The Punisher: WarZone

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About TL's claim that I "strongly believe Tom Jane to be a cheap crybaby" (something much worse pre-edit, but nevermind)

If the Sage had any idea what Tom made on Mutant Chronicles I think it would very quickly become apparent that money had not a thing to do with it. ;)

Mutant Chronicles may not have the benefit of a class A script, but on this occasion Tom was sold on the director, Simon Hunter.

I'm sure you may be paraphrasing Norse Sage's actual words but to speak to that general accusation let's consider this -

Parapharsing doesn't even begin to cover it.

That's more like paraphrasing a tiny number of individual and unrelated posts written on the imdb made over several months, all taken out of context, rephrased as something a hundredfold worse than I ever said, and then put it in my mouth - which I think is really uncalled for.

I've certainly made some remarks about Hensleigh, for which I am not sorry, but not about Jane.

I was one of Jane's biggest defenders from day one; when he was initially announced as the Punisher, I was one of the few who supported his casting on the imdb, and whenever someone makes a derogotary comment about Jane on the current imdb War Zone board, FearEmbodied and myself are the ones consistently defending him. The 2004 movie had a ton of problems, but Jane was not among them, which I've always stressed. He did a fantastic job given the script at hand. I'm surpised TL haven't seen one of these posts, as they are pretty goddamn numerous.

I have never said anything in the vein of him being a cry baby, let alone what was stated pre-edit, and I certainly don't think any such thing. On the contrary, I have but the highest respect for him as an actor in general and for his perfomance as André Stander and Frank Castle in particurlar. 99 % of the posts I've ever made about Jane contain nothing but praise.

The remaining one percent I fully admit without shame or regret.

I dislike The Punisher 2004 due to where Hensleigh took it, and I make no secret of just how low a regard I hold Hensleigh in because of it. However, I always praise Jane and Patton for their performances. They lifted that movie so much.

Also, I did indeed think Mutant Chronicles left a lot to be desired. This disappointed me as I really REALLY wanted to like it. I hoped a Sederowsky and Malmberg produced movie would be better, they are both good guys and deserve a string of success. Ultimately however, I thought the script was poor. That is not a slant at Jane, but at the producers and screenwriter for allowing it to be filmed in that state. I am very pro-Paradox, but that could have been done a lot better.

Finally, I have never, not once, suggested that Jane is in any way cheap. I have paraphrased Sutter's on a handful of occasions, and even then I've always emphasised that this is rumour, to be taken with a grain of salt.

I think I'm very fair and balanced in my comments to everyone 99,8 % of the time.

More related to the current conversation; sorry to hear about your girlfriend TL.

I do mean that sincerely.

I've been coming to terms with it (bangin my head against the wall) for 9 months now.

When they say "don't pour salt on old wounds", they never mention how the salt represents a hammer and the wounds are actually your pride.

-TL

That is... well, it's just kind of sad.

Though it would explain quite a bit about why you're so angry all the time.

Ever consider doing something more productive than ranting and raving at a bunch of dudes on the internet?

Dude, when I'm not here talkin shit, I'm at work or at the gym.

I start pre-pro on my film next month and things are probably gonna get more hectic than ever for me.

Maybe if I wasn't directing this thing it'd be alot easier.

But like they say - if you wanna get things done right, do 'em yourself.

-TL

I start pre-pro on my film next month and things are probably gonna get more hectic than ever for me.

-TL

Maybe some valium would help?

A clone of myself would help.

Or several clones.

I just finished storyboarding ONE of the films and it was a GRUELING process.

I went with the Martin Scorsese approach of doing crappy illustrations instead of hiring an artist to do fuckin masterpieces.

Scorsese felt it gave him a more "open to ideas" shot instead of something extremely absolute.

What Jane did in Dark Country is EPIC.

Very few guys have done that in Hollywood.

Clint Eastwood, Kevin Costner and Mel Gibson actually used it to win Oscar gold.

-TL

A clone of myself would help.

Or several clones.

I just finished storyboarding ONE of the films and it was a GRUELING process.

I went with the Martin Scorsese approach of doing crappy illustrations instead of hiring an artist to do fuckin masterpieces.

Scorsese felt it gave him a more "open to ideas" shot instead of something extremely absolute.

What Jane did in Dark Country is EPIC.

Very few guys have done that in Hollywood.

Clint Eastwood, Kevin Costner and Mel Gibson actually used it to win Oscar gold.

-TL

Did Jane put the storyboards up on the net for viewing? The only thing I know about it is that it's supposed to be a "noir thriller". That alone has be intrigued.

Cheers Norse Sage -

I had a notion those weren't your true words.

The reason I spoke to the accusation in general is because I've heard that same thing before.

I feel people are within their rights to speak negatively and constructively about Tom or anyone else here as long as it's not in the form of a personal attack.

I may disagree and voice my counter opinion as in the case of Nomad's recent issue with Jane clarifying why he left the production.

Just want to be clear that there is no stricture here dictating that people shouldn't speak their minds, even if they have something negative to say about us.

But I did rather like referring to you as "The Sage" ;)

- TB

David Allcock, the guy that did the posters for Mutant Chronicles did the storyboards.

I think Street posted a few of them in the Dark Country Production Diary thread, but I'm not entirely sure.

What I do remember is they were a bit too much for me.

I prefer that sloppy approach that just provides you with an idea of what shot you want, so when its time to get it done you can add things to it.

Richard Donner never even used storyboards, which I think shows what a badass director he was.

You need them in the end, even though you might completely disregard them.

-TL

Storyboards are a roadmap.

It's a nice thing to have on hand so that your DP, line producer, assistant director, on down the line, have a visual representation of what you are aiming for.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Even rough storyboards can put the shots and your vision into perspective for the rest who cannot read minds.

There are almost always deviations. But having somewhere to start is key.

- TB

-TL

I what you mean,I feel like Robert Rodriguez sometimes.I'm the director,writer,producer,editer,alot times I have to act and I have to score my film.