a BIG dude.

Military guys are usually lean anyway, since most of the training they do is aimed at stamina, not strength.

Again, I think we're talking about FRANK here. While the average soldier is probably just lean, some of them are gym rats, and they are pretty big dudes.

I fisrt heard mention of Boondock Saints on this forum. I checked it out and yeah, I really liked it. Mind you, they had a real good way of getting them hanging from the ceiling!

Exactly. Boondocks Saints was a quirky film, not for everyone, and they were hanging upside down because of a mistake, not by choice.

I have a feeling PWZ is also going to be a quirky film that's not for everyone, just in it's own way.

WARZONE reeks of BoondockSaints, and thats a good thing.

What? How the heck does it reek of Boondock Saints? Outside of the upside down shooting thing, which is apparently a very different context than Boondocks, I'm curious why you feel this.

Micro doesn't shoot a cat does he?

;)

What? How the heck does it reek of Boondock Saints? Outside of the upside down shooting thing, which is apparently a very different context than Boondocks, I'm curious why you feel this.

Micro doesn't shoot a cat does he?

;)

just the whole over the top action not to be taken serious, but just eye candy for us to sit back and enjoy the BOOM. im just going by the miniscule trailers out there, and they offer nothing but.

Guest AdminGuyX

But, I think we're supposed to be taking the action in PWZ serious.

I mean, I don't think we are, but we're supposed to. Unless I'm reading it all wrong.

It's not like Shoot em up, where the film was intended as tongue in cheek. Maybe it is accidentally like Shoot em up . . .

Is anyone actually OK with a silly carrot munching type of Frank Castle? If they went that way?

That's an honest question. I'm curious.

I think it would just be a huge mistake to go in that direction.

Ray's build is not "the" problem for anyone but TL. And he has every right to feel the way he feels, and for that to be his own reasons.

Thats a bit defensive, and out of context with the comment. I have no issue with an individuals desire for a particular physique, since I'm off to the gym in an hour to "buff up" I think it would be a bit hypocritical of me to say otherwise. My comment is aimed at the representation of people in movies, most actors are buffed now, most people are not. As Amy pointed out, this has been an issue with the portayal of women for some time. Now were all getting it!

I think Frank Castle should be muscular, not lean. It's just the way the character has always looked. He's a BIG dude.

Thats fair enough, but all comic heroes have had almost identical physiques. I think Ray is a very good likeness to some of Bradstreets covers, and Ray is a BIG dude!

Is anyone actually OK with a silly carrot munching type of Frank Castle? If they went that way?

Nope

Guest AdminGuyX
Thats a bit defensive, and out of context with the comment.

If you thought it was defensive, then you're misunderstanding my post. It was just an explanation.

My comment is aimed at the representation of people in movies, most actors are buffed now, most people are not. As Amy pointed out, this has been an issue with the portayal of women for some time. Now were all getting it![/

I know what you meant. The context still holds. People will take this kind of thing as a like or dislike. It doesn't bother everyone, it doesn't make everyone self conscious to see a physically fit protagonist on screen solving problems. Male or female.

Action films in particular are an idealization of themes and character. Most of what you see in film anyway, be it conversations, car chases, shootouts, character development, dreams, tragedy, loss, etc. are idealized in some fashion. Why should the way the characters look be any different?

Maybe I'm not understanding what we're discussing. I sincerely apologize if I am missing the point.

:)

Thats fair enough, but all comic heroes have had almost identical physiques. I think Ray is a very good likeness to some of Bradstreets covers, and Ray is a BIG dude!

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's the idealized super-man phsyique. Again, how can you be a super hero without being in top physical shape? Seems to go hand in hand to me.

Can't say that ever bothered me too much, but I steer clear of super hero books for the most part, for other reasons.

I know Ray's a big dude. I know he looks like Tim's covers. I believe that either Steve or Lexi explained that Ray was cast for that very reason, because he could portray Tim's covers. I love that, but I doubt that's going to be enough to carry warzone.

It's not like Castle is supposed to look like Super-Man.... he's just a guy who's in great physical shape for a man his age. That's all he needs to look like. Simple. It bothers me that Stevenson didn't buff up for the role but whata you gonna do? He coulda roided with that month and a half and throughout filming ;)

One thing is sure ´Punisher Warzone' wont be as bad as Dolph Lungren's 88 Punisher.

It's not like Castle is supposed to look like Super-Man.... he's just a guy who's in great physical shape for a man his age. That's all he needs to look like. Simple. It bothers me that Stevenson didn't buff up for the role but whata you gonna do? He coulda roided with that month and a half and throughout filming ;)

The fact he doesn't have that gut like he did toward the end of Rome is good enough for me. The fact that he didn't buff is the least of my worries for this film.

The last 30 seconds of that Rob Zombie are pretty cool, but beyond that...it fucking sucked!

Of all the other soundtrack samples, Ramallah were largely the only ones I thought were pretty good. In other words, the soundtrack is shaping up to be pretty much as expected - mediocre.

But I'm more interested in the score.

I didn't even want a soundtrack for the movie. I think the character interpreted on film only needs a score.

Same goes for when Wolverine comes out. I don't want a soundtrack.... just a score. Harry Gregson-Williams is gonna do a kick ass job with that by the way.

-Raf

i really dig Zombie, and i know he's a comic book nut (so i don't blame him for wanting to be involved), but i have to agree with you Raffi--The Punisher only needs a score. '04 had a couple of cool tracks, but was really unnecessary, the score was what brought it home.

That being said, i really got off on the line 'In the Warzone, i die alone'. That was fuckin cool.