The Punisher: WarZone

During the Fangoria interview, I think the shit with Walter had just gone down and it was the straw that broke the camels back. I knew it was coming cause they didn't want to make the film that Frank deserved, and when they said no to Hill, I knew it was over. hat's when I said you know what, this is NOT going to happen with me. Can't pay me enough.

And believe it or don't, I have graduated from the actor who just needs a job so people in Hollywood remember my name. I was lucky. You just can't predict if a film is going to turn out well, no matter how great a story or script or director. it's always a crap shoot. But you can start to smell how committed a studio is to a particular project. and LGF, believe it or not, (and this is just my opinion) was way more interested in the dvd sales of Punisher than the actual quality of the film. remember, it's the dvd of the first one that fattened the coffers there, so they were looking for more of the same.

I didn't work for a YEAR after Punisher came out. Who knows how long it would have been after this one. I for one was not happy with the goofy shit in the first film. I for one campaigned to have it take place in NYC. I thought florida was a joke. Lost that battle. So could I walk back in to another one and say yes, let's make this one even worse?

And when I say crime film, I'm not talking about some weighty fuckin drama. Don't think Walter would have given us that. I did want to beat a few people to death with the butt end of my pistol in P2.

Alright, so let me get this straight.

You thought the first film was shit?

You're really putting it down in that post, and you're kinda saying it fucked up your career.

Buddy, I was at The Mist premiere SURROUNDED by press.

If it weren't for The Punisher, NONE of them assholes woulda been able to figure out your name.

"Thomas James."

"That guy from The Punisher."

"What was his name???"

I feel you when you say Warzone is being made purely out of LGF's plan to make some money on DVD sales - hell, it may go STRAIGHT to DVD.

But why flame the flag you planted with the first film, when you know MORON people are currently supporting the horror that is Warzone and blasting you as a bitter prick on the web???

Dude, stop giving them reason.

I for one KNOW what Warzone represents, and the film YOU made is a fuckin COUNTER to that.

Rethink this shit man, or just quit answering to people here that want nothing more than for you to fail and for Warzone to succeed (Frank Castle to die).

-TL

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeeze Lou-EEZE, Thomas, what more do you need? All you have to do is look at the CV of both Jane AND Hensleigh to see what The Punisher did to BOTH of their careers.

Another one of those famous "insiders" recently opined to me that Hensleigh STILL wasn't out of "director's jail."

In fact, I think you may be the ONLY person on this board who sings such high praises for that film. If I'm wrong, those people will surely correct me.

Nomad

Alright, so let me get this straight.

You thought the first film was shit?

You're really putting it down in that post, and you're kinda saying it fucked up your career.

Buddy, I was at The Mist premiere SURROUNDED by press.

If it weren't for The Punisher, NONE of them assholes woulda been able to figure out your name.

"Thomas James."

"That guy from The Punisher."

"What was his name???"

I feel you when you say Warzone is being made purely out of LGF's plan to make some money on DVD sales - hell, it may go STRAIGHT to DVD.

But why flame the flag you planted with the first film, when you know MORON people are currently supporting the horror that is Warzone and blasting you as a bitter prick on the web???

Dude, stop giving them reason.

I for one KNOW what Warzone represents, and the film YOU made is a fuckin COUNTER to that.

Rethink this shit man, or just quit anwsering to people here that want nothing more than for you to fail and for Warzone to succeed (Frank Castle to die).

-TL

You're funny. On one hand, you're campaigning tirelessly that Thomas Jane made the best film EVER, and the new film is gonna be the coming of the Anti-Christ, and when Tom makes comments that may be antithetical to that assumption that you hold so dear, you sort of... freak out.

I think you may have severe psychological problems. Me, I'd suggest seeking help, so you don't just snap one day and do things that, well, nobody wants to see you splattered all over the news.

Tom Jane, your the fucking man! ;) And your bang on the money regarding The Punisher.

I didnt like Punisher that much, I think the script really hampered my appreciation. And I thought it reflected in some of the performance. I didn't buy into the character, didn't get the feel of your grief and the grim determination for justice. But I blame the script, the locations, John Travolta! lol

And I totaly agree your point on not doing Warzone, The first wasn't well enough recieved and it would have dragged you down to do another, especially where its heading. I think you got off that at the right time.

