The Punisher: WarZone

I personally dont think his career will be hurt too bad by this movie...

He just needs to find a vehicle that will erase Warzone from people's minds.

Looking forward to that review TL...I just hope MP is as good as Death Sentence or The Brave One as far as revenge movies are concerned.

Excellent films.

I thought The Brave One was SUCH a great homage to Death Wish and Taxi Driver.

Death Sentence was more original and I watched it twice.

MAX PAYNE is looking fantastic.

Dark and noirish.

Mark is at his best and I don't expect any less from the guy on a project like this.

Tomorrow will be fun.

-TL

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just needs to find a vehicle that will erase Warzone from people's minds.

Excellent films.

I thought The Brave One was SUCH a great homage to Death Wish and Taxi Driver.

Death Sentence was more original and I watched it twice.

MAX PAYNE is looking fantastic.

Dark and noirish.

Mark is at his best and I don't expect any less from the guy on a project like this.

Tomorrow will be fun.

-TL

I agree TBO and Death Sentence were both smashed on by the critics (43% and 19% respectively on Rottentomatoes)...But I loved both those films...I hope the same happens with me for Max Payne.

I think I'll expand on this just a bit. This post won't last here too long but maybe long enough for you to see it (sorry, forgot your name already).

In the beginning, my outrage was personal. Being a huge fan of Ray Stevenson's, I was VERY unhappy to see what could be his breakthrough film dissed...and by a fellowACTOR, no less! Reprehensible, that was. But as time went on and Jane's comments finally had less and less effect on PWZ, the thing I became fascinated with was watching a person repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot and FOR NO APPARENT ADVANTAGE other than to vent. Very curious!

Hollywood is one of those places where personal relationships really count. So it's very unusual to see something like what Jane keeps doing, at least it's unusual to see it happening publicly. I have to tell you I'm utterly fascinated by it!

Here's a relatively talented guy (not Lord Oliver, Sean Penn or even Tom Hanks, but a relatively talented guy) with a future, supposedly, in Hollywood yet whenever he can, he snipes at other PROFESSIONALS who really had nothing to do with whatever his issue was in the first place. And I'm not saying he had no issue coz he certainly DID have one. But he's aiming his arrows at the wrong targets, damaging himself for the most part. Other than to the half a dozen guys on this board who really give a shit, a lot of the reaction "out there" is that Jane is a whiner. Does he want that? Does he even realise that? I don't think so, in either case. So consider I'm doing him a favor by bringing it to his attention.

Anyhow, right now, I'm here for the human drama of it. But if you can tell where another actor is continually self-destructing his own reputation, and in public, I'll be happy to go there and watch THAT guy. I don't think you can think of one though, can you?

Edited to say: After just reading your post above, Trudell, I think you can understand my initial issue. Jane was hurting somebody *I* cared about, which is what brought Jane to my attention in the first place. That doesn't really matter much, just thought it interesting.

Nomad

First let me say that Thomas definitely marches to the beat of a different drum. He's not the kind of person who internalizes much.

Regardless. It looks very evident that you've been offended by him from the start. You saw Thomas' comment regarding Warzone as a personal affront against Ray Stevenson?

I think it's been talked about at length that Thomas wasn't even aware of who Ray Stevenson was when he was cast so that sounds like you taking something a little too personally. That kind of assumed collateral damage is mostly people reading what they want into the statement. It hangs there to be dissected and translated into anything that suits the needs of the person who has taken offense. You admire Ray, that's wonderful, I hear he's a really great guy. If memory serves, Tom had just recently had to turn his back on something he really believed in because the studio wasn't interested in trying to do something more with the material than create more of the same thing. That's pretty frustrating. I can hardly blame him for feeling burnt at having no support in reaching for something more. I guess I understand your thoughts to a degree, but I also believe you may possibly be wrapped up in things a little too tightly. You infer that you want to like Thomas but it looks like you take every opportunity there is to hang him from the fencepost. So that doesn't really come off as an earnest statement.

