The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

All that says is that he SAW it.

I really doubt he enjoyed it.

If he did then I've lost ALL respect for him.

The Spirit is already ruining his image for me anyway,

-TL

I understand all it says is that he saw it, but you said and I quote, "Miller wouldn't see Warzone if they payed him to."

Wow, all it takes for you to lose all respect for someone is their having a different opinion than yours?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, all it takes for you to lose all respect for someone is their having a different opinion than yours?

No, all it takes is for someone to consider something outrageously ridiculous to be good.

I have MANY friends that I can't talk about films with because they have horrible taste.

So we stick to sports, bodybuilding and nutrition.

-TL

*And chicks of course

No, all it takes is for someone to consider something outrageously ridiculous to be good.

I have MANY friends that I can't talk about films with because they have horrible taste.

So we stick to sports, bodybuilding and nutrition.

-TL

*And chicks of course

I'm sorry, but the quick addition of "chicks" cracked me up.

What I don't understand is why you're so quick to write off Warzone as a bad movie before you've even seen it. Sure, I'm hoping to goodness it's going to be good, but every time I get to talking about it I get the "but what if" kicking in the back of my brain. In your head it's going to be shit regardless no matter what, there is no other possibility. That's an unrealistic mindset in my opinion.

What I don't understand is why you're so quick to write off Warzone as a bad movie before you've even seen it. Sure, I'm hoping to goodness it's going to be good, but every time I get to talking about it I get the "but what if" kicking in the back of my brain. In your head it's going to be shit regardless no matter what, there is no other possibility. That's an unrealistic mindset in my opinion.

Let me be clear.

I really respect Steve Gainer.

I used to wonder why Noeland (in the very beginning of this thread one year ago) liked him so much, and after watching some of his previous films I came to enjoy his abilities as a cinematographer.

The problem is, despite my admiration towards his body of work - I really don't like the concept of this film AT ALL.

This IS NOT the only film I dislike a great deal.

There ARE others.

I've already seen 3 Trailers for Warzone, and even though they are BLOODY EPIC, they are also cartoony, unrealistic, and above all CHEAP.

At a time when movies are getting really fuckin good again (after the horror of the 90s) I'm really shocked this thing got made sporting "The Punisher" as part of its title.

This for me is a clear cut case of pros vs cons.

The cons completely overpower the pros.

*Specially since I am not a purist.

To add to my utter disgust for all the Trailers, I REALLY don't like anybody in the cast except for Julie Benz.

I don't think Lexi is a GREAT director, I think she's good and will get much better with time.

What really kills it for me?

The absurd story and the amazingly ridiculous concept of making what coulda been a great crime drama inspired by a comic into a live action "R" rated cartoon.

I understand why you purists are feeling satisfied.

You want the source material front and center in its purest translation.

What I don't understand is WHY you believe it'll work and not end up being absurd and idiotic as it looks in the Trailers.

SIN CITY worked because Frank Miller is also a screenwriter.

He wrote SIN CITY as an anti-movie.

A graphic novel NOBODY could fuck with if they tried to when adapting it into a film.

He basically wrote and storyboarded a noir script in one package and called it The Hard Goodbye.

It makes PERFECT sense for that to work wonders on-screen, specially when you got Mickey Rourke to lead the fuckin thing.

All of that above also applies to 300, which with a relatively unknown cast worked great because once again the STORY was designed as an anti-movie.

This makes it easy for the director to go from one medium to the next without little or no changes done what-so-ever done to the source material.

The Punisher (comic) has NEVER been written that way.

It needs change.

The same way Nolan turned a Batman film into a modern day French Connection starring a guy that wears clown looking "war paint."

Its really nonsensical to hear purists express their love for Dark Knight and still ACCEPT the crap LGF is feeding them with Warzone.

Truly nonsensical.

-TL

Guest FADoss
Why don't you guys just get together with a video camera and some Hot Topic Punisher tees, and just shoot your own Punisher movie?

You guys could use the actual comics and source material as scripts.

You could choose the story you wanna tell and just shoot it.

*Bring a cool new heavy metal CD and play it during the action sequences.

It won't sound great, but you could just add it later on an editing program.

-TL

THIS post amuses the fuck out me TL...sounds like you've thought a bit about doing something similar.

Let me be clear.

I really respect Steve Gainer.

I used to wonder why Noeland (in the very beginning of this thread one year ago) liked him so much, and after watching some of his previous films I came to enjoy his abilities as a cinematographer.

The problem is, despite my admiration towards his body of work - I really don't like the concept of this film AT ALL.

This IS NOT the only film I dislike a great deal.

There ARE others.

I've already seen 3 Trailers for Warzone, and even though they are BLOODY EPIC, they are also cartoony, unrealistic, and above all CHEAP.

At a time when movies are getting really fuckin good again (after the horror of the 90s) I'm really shocked this thing got made sporting "The Punisher" as part of its title.