Thats not to say that I think Warzone is going to be shit, I think its going to be a completely different film. It needed to be rebooted

Logan also has a point, I was not particularly aware of you prior to Punisher, but it made me check out your back catalogue, (So I must have seen something I liked!) and when I checked out Stander you can see the quality in your performance there. That makes Punisher look less effective because in Stander you can totaly buy into the character and the events surrounding him. Brilliant all round. And you deserve better material because of it.

Anyway, I hope you get some good material to work with, whether its offered or you have to go drag it up yourself. It was a real pleasure to see you in The Mist and I hope I get that pleasure again.

Me, I'd suggest seeking help, so you don't just snap one day and do things that, well, nobody wants to see you splattered all over the news.

Isn't Logan an actor/writer? I'd be thrilled to see him get splattered all over the news, as long as its for his work. Then I could say to my mates...

"See that guy just released that cool new movie? He once called me an ASSHOLE!" lol

Mind you, I think he called me much worse when I first turned up! :o

Me I'm a fan of the 2004 movie (though not as hardcore as TL), I wasn't really that bothered by it being set in Florida for some reason though. But, yeah a lot of the goofier shit in it could have easily either been cut out or cut down.

I think Lionsgate basically sees the Punisher as their next SAW franchise. Films with just gore and no real substance to them, they just wanted to make a movie and not a good one at that.

They are making a product, and that product will find it's fans. How good or bad that product is will dictate where it goes from here.

I think the correlation to SAW is a bit over the top, probably a generalization, but I do agree that it seems like LGF is catering to that fan base mostly because they have a record of success there.

What has become clear is that an adaptation of The Punisher the likes of which Tom described could not happen at LGF.

It's the wrong studio for going in that direction. LGF have prove themselves adept in terms of acquisition, that cannot be denied.

But look at the films LGF has developed from within and you will see how risking a serious toned concept doesn't fall into their product line. Looking back, it's easy to see why LGF decided not to go in that "take this concept to the next level" direction. Their track record in development has shown us the template.

I think TJ was hoping that P2 would be the project that broke the bounds of convention. You know the rest.

- tb

Stupid Lionsgate! Who sold them the rights in the first place? What company do you think would do the proper thing with the character?

They acquired the Punisher rights when they bought Artisan, Artisan was the studio that made the movie. Lionsgate probably had nothing to do with the 2004 film, outside of possibly some editing mandates and releasing the thing. I mean they thought it was a good idea to release the movie against Kill Bill Vol. 2.

Dammit. This ain't working. I tried to put it down but I can't.

Tom Jane, I damn near LOVE you for that last post man. Fucking fantastic.

Oh, and for the rest of you, bullet skull War Zone shirts are being sold in Hot Topic right now! Looks like some merchandising is already under way. :)

Fred

Oh, and for the rest of you, bullet skull War Zone shirts are being sold in Hot Topic right now! Looks like some merchandising is already under way. :)

Fred

I fucking hate Hot Topic.

Fred

Hiiii, Fred. :) It WAS a good post, neh?

The black and white posters are on eBay. They were from $17-$30, I think. I found them while doing a search for Ray Stevenson, if I dare mention his name. :P

Nomad

I fucking hate Hot Topic.

And you hate War Journal too...but I still love ya!!!

They have some cool shirts.

And Nomad, Tom Jane said some nice stuff about Ray right here in this very thread! Some folks seem to overlook that. I think it's fine to give the man a bit of credit.

Fred

And you hate War Journal too...but I still love ya!!!

They have some cool shirts.

And Nomad, Tom Jane said some nice stuff about Ray right here in this very thread! Some folks seem to overlook that. I think it's fine to give the man a bit of credit.

Fred

Hey, Fred. I was VERY impressed with Tom's post, and said so. I don't remember him saying much good about Ray other than accepting Tim's word for it that Ray is a cool guy. That's okay by me. Tim is right, Ray IS a cool guy, and Tom apparently knows who's to be believed. ;) It's all good.

Nomad

from what Timmy says of Ray S - he sounds like a cool guy. sounds like he loves the character and wants to do him justice. for his sake i hope the movie doesn't suck. it sounds like he'll be committed to the part at any rate. kudos to Ray.

Here it was Nomad!

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Buried under all the garbage of this thread...

Fred

from what Timmy says of Ray S - he sounds like a cool guy. sounds like he loves the character and wants to do him justice. for his sake i hope the movie doesn't suck. it sounds like he'll be committed to the part at any rate. kudos to Ray.

