The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

Guest FADoss

I think there's been a lot of breath wasted declaring definites, like anyone here has any stake in this movie actually being bad.

Thanks for pointing out that website justaguy! Good to see it updated...though they didn't "add" much other than flare.

Looking at that neon cross I finally remembered what some of the lighting reminds me of...and Noeland may KILL me for saying this. Mark that I am not comparing the quality of the films...but all this dark neon kind of reminds me of "Blade Runner". Again, don't read more into that than I mean by it.

Fred

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FADoss
I've been to plenty of churches, I'm assuming this is a Catholic one and I've never seen a neon cross in any of them. Bad florescent lighting, but not neon they just went over board with it in my opinion.

St._Paul_by_nite_op_800x547.jpg

neon-cross200.jpg

471922545_570deb77eb.jpg

DSCN1260.JPG

DSC00589a.jpg

DSC00592a.jpg

You quoted the wrong thing Fred, I saw you in the multiplayer game over at the Brad Street Hotel site.

The games retarded, it keeps either kicking me off or people just keep quitting.

Besides with the cross thing, I was going by my personal experience.

Guest FADoss

Yeah, the game is pretty dumb. I much prefer Republic Commando for execution of mass violence on the web.

To your credit, I've never SEEN one either, but it's not THAT far outside of reality.

Fred

I just don't like the neon.

I would have loved if it was more dark shadows, something that makes it look like Frank could be hiding in and waiting and that sort harsh top lighting that's used on Tim's covers.

That's just my personal feeling on it.

Guest FADoss

Hey...I hate to break this too you, but you know what else NYC doesn't actually have? FRANK CASTLE. I think I may be the only guy here who actually DIGS the lighting. I'm such an uncultured bastard. :D

It just looks cool.

Fred

I've been to plenty of churches, I'm assuming this is a Catholic one and I've never seen a neon cross in any of them. Bad florescent lighting, but not neon they just went over board with it in my opinion.

If it were Catholic, I would expect a crucifix, as opposed to a cross. There are all kinds of Christian churches out there, though.

It being a comic book movie, it seems pretty normal that the lighting would be set up to highlight certain objects, to draw the eye of the viewer. It doesn't have anything to do with reality.

The problem with the neon lighting is its EVERYWHERE...They're making New York City look like one huge nightclub.

I agree with this.

Been to NYC a few times and it looks NOTHING like this film.

*This film was shot in Canada so its really just a mock "fantasy" version of the city.

The way you know you're in New York City is when you come across a Puerto Rican flag every block you drive through.

That statement goes for all the neighborhoods, Bronx, The Village, Yonkers, Queens, Brooklyn and The Projects.

Frank WOULD NOT go hunting in Manhattan.

It being a comic book movie, it seems pretty normal that the lighting would be set up to highlight certain objects, to draw the eye of the viewer. It doesn't have anything to do with reality.

Its a kids movie Kwiat.

-TL

Guest FADoss
I agree with this.

Been to NYC a few times and it looks NOTHING like this film.

*This film was shot in Canada so its really just a mock "fantasy" version of the city.

The way you know you're in New York City is when you come across a Puerto Rican flag every block you drive through.

That statement goes for all the neighborhoods, Bronx, The Village, Yonkers, Queens, Brooklyn and The Projects.

Frank WOULD NOT go hunting in Manhattan.

Its a kids movie Kwiat.

-TL

Better than being shot in Tampa. Also, you keep calling it a kids movie. Can you be more specific? Just because it more closely represents the comic books? If so, do you consider Garth Ennis's work for kids? What about comics in general? Was Iron Man a kids movie? Spiderman?

Just curious...

Fred

Better than being shot in Tampa...

I prefer a director that doesn't bullshit me by making me think I'm watching a city I am clearly not.

Hensleigh was honest about Tampa.

Warzone is set in a ridiculous NYC.

Also, you keep calling it a kids movie. Can you be more specific?

Warzone is targetting the young adult audience (17-23) that swallows mediocre material easily. Apparently its working because ALOT of young guys (kids) LOVED the Trailer from Comicon.

Just because it more closely represents the comic books? If so, do you consider Garth Ennis's work for kids?

Comic book readers are an elite group.

Even though comic book FILMS appeal to people of all shapes and sizes, most people don't know who Garth Ennis or The Punisher are.

Technically, Ennis IS writing for the kids - because even though the cover reads "MAX" no comic book retailer would deny a 16 year old the book.

What about comics in general? Was Iron Man a kids movie? Spiderman?

Like the above comment, technically yes.

I enjoy comics, but cinema comes first. That's why when I see something like Hensleigh's Punisher and The Dark Knight I feel happy that comic book directors are being more open minded about adapting these kids books.

Warzone is an example of what happens when someone decides to be completely one dimensional about going from one medium to the next.

Sure, Joe Quesada would agree with you and say "It needs to look and feel like the comic", but Joe Quesada is not in any way involved with cinema.

This is why I understand Alan Moore's disgust for the general concept of comic book movies.

Only so few stray away from the wacky colors and two dimensional dialogue.

Warzone didn't.

-TL

I prefer a director that doesn't bullshit me by making me think I'm watching a city I am clearly not.

Hensleigh was honest about Tampa.

Warzone is set in a ridiculous NYC.

-TL

funny.

precious X-Men #1 was filmed here (2-3 Vancouver), also Norton's Hulk - both "fake-ass NYC" that nobody seemed to mind.

i could list a bunch of flicks that Toronto stands in for NY...some may surprise

I really don't know why Toronto of all places (yes it's all about $$$), but I find it comical.

funny. precious X-Men #1 was filmed here (2-3 Vancouver)

The only real New York setting for X1 was the mansion in Westchester.

I've been to Westchester, which is alot like Poughkeepsie and they're both towns SURROUNDED by forest.

It would be pointless to shoot that film in NYC when the only coverage you need is in an in-door mansion.

The Liberty Island scene you can blame on terrorists. If it weren't for their bullshit hate-war on us, people would still be allowed to go into the statue.

I haven't been able to get up there in 10 years.

Warzone's setting is supposed to be in NYC, as in "city". Not the outskirts like Westchester.

Die Hard with a Vengeance is probably the best action film ever to be shot in Manhattan.

Hensleigh wanted to follow up on that but the studio wouldn't give him the cash to do it.

also Norton's Hulk - both "fake-ass NYC" that nobody seemed to mind.

This one's a 50/50.

25% of the film DID require the NYC setting, but the problem is MARVEL copped out budget-wise and figured it was unimportant.

I personally disliked it a GREAT deal and found it to be a poor rendition of the city.

But since the majority of the film takes place in other locations, it didn't ruin the overall film for me.

Its not a movie that screams "WE'RE IN NEW YORK!!!".

That's what Warzone seems to be doing.

-TL