The Punisher: WarZone

Tim Bradstreet

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we need is for this movie to go Straight to Video.

There's a chance that if that happens, a Punisher movie can be made that works around Warzone.

Universal Soldier: The Return comes to mind.

Even though the movie was shit, it worked around the two Direct to Video sequels.

Maybe if LGF dumps this on the DVD market and saves distribution money, it can go back and do something worth a shit.

I'm not even keeping my fingers crossed, cause this movie is sooo bad - it seems to be destroying itself.

-TL

Guest FADoss

The only thing left for Punisher if this film fails is a PG13 film by Marvel linking Frank to the Avengers films...which I am all for, but most of you would hate.

Maybe I should be selfish on this one...

:)

Fred

The only thing left for Punisher if this film fails is a PG13 film by Marvel linking Frank to the Avengers films...which I am all for, but most of you would hate.

I wouldn't hate it. The only bad thing is they would be casting yet another actor for the part.

you know if this movie does bomb, do you think they would call Mr. Jane back and ask if he would do another one the way he wanted too? I mean i know it's probably something Mr. Jane wants to move away from now......but maybe if it did fail, that would be what it takes for the studio to give someone correct the reins? I would hate to think this movie would be the one that kills the franchise...i would have no probem forgetting a movie in order to get to one i was waiting for....

Sadly if this movie bombs thats a wrap for the franchise.

There was no franchise.

The closest they got to one was Jane's sequel that never got made.

But like I said earlier, if this gets dumped on DVD then perhaps they can make a REAL movie that skips this one.

Its been done before.

The safest bet is MARVEL takin back the character and throwing him in THE AVENGERS franchise.

-TL

Guest FADoss
There was no franchise.

The closest they got to one was Jane's sequel that never got made.

But like I said earlier, if this gets dumped on DVD then perhaps they can make a REAL movie that skips this one.

Its been done before.

The safest bet is MARVEL takin back the character and throwing him in THE AVENGERS franchise.

-TL

Agreed.

Guest AdminGuyX
There was no franchise.

Yeah, they've basically screwed themselves out of one, and I suppose in doing so, screwed US out of one.

Unless by some miracle this film is successful, which I don't see.

The posters are in every theater in every city, so I don't think it's going to be direct to DVD at this point.

And I can't help but really like the posters.

;)

The distribution cost for posters is nothing compared to the actual film.

I think posters are even cheaper than Trailers.

And lets not forget Midnight Meat Train, who's Trailer I saw attached to sooo many big movies.

If the studio decides to save money on distribution by makin it Straight to Video, its a smart move.

The poster campaign wouldn't be a complete waste, since they'd want people to buy the DVD.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, I don't think I made my point properly there.

Let me say it a different way. ;)

At this point in time they must still be planning a wide theatrical release for PWZ because posters are in theaters all over.

If they were planning to dump it on DVD right now, the posters would be down.

If at some point between now and December the posters disappear from theater lobbies, we'll know why.

OR - they pull a STANDER/SPUN.

Those movies had poster campaigns in every major theatre up to the alleged date of their release in which they never showed.

STANDER was set to premiere on August 6th 2004, and the poster was up all the way 'til the last week of July.

STANDER never got a wide release.

Same thing happened with SPUN in 2002.

It had a poster with a date, and that poster stayed up until 2 weeks before that date when it was taken down.

SPUN went straight to video.

*Another thing, LGF I think was confident about Warzone BEFORE Comicon.

Those posters were out before the shit hit the fan aka the "R" footage showed the true colors of the film and the studio went into a panic.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

Spun? I saw that in an arthouse theater in Tampa presented by IFC. It was one of those special engagement deals. That was supposed to have a wide release? No shit. Never knew that. Crazy little flick.

Stander on the other hand, I was also under the impression was only a limited release in US theaters, and then was on DVD. I totally missed the posters though. Never saw those in Tampa.

That's kind of a shitty move. Aren't theater owners aware far in advance of a films release if it's actually being sent to them or not? You'd think they would know if the film is getting released or not, and pull the posters down. But I know that's not really how it works.

If LGF pulls some kind of bait and switch with PWZ I wouldn't be surprised.

You know, I didn't look to see if a rating was printed on the PWZ poster I saw. I'll have to check it out next time I go down there, if the poster is still up anyway.

