As an age old battle rages amongst the stars, Kainan's ship burns brightly as it crashes into the Nordic coast. As his space craft comes to rest in the fjords of ancient Norway, it's with dismay that Kainan realizes that he wasn't the only survivor. A second passenger, a Moorwen also emerges from the wreckage. A Fierce and animal-like creature, the Moorwen is intent on causing harm to those it perceives have wronged it. As the Moorwen kills everything in its path, Kainan must work together with the Vikings to destroy the beast before it destroys them all.

Starring: James Caviezel, Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, Ron Perlman and John Hurt.

Directed by: Howard McCain

Trailer

I've been following this movie for a while now... Let's face it. Vikings + Aliens = Awesome. Throw Perlman in the mix and it's even more awesome. :P

Dude, this looks simply awesome, Perlman, Caveizal and Hurt?... and HURT as a viking king? too cool.

Although I thourghly enjoyed both PATHFINDER and 13th WARRIOR they both had huge flaws in them. Maybe this will be the cool VIKING movie that they could have been.

Looks great and I'd love to see it. Too bad I'm not Latvian. I mean really, what gives? This film is on screen in Latvia but there is no release date yet in the U.S.? If I lived in Russia I could see Mutant Chronicles next month, but no release date yet here?

Very frustrating. :(

k-skye

Looks great and I'd love to see it. Too bad I'm not Latvian. I mean really, what gives? This film is on screen in Latvia but there is no release date yet in the U.S.? If I lived in Russia I could see Mutant Chronicles next month, but no release date yet here?

Very frustrating. :(

k-skye

Well, I'm betting BECAUSE it is screening in LATVIA, it will be pirated to the net long before it is shown here. To bad the studio heads can't figure out how these things happen...shit, maybe they can, I can't say as I know any of the polics involved in movie making...there must be some utterly insane reason why you would show this movie in Latvia....?

• 2 weeks later...

I had never heard about Outlander till I saw the trailer for it a few days a go.

Looks like stupid, fun way to kill a few hours, can't wait to see it!

I hated "Pathfinder", the original was a hundredfold as good, but "The 13th Warrior" was pretty cool. They even spoke norwegian in it!

Hope this will be as entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always interested in Viking movies, especially if they have fantasy or sci-fi elements. The trailer looks good, seems a bit like a period Predator piece. Interesting trivia, that McCain wrote this as a sci-fi version of Beowulf first. I guess there are still some elements in there. Anyway, I hope that the movie will come out soon :)

• 5 months later...
Two weeks out from when it is supposed to debut in a limited theatrical run on the 23rd of this month, Third Rail Releasing (an arm of The Weinstein Co.) revealed the U.S. one-sheet for the creature feature Outlander. Quite a difference from the international poster, wouldn't you say?

Directed by Howard McCain, the film begins when a space craft crashes into the majestic fjords of ancient Norway and into the time of the Vikings. From the wreckage emerge two bitter enemies: a soldier from another world – Kainan (played by Jim Caviezel) – and a bloodthirsty creature known as the Moorwen. Man and monster both seeking revenge for violence committed against them. As the Moorwen ravages the Viking world, killing everything in its path, Kainan forms an unlikely alliance with the primitive but fierce warriors. Combining his advanced technology with ancient Iron Age weapons, the hero leads a desperate attempt to kill the monster - before it destroys them all.

Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, Ron Perlman and John Hurt co-star. Look for a trailer soon!

Click here to see poster

I like both posters.

The first one was pretty cool though a little patchily put together, but the composition was real nice.

This one is nice too, simpler obviously, and focusing on star Caviezel. Kinda boring by comparison though.

Couldn't help noticing the tag line and the title both could be interchangeable with some of our Bad Planet flavor text and tags.

I know this movie HAS to have troubles for it to have gone through so much shit to get released.

But I'm a sucker for Vikings and Sci-Fi.

The 23rd huh?

Hmmm, might have to see it while in Dallas, if we can find a theater playing it.

- TB

Earlier in the week we gave you a look at the one-sheet for Outlander (get a look). Tonight, a trailer has arrived by way of IGN. Watch it in the player below. Full plot synopsis and more reside in our database. Third Rail gives the film a limited theatrical release on January 23rd.

Click here for the video

Man, I'm giddy with excitement about seeing this movie, it just looks like such fun (something missing from the cinema's around Oscar time).

Anyone know the UK release date?

Well, as no one would do it for me, I had to master the art of Google myself. UK release date is 24 April 2009. Wait, what? WTF? Why the heck do we have to wait an extra 3 months for the film to be released in the UK, what is this, the 1980's all over again? Do they only have 5 prints or something!

.... and why the feck do they have to release it the weekend I'm running the London Marathon, the only weekend I've got something planned all year! Yee gods, Murphy's law or what!

Much like KILLSHOT, this movie is out in theaters in a very strange way, though it's a much wider release than KILLSHOT.

It's playing in San Diego and other parts of CA, but not L.A.

This is a first for me since moving out to L.A. There are 2 movies that came out today that are not screening in L.A. Guess I've been spoiled by being able to see anything that's out there in a theater. This is so bizarre.