Further, you make a judgmental show of being offended at Thomas' behavior in reference to other professionals involved when he flat out explained to you that his comments were directed at studio decisions. I think you are doing a bit of creative translating where his comments are concerned. Forgive me for saying so but I think you have a chip on your shoulder every bit as much as Thomas, the difference being Thomas (as you agree) certainly did have an issue. A very real one. How exactly have you been harmed by all of this? Because for a brief moment it shined a negative light on a project, and a character you had no prior love for until Ray became involved? You yourself mention that Jane's comments mean less and less where the success of this film is concerned. Does that also include his acknowledgment of Ray earlier in these pages?

The "Whiner" tag is something people like you are propagating when you get your feelings hurt because Thomas isn't going around singing hymns about how great this project is. The minute he speaks up and, God forbid, shares his disappointment with his fans you run quick to the nearest post-all to talk about what a baby he's being.

Who is really the whiner? You guys have no real stake at that level, never did. It's pure unadulterated fan melodrama at work, which adds up since you mention you are here for the human drama of it. A year long human drama. Good grief. I guess you can't really have a human drama without a hero and a villain. I wonder if you hadn't picked yours a long time ago.

I apologize for the tint of frustration in my response. You see, to me, you are hurting someone I care about. The difference is I know Thomas and he's a friend.

I'm not attempting to suggest that your feelings are less meaningful regarding Ray, but there is a difference.

I appreciate your thoughts and this discussion but I detect an agenda that you appear reticent to acknowledge.

Trudell

PS. Message to our members. Your comments germane to this discussion are appreciated but please make sure those comments remain constructive.

No glib jabs please.

Mark Wahlberg didn't begin his career as a leading man with a garbage movie like Warzone.

-TL

Now you're just being stubborn Thomas.

Yes, he did have Boogie Nights, with a great ensemble and a great director. But I wouldn't be chanting praises too loud for The Big Hit, or The Corrupter.

Followed by that string of hits, Planet Of the Apes, Rock Star, and The Truth About Charlie? Rome was pretty great and Ray was pretty great in it. PWZ gave him an opportunity as a leading man in a fairly high profile action movie. He fell in love with the character by all accounts. How do you begrudge him for that?

That's a rhetorical question.

Trudell

Also to add, Tom is obviously coming at this as a fan of the character.

So, if Nomad or anybody took a book/comic character that you are a fan of and it's being made into a movie, and a director has been chosen that you don't feel is the right choice. I know I sure has hell am going to make my feelings known and have.

I'll bring up the Tim Story analogy again, I didn't have to see his other movies to know he shouldn't have made the Fantastic Four films. I have seen Lexi's short film and feature and don't think she the right choice, not to mention her poor attempt to take a pot shot at The Shield and Narc by saying the Punisher can't work as an realistic urban crime film.

Yes, he did have Boogie Nights, with a great ensemble and a great director. But I wouldn't be chanting praises too loud for The Big Hit, or The Corrupter.

Followed by that string of hits, Planet Of the Apes, Rock Star, and The Truth About Charlie? Rome was pretty great and Ray was pretty great in it. PWZ gave him an opportunity as a leading man in a fairly high profile action movie. He fell in love with the character by all accounts. How do you begrudge him for that?

Trudell

Not even Bokeem Woodbine could save The Big Hit.

Also, I would throw in Shooter, We Own the Night and The Happening.

My favorite lampoon of The Happening was The Crappening.

I know, it's easy but it's still funny.

Holy smokes, A guy works all day and misses the DA - R A M A.

I'm not surprised by Nomad's IMDB posting. She's been VERY protective of Warzone since Ray, day one.

She's just sensitive ;)

Thanks to all for behaving for the most part.

I'm staying out of this one. The Electric Eye has this one covered.