This for me is a clear cut case of pros vs cons.

The cons completely overpower the pros.

*Specially since I am not a purist.

To add to my utter disgust for all the Trailers, I REALLY don't like anybody in the cast except for Julie Benz.

I don't think Lexi is a GREAT director, I think she's good and will get much better with time.

What really kills it for me?

The absurd story and the amazingly ridiculous concept of making what coulda been a great crime drama inspired by a comic into a live action "R" rated cartoon.

Actually the core of the story is still the basic concept that Tom and Hensleigh worked on for the first draft (they did go back to an earlier draft after all). There are plenty of changes though, like instead of the FBI staking out the opening massacre it's Soap and old detective who's only there to give exposition and then disappears for the rest of the movie (not to mention the massacre is just retarded now). Instead of the FBI agents daughter being kidnapped it's the wife and daughter of the undercover FBI agent Frank kills, and it's Budiansky that helps Frank out. Also they threw in a bio-weapon MacGuffin for some stupid fucking reason.

It really starts to irritate me me people bitch about certain movies being unrealistic, while they praise other movies that are also unrealistic. Most movies, no matter what genre, are unrealistic.

The 04 movie was also unrealistic. The part where the professional killers were sent to kill Castle was retarded. They beat the shit out of him, they shoot him in the chest, and then they attempt to blow him up. They don't even stick around to see if he is dead. He was their man target. What the hell? And the part with the russian, being thrown through walls, and all that other shit, and he walks away from it? How is that realistic?

You have to suspend your beliefs for a movie in order to enjoy it.

Well with The Punisher, some people want to see a gritty realistic crime film and some just want a cliched action movie with over the top violence. Some movies just benefit from taking a realistic or believable take on something some don't.

The Russian and Harry Heck sequences are pretty much the surrealist moments out of the whole film, you do suspended your belife in how many time Frank gets fucked up and is able to walk away, but it's not so over the top though. Like how's he able to walk after the fight with Russian? A friend of mine took the claw end of a hammer to the head in a fight once, and he did not stay down at all, so the fight the Russian isn't so unbelievable in that he survives.

It really starts to irritate me me people bitch about certain movies being unrealistic, while they praise other movies that are also unrealistic. Most movies, no matter what genre, are unrealistic.

The 04 movie was also unrealistic. The part where the professional killers were sent to kill Castle was retarded. They beat the shit out of him, they shoot him in the chest, and then they attempt to blow him up. They don't even stick around to see if he is dead. He was their man target. What the hell? And the part with the russian, being thrown through walls, and all that other shit, and he walks away from it? How is that realistic?

You do not want to go down this road with me.

I'll name sooo many films that are sooo realistic, the post will take up 2 pages.

The fact that you thought Castle being shot in the chest was "retarded" shows you don't know much about gunshot wounds.

My Dad was shot three times from the back into his torso.

NOT ONE bullet pierced any of his organs.

He lived packin 3 scars and a bullet inside his hamstring that he never had taken out.

Glass and John and Saint had NO reason to go back and check Castle's body for a pulse.

-TL

I agree with you:)And come on Mike,the 04 film was pretty good but it was cliche too.Oh yeah Frank Miller always been a little weird,surprise you guys never notice.Especially when he did the the SinCity commentary.He's weird,but the man is great at what he does:)

I agree with you:)And come on Mike,the 04 film was pretty good but it was cliche too.Oh yeah Frank Miller always been a little weird,surprise you guys never notice.Especially when he did the the SinCity commentary.He's weird,but the man is great at what he does:)

The most cliched the '04 film got was in some of the dialouge maybe some other moments. There wasn't any jumping around or fancy gun play, no slow motion shots, no fancy camera tricks or editing. That's what I mean when I say cliched.

The most cliched the '04 film got was in some of the dialouge maybe some other moments. There wasn't any jumping around or fancy gun play, no slow motion shots, no fancy camera tricks or editing. That's what I mean when I say cliched.

Well we know there will be some fancy moves.But we don't know about the editing,slow motion(except one scene) or camera tricks.Until we watch the movie and the 04 was very cliche and cheesy at times.But it wasn't a bad film though B) And I don't mind the fancy gunplay,because he is the Punisher.Plus he does all kind of stuff like that in the comics:)

Well we know there will be some fancy moves.But we don't know about the editing,slow motion(except one scene) or camera tricks.Until we watch the movie and the 04 was very cliche and cheesy at times.But it wasn't a bad film though B) And I don't mind the fancy gunplay,because he is the Punisher.Plus he does all kind of stuff like that in the comics:)

You need to look up the meaning of "cliche" since you haven't got a clue as to what it means.

-TL

If we're talking MAX Punisher, which they're heavily basing this movie on...then no the Punisher doesn't do things like shooting guns hanging upside down from chandeliers..