• 4 weeks later...
Ruthlessly dumped into a limited amount of theaters last month, it's only a matter of time before we start hearing the buzz on a DVD release date. While we wait, check out these two international one-sheets that appeared at IMPAwards.com today. Both are still much better than the domestic poster. For more on the film, James Caviezel, Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, Ron Perlman and John Hurt, click here!

outintl1.jpg

outintl2.jpg

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9650

Hey, I saw this and I really fucking dug it.

I'm really not sure what the delay was about or why it's getting such a limited release.

In fact I'm baffled.

Daly caught this with me and I have to say HE is baffled too.

We're both fairly discerning filmgoers, especially when it comes to our genre.

This is a very cool blend of sci-fi and period.

Jim Caviezal is EXCELLENT. John Hurt, Sophia Myles, Ron Perlman, and Jack Huston are all EXCELLENT.

The music is EXCELLENT.

The Cinematography is EXCELLENT.

The Creature (designed by Patrick Tatopoulos) is outstanding.

The story is intriguing and there is some stunningly cool work on display with many of the visuals.

It could benefit from some smart editing and because of that may be a tad long for some people, but I really can't see why this got poleaxed by the studio.

If you like films like The 13th Warrior, Dragonslayer, or even Pathfinder, you'll love this.

If you like a high concept sci-fi/fantasy this is a solid, solid film.

Get out to see it if it is in your area, and definitely check it out when it hits DVD.

- TB

PS - New posters look great, if not a tad too yellow ;)

I'm pissed, near as I can tell, it is no where near the Detroit are?...this is one of those movies I was waiting to catch on the big screen.

If Rotten Tomatoes is giving this 24% then I now know of a lot of people who have shit in their ears.

I heard some talkbackers (not many) who mention the film is goofy. What?

I fucking HATE goofy when it comes to genre and I didn't get that vibe off this film at all, and believe me when I say that my goofy radar is on full when I hope for the best but am not sure what I'm getting until I see it. Well I saw it, and goofy it was NOT.

Was it as good as Alien? No. Was it as good as Aliens? No. Was it as good as The 13th Warrior? At least as good if not better, though a Goldsmith score (god rest his soul) would have put it over the top ;)

No, this is not the most genius genre film ever helmed, but it IS a helluva lot better than what passes for decent these days.

And that's saying something.

If I had to rate with stars, 1 to 10, I'd give it an even 7.

Negative fan reaction is what it is, but I'll bet you writer/director, Howard McCain's stock rises exponentially.

- TB

Well Dammit its hard to see films we want to . I well do some looking around to see if it might be coming this way. Well for sure see it if I have to wait tell dvd. Thanks for the heads up.

Dude! It was playing in Dallas the weekend we were there for the show!

My money bets that you just missed it. But keep yer eyes peeled nonetheless.

- tb

Dude! It was playing in Dallas the weekend we were there for the show!

My money bets that you just missed it. But keep yer eyes peeled nonetheless.

- tb

Oh man! I would of Loved to seen it with you guys! Damn please parden me while I go and hit myself in the Nuts!

Outlander, starring James Caviezel, continued its limited theatrical run in the U.S. this weekend. That's right, it's still plowing through theaters since Third Rail opened the film January 23rd.

Outlander.solsector.net has done a pretty thorough job keeping track of what theaters is hosting Howard McCain's film. In about three months, though, you'll be able to catch it on DVD and Blu-Ray.

The aforementioned site is hearing rumblings that it will land on May 5th. ShockTillYouDrop.com can back that up, but hold tight until something official comes down. In the meantime, check out the handful of new hi-res stills we've received from Genius Products (the outfit handling DVD distribution duties).

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9665

• 2 weeks later...
Genius Products has revealed the official DVD release date for Outlander via IGN. You can look for Howard McCain's film - a spin on the "Beowulf" legend - on DVD May 19th. Various featurettes and bonus material will be contained in this presentation. For exact specs click here. Cover art is on the way.

Outlander begins when a space craft crashes into the majestic fjords of ancient Norway and into the time of the Vikings. From the wreckage emerge two bitter enemies: a soldier from another world – Kainan – and a bloodthirsty creature known as the Moorwen. Man and monster both seeking revenge for violence committed against them. As the Moorwen ravages the Viking world, killing everything in its path, Kainan forms an unlikely alliance with the primitive but fierce warriors. Combining his advanced technology with ancient Iron Age weapons, the hero leads a desperate attempt to kill the monster - before it destroys them all.

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9772

March 3, 2009 - Genius Products and The Weinstein Company will be releasing the Viking/sci-fi/actioner Outlander on DVD on May 19th. The disc will include bonus features such as deleted scenes, commentary, visual effects tests, and more.

"In a story described by reviewers as Beowulf meets Predator," the release for the DVD reads, "a spacecraft crash-lands in ancient Norway, bringing with it a bloodthirsty alien beast. As the creature ravages the Viking world, one soldier, the only surviving member of his clan, attempts to form an alliance with two warring Viking tribes, combining advanced technology with Iron Age weaponry to hunt the beast before it can destroy them all."

The film stars Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ), Sophia Myles (Underworld), Ron Perlman (Hellboy), and John Hurt (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull). The Outlander DVD will retail for $19.97 and include the following bonus features:

* Deleted Scenes

* Commentary by Writer/Director Howard McCain, Writer Dirk Blackman, and Producer Chris Roberts and John Schimmel

* Visual Effects Tests

* Animatics

* Production Design Galleries

Source: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/958/958830p1.html