I have nothing much else to add except Tom seems like he's moved on pretty fucking well with Give 'Em Hell Malone!

I'm a heartbeat away from adding more pics that Tom sent over earlier tonight. Read 'em and fucking well weep.

Apologies for going off topic.

- TB

I was lurking over at the IMDb boards, I can't say I'm shocked that this is the excerpt that they decided to put on the FAQ thread in regards to Jane leaving, they chose to leave out the bit where he says he didn't think the studio was up for making a quality film and only cared about DVD sales. It's funny is all.

" [...] when they said no to Hill, I knew it was over. That's when I said you know what, this is NOT going to happen with me. Can't pay me enough. [...] I didn't work for a YEAR after "The Punisher" came out. Who knows how long it would have been after this one. I for one was not happy with the goofy *beep* in the first film. I for one campaigned to have it take place in NYC. I thought Florida was a joke. Lost that battle. So could I walk back in to another one and say yes, let's make this one even worse?"

Norse Sage is the author of that faq.

It's no secret he's not a fan of the 2004 film, but he's been very objective in these halls and last I checked, fair about stuff in the faq.

That extra line would have been nice though. It completes the thought, and consequently the true meaning behind the preamble of the quoted paragraph.

- TB

no comment.

those two little words can be taken so many different ways.

i guess that's why politicians and lawyers and police officers love them.

actors? personally i've never really taken seriously anything an actor has ever had to say about anything,

outside their written dialogue, and that's pretty goddamn hit or miss too, wouldn't you say?

whether or not ms. alexander is a good director is hardly for me to say.

but i think i know acting by now and mr. stevenson is a very good one, in my humble opinion.

he'll be fine, regardless of what fate has in store for P2. like they say, the cream always rises.

or put another way - you can be a hit in a shit.

i like this forum. it's mine. i try to reserve most of my (public) thoughts and comments for these pages.

if people want to to read them, great. they can read them and read into them whatever they like.

we created this place as a sounding board for the kind of stuff we like and the kind of stuff we want to say,

'we' being whomever wants to become a member of this small, quixotic, mostly intelligent and above all passionate fold.

and yes, lurkers are welcome.

you can cut and paste our comments here any way you like.

i'm gonna keep saying whatever the hell i want to say. i'll keep talking about the kind of films i wanna see (and don't)

and i'm listening for the kind of films you wanna see (and don't) and i'm gonna try and make those kind of dreams a reality,

and i'm hoping you are trying to make those kind of dreams a reality too.

for me at least, that's what this place is all about.

it ain't easy. and it doesn't always work out. no one knows that better than me.

doesn't mean i'm gonna quit raging against the dying of the light.

listen or don't.

no comment.

those two little words can be taken so many different ways.

i guess that's why politicians and lawyers and police officers love them.

actors? personally i've never really taken seriously anything an actor has ever had to say about anything,

outside their written dialogue, and that's pretty goddamn hit or miss too, wouldn't you say?

whether or not ms. alexander is a good director is hardly for me to say.

but i think i know acting by now and mr. stevenson is a very good one, in my humble opinion.

he'll be fine, regardless of what fate has in store for P2. like they say, the cream always rises.

or put another way - you can be a hit in a shit.

i like this forum. it's mine. i try to reserve most of my (public) thoughts and comments for these pages.

if people want to to read them, great. they can read them and read into them whatever they like.

we created this place as a sounding board for the kind of stuff we like and the kind of stuff we want to say,

'we' being whomever wants to become a member of this small, quixotic, mostly intelligent and above all passionate fold.

and yes, lurkers are welcome.

you can cut and paste our comments here any way you like.

i'm gonna keep saying whatever the hell i want to say. i'll keep talking about the kind of films i wanna see (and don't)

and i'm listening for the kind of films you wanna see (and don't) and i'm gonna try and make those kind of dreams a reality,

and i'm hoping you are trying to make those kind of dreams a reality too.

for me at least, that's what this place is all about.

it ain't easy. and it doesn't always work out. no one knows that better than me.

doesn't mean i'm gonna quit raging against the dying of the light.

listen or don't.