Here it was Nomad!

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Buried under all the garbage of this thread...

Fred

Yep! That was it!

Everybody's getting along so nicely! Is that coz of the holiday and we're all too hung over to quarrel? :blink: Naw. I should give credit where credit is due...it was Tom's gentlemanly post that did it. :P

Nomad

well, the answer to that one is simple. i went through a period where i was hitting the sauce. a lot. eventually i got tired of the headaches. now i hardly touch the stuff. something happened and i just fell out of love with being smashed. and frankly, i didn't give a fuck if i was drunk and someone wanted to interview me. (which probably made me sound like an ass for a while there.) part of me is just really not interested in what people think of me in some stupid fucking interview. they're easier to get through drunk. you should be drunk when you listen to them.

during the fangoria interview, i think the shit with walter had just gone down and it was the straw that broke the camels back. i knew it was coming cause they didn't want to make the film that frank deserved, and when they said no to Hill, i knew it was over. that's when i said you know what, this is NOT going to happen with me. can't pay me enough.

and believe it or don't, i have graduated from the actor who just needs a job so people in hollywood remember my name. i was lucky. you just can't predict if a film is going to turn out well, no matter how great a story or script or director. it's always a crap shoot. but you can start to smell how committed a studio is to a particular project. and LG, believe it or not, (and this is just my opinion) was way more interested in the dvd sales of Punisher than the actual quality of the film. remember, it's the dvd of the first one that fattened the coffers there, so they were looking for more of the same.

i didn't work for a YEAR after punisher came out. who knows how long it would have been after this one. i for one was not happy with the goofy shit in the first film. i for one campaigned to have it take place in NYC. i thought florida was a joke. lost that battle. so could i walk back in to another one and say yes, let's make this one even worse?

and when i say crime film, i'm not talking about some weighty fuckin drama. don't think walter would have given us that. i did want to beat a few people to death with the butt end of my pistol in P2.

it's been a great year for comic book films. we finally have the tech to bring the comic page to life like it never has been done before. we need to start taking these stories seriously, if we want to keep the genre alive and not get completely sick of thin as ice characters with formulaic flimsy plots.

doesn't mean they will all turn out great. Mutant Chronicles has problems, but if you were in SD at the sneak you'd have seen that while the film still needs editing and FX work, people really responded to the originality and creativity that went in to it. problem is, to take chances like that you can't get much money to make the films. and more and more studios are focusing on 'tentpoles' that look so damn slick people have a hard time accepting low budget effects now. just means we have to be better. better stories, better acting, better action. it can be done. but it's rare, and it takes a lot of luck and skill and dedication.

i for one, like to take that kind of risk.

Great post!

Fred

I know I'm buying one :)

Thank you VERY much for that explanation, Tom. Not that you need to hear it from ME, but I'll say it anyway...BRAVO, Sir. Well done. And I mean that. From now on I promise to quote only your RECENT interviews, assuming that the old ones may be...not what you intended. ;)

I was looking for the opportunity to say something else, too. It may as well be now.

I think it was Tim who recently went into detail about your vision for a Punisher sequel. It may have been someone else, I really can't remember just now. It's five fucking o'clock in the morning! But it was a much more detailed explanation of your thoughts about Punisher II, and I must say it sounded great. What changed my mind was, specifically, a better explanation of the Taxi Driver reference. Your comments were originally taken to mean that Frank Castle should be portrayed more like Travis Bickle, when that would surely have done Frank a disservice. Frank is quite a bit more complex than that. But in reading that further explanation, it appears that you meant that the film should have a Taxi Driver-like realism, something I agree is wholly achievable with The Punisher character. Perhaps someday you'll make that film. The anti-hero doesn't have to be named Frank Castle, does he?

Nomad

I agree:)

I used to buy band shirts and geek shirts there when they first opened up in my mall. Now I walk past it and just say "What the fuck is this shit?"

I know lol.When I said I was going to buy a Punisher shirt,I didn't mean from hot topic.There is a store downtown from where I live,that sell great comic book characters,horror icons etc.I'm buying my shirt from them :)B)

I know lol.When I said I was going to buy a Punisher shirt,I didn't mean from hot topic.There is a store downtown from where I live,that sell great comic book characters,horror icons etc.I'm buying my shirt from them :)B)

I wish I had a store like that over here. Hell, we probably do and I just don't know the name of it.