;)

The upside to Warzone going Straight to Video, is that the studio won't have to chop it down from its original state of Troma.

It can remain a bloody mess in all its cheesy glory to those that decide to rent it and then burn it on to the web where it will become a YouTube upload of the month.

-TL

fanboys of this upcomig Punisher flick are hyped, BUT are not saying its the second coming...

IF, IF! this flick does come out to the theaters, and does well, where does that leave you Log?

keep on fighting the good fight...

I don't believe ratings are ever added to teaser posters, most certainly not in the case of a poster without a credits block.

But hell, you never know. I don't think there is an industry standard when it comes to teasers. It's likely up to the individual studios and what information they feel comfortable enough to print and show.

But I'd say the posters in question are true teasers, they have the title/logo, a tag line, and Marvel/LGF/Valhalla logos, a release date, and some copyright indicia.

No credits block and no official MPAA rating.

And no rating yet makes sense because prior to the posters being printed/distributed there was no final picture lock, or final theatrical edit for the MPAA to approve.

Still, I think a lot of posters have been released in the past with a rating that was pre-MPAA approved.

This is just my own hunch but I think LGF will proceed with a wide theatrical release December 5th.

If it doesn't "open", meaning that it doesn't do a fair amount of Box Office in it's first 2 weeks of release then it will probably get yanked fairly quick, especially with all the competition around the holidays. And when I say "competition", I mean general competition; lot's of films in general get released around the holidays, big films, studio cherries, the pre-oscar drop. If Warzone doesn't perform do not expect it to be around long. Opening weekend and word of mouth is very important as you all know.

Everyone talks about how great it will be that Warzone is being released during the holidays, that it offers a nice alternative to the usual slate of Holiday films.

But keep in mind the case of last year's The Mist, which was released Thanksgiving weekend. Weinstein thought the same thing, that it would be the perfect alternative to release a horror film amongst other happier fare. And The Mist tested off the charts too, yet when it was released it failed and was pulled quickly. Say what you want about the depressing ending, I doubt the opening weekend crowd knew what they were in for. After opening weekend this may have been a factor. But the real fact is that it was the opening weekend performance that killed it. It was buried behind Enchanted, This Christmas, Hitman, Beowulf, Bee Movie, and Fred Claus, and August Rush. And Beowulf, Bee Movie, and Fred Claus, had opened earlier in the month.

Now Beowulf was a huge and anticipated animated film, it makes a bit of sense that it did well. Hitman was also an alternative to Holiday fare, but it's business wasn't that impressive either. It remained on screens for an additional 15 weeks and it eventually pulled in 39 million. It played for a full 3 weeks in wide release on over 3000 screens, then went limited.

In my opinion the December 5 release date could be the kiss of death.

Here is who Frank Castle will have to battle with at the Box Office -

1. Quantum of Solace - Nov 7 - Juggernaut

2. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - Nov 7 - This will do well.

3. Australia - Nov 14 - Jackman and Kidman

4. Bolt - Nov 21 - Travolta and Miley Cyrus (oh god), but it will kill.

5. Transporter 3 - Nov 26 - Statham

6. The Road - Nov 26 - Cormac McCarthy's newest adaptation with Viggo

7. Four Christmases - Nov 26 - Seth Gordon's new one with Vince Vaughn, Resse Witherspoon, and Robert Duvall.

8. The Day the Earth Stood Still - Dec 12 - Keanu

9. Defiance - Dec 12 - More Daniel Craig

10. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Dec 19 - Brad Pitt and David Fincher together again.

11. The Tale of Despereaux - Dec 19 - Universal's big animated holiday movie, could be huge.

Plus there is Bedtime Stories, the new Sandler film, Marley And Me with Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston, and The Spirit, all coming on the 25th.

And this list does not account for smaller films that could hit big.

- TB

Actually, 007 was pushed back a week, to the 14th, which is even worse for War zone, although it's good that Harry Potter was was moved to next summer. It would have slaughtered any movie for at least 3 weeks. Personally, I think War zone will open to roughly 10 million. 15 possibly, but I can't see that.

Guest AdminGuyX
Im basicly the same way with anybody that resembles Jughead...

Who looks like jughead? And what are you saying there with the same way? Same way as what?

And since I'm asking questions, are you high right now?