Raging against the dying of the light, is it? That’s pretty good spin to put on what is essentially whining. It’ll likely work here.

The usefulness of a phrase like “no comment’ is to use when someone has something to say but doesn’t want to accept the responsibility of having said it. Ergo, you can say “no comment” with respect to your judgment of Lexi Alexander’s talent as a director and not actually have to own your opinion, be judged for it one way or the other. You’ve managed to hit and run, Tom, slur her but in a cowardly, back-handed way you won’t actually have to defend. Nice.

That’s raging against the dying light, is it?

In this metaphor, I assume you mean that you think of yourself as a crusader for quality films in an era where that quality is declining. Yes? Better that you should concentrate on actually making better films, Tom, than whining about the one that got away and denigrating, in a cowardly fashion, those artists who came after you. Get over it, Sugar, and move on. You’ll be better off.

Nomad

Raging against the dying of the light, is it? That’s pretty good spin to put on what is essentially whining. It’ll likely work here.

The usefulness of a phrase like “no comment’ is to use when someone has something to say but doesn’t want to accept the responsibility of having said it. Ergo, you can say “no comment” with respect to your judgment of Lexi Alexander’s talent as a director and not actually have to own your opinion, be judged for it one way or the other. You’ve managed to hit and run, Tom, slur her but in a cowardly, back-handed way you won’t actually have to defend. Nice.

That’s raging against the dying light, is it?

In this metaphor, I assume you mean that you think of yourself as a crusader for quality films in an era where that quality is declining. Yes? Better that you should concentrate on actually making better films, Tom, than whining about the one that got away and denigrating, in a cowardly fashion, those artists who came after you. Get over it, Sugar, and move on. You’ll be better off.

Nomad

I could be wrong but I thought he said "no comment" as a response towards a post saying that Lexi isn't the right person to direct WarZone, not one talking about whether or not she has any talent.

BTW: I have a new favorite phrase..."a hit in a shit" haha that just sounds cool. :lol:

Guest AdminGuyX

Nomad, I think you might be taking his post the wrong way, and with entirely too much venom.

Tom doesn't need me to jump to his defense, but I would like to comment on a few things here.

personally i've never really taken seriously anything an actor has ever had to say

When actors get up on a high horse I generally tune out. It's an opinion just like any other opinion, I figure. Just happens they get occasional press coverage.

It’ll likely work here.

Do you think this is really called for Nomad? Taking cheap shots at the board as a whole doesn't reflect well on you, and makes me wonder why you're here at all, if you feel so badly about us, and about Tom?

Do you honestly feel this way? Like we'll just swallow whatever Tom has to say, and never disgaree or question with his opinion? Do you really think Tom is a coward who dishes out backhanded slurs?

I thought his meaning was petty clear, and not cowardly. I don't think his feelings on the new film are any kind of secret, or ever have been.

You shouldn't disregard the work he did, and the passion he put into this "orginally a sequel" project before he walked away from it, when you consider his opinions. I think it's a mistake to say he's not owning his opinion too. He is.

How do you think you would feel Nomad, if you were in Tom's shoes? Consider the big picture now, think about if you were the star of a film, helped in the search for a new director, battled studio heads to get the sequel into the right city, etc, and then found yourself walking away from it one day? Then, you saw footage of what it had become and it was exactly everything you never wanted it to be?

If you only consider that 1 post, which I don't think you should be doing, then maybe your comments would ring true for me. As it is they feel more like a personal attack than anything else.

Ahem . . .

personally i've never really taken seriously anything an actor has ever had to say

Nomad, obviously you don't care for the guy if you're posting these kinds of statements, and maybe you should own that opinion?

I can't help but feel that you are reading into it his words, and taking it too seriously. Obviously Tom feels strongly about creating a certain kind of film, and like many of us who wanted to see that same kind of movie feel the same way.

And we appreciate the work he's done since because he's making the kinds of film we enjoy.

I chuckled when I read Tom's post, and thought "Hey, that might be the longest one he's ever written here."

It didn't read like sour grapes to me, and I think Tom is over it, and has moved on.

That doesn't mean he can't have an opinion of what's happened since he's walked away, does it?

"Mark Wahlberg didn't begin his career as a leading man with a garbage movie like Warzone."

Thomas - Please forgive me, I was copying and pasting and quoting and fiddling trying to post my response and I accidentally posted my response over your post.

I was distracted and forgot where I was. I did not mean to erase the things you said and the only line I could salvage was the one above.

It was not intentional and a I feel horrible.

If you want to repost your thoughts, send them to me in a PM and I'll re-edit to read as it was originally intended.

So sorry!

Trudell

I went back to page 191 to read the context of the infamous "no comment" comment. (Did that make sense?) Anyway, when I first read that post, my first thought was that TJ was thinking about Walter Hill, whom he had wanted to direct, and just didn't want to say it for the 50 zillionth time! I don't know if that's accurate or not. That's just my interpretation of his "comment." All this to say, when you read a post on line - any post - it goes through the filter in the person's head who's reading it. The more nebulous the comment, the more easily it can be filtered to sound like whatever the reader wants to think about it. Most of the folks here aren't new to message boards. We know that you can't hear how the person sounds when they're "saying" what they post. This is all in the interpretation of the reader. Does the reader want to interpret it positively or negatively?

I think I'll stop myself there.

when you have a baby that you have clothed and fed with all your dreams and dreams are wrapped around her head and she is going to a very special school and that school is very hard to get into and you've really sacrificed yourself for that kid and helped her pass all the tests and that school tells you that you've worked so hard to make it in there and she is gonna get everything you'd hoped from a school like that and you pat your baby's ass and look into her big wet eyes and tell her it's gonna be aokay and she disappears down those long while halls and she is never, ever heard from again - that's whining, yes it is. it's coming from somewhere deep inside you and you don't know what it is until you remember a playground when you were little and someone took your thing away. then the school tells you they never really could honor those promises now, they have budget constraints and bottom line numbers to look at and besides if the company (school) goes under next year it'll be your fault for bringing baby to them and getting her enrolled there in the first place - that she is a weight upon their shoulders now - that's howling. and when you ask for her to come back home and the school says no you can't have baby back, baby needs to stay now and work off that debt she owes to the school for grooming her and constructing her into a new hitherto thing unheard of and no you can't have her back and she's crying - that's called rage. pure and unadulterated. and then comes denial, and then fear, and then a kind helpless surrender. the connection is gone. the baby is gone, never to return. fingers are pointed lies are made and smashed and made again. and all the pointing seems to point back to you - that's guilt. Guilt is the wet nurse of rage and the whole torturous beast starts to spasm again... but there still is no baby. nor will there ever be one, just like her. So like a warm blanket of acceptance lays down with rage and they sing to each other - some incredibly beautiful / ugly things have been created this way - and when rage and acceptance have spent themselves, when their is nothing left to whine or rage or howl about - that's when peace finally comes creeping under the blanket and nestles herself right in the small hole the baby left behind, all that time ago. now, and only now, IF you have raged against the dying of the light, something beautiful has a chance to make itself known.

when you have a baby that you have clothed and fed with all your dreams and dreams are wrapped around her head and she is going to a very special school and that school is very hard to get into and you've really sacrificed yourself for that kid and helped her pass all the tests and that school tells you that you've worked so hard to make it in there and she is gonna get everything you'd hoped from a school like that and you pat your baby's ass and look into her big wet eyes and tell her it's gonna be aokay and she disappears down those long while halls and she is never, ever heard from again - that's whining, yes it is. it's coming from somewhere deep inside you and you don't know what it is until you remember a playground when you were little and someone took your thing away. then the school tells you they never really could honor those promises now, they have budget constraints and bottom line numbers to look at and besides if the company (school) goes under next year it'll be your fault for bringing baby to them and getting her enrolled there in the first place - that she is a weight upon their shoulders now - that's howling. and when you ask for her to come back home and the school says no you can't have baby back, baby needs to stay now and work off that debt she owes to the school for grooming her and constructing her into a new hitherto thing unheard of and no you can't have her back and she's crying - that's called rage. pure and unadulterated. and then comes denial, and then fear, and then a kind helpless surrender. the connection is gone. the baby is gone, never to return. fingers are pointed lies are made and smashed and made again. and all the pointing seems to point back to you - that's guilt. Guilt is the wet nurse of rage and the whole torturous beast starts to spasm again... but there still is no baby. nor will there ever be one, just like her. So like a warm blanket of acceptance lays down with rage and they sing to each other - some incredibly beautiful / ugly things have been created this way - and when rage and acceptance have spent themselves, when their is nothing left to whine or rage or howl about - that's when peace finally comes creeping under the blanket and nestles herself right in the small hole the baby left behind, all that time ago. now, and only now, IF you have raged against the dying of the light, something beautiful has a chance to make itself known.

That is really an excellent analogy, Thomas. i hope this will make people realize how important The Punisher is to you...

Mark Wahlberg didn't begin his career as a leading man with a garbage movie like Warzone.

-TL

Trudell

Ok, what's happening here is you guys are using Mark Wahlberg as a whipping boy in an effort to somehow defend the chances of Ray Stevenson escaping the catastrophe that is Warzone.

- TL

Not true at all Thomas. In my case I'm addressing a statement you made with a counter, which speaks for itself.

Read what you said.

"Mark Wahlberg didn't begin his career as a leading man with a garbage movie like Warzone."

That is the comment I'm being specific to. Evidence would suggest that your statement is built on a foundation of sand.

Of course that's all dependent on how you rate the films I mentioned. You could defend those films to help prove your point but instead you're changing the subject.

I can't answer to what Mike's intentions were.

Trudell

So i finally broke down and watched the red band trailer, and the 'exclusive' Lexi-clip--and remain thoroughly unimpressed. You guys are right, the editing seems off, and the red band trailer is just too much fucking chaos with no real context. And the "song" blew dog. While i understand they are trying to cater to a certain market with these clips, the thing they fail to realize is we are that market--while senseless violence can be fun, there still needs to be something behind it. Oh, for the glory days when a trailer actually enticed viewers with some entertainment, rather than pure shock value.

That sounds like some very good advice. It also sounds like Marty Feldman telling Bette Davis she has big eyes.

Trudell

That is fucking hilarious!

Trudell

I was responding to his Hollywood isn't forgiving to people who have made shitty movies, and Wahlberg was just the name that happened to have popped into my head. The guy has made some good movies, there's no denying that but he also has plenty of shitty ones on his resume and doesn't seem to have trouble getting work.

Not true at all Thomas. In my case I'm addressing a statement you made with a counter, which speaks for itself.

Read what you said.

That is the comment I'm being specific to. Evidence would suggest that your statement is built on a foundation of sand.

Of course that's all dependent on how you rate the films I mentioned. You could defend those films to help prove your point but instead you're changing the subject.

Trudell

Trudell, how is my statement built on a foundation of sand???

Are you saying being the lead of Boogie Nights was a bad way to start a career?

Mark Wahlberg began with Boogie Nights at an age 10 years younger than Ray Stevenson.

Stevenson is beginning with Warzone and he's in his mid 40s.

What does that say?

Mark went on to make GREAT films, and I seriously doubt that woulda been able to happen had he began with a crapper like Warzone.

When an actor [like Mickey Rourke for instance] begins with great work, its easy to overlook bad work that came after.

-TL